Humans or Mutants

#1 Posted by BklynProphet (5 posts) - - Show Bio

So I been reading the stats on the students and noticed that all of them are considered Human.Now last time I checked in the Mavel Universe,when a humans manifest powers around pubity,their considered mutants with that being they were born with the X-Gene.Now even though these characters have not mentioned anything about having an X-Gene,most of the students manifested their powers while they were in there early teenage yrs and most of the students with the exception of Reptil were not exposed to any objects,magic or chemicals that imbued them with these abilities.Now since mutants have been in Marvel comics,you dont just have regular humans just naturally manifesting powers in their teenage yrs and still be considered Humans.Maybe in the DC Comic Universe that happens but not in the Marvel Universe.Same thing goes for Speed and Wiccan from The Young Avengers.Nothing is mentioned why they have powers although in their past lives they were the twins sons of The Scarlet Witch who is herself a mutant/witch.My point is the Marvel comic book writers are forgetting the order of Balance in the Marvel Universe.Maybe the decimation of Mutants will soon come to an end and these characters will some how get an X-Gene to explain how they ,manifested powers.

#2 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

If they don't have the X-gene they aren't mutants. There might be something in their histories that haven't been revealed yet as to how they gained their powers. Finesse has powers like Taskmaster and may even be his daughter, he manifested powers for no reason. Speed and Wiccan exist because they are Scarlet Witch's children, they are a product of her warping reality so they are not mutants. They could be the start of a new breed of superhumans who have powers but don't receive them from an X-Gene, possibly as a consequence of Wanda warping reality.

#3 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

Aside from Reptil (who's powers are derived from a mystical gem), they all developed their powers after House of M. The only mutants to have registered on Cerebra since House of M are Hope & The Lights.

If the students of Avengers Academy were mutants, then the X-Men would have liberated them from Osborn's facilities long before they'd raised their slimey sunken asteroid from the bottom of San Francisco bay.

#4 Edited by ComicMan24 (147021 posts) - - Show Bio

After their powers manifested, they were examined for all known mutagenic factors and they were tested negative. They are not mutants. I do hope that a future arc will explain this.

#5 Posted by Kairan1979 (15861 posts) - - Show Bio
@PrinceIMC
I guess you never saw Taskmaster limited series. They retconned his history, explaining that he got his photographic reflexes after injecting a sort of Nazi super-soldier serum.
#6 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kairan1979 said:
@PrinceIMC:  I guess you never saw Taskmaster limited series. They retconned his history, explaining that he got his photographic reflexes after injecting a sort of Nazi super-soldier serum.

I did read it. He had photographic reflexes before that, the serum just pushed him to a higher level.
#7 Posted by cennobite (364 posts) - - Show Bio

Hazmat has interesting abilities no explanation as to where she got them, I wonder what all of the full potentials are since Reptil can fully become a dinosaur now. 

#8 Posted by fodigg (6094 posts) - - Show Bio
@BklynProphet: Yeah, America apparently has a lot of freak accidents resulting in metahumans. I think it was in the Initiative comic that somebody said M-day was great for the US because mutants were the great equalizer in the super-human arms race and then suddenly poof, it's back to origin stories.
#9 Posted by The Impersonator (4311 posts) - - Show Bio

If you take a look at the Isolationist for example. He's not actually a mutant but a new breed of superhuman who also get their powers naturally. An another example would be Eternals. They also don't have an X-gene. A mutant has an X-gene. So the Eternals have an eternal gene? There's also Children of the Vault and they're not mutants as well. Maybe, the Celestials created different kinds of super species long time back. So that would explain what kind of species these young avengers actually are. 

#10 Posted by War Killer (19500 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be interesting if normal humans are now being born with super-human abilities without the X-Gene. With all of these super-humans running around, I wouldn't find that hard to believe.

#11 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

It wouldn't shock me if most of these new heroes are actually children of heroes or villains, leaning more towards villains because so many of them have similar power sets to established villains. And that would explain how they got their powers, for example take Hazmat sorta reminds me of Radioactive Man, sure she is more poison generation, but radiation is a form of poison so its not that far fetched.

#12 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime` said:
It wouldn't shock me if most of these new heroes are actually children of heroes or villains, leaning more towards villains because so many of them have similar power sets to established villains. And that would explain how they got their powers, for example take Hazmat sorta reminds me of Radioactive Man, sure she is more poison generation, but radiation is a form of poison so its not that far fetched.

Radiation is just energy that presents harm when people are exposed to ample doses for long stretches of time...or something. Is Hazmat fully Japanese-American, or is she of mixed descent?
#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27449 posts) - - Show Bio

If it did turn outnsome of them where mutants then IMO they should be referred to Utopia who are the leading experts on the matter 

#14 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1240 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty: Can somebody tell me if Mettle is a Human or a mutant ? Its really bugging me ?

#15 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1240 posts) - - Show Bio

(Sighs)... Why can I get a answer to this question ? Ill I want to know is that if Mettle is a Human or a mutant ? on his profile is says he charator tipe is Radiation but on his back grownd story is says "One of the very key aspects to this character is that he has struggled with the acquisition of respect his entire life. Ever since he was first born with his powers, people did nothing but pity him. This was not what Mettle desired however, his only desire was respect. Nothing more than to be treated as an equal, a basic human right. For years and years people have chosen to pity him, which is what drove Mettle to join the Avengers Academy, to prove that he is indeed deserving of people's respect." So can someone please help ?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.