Giant Man Returns, What Does This Mean For The Avengers?

Posted by G-Man (33825 posts) - - Show Bio
When was the last time we saw a Giant-Man? Several people have used the name "Giant-Man" in the past, including Hank Pym and Bill Foster.  

What seemed to be the case was the individuals would realize that "Giant-Man" is kind of a corny name. They (and even Clint Barton) later went by the name of Goliath when using size-altering powers.  

Today, Marvel has announced that Giant-Man will be returning. The question is, who is Giant-Man now? Obviously someone with blue eyes. Hank Pym does have blue eyes and maybe he realizes that calling himself Wasp isn't the best idea. 

We can probably safely assume it's not Hank. A clue is the fact that this appears to be happening in Avengers Academy. Based on this image, the face has a younger look to it so it's most likely some young new 'hero' that will be taking the name. 

When is this issue coming out and what will be his involvement with the other members of the Avengers Academy? 
 == TEASER == 
We'll find out in December when issue #7 goes on sale. It'll be written by Christos Gage and penciled by Mike McKone. What are your thoughts on another Giant-Man? Is the Marvel Universe ready and big enough for yet another? 

Update:

Apparently Christos Gage spilled the beans on Twitter: 

Staff
#1 Posted by longbowhunter (7077 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers Academy has been really cool so far. I'm excited for this! No idea who it could be though.
#2 Posted by ComicMan24 (147090 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm curious to see who it's going to be.

#3 Posted by leokearon (1802 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting, I wish he had the big eyed helmet though

#4 Posted by Gennadius (244 posts) - - Show Bio

Never been a big fan of Hank/giant man,But I do like Avengers Academy.
#5 Posted by darkwolverineUSMC (315 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe it's Eric O'grady... probably not. I hope it's Hank Pym, I liked him as giant man.

#6 Posted by SupremoMaximo (209 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously it's Hank Pym... They just went back in time and snatched him as a 17 year old and brought him to the future to train him...   

Or.... 

Time displaced son from an alternate dimension... 

Either way it deals with time travel and things going 88 miles per hour..

#7 Posted by eldestrisk (637 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking forward for anything Avengers Academy. It has been great so far.

#8 Posted by Jake Fury (18609 posts) - - Show Bio

Eric Josten?
#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's a bit late to have a new recruit to the Academy (seeing as how all the members have been probed by Osborn).  

Maybe it IS Hank... 

#10 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

honestly this looks kinda lame

#11 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

Did you know? 

Practically half the Marvel Universe have BLUE EYES? 

From Hank Pym to Wolverine

Even Jubilee has blue eyes! 

Btw... I might want to start picking up the new Avengers Academy.  So far IGN Reviews have been giving it a steady 8 out of 10 rating.
#12 Posted by Sobe Cin (599 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope its Pym, he needs to take off that bloody skirt and be a manly man again. But if not, it would be cool for it to be some new kid.
#13 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

Who knows? Should be fun though.

And yeah, Pym going by Wasp is disturbing.

#14 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I've enjoyed this series so far, but I always feel like something bigger & more dramatic is just around the corner... but I never seem to get there. 

But this looks fun!  And it's great to see the Academy getting some press :)

#15 Posted by G-Man (33825 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" I've enjoyed this series so far, but I always feel like something bigger & more dramatic is just around the corner... but I never seem to get there.  But this looks fun!  And it's great to see the Academy getting some press :) "
Well if it's "Giant-Man" waiting around the corner, that's definitely something "bigger."
Staff
#16 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2244 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps it is Hank, but the artist's interpretation was younger.  Maybe this also means the returns of Wasp or that his grieving is over.  
If it is a young Avenger that might be cool too.

Maybe he figures the best way to help these kids is to lead by example and be the most heroic he can, and to him that means becoming Giant Man again.

#17 Edited by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio

Can anybody tell me what the hell is going on with the hand that is supposed to be holding Finesse? Aand what the hell is up with the perspective issues with giant man's legs?! If you are being paid as a professional artist - DO THE JOB LIKE A PROFESSIONAL...ugh 

#18 Posted by swf89 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

A new superhero?

#19 Posted by avengpymhawk (371 posts) - - Show Bio

Not thrilled at all
#20 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Giant Man!

#21 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna guess it's Pym.

Kinda wonder why Giant man's costume is just a big version of the Antman costume though. With antena/ anteni and everything.

#22 Posted by spider-man 2996 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait I'm really loving this series
#23 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2244 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas:  Its sort of a throw back or tribute or something.  Back to classic heroics.

Giant-Man
#24 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@ArtisticNeedham: 

Erm...yeah but even then it was just kinda a big version of Antman.

Hank Pym was Antman before he was Giant man but the Giant man costume look more like and Ant than a Giant.
Why the anteni?
#25 Posted by sora_thekey (8171 posts) - - Show Bio

According to the Ant-Man & The Wasp #1 Solicit:

"And make sure you check out this adventure before the astonishing events of AVENGERS ACADEMY #7 next month!"

So it's probably going to be either Hank Pym or Eric O' Grady...
#26 Posted by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like Pym's Wasp persona.

#27 Posted by sora_thekey (8171 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jordanstine said:
"Btw... I might want to start picking up the new Avengers Academy.  So far IGN Reviews have been giving it a steady 8 out of 10 rating."
You should start picking up avengers Academy... It's great!
So far Comic Vine has been giving the series an Average of 4 out of 5 rating.
#28 Posted by BuddyBulson (427 posts) - - Show Bio

i bet its O'Grady. hmmm yeah.

#29 Posted by fACEmelter88 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

If its Pym alright but I dig him as the Wasp, maybe Eric O' Grady might actually man up or something. But the antennae got to go, i really liked the old Goliath(?) costume that was blue and yellow

#30 Posted by SlightConfuse (105 posts) - - Show Bio

the ant-man/Wasp mini issue 1 is going to be a lead in to this according to the solicts

#31 Posted by SilverZeo (2748 posts) - - Show Bio

What happen to Goliath's nephew? He appeared in After MSash and had a role in What if Iron-Man died...

#32 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the whole Ant-Man/Giant-Man family.  I'm excited to see if this is a new character. 
I wouldn't be UNhappy if it turned out to be Hank, but I'm all for bringing in a new Giant-Man.  Hell, they killed Bill Foster during Civil War!  We need a new big guy running around!

#33 Posted by Comiclove5 (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting.
#34 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

And the real Wasp will be back as well?...Please Marvel?!

#35 Posted by squiresmadnessmachine (303 posts) - - Show Bio
@SupremoMaximo:
oh man that was great i laughed fore like 10 minutes
#36 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
" @Jordanstine said:
"Btw... I might want to start picking up the new Avengers Academy.  So far IGN Reviews have been giving it a steady 8 out of 10 rating."
You should start picking up avengers Academy... It's great!
So far Comic Vine has been giving the series an Average of 4 out of 5 rating. "
It's the best Avengers title out.
#37 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

his legs are horribly done 

#38 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085 said:
" Can anybody tell me what the hell is going on with the hand that is supposed to be holding Finesse? Aand what the hell is up with the perspective issues with giant man's legs?! If you are being paid as a professional artist - DO THE JOB LIKE A PROFESSIONAL...ugh 
"
lol I agree. Looks horrid.
#39 Posted by Dark Noldor (547 posts) - - Show Bio

I´m not so sure that this Giant-man isn´t Hank, ´cause he´s the "teacher" in the Academy and, let´s face it, his aliase as The Wasp isn´t a best sign that he´s on top mental health condition (everybody remember his problems as Yellow Jacket). I´m betting that is Hank Pym.

#40 Posted by Jake Fury (18609 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jordanstine:
It's excellent.
#41 Posted by G-Man (33825 posts) - - Show Bio

UPDATE: 

Staff
#42 Posted by ComicMan24 (147090 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: Really? That reminds me the article you made about heroes changing identities. He changes his identities every few years.
#43 Posted by Midnight Monk (225 posts) - - Show Bio

Most likely just a new addition to the Academy, hell there been so many size changing heroes it's no surprise that a new one would show up. To be honest though, I rather Hank stay being the Wasp, despite the name not fitting I personally think his current suit looks kick-ass

#44 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man:
well....cool! 
and hopefully that means we could see the return of Jan????? 
maybe??? 
do hate a pointless death that is almost instantly undone 
but I love Jan 
so I'll accept this time 
....and probably next time too, let's be honest 
Glad to see Pym back as Giant man though 
it suits him
#45 Posted by War Killer (20184 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
"

UPDATE: 

"
SWEEET! This means Marvel's getting ready to bring Giant-Man to the big screens!!! ^_^
#46 Posted by Dark Noldor (547 posts) - - Show Bio

Guessed right...it´s Hank Pym
  AVENGERS ACADEMY #7
Written by CHRISTOS GAGE
Pencils & Cover by MIKE McKONE
Variant Cover by ED McGUINNESS
Tron Variant by BRANDON PETERSON
This is it: The BIG return of Giant-Man! Founding Avenger Hank Pym has been a scientist, a hero, a disgrace, a convict, and -- after a long road of redemption -- he's the headmaster of Avengers Academy. But now, at long last, Pym returns to his greatest role...that's right, Giant-Man returns in this historic issue!  But even with his students at his side, can he stand up to one of the most powerful villains in the Marvel Universe, a man who can become every bit as gigantic as he is? Find out in the latest chapter of the series that ComicBookResources.com hails as “a fine addition to the Heroic Age.”

#47 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll keep buying. 

I don't particularly care for Hank Pym (though he is more interesting of late) or Quicksilver but Avengers Academy has been very good not just in spite of them, but in part because of them.
#48 Posted by RoosterCogburn (209 posts) - - Show Bio

Great news. Hank Pym rules.
I started reading comics with Pym in them when he was Giant Man so that's the persona i like him best as.

#49 Posted by Loki9876 (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

now he is giant-man can he still shrink?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.