Get psyched for Avengers Academy!

• 81 results
Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

If you haven't been buying Avengers Academy, you have been missing out on one of the best treasures that Marvel has to offer! But don't worry! Next month, Avengers Academy is starting a new Status Quo that is a perfect opportunity to jump onto the book with issue 21!

Why should you get excited? Do you like X-23? The Runaways? The Sentinel? Julie Power? Not only will you have this plethora of stars staring and guest staring in the book, but you'll also experience the team living in the West Coast Mansion, with teachers like Hank Pym and Hawkeye! And beyond the simple guest stars, you'll get to know the five new stars that have been capturing the attention of many fans for the past year!

And what is coming your way? How about a murder mystery of an Avenger, that puts all the students as suspects? A confrontation between Magneto and his son Quicksilver? Hank Pym finally meeting his grandson, Runways' Victor? And if that's not enough, how about a 2 issue rumble between the Academy Kids and the Runaways? Julie Power vs. Karolina, Striker vs. Victor, Molly vs. Mettle, Hazmat vs. Nico!

So don't miss out! Try Avengers Academy 21 next month, or give the previous issues a shot! The first six issues may start slow, but the book has been increasingly been getting better and better, with writer Christos Gage constantly listening to fan input! I guarantee, you'll won't be let down!

Avengers Academy 21
AVENGERS ACADEMY #23
Avengers Academy 24
Avengers Academy 27

Don't miss out!

#1 Posted by King Saturn (224157 posts) - - Show Bio
well the artwork looks great that's for sure
#2 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@King Saturn: The earlier artists were kinda spotty for the series, but it seems like some good talent is getting on board.

#3 Posted by OldManJoe (90 posts) - - Show Bio

I might pick is up in the nere future.

#4 Posted by punkpuppy3 (178 posts) - - Show Bio

Why can't this be out now?!?

#5 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@OldManJoe: Issue 21 is coming out next week and is the perfect time to hop onboard. Try it out then!

@punkpuppy3: An issue in 2 days and an issue next week isn't that long of a wait at all! It's almost here!

#6 Posted by Mr. Mercury (19506 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers Academy is a hidden gem.

#7 Posted by MatKrenz (1233 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I have something in my eye. I believe it is called a tear of joy because my favorite team will be back in a comic book in march. Yeah they will be in Daken but my shop doesn't get that series so I have no idea when im going to get those issues. But march will be a good month for me. If only they could find a writer for the series, I mean is it that hard figure out a good Runaways story ? I have a great pitch for Marvel.

#8 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh... Another Teen Titans-esque team...

#9 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr. Mercury: It certainly is.

@MatKrenz: Runaways is hard to keep going. You A) have to keep the team on the Run, B) have to have them outsmart Marvel Heroes constantly, and C) They can't grow it. Runaways isn't made for long term series.

@ssejllenrad: How about you actually TRY to read the team? This series is at least trying to create it's own path. Isn't that better than knowing that "Lex Luthor will Fight Superman again" or "Batman will fight Joker again," or "Iron Man is drinking again" or "Thor is dead, AGAIN"? Avengers Academy is at least trying to something that's different from the repetitive grind that other heroes books are doing.

And these kids are different. They aren't sidekicks like the Teen Titans or Legacies like the Young Avengers. These are the kids who may become villains if they don't stay on the right path, and seeing them grow and mature makes this series all the more amazing.

#10 Posted by JediXMan (30586 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cafeterialoca

.... I just died a little.

MARVEL! STOP PUTTING X-23 ON KID TEAMS! LET HER GROW UP YOU HACKS!
#11 Posted by Mr. Mercury (19506 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

O_o Have you read Avengers Academy?

#12 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: Now hold on there. X-23 actually fits on this team very well, and here's why.

The Academy kids were all tortured and experimented on by Norman Osborn, something that X-23 is familiar with. Two of the Academy kids just killed, one intentional and unintentional, which is something they can relate to with X-23. Finally, X-23 was a fan idea for this book, which Gage thought was great.

But really, X-23 CAN'T age. What's going to make her different if they speed up her aging? Not to mention, how can she be older while everyone around her are still her age? Again, X-23 will be a good fit in Academy, especially since she doesn't want to choose between Cyclops or Wolverine.

And if you haven't tried Avengers Academy yet, just try it this week or next. You may love the idea once you try the book!

#13 Posted by Captain Danvers (149 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers Academy was better when it was called AVENGERS INITIATIVE.

#14 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr. Mercury: You should do what I do and recommend the book around. Word of mouth is what this book needs.

@Captain Danvers: Initiative was a great book. But it couldn't have last once the "Iron Man reign of Terror" ended. Academy has become just as good a title in a different vein. If the first six issues are what turned you off, skip ahead and enjoy the book actually letting these kids develop.

#15 Posted by JediXMan (30586 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cafeterialoca

I liked Academy when I read it, I admit. It was my "calm" comic in a sea of dark stuff. It was good, and honestly, it was my favorite Avengers title. I might pick it up again. We'll see. I dropped almost all of the Marvel titles except some X-Men ones to make room for new DC stuff (that and Fear Itself was the last straw).

But X-23 doesn't act her age, and I don't like the idea of her "learning" from these guys. She's more fitted being with tortured adults (Gambit, Wolverine... well any X-Man, really) than tortured kids. She's not a child anymore and they shouldn't be trying to "reclaim her innocence" or whatever crap they're trying to do. It's not physical age; it's mental age and maturity. She's above these guys.

Also, I hate Arena and Nomad. Not on topic but it's related to teen heroes.
#16 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: I think the new status quo for Academy would be a great time to hop back on board.

And I think that being part of Academy doesn't necessarily means she's being demoted, but instead just allows her to get a fresh start away from the people who already know her. Besides, we don't know what Gage has in store for her.

Well, Nomad's dead, so you're fine there. Spider-Girl is still in Academy, but she'll be a background character. The Cast is the Main 8 kids right now. (Besides, I kinda like Arana's interactions with Reptil in this book.)

#17 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

You desperately need to read Avengers Academy.

#18 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: Not to pile on, but believe me when I say that many DC fans I know love Avengers Academy. Just saying, it's doing something great.

#19 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio

ooooo is that the Runaways I see there...

#20 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@texasdeathmatch: They are indeed! For a two issue arc that starts in March! It also features the rematch of Julie Powers vs. Karolina! Cause we remember last time.

#21 Edited by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cafeterialoca: Yeah, its been a while since I read the series, I was a little sad when they just randomly stopped coming out with new issues.
#22 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@texasdeathmatch: To be fair, the later issues were kinda bad... But yeah, this is their big comeback. And what's also amazing, this was fan suggested. Gage was able to make this work cause Victor is Pym's Grandchild.

Also, if you haven't tried Avengers Academy, you really should. It may fill that Runaways itch you have.

#23 Edited by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

Good thread. I'm really anticipating the next couple of issues. Bringing in these new members opens up much more possibilities.

And I don't have a problem with X-23 joining the team. She is somewhat of a popular character and it might get more people to check the book out.

#24 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@WildStyle: Yeah, this shakeup seems like the kick in the pants this book need. And agree. X-23 might help get more people into the book. I don't mind her, so it's cool. (Though I do get annoyed at her fans who claim she's Marvel's Best Female and that she should kill all other young heroes...)

#25 Posted by JediXMan (30586 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cafeterialoca said:

@JediXMan: I think the new status quo for Academy would be a great time to hop back on board.

And I think that being part of Academy doesn't necessarily means she's being demoted, but instead just allows her to get a fresh start away from the people who already know her. Besides, we don't know what Gage has in store for her.

Well, Nomad's dead, so you're fine there. Spider-Girl is still in Academy, but she'll be a background character. The Cast is the Main 8 kids right now. (Besides, I kinda like Arana's interactions with Reptil in this book.)

Nomad is dead?! YES!!! When did this happen? Oh she pissed me off so much...

I might pick it up. It starts with issue #21?
#26 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: Onslaught Unleashed. (And I liked Nomad...)

And Issue 21 starts next week. 20 comes out in two days.

#27 Posted by JediXMan (30586 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cafeterialoca said:

@JediXMan: Onslaught Unleashed. (And I liked Nomad...)

And Issue 21 starts next week. 20 comes out in two days.

But the new "status quo" starts with #21?
#28 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: Yes. 21 is the new status quo.

#29 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: @Cafeterialoca: Fine. I'll give it a chance. :D

@Mr. Mercury said:

@ssejllenrad said:

O_o Have you read Avengers Academy?

With the comment I just made, obviously, I haven't. :p

#30 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: We hope you'll like it!

#31 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cafeterialoca: I apologize for dissing on the series. I took (stole) some from a friend's stack and I now am set to read from the 1st comic up to issue 14. I can't say I'm hooked but I'm pretty interested.

#32 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: Be sure to check out 14.1!

#33 Posted by Squares (6473 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta say, some of that art was kind of...meh.

@Captain Danvers: AGREED.

#34 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squares: It may not be the best art, but there has been some solid artwork for the book. Though AA 20 did have a bad artist, I'll admit.

Also, did you even buy Youth in Revolt? That was Initiative 2.0, and sadly because of low sales, it'll probably won't come back.

#35 Posted by Squares (6473 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cafeterialoca: The art was pretty good. Usually as long as it's not Frank Quietly drawing things, I'm happy. That man hates noses.

I read the Fear Itself tie-in and was not impressed. The thing I liked about The Initiative was more the premise than the characters.

#36 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squares: Ah. Yeah, Youth in Revolt was kinda weak. Though I do really like the Initaitive Characters. But damn it all, I REALLY hated Avengers Resistance.

#37 Posted by Squares (6473 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cafeterialoca: Avengers what now? I'm looking this up...

Oh. Yeah, that thing. I forgot they had a proper name. Kinda skipped over most of those parts during Dark Reign, actually- I don't like Tigra.

I take it you probably preferred the first Initiative team, yes? The other two were kind of...hurried, I think.

#38 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squares: Well, it's not like the others had characters beyond Crusader and Diamondback. Btw, Diamondback is actually one of my favorite characters.

And yeah, Tigra can be tolerable to just plain bitch.

#39 Posted by Squares (6473 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cafeterialoca:Women like her piss me off incredibly, especially when people are all like 'YOU GO GIRL' for being rude. I don't really see how people can stand interacting with her on a daily basis. But she doesn't show up often in the comics I read, so it's not a big deal. n_n

#40 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squares: Oh I agree. I mean, last issue of AA, her bitch side was starting to show again. Really, that's the side of her I want to see less of.

#41 Posted by Duchess (5995 posts) - - Show Bio

There's gonna be an upcoming Avengers Academy vs Jean Grey's School for Higher Learning, excited for that.

#42 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

So the Avengers are based in New York while Avengers Academy is in California. Meanwhile the X-Men are based on Utopia in California while Wolverine has opened a new school in New York. That's kinda funny.

#43 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is the new White Tiger again?

#44 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

I just read through this thread, I have to say - you convinced me to go out tomorrow and pick up this book. I will go back to #1 (although you all are saying #20 onwards is good enough), but just wanted to let you know - great job in exposing this team's virtues. Better be as good as you all say! :)

#45 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@Duchess: Indeed! Gage actually confirmed that everyone is for it and that it's only a matter of time before we get it! I'm very happy for it!

@PrinceIMC: Huh, that is pretty funny now that you mention it.

@RainEffect: We don't know yet. We yet to explore her.

#46 Posted by Halle Romanova (500 posts) - - Show Bio

Was planning on jumping on with 23. May start with 21 instead now.

#47 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Glad you're on board! I will tell you that the earlier issues are weaker than what the series becomes, as it's laying out the groundwork for the 6 main cast members and leaves them with their flaws first. But it becomes much better once the introductions are out of the way by issue 6. Also, yeah, the earlier issues suffer from some pop culture references, but they drop that after a while.

But welcome on board! (And it was 21 onwards, which comes out Wed.)

#48 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@Halle Romanova: X-23 fan I take it? And if the clues are right, she might show up in 22 as well. Though 21 may be the best place because it'll set the mood. Not to mention that you'll get 2 issues in to get used to teh characters.

#49 Posted by Halle Romanova (500 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cafeterialoca: She's one of my absolute favorite characters. You said that 21 was the start of a new arc, though? As long as it's not in the middle of something, I'll be happy to jump on then. I've heard a lot of great things about this book.

#50 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

@Halle Romanova: Yeah, issue 21 is very much a start of a new era. (It even says 1st of a new era on the cover). It comes out Wed, and it judging by the preview pages, it's working to get people up to speed fast.

And yes, it has climbed to the top of my must read books.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.