johnkmccubbin91's Avengers #18 - Avengers Universe I review

The Council Gathers

Now I haven't been reviewing this series, and don't actually get the series straight away, with a friend allowing me to read theirs when it's first out. I have however decided to review this series, as well New Avengers throughout Infinity.

Plot

The Galactic Council get a new member in the form of Skrull leader, Kl'rt, and the Avengers take the fight to the Builders.

Review

This was a brilliant issue, and although it wasn't quite perfect, it was amazing tie-in issue, and extremely enjoyable to read. Jonathan Hickman did a great job of continuing from where Infinity #1 left off, as although it may be awkward for anyone following the Avengers series, who hasn't been reading Infinity to get into, it was still very well handled. I also loved how Hickman managed to give a exciting, and interesting issue, which follows on from Infinity, without affecting the main story too much, as although it's following on from the events in that series, it's became it's own unique side story. I also loved the pacing of this issue, and how it had plenty of suspense, and drama.

The art on this issue was simply outstanding, and Leinil Francis Yu did a spectacular job. The detail was simply amazing, as with everything that's going on in these panels you'd expect a bit of sloppiness, or inconsistency from most artists, but Yu proves why he's one of the best artist in the business today. The depth to his layouts were also sensational, adding great drama, and tone to the issue. I also loved the way he drew all the characters, with them all looking amazing, also showing great facial expressions. The action was also brilliantly handled, being very explosive, and exciting, also giving more tone, and with Yu working on the art for at least the rest of Infinity I'll be looking forward to every issue from now on.

This issue would focus on the Skrull leader Kl'rt, who is better known as the Super-Skrull, showing him coming to the Galactic Council, and telling of his encounter with the Builders. It's always nice to see Kl'rt make an appearance, and this time was no different, as his tale was both exciting, and dramatic. It was also interesting to see for the first time a weakness in the Builders, as although they appear to still have an upper hand, this would show that they aren't invincible.

Besides this it was nice to see the Galactic Council involved, as with the threat of the universe on the line, it is natural for them to get involved, and following their appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy it's nice to see them feature in this great cosmic event. I also felt that Hickman handled the characters perfectly, and I loved the professional attitude that came from the Council, as despite Kl'rt's tale, they were still wary of fighting the Builders.

Now with all this going on it didn't give a lot of time for the Avengers to get involved, but they wouldn't be left out, it is shown that Captain America's group of Avengers that headed into space at the end of Infinity #1 have arrived at the Council as well. Now I won't go into any details about what the Avengers do in this issue, as it'd give away major plot details, and I like to avoid spoilers as much as possible. I will however say that they had an exciting, and dramatic role in the issue, and considering what they actually did in this issue, I very much look forward to the next part of Infinity, as well as both the next issue of this series, and the New Avengers tie-ins, as this series has seriously got exciting.

Final Verdict

This was an amazing issue, and one of the best tie-in issues that I've read tie-in wise. It is however not a great issue for anyone who isn't following Infinity, as although it is exciting, and entertaining, it may be a bit confusing. Due to this I'll be lowering the rating slightly, having wanted to give it the full five stars. I would however highly recommend it to anyone who has been following Infinity, but unless you are considering getting Infinity it's probably best to leave this issue alone.

Rating: 4/5

Posted by broo1232

I'd give it a 5 since I loved it, but I think considering it's got Infinity over the title it's a little more obvious that you have to read the main book before this. Great review though.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@broo1232: Yeah, but I think that some people who have been following the series but not wanting to get Infinity might be annoyed (though I doubt there's many people who've been getting this that don't want Infinity). It was so close to a 5, but I just couldn't (wish there were still 4.5's).

Edited by broo1232

@johnkmccubbin91: I doubt people reading the series would miss out on Infinity since Infintity spins out of plot lines from both this and New Avengers, so it doesn't make sense to just read this. I have minor issue which would amount to a 4.5, but I rounded up due to the art.

Edited by johnkmccubbin91

@broo1232: Yeah, but there were are a few minor things that made it not quite a 5, and I felt that it was closer to 4 than 5, but it was a very small margin.

Posted by broo1232

@johnkmccubbin91: I'm hovering between the two, but I think because of the epic scale of this book also because I love the Skrulls, and this was a great appearance by them, plus the bit with Spider-woman was good.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@broo1232: Yes I really enjoyed the Spider-Woman bit, but there was still the odd thing that brought it down for me, but that's just my opinion.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@broo1232: Just small stuff like the way Kl'rt acted, as he didn't seem like the same character he was as the Super-Skrull. Also the suddenness of the Avengers going to battle. Very small things though, and this was probably one of the better issues barring 15 and 16.

Posted by broo1232

@johnkmccubbin91: I haven't read Superskrull in a lot of stuff so can't judge that particularly, and maybe it was sudden, but it got the plot moving. This is one of my favourite issues easily really liked it.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@broo1232: It's just that in the past Super-Skrull had so much aggression, and passion whereas he was more laid back in this, though that was a very small thing, and it was still dramatic. The Avengers thing was also a very minor problem, and didn't affect much, but both them, added to the fact that it's not really new reader friendly made the mark drop, though it would have easily been a 4.5 if I could, as like I said only 15 and 16 were possibly better, and I'm sure the remaining tie-ins will surpass them as well.

Posted by broo1232

@johnkmccubbin91: I thought he had, but I think and this is guessing he may have been severely affected by the loss of his powers, and the fact that he is now in charge of a part of the Skrull empire, and responsibility has overtaken him. I'm giving it a 4 now as I felt the book took a while to get going, and it could have had a little more character work (although I think that's what the tie-ins are for)

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@broo1232: Yeah I agree with what you said the time it took to get going was another factor I forgot to mention.

Edited by johnkmccubbin91
Edited by MarvelMan1985

By comics yourself as well, for shame :(

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@marvelman1985: I do eventually get them myself. I buy plenty enough comics with some I can't get. I also allow my friend to read some of my comics that they can't afford as well.