Off A Fan's Mind: Scale for Transformer's sizes

#1 Posted by MrDirector786 (43395 posts) - - Show Bio

I am pretty sure than any big fan of Transformers like me has noticed that throughout many different Transformers series, there's always been some issues with their size. For example, some Transformers that become things like cars are somehow like 50 feet tall in their robot modes. The size of their robot modes makes you wonder how they fit every part of themselves into their vehicle modes. Megatron's G1 transformation was definitely one of the biggest issues of size because he would turn into a gun that could fit into other transformer's hands and sometimes even human's hands. The IDW publishing comic series made an explanation for Megatron's size change when he transforms by saying that it's "mass displacement" where he actually loses a lot of mass as he transforms into a gun. Optimus commented that the energy expenditure from mass displacement is enormous. However, that doesn't help explain every size change in every TF series. And then sometimes, there are size changes that just make your head spin trying to think about them. Beast Wars had some of the strangest sizes. In it, Megatron was a Tyrannosaurus Rex and yet he was about the same size as Optimus who was a gorilla. Then let's not forget Rattrap who became a rat but was as big as Cheetor in his rat mode which would make him a really big rat (and a really big pest problem if all rats were that big). So what does everyone else think about these size issues in Transformers? How do you deal with them? Do you actually try to think of something to explain their size or do you just roll with it no matter how off-scale then seem to get?

#2 Posted by danhimself (22278 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786:  for the most part I've just rolled with it but one thing has bothered me since Beast Wars....whenever they show their protoforms they're usually pretty small compared to the disguise forms that they take...it's kind of the same question...but where do the extra parts come from like the car bodies and what not???
#3 Posted by MrDirector786 (43395 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" @MrDirector786:  for the most part I've just rolled with it but one thing has bothered me since Beast Wars....whenever they show their protoforms they're usually pretty small compared to the disguise forms that they take...it's kind of the same question...but where do the extra parts come from like the car bodies and what not??? "
That's a good question about where their parts come from. I always thought that maybe their bodies have some systems that make it so that their parts change to look like the parts of the vehicle they scanned or something like that. Though where they get the rubber tires and glass windows, I have no clue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.