Hasbro Plans on making a single Transformers Continuity

#1 Posted by MrDirector786 (43399 posts) - - Show Bio

While I was off hanging around in the Transformers forums on another site, I happened to come across this message from Hasbro to someone answering the question of whether War for Cybertron and Transformers: Prime are in the same continuity.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:00 AM
Subject: From Hasbro's Transformers brand

Hello,

A question was recently posed to Hasbro’s UK office asking if the Transformers Prime television series and the Transformers War for Cybertron video game were in a connected continuity. Unfortunately the wrong answer was delivered and that answer has made its way to the fan community. The TRANSFORMERS brand team would like to confirm that Transformers War for Cybertron video game, Transformers Exodus novel, and the Transformers Prime television show are in the same aligned continuity. Hasbro is creating a single continuity to tell the bulk of our TRANSFORMERS stories going forward.

Please look for further details about the continuity plan and new projects over the next year.

Sincerely,
Joe Moscone
on behalf of Hasbro, Inc.

Personally, I'm not sure I like the sound of this. War For Cybertron and Prime already have continuity issues and from what I have heard Exodus doesn't fit into continuity with the other two either. And now it seems they plan on having most future Transformers stories to take place in one continuity. I wouldn't have really had a problem if Prime and War for Cybertron fit into continuity with each other but now I don't know what to say. I don't mind some Transformers series taking place in the same continuity, but I don't want ever series from now on to take place in one universe, partly because of the potential continuity errors it will make but primarily because I like having multiple Transformers universes. As some people in that forum said, the folks at Hasbro probably haven't even played War for Cybertron or watched Prime at all. If they did, they would realize that they couldn't possibly be in the same continuity based off of the events that occurred in both of them.

But what do all think of this? For Transformers fans out there on this site, I think you should really need to see this.

#2 Posted by danhimself (22278 posts) - - Show Bio

this would be an excellent idea if Prime and War for Cybertron didn't already have tons of continuity issues....I really hope that they don't screw around with IDW's Transformers series

#3 Posted by MrDirector786 (43399 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" this would be an excellent idea if Prime and War for Cybertron didn't already have tons of continuity issues....I really hope that they don't screw around with IDW's Transformers series "
Agreed. I didn't mind that War for Cybertron and Prime were going to be in the same continuity but then they had a bunch of continuity issues. I also hope they don't screw with IDW's series.
#4 Posted by danhimself (22278 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786 said:
" @danhimself said:
" this would be an excellent idea if Prime and War for Cybertron didn't already have tons of continuity issues....I really hope that they don't screw around with IDW's Transformers series "
Agreed. I didn't mind that War for Cybertron and Prime were going to be in the same continuity but then they had a bunch of continuity issues. I also hope they don't screw with IDW's series. "
I think that Hasbro needs to license the Transformers stories out and then just leave them alone...Hasbro should focus on making toys and that's it...it seems to me that they're only interested in making money and that's the reason why we have so many different Transformers continuities right now....more continuities means more versions of the same character for them to make toys based off of
#5 Posted by MrDirector786 (43399 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" I think that Hasbro needs to license the Transformers stories out and then just leave them alone...Hasbro should focus on making toys and that's it...it seems to me that they're only interested in making money and that's the reason why we have so many different Transformers continuities right now....more continuities means more versions of the same character for them to make toys based off of "
Yeah. Also, looking back at that response, I noticed that part about "further details of the continuity plan and new projects over the next year." I don't know exactly what they mean by further details of the continuity plan, but I hope it will be something good.
#6 Posted by danhimself (22278 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786 said:
" @danhimself said:
" I think that Hasbro needs to license the Transformers stories out and then just leave them alone...Hasbro should focus on making toys and that's it...it seems to me that they're only interested in making money and that's the reason why we have so many different Transformers continuities right now....more continuities means more versions of the same character for them to make toys based off of "
Yeah. Also, looking back at that response, I noticed that part about "further details of the continuity plan and new projects over the next year." I don't know exactly what they mean by further details of the continuity plan, but I hope it will be something good. "
maybe they include fixing the continuity
#7 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know much about Transformers, but a single continuity can only be a good thing, imo. That's why Star Wars works so well and is so easy to pick up and get into.

#8 Posted by Lantern Prime (13044 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786 said:
"While I was off hanging around in the Transformers forums on another site, I happened to come across this message from Hasbro to someone answering the question of whether War for Cybertron and Transformers: Prime are in the same continuity.   ---------- Forwarded message ----------Date: Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:00 AMSubject: From Hasbro's Transformers brandHello,A question was recently posed to Hasbro’s UK office asking if the Transformers Prime television series and the Transformers War for Cybertron video game were in a connected continuity. Unfortunately the wrong answer was delivered and that answer has made its way to the fan community. The TRANSFORMERS brand team would like to confirm that Transformers War for Cybertron video game, Transformers Exodus novel, and the Transformers Prime television show are in the same aligned continuity. Hasbro is creating a single continuity to tell the bulk of our TRANSFORMERS stories going forward. Please look for further details about the continuity plan and new projects over the next year.Sincerely,Joe Mosconeon behalf of Hasbro, Inc.     Personally, I'm not sure I like the sound of this. War For Cybertron and Prime already have continuity issues and from what I have heard Exodus doesn't fit into continuity with the other two either. And now it seems they plan on having most future Transformers stories to take place in one continuity. I wouldn't have really had a problem if Prime and War for Cybertron fit into continuity with each other but now I don't know what to say. I don't mind some Transformers series taking place in the same continuity, but I don't want ever series from now on to take place in one universe, partly because of the potential continuity errors it will make but primarily because I like having multiple Transformers universes. As some people in that forum said, the folks at Hasbro probably haven't even played War for Cybertron or watched Prime at all. If they did, they would realize that they couldn't possibly be in the same continuity based off of the events that occurred in both of them.  But what do all think of this? For Transformers fans out there on this site, I think you should really need to see this. "

I think this old news my friend...
#9 Posted by MrDirector786 (43399 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" I don't know much about Transformers, but a single continuity can only be a good thing, imo. That's why Star Wars works so well and is so easy to pick up and get into. "
It could be a good thing but the problem is that the new Transformers: Prime TV show and the War for Cybertron game, which Hasbro stated to be in the same continuity, have a bunch of continuity errors. Like in War for Cybertron which takes place when the war was still being waged only on Cybertron, Decepticons used dark energon all the time, and yet in Prime, where they are on Earth now, they just discovered dark energon.
#10 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786: Huh, that's really odd. Probably just dumb writing. 

I played/own War for Cybertron, I love that game. The fights against Trypticon and Omega Supreme were epic.
#11 Posted by MrDirector786 (43399 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lantern Prime: I know, but I didn't find out about it till recently. I wish I had found it sooner....
#12 Posted by MrDirector786 (43399 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @MrDirector786: Huh, that's really odd. Probably just dumb writing.   I played/own War for Cybertron, I love that game. The fights against Trypticon and Omega Supreme were epic. "
I wouldn't say it's bad writing. I think the real problem is Hasbro doesn't know much about their own franchise. Some people say that they probably haven't even played War for Cybertron or watched Transformers Prime at all. I think danhimself made a good point that they should just license the stories and stuff and then leave it alone since they seem mostly interested in just making money. The people at hasbro aren't the one's who write the stories for the shows, comics, or other media but they own the Transformers franchise so when they say they're in the same continuity, they technically are, but they don't fit together at all. If the people at Hasbro actually played WFC or watched Prime, they would realize they couldn't be in the same continuity at all. The only thing Hasbro actually does with the franchise is make toys and license the franchise to others to make comics, games, or whatever. They should just keep it as that. I don't know if I'm saying this correctly, because I feel I'm kind of stumbling, but I hope you'll at least get my point.
#13 Posted by danhimself (22278 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786:  just wanted to say...nice avatar...I love his new body I think it's his best look since G1 ...I can't wait to see what his new vehicle mode is
#14 Posted by MrDirector786 (43399 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" @MrDirector786:  just wanted to say...nice avatar...I love his new body I think it's his best look since G1 ...I can't wait to see what his new vehicle mode is "
Thanks. I made a thread about his new armor in the Megatron forums. I thought his picture on the cover of Transformers issue 15 looked really.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.