Kill Aunt May

Posted by Bald Eagle (77 posts) - - Show Bio

Ever since Marvel decided that Aunt May was more important to Peter Parker/Spiderman than some major episodes in his life I have been disappointed with how his world is now.  Though more a fan of Gwen Stacy than Mary Jane.  Gwen was dead and he was with Mary Jane. Fine, I could live that.   They finally killed Harry Osborn which was good since he was always a pale imitation to his father in my opinion.   And  I know part of the reason for changing things was to give Peter his secret identity back, which they should have never revealed to the world in the first place.   Just like Clone Saga, which they  messed up and almost told us pretty much everything we knew was a lie.  Just like now in OMIT, they're giving us stupid ways to change Spiderman history.  If you read the first part of the OMIT story line, you know what i'm talking about.
 
Now for my real argument for killing off Aunt May.   I don't think she's that great of a supporting character.  Instead of all these near deaths, a real death would have alot more meaning in Peter's life.  Quit teasing me and just kill her off already. 
 
In "What If" 46 way back in 1984 was a story of if Uncle Ben had lived.  In the story Aunt May dies instead and eventually Ben finds out why.  But instead of being a sickly, frail person Peter always has to worry about, Ben is a mentor telling Peter to fight crime not out of guilt but to do some good in the world.  Though in the story their are some bumps in the road Peter is better off with someone who knows his secret and can give advice.  Not someone he has to hide part of his life from and to worry about all the time. 
 
I'm not  saying they bring back Uncle Ben,  but quit trying to keep him so young.  Read Ultimate Spiderman if what you want is a younger spiderman.   Making  him in his 20's and married without a mother figure(Aunt May)  doesn't make Peter seem old.  I've known alot of married people when they were in their 20's.  It doesn't make them seem older or more mature.  They weren't. 

#1 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Sir,I like you

#2 Posted by Hamz (342 posts) - - Show Bio

Completely agree with you. This should of happened a long time ago.
 
/signed.

#3 Posted by Rosebunse (151 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, a nice, meaningful death would do her justice.
#4 Posted by conformist21 (413 posts) - - Show Bio

your only father figure, you first love, and now your aunt dies?
i know brand new day is ending soon, but that'd be horrific for even spidey

#5 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rosebunse:  ...provided it takes. Death doesn't seem to mean much in comics, these days. Still, I agree. Done properly, it could be pivotal event, not just in Parker's life but in comic history.
#6 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

The last time someone tried to kill off Aunt May, Peter beat the tar out of them.

#7 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

I like you sir. Time too finally kill her.

#8 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver Knight75 said:
" The last time someone tried to kill off Aunt May, Peter beat the tar out of them. "
and it was the most awesome thing ever.
#9 Edited by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:

" @Silver Knight75 said:

" The last time someone tried to kill off Aunt May, Peter beat the tar out of them. "
and it was the most awesome thing ever. "

He din't do that for neither Gwn nor MJ.
#10 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:

" @Silver Knight75 said:

" The last time someone tried to kill off Aunt May, Peter beat the tar out of them. "
and it was the most awesome thing ever. "
He din't do that for neither Gwn nor MJ. "
Yes he did. He beat the hell out of the Goblin. And Mary's never been in that situation.
#11 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: No?I remember some...like when she was kidnapped.
#12 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: That's a bit different though. He could save her. Aunt May was stuffed. But I know what you're getting at.
#13 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: So you understand. I used to like Aunt May but now...not so much, well not at all.
#14 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel that Aunt May is another factor that separates Spider-Man from other heroes (well maybe not Batman since he has Alfred).

#15 Posted by Girth (1041 posts) - - Show Bio

Aunt May should have died in Back in Black.

#16 Posted by cbishop (7386 posts) - - Show Bio

You'd all miss her if she was gone.  In the original continuity for Superman, Ma and Pa Kent were dead and gone (or maybe just Pa was - I forget).  When they revamped him in 1987, they brought back both parents, and found it to be a great part of the stories.  You think you'd like it if she was gone, but you would miss that part of the story eventually. 
 
Also, I know it's a fictional character, but wishing she were dead so Peter doesn't have to worry about her anymore is an incredibly cynical view on things.  Let's take away his responsibility to his family so he can take responsibility for stopping criminals?  Does that seem skewed to anyone else?

#17 Edited by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@conformist21 said:

" your only father figure, you first love, and now your aunt dies? i know brand new day is ending soon, but that'd be horrific for even spidey "

  It's a part of life.  People grow and people die.  You can't live in the past so you can only move forward.  I don't mean to compare to different universes, but in the DC U, Timd Drake lost his mom, his girlfriend, his dad, his best friends, and then his father figure.  But what does Tim do, he moves forward.  Yeah he feels guilty but he doesn't just collapse on the ground and gives up.  He grows up and he tries his best to prevent that from happening.  Spider-Man is 30, he's an adult.  He's not that 15 year old kid he was a few decades ago.  
 

@cbishop:

   I think thereal problem is that they refuse to let Spider-Man'scharacter grow after all thi time.
#18 Posted by cbishop (7386 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
"@conformist21 said:

" your only father figure, you first love, and now your aunt dies? i know brand new day is ending soon, but that'd be horrific for even spidey "

  It's a part of life.  People grow and people die.  You can't live in the past so you can only move forward.  I don't mean to compare to different universes, but in the DC U, Timd Drake lost his mom, his girlfriend, his dad, his best friends, and then his father figure.  But what does Tim do, he moves forward.  Yeah he feels guilty but he doesn't just collapse on the ground and gives up.  He grows up and he tries his best to prevent that from happening.  Spider-Man is 30, he's an adult.  He's not that 15 year old kid he was a few decades ago.  
 

@cbishop:

   I think thereal problem is that they refuse to let Spider-Man'scharacter grow after all thi time."

First, thanks for mentioning Tim Drake.  I was going to bring that up, but then decided against it, because they've since brought his girlfriend and his best friend back. lol 
 
Second, yeah, I get that Spider-Man doesn't seem to be growing older and moving on, but killing off Aunt May is the only way to do that?  Again, incredibly cynical route to take.  Death as the only thing that brings change is getting to be about as cliched as coming back from the dead.
#19 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@cbishop:  No, it's not the only way to do it, but if they were going to kill her off in the first place?  Then don't just make me lose respect for the character of Spider Man by letting him make a deal with the devil.  That is just so wrong on so many levels.  When I glanced over the summary I thought it was an okay development but when I actually red the issue I felt like I was just kicked in the stomach.
 
  Lol yeah, they brought back all those people but the feelings Tim had at the time were completely real becase they were techinically gone from his life.  He was able to grow and adapt with the thought that they were dead even though they came back.  It's commendable.  I consider that a testament to the human will, (even though it's a comic character).   When you get knocked down, you never stay down.  You get right back up, and make a stand for yourself and move forward. 
#20 Posted by cbishop (7386 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, going back to Tim for a minute, he's a good example of why it's a bad idea to just kill supporting characters off.  The only reason his dad was killed off was a) his dad being around was making it harder and harder to tell a credible story about a kid who goes out at night as a vigilante, and b) editorial wanted it as a turning point moment.  BTW, I got the "b" straight from the writer's mouth at an appearance he made.  And he was against the idea.  Main reason being: he was losing the supporting characters left and right, making it harder and harder to tell stories.  Yes, he introduced more supporting cast, but change for change's sake is a bad idea. 
 
Pete can have growing moments without Aunt May dying.  In a comic universe where characters are regularly aging and time is passing regularly, then yes, they should have to deal with death too.  That's not the case in most superhero comics.  I think it should be, but it's not.  Killing off Aunt May for the sake of Pete's change is a bad idea.

#21 Posted by cbishop (7386 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
" @cbishop:  No, it's not the only way to do it, but if they were going to kill her off in the first place?  Then don't just make me lose respect for the character of Spider Man by letting him make a deal with the devil.  That is just so wrong on so many levels.  When I glanced over the summary I thought it was an okay development but when I actually red the issue I felt like I was just kicked in the stomach.    Lol yeah, they brought back all those people but the feelings Tim had at the time were completely real becase they were techinically gone from his life.  He was able to grow and adapt with the thought that they were dead even though they came back.  It's commendable.  I consider that a testament to the human will, (even though it's a comic character).   When you get knocked down, you never stay down.  You get right back up, and make a stand for yourself and move forward.  "

Well, the fact that Pete made the deal with Mephisto tells me that they weren't really planning to kill off Aunt May. ;)  They just gave you something that would seem like the end of his world (May dying), and then ended his world in a completely different way (reboot).
 
As for the deal it self, I didn't like that just because I thought they should have stuck with Peter's unmasking.  I think they could have milked that for a long time, and I think House of M showed that it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for Pete.  That deal sucks lemons for a lot of reasons.
#22 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@cbishop:  For Tim, I thought they killed off all his supporting cast because Tim never wanted to be a big hero.  So when Batman found a new Robin he would have just quit and lived a normal life.  But with Tim's popularity nobody would want to see Tim quit so how do you stop that?  You kill off the annoyances.  Also Jack's death was really sad.
 
  Pete can grow without Aunt May dying.  But they did kill her off, it wasn't necessary but they did.  If they already killed her off then just don't regress a character that took way to long to develop.  It's an insult to the comic reader who stood by his side for so long.
#23 Posted by cbishop (7386 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
" @cbishop:  For Tim, I thought they killed off all his supporting cast because Tim never wanted to be a big hero.  So when Batman found a new Robin he would have just quit and lived a normal life.  But with Tim's popularity nobody would want to see Tim quit so how do you stop that?  You kill off the annoyances.  Also Jack's death was really sad.
 
  Pete can grow without Aunt May dying.  But they did kill her off, it wasn't necessary but they did.  If they already killed her off then just don't regress a character that took way to long to develop.  It's an insult to the comic reader who stood by his side for so long."

Actually, it was kind of a cluster bomb for Tim.  They needed a big death in Our Worlds at War, and Superboy was it.  They needed a big death for War Games, and Stephanie was it (although I thought she was a badly written character, so I didn't mind seeing her go).  Then editorial decided they needed a big death in Robin, and Tim's dad was it.  Like I said, Willingham tried to get them to look at the overall continuity, and not kill off yet another important person in Tim's life, but they told him to write it. 
 
As for Tim quitting, that wasn't going to happen.  I won't detail the whole thing here, because I've done that in a blog already, and this is supposed to be about Spidey, but Chuck Dixon was on his way to making Tim the new Blue Beetle, not making him quit. 
 
Back to Spidey, okay so they actually killed May.  The point is, they had their cake and ate it too.  They gave you the shock moment of killing May off, but they already knew that the deal with Mephisto was coming, so they knew her death wouldn't be permanent.  It wasn't meant to be an insult to those who would just as soon see May killed off, it was meant to be a "ha ha, fooled you," to those fans of May who would be upset by her death.  Killing May off was like killing Superman off - it was about a temporary spike in sales, not about keeping her dead.
#24 Edited by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@cbishop:  Oh you wrote that blog?  I read that one before, it was well written.
 
  Yeah I'll consider it a "Ha ha, fooled you," to May fans.  But a lot of Spider-Man fan's did in fact see it as an insult.  Yeah it's almost impossible to please everyone and if that was their goal they would have just not wrote "One More Day" but they did.  I don't like the whole taking back a decision after it's already been made, it shows a lack of commitment to me.  But the biggest problem with the whole bring back Aunt May was how badly it affected the whole spidey universe.  It was only supposed to affect the marriage and the identity being revealed and we end up with Harry back to life and possibly Gwen Stacy too, rumor has it (hope it isn't true).
 
 Also Pete unmasking himself lft me with so much respect for him.
#25 Posted by cbishop (7386 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
"@cbishop:  Oh you wrote that blog?  I read that one before, it was well written.    Yeah I'll consider it a "Ha ha, fooled you," to May fans.  But a lot of Spider-Man fan's did in fact see it as an insult.  Yeah it's almost impossible to please everyone and if that was their goal they would have just not wrote "One More Day" but they did.  I don't like the whole taking back a decision after it's already been made, it shows a lack of commitment to me.  But the biggest problem with the whole bring back Aunt May was how badly it affected the whole spidey universe.  It was only supposed to affect the marriage and the identity being revealed and we end up with Harry back to life and possibly Gwen Stacy too, rumor has it (hope it isn't true).   Also Pete unmasking himself lft me with so much respect for him. "

Thanks for the compliment on the blog. :) 
  
As for taking back the decision to kill May, I don't think that's quite what happened, but I'll come back to that.  Like I said, I didn't like the deal with Mephisto because it undid the unmasking, and I think Marvel could have worked with the unmasking for a long time and done some really interesting stories.  That's me thinking outside of the comic though.  In the comic itself (that is, the story) if I didn't like a story point, I'll say so, but then I go, "Well, we're here now, so now what?"  So I kind of look at everyone being back in the story as a chance to play with all the toys again.  And in a way, instead of looking at it as taking back the decision to kill May, you could look at it as the character (Spidey) made a decision to do something to bring her back.  If that was Spidey's decision, then maybe we should see where the ride takes us next. 
 
Back to the decision to kill May, though.  I'm seeing it as something like Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? - that story they did just before they started the Superman revamp in 1987.  In that two issue story, DC told the story to end all Superman stories, because they knew they were getting ready to restart all the Superman stories.  I'm seeing the events before OMD (or BND - I forget which came first) as something like Whatever.  Marvel knew that the deal with Mephisto was coming, so they turned Spider-Man's life upside down as much as they could before that, because they knew it didn't matter - that the deal with Mephisto was going to wipe it all away when they were done.  I think in a way, they were trying to give fans a sense of closure while they could, because they knew that OMD was going to reboot things for Spidey. 
 
And you never know - it's a "deal with the devil" after all.  Chances are they'll play with all the toys again, and then take it all away from Peter again.  Mephisto's going to want his due eventually.
#26 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@cbishop:  Maybe but that whole deal did take away so many good things and you could say some bad things.  I'm not the biggest expert on Spider-Man, but I do take time to learn.  It just seems really weird for me that Peter, someone who has experienced and seen a lot of things in his life has such a hard time learning to let go.  I guess if Aunt May had died of natural causes then Peter would have handled it better but when you have The One-Above-All disguising himself as a hobo to tell you that death is a natural part of life.  I think it's time to reconsider the whole dead with the devil.  Of course he didn't know it was him as the hobo though.
 
  I really did like Spidey showing his idenity but I didn't like a lot of the surrounding characters reactions.  Jamenson's reaction was understandable but some of the others were just weird.
#27 Posted by ComicStooge (12386 posts) - - Show Bio

Killing Aunt May off would be good for everyone...
Online
#28 Posted by cbishop (7386 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
" @cbishop:  Maybe but that whole deal did take away so many good things and you could say some bad things.  I'm not the biggest expert on Spider-Man, but I do take time to learn.  It just seems really weird for me that Peter, someone who has experienced and seen a lot of things in his life has such a hard time learning to let go.  I guess if Aunt May had died of natural causes then Peter would have handled it better but when you have The One-Above-All disguising himself as a hobo to tell you that death is a natural part of life.  I think it's time to reconsider the whole dead with the devil.  Of course he didn't know it was him as the hobo though.    I really did like Spidey showing his idenity but I didn't like a lot of the surrounding characters reactions.  Jamenson's reaction was understandable but some of the others were just weird."

Meh, I'm no Spidey expert by a longshot, but like I said, I'm more of the mindset of "Well, they did it, so let's see where it goes." 
 
As for Jameson's reaction, I didn't care for all of it.  Firing Parker was expected.  When he had calmed down and made the calmer speech to Parker about what upset him, that was cool.  Suing Parker for fraud though?  That didn't even make sense.  Jameson wanted Spidey photos, and Peter had them.  Just because he happens to be Spider-Man doesn't make it fraud that he took pictures of himself.  If he had manufactured the news, sure, that's fraud.  Taking advantage of news in progress - I don't see that as fraud.  Opportunistic, perhaps, but no more than a lawyer giving his card to an accident victim.  Plus, Jameson often made up his own headlines to go with the pictures, painting Spidey as a menace and twisting the facts to his own ends.  That's fraud against his readership.  So yeah, never made sense to me.
#29 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@cbishop:   Yeah that was ridiculous, but the whole confrontation was what I like the most.
#30 Posted by cbishop (7386 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita: Yeah, other than the lawsuit, Jameson's reaction was cool.  Gotta get to bed now.  Been nice chattin' with ya.
#31 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@cbishop:  Alright, cool speaking with you.
#32 Posted by Jk-Prodigy (121 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicStooge said:
" Killing Aunt May off would be good for everyone... "
#33 Posted by Fortanono (4889 posts) - - Show Bio

KILL HER! KILL HER!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.