Did You Catch the Fate of Atrocitus in RED LANTERNS #21?

• 86 results
Posted by G-Man (18888 posts) - - Show Bio

There will be some spoilers for RED LANTERNS #21, still on sale.

Charles Soule has recently taken over RED LANTERNS and issue #21 was pretty intense. With Guy Gardner meant to go undercover to keep tabs on the Red Lantern Corps for Hal Jordan, the encounter between Guy and Atrocitus may not have gone according to plan.

We saw Atrocitus defeated and Dex-Starr took him away. What many of us may have forgotten is the fact that the Red Power Ring replaces the Red Lanterns' hearts. It was in our interview with Charles Soule at San Diego Comic-Con where this was brought to our attention (at 3:10).

"He has been killed to death." This makes sense. We saw it happen in the beginning of the issue with Phist. I think we just all assumed Soule wouldn't kill off Atrocitus in his first issue. Looks like we were wrong. But it is a "comic book death" so we'll have to see what's next.

If you haven't checked out RED LANTERNS #21, you'll want to track down a copy. Issue #22 is on sale July 31.

Check out our interview with Charles HERE.

#1 Posted by Saren (25078 posts) - - Show Bio

Good riddance.

#2 Posted by Outside_85 (10243 posts) - - Show Bio

Well... now there is no reason to touch this.

#3 Edited by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

So Guy defeated Atrocitus all by himself?

edit: Can someone answer my question? Guy defeated the leader of the Red Lantern corps all willy nilly? By himself?

#4 Posted by Saren (25078 posts) - - Show Bio

From a continuity angle it makes sense, though. When I first read the issue I figured they couldn't possibly be killing Atrocitus right off the bat, and wondered if Soule had just ignored the rule about the Reds dying if they were separated from their rings.

Now I wonder if the Red Lantern Corps are the ones who are going to be wiped out after Lights Out, as Didio promised.

#5 Posted by G-Man (18888 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane: I totally played it straight during the interview as well. I should've just said, "whoa whoa whoa, what?"

#6 Posted by Pixel_Kaiser (95 posts) - - Show Bio

This kind of bums me out, Atrocitus has a cool look to him. Thought he'd make a pretty cool DLC character for Injustice.

Where did Didio say the Red Lanterns were going to be wiped out?

#7 Posted by BrotherEye (165 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, not keen on seeing Atrocitus being beaten up in the very first issue.

#8 Edited by Saren (25078 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man said:

@citizenbane: I totally played it straight during the interview as well. I should've just said, "whoa whoa whoa, what?"

Huh, I actually didn't notice that he said so the first time I watched that interview. I was mostly listening for the Superman/Wonder Woman details. Must have been surprising.

#9 Posted by Joygirl (19951 posts) - - Show Bio

*faceplanet*

#10 Posted by dondave (38892 posts) - - Show Bio

This kind of bums me out, Atrocitus has a cool look to him. Thought he'd make a pretty cool DLC character for Injustice.

Where did Didio say the Red Lanterns were going to be wiped out?

He didn't mention which Corp just that one of them was

#11 Posted by dondave (38892 posts) - - Show Bio

@blkson said:

edit: Can someone answer my question? Guy defeated the leader of the Red Lantern corps all willy nilly? By himself?

Surprisingly, yes

#12 Posted by Saren (25078 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@blkson said:

Surprisingly, yes

Thats bullsh**t

#14 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1453 posts) - - Show Bio

@blkson: nope but it was bloody lol

#15 Edited by Joygirl (19951 posts) - - Show Bio

The streets will run red.

#16 Posted by Overlander (552 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard this when I watched the video, but didn't think anything about it since I don't read Red Lanterns. I can't stand Atrocitus or Guy.

That said, the idea of Guy legitimately off'ing Atrocitus and taking over the Red Lanterns sounds really cool...like Daredevil murdering Bullseye and leading the Hand.

#17 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18706 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

The streets will run red.

you're really mad aren't you? :P

#18 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

And how does Guy display his dominance? By giving Bleez the old 'in out' next issue. Works for me. I thought Bleez was going to be a more popular femme at the start of the new 52.

#19 Posted by LordRequiem (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

As if Guy could beat the leader of any corps, let alone a far physically stronger opponent.

#20 Posted by Joygirl (19951 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by millennium (208 posts) - - Show Bio

good get him out of the picture let atrocitus stay a bad guy and have him plus the cat be villains for guys name red lantern cor so the reds can become anti heroes because atrocitus was dragging this book down character whys

#23 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18706 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

@theacidskull: I am borderline-nuclear.

oh wow, as someone who doesn't read the series , how come? :P

#24 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

As if Guy could beat the leader of any corps, let alone a far physically stronger opponent.

lol same thing I'm thinking.

good get him out of the picture let atrocitus stay a bad guy and have him plus the cat be villains for guys name red lantern cor so the reds can become anti heroes because atrocitus was dragging this book down character whys

The Red Lanterns as anti-heroes could be interesting.

#25 Posted by Larcheese (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Just took a look at the solicits and Atrocitus seems to be alive and well in issue 23.

#26 Posted by Joygirl (19951 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Because the series has been increasingly terrible since #13 (I stopped reading at #18), Bleez (my favorite lantern/second favorite character ever) has been demoted to a f***pet for Rankorr, and Atrocitus, who can kill Guy by looking at him funny, gets permanently killed by the WORST LANTERN EVER, the guy who got knocked out by Batman and got clocked by Arisia Rrab. Atros is BILLIONS of years old, can kill guardians, beat down Martian Manhunter and went toe-to-toe with Larfleeze, the man who created a power battery for fun, the man who killed Abin Sur, gets killed within one page by the USELESS F*** who got DECKED by the girl Hal Jordan molested.

#27 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18706 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

@theacidskull: Because the series has been increasingly terrible since #13 (I stopped reading at #18), Bleez (my favorite lantern/second favorite character ever) has been demoted to a f***pet for Rankorr, and Atrocitus, who can kill Guy by looking at him funny, gets permanently killed by the WORST LANTERN EVER, the guy who got knocked out by Batman and got clocked by Arisia Rrab. Atros is BILLIONS of years old, can kill guardians, beat down Martian Manhunter and went toe-to-toe with Larfleeze, the man who created a power battery for fun, the man who killed Abin Sur, gets killed within one page by the USELESS F*** who got DECKED by the girl Hal Jordan molested.

i....well sh*t.

#28 Posted by Outside_85 (10243 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats kinda what they already were.

#29 Posted by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes he should have been killed from the removal of his ring but the the cat taking him away he will return. It will probably be explained that Dex Star using the powers of his ring to keep Atrocitus alive. This actually sucks bc if they would have shown Atrocitus die and be buried or thrown in the the river of blood or something then it would have been more official but with the way it was done it seems obvious that there is an impending confrontation with Atrocitus coming back and defeating Guy Gardner. I would rather Guy stay in that position for the foreseeable future (5-10 years at least)

#30 Posted by dondave (38892 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

QFT

#31 Posted by Black_Claw (3089 posts) - - Show Bio

So let me get this straight, the dude that Batman took out with one punch took out the leader of the freaking Red Lanterns? By Himself?!

BULL****!!!!!

#32 Posted by Onemoreposter (4099 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@blkson said:

Surprisingly, yes

Why would that be surprising? Guy has been ring slinging far longer than Atrocitus. Plus, he's a total badass.

#33 Edited by dondave (38892 posts) - - Show Bio

@onemoreposter said:

@dondave said:

@blkson said:

Surprisingly, yes

Why would that be surprising? Guy has been ring slinging far longer than Atrocitus. Plus, he's a total badass.

He hasn't done anything in the past to show he could beat Atrocitus when many before him had failed, let alone as his ring was losing power

#35 Posted by jinxuandi (595 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by jinxuandi (595 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Edited by saoakden (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn.

#38 Posted by Immortal777 (7735 posts) - - Show Bio

Dafuq is this sh!t.

Guy beating the leader of a corps is insane, I hope this is just Atrocitus just faking his own death for luls.

#39 Edited by TheFirstLantern (1510 posts) - - Show Bio

Only reason I read this is for Charles Soule, but with the whole one lantern being destroyed is interesting. Maybe the red's

#40 Posted by lifeofvibe (3514 posts) - - Show Bio

now i afficaily hate guy gardner

i mean kill atrocitys in his own title damn you dc damn you

#41 Posted by ImNemotheGemini (845 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave:

What does "QFT" mean ? I've seen you use it plenty times.. Does it mean "Quit Fu**in talking" ?

#42 Posted by _Genesis_ (316 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope he not dead

#43 Edited by dondave (38892 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave:

What does "QFT" mean ? I've seen you use it plenty times.. Does it mean "Quit Fu**in talking" ?

Quoted For Truth

#44 Posted by dondave (38892 posts) - - Show Bio

Only reason I read this is for Charles Soule, but with the whole one lantern being destroyed is interesting. Maybe the red's

It might not be the Red Lanterns seeing as Soule said he has plans for them after Lights Out

#45 Edited by CrimsonAlchemist (409 posts) - - Show Bio

Great way to start out a new arc kill the badass protaginast in a lame way using the lamest Lantern to do it BANG!!

#46 Posted by CrimsonAlchemist (409 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by Joygirl (19951 posts) - - Show Bio

@onemoreposter: Atros is billions of years old... comparing anyone's experience to his is ABSURD. In fact, in any way attempting to justify Guy's victory, besides writer fapping, is absurd. The fap is much, much too large.

#48 Posted by Joygirl (19951 posts) - - Show Bio

O.o *gap

#49 Edited by Jake Fury (19203 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic book death. Nuff said.

#50 Posted by lightsout (1836 posts) - - Show Bio

I was glad in happened in the context that it showed Atrocitus isn't as powerful as some had thought ("taking on MM", etc). He's among the top ring-wearers, but so are all them that are also main characters (if only solely for that fact).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.