Follow

Atrocitus

Character » Atrocitus appears in 315 issues.

One of the five survivors of the massacre in Sector 666 and founder of the Red Lantern Corps, Atrocitus anointed the Red Lantern in blood and harnessed the power of rage and red light.

Because I am a Girl – Ysmault Local Office

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz
    No Caption Provided

I am a big fan of the “Because I am a Girl” campaign.  This is run by the aid organization Plan and looks to cure the world of some of its ails by addressing gender inequality.   Before all of everyone else jumps on it for being about misandry, it really isn’t just because of the name.  Gender inequality affects both genders equally.  For instance, if a girl is forced by her culture to drop out of school and get married at a young age it costs the community by having an uneducated person in it, just as it costs the potential husband lost revenue from her not being able to find employment.  Even if she lives in a more archaic society where she is expected to only tend to the home and children, a lack of education makes her less able to accomplish those roles.  This is only one example and there are many others including such issues as prostitution and human smuggling.  So basically the plan helps everyone.  I routinely discuss this with my friends including here online as a really good initiative which can do a lot of good throughout the world. 

With that in mind though I was reading Red Lanterns #4 today and the strangest thing happened (spoilers ahead).  The lead character of the series, Atrocitus, is frustrated at Bleez because he freed her of her rage yet now is not sure that she is with him or against.  As Atrocitus does when he gets confused he tends to take out his rage in very violent ways.  In this case though he became an intergalactic anti-hero for the Because I am a Girl movement.  First he travels to a planet where a sect cuts out the eyes of teenaged girls and then forces them to work in a temple for a year.  Suffice to say things don’t end so well for the sect leaders or the temple (incidentally intentional blinding is unfortunately in the news in Canada as of late.)  Then he travels to Earth where he kills someone that has been beating his wife (which is so common it doesn’t generally make the news).  Of course in both of these cases this is not what is advocated by anyone actually interested in gender equality.  The point is not to kill a bunch of men but rather to educate everyone.  Nonetheless from a “righting of wrongs” standpoint Atrocitus has addressed some of the more compelling issues that we face in societies around the world.  While it is not necessarily the treatment I would have gone for it is nice to see these issues addressed in other media where the message can get across.  Meanwhile Atrocitus becomes one of the least likely champions of gender equality.  

No Caption Provided
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SC  Moderator

Cool and clever parallel. I am looking forward to catching up on this title, I am three issues behind, seems good though? 

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @SC: Three issues is a lot out of four issues
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Daveyo520

@SC: Even I have read more then you Seanbaby.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Saren

Marking perhaps the first instance in all of history where domestic abuse was reconciled by acidic puke.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @RazzaTazz said:
    @SC: Three issues is a lot out of four issues

Red Lantern themes and plot points were some of my favorite in the former Green Lantern series,  Peter Milligan is one of my favorite indy writers. Bleez a favorite character.  Looks like I have lots to look forward to with these three issues.  

@Daveyo520 said:

@SC: Even I have read more then you Seanbaby.

Thanks... pumpkin... claw...? I'll probably catch up on this book before the next issue is released. I have already brought the issues. Actually I sort of like reading two or three issues in one sitting.  

Great blogs like this one just make it a bit harder to resist reading. 
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Daveyo520
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Not bad for one who started merely as a grief-stricken Ysmaultian who turned first to terrorism and then to rage to right the wrongs of the Massacre of Sector 666, huh?

Mayo88m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mayo88m

Go go Atrocitus! Fighting cruelty to females one acidic blood vomit at a time!

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @RedheadedAtrocitus: Figures you would like this topic 

@Mayo88m: He smashed the temple with his hands though
    Mayo88m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mayo88m

@RazzaTazz: Stop raining on my parade! QQ

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @lykopis: Thats what I thought, even though the end result of killing a  bunch of men is undesirable, I did like how his rage directed him to avenge women.  
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By fodigg

Definitely a "two wrongs" solution but I applaud them for taking on the issue of ritualistic mutilation of women. If they really wanted to deal with current events you could have him address forcing victims of sexual assault to marry their attacker. Especially considering that I find the writing in Red Lanterns to be pretty ho-hum and the art to be pretty generically T&A focused.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By turoksonofstone

@lykopis said:

"Because I am a Girl" is a fantastic initiative, Razz - nice parallel between that organization and this comic. I have no previous knowledge of this Atrocitus and Bleez, but will look into it now. Bravo to the writers of this book for shining some attention on violence against women - any spotlight can only do good in my opinion.

this

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @lykopis said:

Just wanted to bump this thread as it's perfectly in line with today being the International Day of the Girl. Plus, this is a really cool breakdown of Red Lanterns #4 and the topics the issue brought up.

:)

It is a really good international initiative, essentially anyone who doesn't support this is is so closed in their misogyny that they cannot even see how this benefits everyone, or they are simply misanthropes that hate everyone except themselves.  
    Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#17  Edited By Joygirl

That's why Atrocitus is the bomb. Because of his black-and-white, rage-driven morality, he manages to wreck the bad guys everyone else overlooks. :D

Avatar image for romulusaugustus
    RomulusAugustus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not bad for one who started merely as a grief-stricken Ysmaultian who turned first to terrorism and then to rage to right the wrongs of the Massacre of Sector 666, huh?

Actually he's from Ryut.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.