Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    The X-Men's battle of words with Doctor Crocodile has to put aside as the two parties unite against a greater threat - - the inexplicable return of Captain Britain's old foe, Mad Jim Jaspers.

The Good

This is one of those rare superhero comics where you're left riveted without any fight scenes or even a single thrown punch - - the dialog is just that good. I'm normally leery of superheroes getting embroiled in current affairs as it frequently comes across as tacky or tasteless, but Ellis gives this enough sense of realpolitik to feel credible without it seeming ridiculous that these larger-than-life characters are standing in the middle of real world problems. Particularly, the way Dr. Crocodile started convincing the X-Men that their objections to his solution were a bit short-sighted... it added just enough complication and logic to make this feel more realistic without bashing you on the head with "importance." And Emma's counter to the despot's troops was a sick, but hilarious, hoot!

The Bad

Wolverine is a little too articulate at times. Ellis is emphasizing how his long life would make him a lot more worldly and politically savy than he's traditionally been depicted, but... even then, there are  turns of phrase that don't really fit a brawler. It draws attention to the fact that some characters' voices might be a bit too similar to one another.

The Verdict - 4/5

I'd honestly just give this high marks for its continuation of the "Mad Jim Jasper's Warp" storyline from the classic Moore/ Davis run on Captain Britain.  I didn't get to check out the second issue of this mini (from the first issue, I really though it was going to be a superfluous one-off) but my interest is a lot stronger now that an unstoppable, indefatigable unit of Furies (note the plural) have shown up. This just got a lot more interesting.
    jamdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By jamdown

FIRST

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By doordoor123

SECOND

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By SuperXAsh

hope it'll be better than Die By the Sword. >.>

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Pizawle

I remember Avatar Press or Bleeding Cool doing a breakdown of the numerous fetishes this cover invokes. 

Delighted to finally own it.

alicemalice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By alicemalice

I really wanted to like this series..but I just can't. makes me sad.

BKole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By BKole

Another excellent piece of Ellis writings. I am constantly a fan of his work.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Jotham

Fantastic cover.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.