Follow

Aspen MLT

Publisher »

Aspen MLT was founded in California by Michael Turner in 2003.

Following companies more than creators

ChrisPartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

Edited By ChrisPartin

I have always felt I read comics a little different than everyone else.  When I started reading comics I picked up what looked interesting from an art point of view and then ran with that series for a while.  Eventually I would pick up any spin off titles or miniseries and continue to read them for year, but in 1992 that changed for me. 

If you're up on your comic book history 1992 has some significant meaning to you, or at least should ring a bell.  In 1992 Image Comics launched and it changed the way I read comic books.  Keep in mind, things changed gradually, but my reading habits changed.  I stopped reading random books and started reading ALL of the books a particular company was publishing.  In 1992 it was easy to read all of Image's titles because there just a few.  As the years went on it became harder for me to read all of the Image books, but I continued to do so and by doing this it caused me to stop reading other titles from other publishers. 

I agree - it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's just how I read comics.  Once Wildstorm split off from Image Comics and became an imprint of DC I continued to read all of the Wildstorm books.  Needless to say, I had a lot more disposable income then.  I hate saying it, but when Extreme/Maximum Press left Image I was happy because it allowed me to drop all of those books.  I stayed with a few of them for a while, but it was easy to drop them because they weren't part of Image anymore.  Weird? Yes, but I'm not normal - I understand that! 

Over the years I've changed my reading habits some.  I don't read everything Image publishes, but I read a majority of them.  I've been reading all of the Aspen titles as well as a majority of the Archaia books, and dipping my toes in the Boom! titles.  While I don't dive head first in to a company like I did in the past, I still tend to stick with a company over creators for some reason.  I'm just lucky that most of the creators I like are creating titles at the companies I'm following.   

So, here's the question... Am I alone in reading comics this way? Or are there others who have strange reading habits like mine? 

Thanks!

J1ml33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By J1ml33

I used to do what your doing but now I am reading a little bit of everything old and new ,well known and note worthy and underrated .
    but once upon a time I used to read nothing but marvel comics back in the early 90s , but when image came out I too just dived head long into pool that is 
    style over substance now mind you at the time I bought a number one of all the first image titles (spawn, wildcats , savage dragon, stormwatch ,cyber force, witchblade and wetworks .) 
    I was obsessed for awhile until after the first few years worth of inventive and wildly imaginative stories and characters .
    anyways all I am trying to say I do feel that the loss of wildstorm hit me hard as everybody else ( I felt a certain connection with the imprint maybe because I was growing up reading the comics of the imprint at the time and now since I am in my mid 20s I have a lot of respect for their work and vision . and for Jim Lee first of all because his work was the one I first seen at an very early age and I have come to expect to see that wild style of storytelling and ideals for a long time (heck I even wanted to have my own creator own work published under the wildstorm banner but now my ambition has been crushed into dust ) but I will now do my best to keep their spirit alive in my own work  just as reminder that that little ideal from 92 will never die .
    so your not alone .:D   

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.