Follow

Aspen MLT

Publisher »

Aspen MLT was founded in California by Michael Turner in 2003.

First Look: Aspen's Lady Mechanika

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_
    No Caption Provided
    At C2E2, we caught up with Joe Benitez to discuss his upcoming creator owned project for Aspen Comics which will hit store shelves this fall, Lady Mechanika. Now, Aspen has kindly given us a first look at some incredible concept art for the series! We also had the chance to once again catch up with Joe to talk about his new project which is drawing nearer to its release. Check out the interview and the concept art below, and let us know what you think! Do you plan on picking up Lady Mechanika?

Comic Vine: You have been working as an artist for Aspen for years, and now you are finally releasing your very own creator title. Has this been a long time coming, something you always wanted to do, or was there any hesitation on your part?
    Joe Benitez: Been working with Aspen going on two years  now, started late 2008 early 2009 . This is actually my second venture into creator-owned territory . I did a title called Wraithborn in 2005 through Wildstorm . I have the rights back for Wraithborn  and I intend on telling  more of the story in the future.  Lady Mechanika  will be my first attempt as a writer.  As far as any hesitation that might be the only one.  I feel I can tell a story and feel I can have interesting back and forth with characters  but again I’ve always had people that were buffers when it came to that. They would tell me if something sucked or didn’t work. With Lady I have the last say on what goes so I better make it good . Aside from the writing  I’ve never had any hesitation as far as doing a creator owned book,  matter of fact  I prefer  it. I love working on titles of my own creation. Been doing it since  I started my career, I co-created Weapon Zero and Magdalena For Top Cow.  I really love the  process of creating new characters and new worlds. I love getting  bits and pieces of other things and piecing them together in a new way . I would love to spend the rest of my career  doing my own comics.
      == TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided
    CV: Where did you get the inspiration for Lady Mechanika? How did you come up with the concept?
    JB: The Steampunk genre intrigued  me  for sometime now. Going to cons and watching all these very cool cosplayers decked out in costumes of their own making  was fascinating. The more I delved into the culture and did research the more into it I got. Being an  artist and creator there is an ocean of possibilities you can do with it. The more I thought about it the more stories would formulate in my head. All I needed was a strong character to be the focal point in my stories in  came Lady M.  I always had a female in mind as the main protagonist .

CV: What is the title about?
    JB: Its about a private investigator in turn of the century Victorian England . She gets hired to investigate cases on the fringe of normal society. Cases others don’t want or don’t understand.  Paranormal, supernatural, anomalies. We also find out that she has no memory of her past and that’s part of the reason she is in the kind of work she
    No Caption Provided
    does. She's in  constant search of her origins.

CV: What was the experience of going from being an artist to working as both artist and writer on the title?
    JB: Stressful, but enjoyable. It’s a different process . I’m used to sitting and talking to someone brainstorming then walking away and having that person type up and make sense out of all we talked about  . Now I have to go and do that myself.  Its very satisfying when the pieces start to take shape. My only hope is that I can deliver a compelling story with characters you can sympathize with and care for.

CV: How long is the series? Are you looking to make this into an ongoing?
    JB: We are aiming for a 6 issue run but if we find an audience expect it to be an on going. 
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Magian

I like what I see.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Woohoo! new aspen comics goodness and steampunk to booth. Steampunk is awesome!

Shameless promo by using a poster that proves Steampunk is awesome... 

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for freedom_fighters
    Freedom Fighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Freedom Fighters

VERY INTERESTING. WANT TO SEE THE WHOLE CAST NOW!

luckynitro007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By luckynitro007

i like it. looks great.
    Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Namor1987

So Steampunk is kinda like Full Metal Alchemist type stuff & muskets & flintlock weaponry?

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @Namor1987:  full metal alchemist has some Steampunk inspirations along with some alchemical concepts turned anime insanity. But have you ever seen the movie Steamboy by the guy who did Princess Monoké? That's steampunk.

Another, another (unfortunately terrible example as the movie sucked) is Wild Wild West with Will Smith. Another (this time good) would be the web comic Girl genius.
    Booziehand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Booziehand

Looks pretty good. Wanna see more...

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Decept-O

Now THAT'S some incredible f'in' artwork!  Hope it does well!
    Avatar image for freedom_fighters
    Freedom Fighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Freedom Fighters

STEAMPUNK!!!

Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By Mediant

My only disappointment is how long it'll be before the series is actually finished. In the scheme of things, that's a good disappointment to have.

Phobiusapollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Phobiusapollo

No Caption Provided
    Steampunk Rocks!  Its all about modern technology with a Victorian twist.  And its all brass and pretty!  Love it!
    Aspenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Aspenite

Not for me.

Planewalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Planewalker

Hey finally some steampunk love the world and the genre! Just the other day I was having ideas for a comic or a tv show based on a steampunk scene! Mixing the 19th century with tech and fantasy it's really fun, too bad not many creators take the leap of faith in trying to produce just series! 

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

STEAM PUNK!!!!! *DIES* 

love it!!!

r3bB@

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By r3bB@

I'm more excited about Benitez than about steampunk. He could have done a story in any setting, the art would still be awesome.

hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hdorman1

slick 
    i love steampunk

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.