When do looks matter less and acting ability matter more?

Posted by angryamazon (94 posts) - - Show Bio

I was trying to build my "Fav Couples" gallery and it was difficult to find a picture of Aspen Matthews and Chance together. But what I did find were TONS of pictures of Megan Fox being compared to Aspen Matthews. I stumble on an old blog that said Fox had been confirmed to play Aspen in the up-coming silver screen adaption for Fathom. I went to her imdb page and so nothing there. Sadly I wouldn't be surprised to find this movie dead in the water. While comic book character movies are all the rage, I have yet to see a female lead. But back to the topic at hand. Megan Fox is beautiful, this is undeniable...along with her acting talent. Does she have what it takes to carry a lead? NO! Can I blame Hollywood for wanting to cast a beautiful woman to play a beautiful woman....no way. BUT I feel the argument is the same as Wonder Woman...there are beautiful unknowns who can act. IMAGINE THAT. Would it hurt to give them a shot? A screen test at least! Look at how well Superman Returns did with Brandon Routh.   

 

#1 Posted by Cruz (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Me likey pic

#2 Edited by ValendianKnight (297 posts) - - Show Bio

When? ALWAYS, in my opinion. You hit the nail in the head. I'm getting sick and tired of seeing Megan Fox compared to every female character out there, when she couldn't DREAM of making a convincing case for ANY of them. Wonder Woman? Hahahaha! I think in general, looks should come second to acting ability, cause more often than not, make up and costume artists can take care of the looks part  pretty well. Hollywood will do what sells, and putting an unknown that looks good AND can act does not spell $$$ as much as putting a known face to completely ruin a character with some "edgy" crap and gratuitous butt shots do. Go figure.

#3 Posted by angryamazon (94 posts) - - Show Bio
@ValendianKnight said:
" When? ALWAYS, in my opinion. You hit the nail in the head. I'm getting sick and tired of seeing Megan Fox compared to every female character out there, when she couldn't DREAM of making a convincing case for ANY of them. Wonder Woman? Hahahaha! I think in general, looks should come second to acting ability, cause more often than not, make up and costume artists can take care of the looks part  pretty well. Hollywood will do what sells, and putting an unknown that looks good AND can act does not spell $$$ as much as putting a known face to completely ruin a character with some "edgy" crap and gratuitous butt shots do. Go figure. "
and they wonder why comic movies based on lead female characters do not have the staying power as the male movies! Hugh Jackman, Ryan Renolds, Christan Bale, Ed Norton....heck even Robert Downey Jr. (though not my personal fav.) are all good looking actors...who can ACT. 
#4 Edited by ReloadChapstick (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm right there with you on that, it doesn't even end at Megan Fox and Aspen Matthews comparison as I'm sure you know. If you Google images Wonder Woman, She Hulk, etc. Almost every single female comic book character apparently should be played by Megan Fox which never ceases to crack me up.
 
I personally just don't think that the people making these comparisons of Megan Fox, bikini models, etc to all these female comic book characters are at all concerned with doing these characters justice the same way they are about their male counterparts. Megan Fox needs to learn how to act before she can even dream about playing any of these characters, I don't care how hot she is. She's not unique in this department, there's plenty of beautiful women out there who can actually act, bring these characters to life and do them justice you just might have to look a bit harder.  

I don't think a lot of people in movies can handle making a strong female character without going through the ever-so-typical femme fatale route which is sad. I've had this discussion with my friend before and one of the things I mentioned was that I don't think some of these female characters are particularly hard to do in movies but more so they're pretty easy to mess up. Take Wonder Woman for example, she pulls no punches and is all about serious business but she also wears hot pants, it's too easy to competely sexualize her and make her all sexyface through out the movie, which if you know Wonder Woman you know she doesn't fucking sexyface...at all. 
 
It's unfortunate 'cause like you said  there are good examples of male comic book characters that have been done well so it's not that they can't do it. So yeah being able to act should always be the first and foremost important thing to look at when casting people for these roles, it's not like we're lacking good looking people in the world.

#5 Posted by AMS (1387 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks fade, talent doesn't
#6 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@angryamazon:  Megan was hand picked by Micheal Turner to play Aspen Matthews, they had a friendship.  This is why she has an entry in the tribute aspen released after his death.  No one bothered to create a megan fox page, but she does have an entry.  I forget if it is even good, but its there.
 
Yes I am a guy and yes I think Megan Fox is attractive, but she was hand picked by Turner.  If she is good enough for him, she is more then good enough for me.
 
@angryamazon said:
and they wonder why comic movies based on lead female characters do not have the staying power as the male movies! Hugh Jackman, Ryan Renolds, Christan Bale, Ed Norton....heck even Robert Downey Jr. (though not my personal fav.) are all good looking actors...who can ACT.  "

Not to nit pick, Both Renolds and Bale cannot act.  Renolds plays the same role or silly cool guy over and over.  Bale has one voice "I'm Batman", he is horrible. Those two get roles because they bring in women.  It works both ways.
#7 Posted by Vitality (1768 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks matter less than acting skill when you have an original script with original characters. 
 
When you cast a movie that has already established characters....you need to find good common ground.

#8 Posted by Multiverse (278 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the things I like best about Batman Begins and The Dark Knight is that the actors in those movies look like the characters they are playing. When I think about a comic book movie the first thing that comes to my mind is who looks like a particular character. That said, I think you can have both the right look and acting ability.

#9 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts: Have you seen Equilibrium? Bale doesn't act totally unlike Batman in that, it's just awesome.
#10 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" @Silkcuts: Have you seen Equilibrium? Bale doesn't act totally unlike Batman in that, it's just awesome. "
I haven't seen it, but I will check it out.  From what I have seen, he can't hide his accent to save his life and he is just too stiff.  He wrecked Terminator for everyone, well him and Common... but I expect Common to suck as an actor.  Bale is paid way too much compared to the talent he doesn't have.
#11 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts: Definitely check it out. And I'd say T3 already pretty much ruined Terminator.
#12 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" @Silkcuts: Definitely check it out. And I'd say T3 already pretty much ruined Terminator. "
Will do :D
and I will get back to you about Bale.
T3 was bad, but 4 was changed too much because Bale wanted more screen time.... so its the bitter fanboy in me that hates him more for that.  It was suppose to be Kyle's movie not another John Connor movie.
 
So your take on Aspen = Fox?  If she is good enough for Turner, is she good enough for you?
#13 Posted by angryamazon (94 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" @Silkcuts: Have you seen Equilibrium? Bale doesn't act totally unlike Batman in that, it's just awesome. "
Oh I wasn't sold on Lori from Little Women playing Batman until I saw that movie. I just liked the whole movie in general.
#14 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't seen enough of Megan Fox to tell if she is a good actress or not. I am not really a fan of hers. 
 
But to answer the questions, Looks come last. Talent first. 

#15 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts: If Turner wanted her, that's fine. I can't stand her, though. Although I probably wouldn't have gone to see an Aspen movie anyway.
#16 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" @Silkcuts: If Turner wanted her, that's fine. I can't stand her, though. Although I probably wouldn't have gone to see an Aspen movie anyway. "
that is an honest answer :D
I wonder why its still in Limbo.  Its been talked about for years.  May Be fox is learning to act ...lol
#17 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@angryamazon said:
" @Jotham said:
" @Silkcuts: Have you seen Equilibrium? Bale doesn't act totally unlike Batman in that, it's just awesome. "
Oh I wasn't sold on Lori from Little Women playing Batman until I saw that movie. I just liked the whole movie in general. "
The only problem I have with it is some of the CG cityscapes look a little fake. The gun kata more than makes up for that, though.
#18 Posted by angryamazon (94 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts said:
" @angryamazon:  Megan was hand picked by Micheal Turner to play Aspen Matthews, they had a friendship.  This is why she has an entry in the tribute aspen released after his death.  No one bothered to create a megan fox page, but she does have an entry.  I forget if it is even good, but its there.
 
Yes I am a guy and yes I think Megan Fox is attractive, but she was hand picked by Turner.  If she is good enough for him, she is more then good enough for me.
 
@angryamazon said:
and they wonder why comic movies based on lead female characters do not have the staying power as the male movies! Hugh Jackman, Ryan Renolds, Christan Bale, Ed Norton....heck even Robert Downey Jr. (though not my personal fav.) are all good looking actors...who can ACT.  "
Not to nit pick, Both Renolds and Bale cannot act.  Renolds plays the same role or silly cool guy over and over.  Bale has one voice "I'm Batman", he is horrible. Those two get roles because they bring in women.  It works both ways. "
Its hard to argue with an idea if its something the creator, himself, supports. But it doesn't mean it digests well =) I just feel like leading female comic characters aren't going to get the fan base following based on just a pretty face (and body). Fox told Mtv she would step away from the project if she needs to just so it can be made. I'm not gonna lie...my fingers are crossed.
 
 
I disagree about Bale...he has played a wide range of roles from Newsies, Little Woman and the new Batmans. He isn't my favorite Batman and his Batman voice isn't the best. But "horrible" is a bit harsh in my opinion. I really loved him in the Machinist as well. 
 
So do you think that Renolds is a "pretty face" that is going to blow Green Lantern & Deadpool?
#19 Posted by angryamazon (94 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" @Silkcuts: If Turner wanted her, that's fine. I can't stand her, though. Although I probably wouldn't have gone to see an Aspen movie anyway. "
awe =( burn. ^.~ I love fathom.
#20 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@angryamazon said:

" @Silkcuts said:

" @angryamazon:  Megan was hand picked by Micheal Turner to play Aspen Matthews, they had a friendship.  This is why she has an entry in the tribute aspen released after his death.  No one bothered to create a megan fox page, but she does have an entry.  I forget if it is even good, but its there.
 
Yes I am a guy and yes I think Megan Fox is attractive, but she was hand picked by Turner.  If she is good enough for him, she is more then good enough for me.
 
@angryamazon said:
and they wonder why comic movies based on lead female characters do not have the staying power as the male movies! Hugh Jackman, Ryan Renolds, Christan Bale, Ed Norton....heck even Robert Downey Jr. (though not my personal fav.) are all good looking actors...who can ACT.  "
Not to nit pick, Both Renolds and Bale cannot act.  Renolds plays the same role or silly cool guy over and over.  Bale has one voice "I'm Batman", he is horrible. Those two get roles because they bring in women.  It works both ways. "
Its hard to argue with an idea if its something the creator, himself, supports. But it doesn't mean it digests well =) I just feel like leading female comic characters aren't going to get the fan base following based on just a pretty face (and body). Fox told Mtv she would step away from the project if she needs to just so it can be made. I'm not gonna lie...my fingers are crossed.  I disagree about Bale...he has played a wide range of roles from Newsies, Little Woman and the new Batmans. He isn't my favorite Batman and his Batman voice isn't the best. But "horrible" is a bit harsh in my opinion. I really loved him in the Machinist as well.  So do you think that Renolds is a "pretty face" that is going to blow Green Lantern & Deadpool? "
I can understand your concern, if Fox was a great actor then it wouldn't be an issue. She is "Meh" with a pretty face and sexy body.  With a movie like fathom, the comic fan base is small. I've only read a little myself, only the tribute thing is the most recent thing I remember reading, I purchased most of that stuff because I love Turner's art.  That is ironically the same reason why he's company did well, he drew beautiful things.  It is the shallow nature of people that will attract us to beautiful things.  It is the same reason most "Superhero" fans won't read indie books because the art is "ugly".  When Blind faith is not used, we trust instincts.  It is sad that humans are still so primal when we think we are still so civilized.  Sex Sells, it is a formula that has worked as long as Apes stood up. So to maximize the audience they need to have a high profile babe.
 
Your right, she did say she would step away.  That is part of the friendship I was talking about.  Turner and her were friends.  I am not sure how good friends, but friends.  I never really asked any of the Aspen MLT team at a con about that stuff.
 
I know I am not alone with Bale, but I respect your opinion. I also haven't seen equilibrium, so may be that will change my tone.
 
I hate Renolds. I am Canadian and I am ashamed he he made it as far as he did on his face, because it sure was not his talent.  Most Canadians in movies succeed because of Comedy, he did as well, but since he is "pretty" girls drool and its okay that he screws up the movie.  He sucked in Blade, he helped as one of the horrible reasons of Wolverine.  He doesn't look like Hal, but he does remind me of the classic Goof Hal before the Geoff Johns reboot and all that Emerald Twilight stuff, not the modern Hal.  Deadpool he can ruin, I wouldn't care.  Deadpool is one of my lease liked characters, I would say I hate Deadpool.  Its the Deathstroke fan in me.... I can't like Deadpool.
 
In the end.  I understand your concern, but with a fairly unknown character like Aspen... to succeed she needs to be a name people know. DC Comics ruined my favorite character of John Constantine with Keanu Reeves. At least Fox looks like Aspen.  Keanu takes so many roles that he better be good in a few... that is the old saying... throw enough $hi+ at a fan, something will stick.  Keanu is another pretty face who can't act.... again another Canadian that got by on looks other then talent. 
 
Back to Constantine, there was no need to even change him from British to American.  This was done to promote sales by making it more accessible.  That was a WB company making money and they have money already.  Hellblazer is like Fathom, the fan base is small... if the movie cater to the fans, odds are it will lose too much money.  This could be why Fathom is in limbo.  The fans don't want Fox, but Fox would at least break even.  Its the nature of the beasts, this is why I am not a big fan of comic adaptations to movies.
 
It is nice hearing a fan's take, and a female one at that.  Some guy fathom fans I am sure would be more shallow.
#21 Posted by THALASTDRAGON (387 posts) - - Show Bio

glad im not tha only one who gets tired of seeing rumors that megan fox will be playin damn near every female character that might have a movie. talent should always count for more, i don't even care about her looks, that doesn't add anything to tha film, she's a horrible actress.  while i don't and have never read any wonder woman, i do respect tha character and i would see a movie about her whenever they make one, and i would never want that person to ruin her character by doing whatever she does on screen that she calls acting.  and i like bale, i really liked american psycho, he's alright as batman, and i cant remember whatever else i've seen him in.
#22 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio

poor Brandon Routh.
I liked him in both Superman and Scott Pilgrim.  Too bat Superman had a bad script. 
Talent should be factored, but in the end money is what matters :(
Routh is handsome and can act, yet the Superman series still failed.  That is SUPERMAN, a well-known character.
I worry about a Fathom movie, since Aspen is not as well known, can a non-named actress bring in fans. Fox didn't work for Jonah Hex, so even if she was the "hand picked" aspen, there is no certainty in money return.
 
Is the movie still in limbo, btw?  I know you found an old blog, that started this one, but may be you found something new.

#23 Posted by Jason4235 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the movies "Jonah Hex" and "Barbwire" are perfect examples of movies that probably reiled way too much on looks and really did not care about the script or the acting talent.   
#24 Posted by hydrabob--defunct (14860 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cruz said:
" Me likey pic "
you make a compelling argument and I agree with it 100% sir 
I want you to run for president what do you say?
#25 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

When acting matters more..lol 
some characters in movies are canon-folder but others really require some serious acting. Then looks matter less or should. Of course hollywood producers dont always agree. look at Transformers 3, there using some model who has never acted in a single movie to play along side Sam Witwicky in place of Megan fox...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.