Follow

Aspen Matthews

Character » Aspen Matthews appears in 169 issues.

Aspen Matthews is a child of two worlds. From a young ages she was raised on the surface but biologically she is the daughter of two underwater races called the Blue and the Black. As the only one of her kind, she is an extremely powerful being.

EXCLUSIVE: 'Fathom' #2 6-Page Preview

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

The folks at Aspen Comics have kindly provided Comic Vine with an exclusive 6-page preview of 'Fathom' #2, due to hit stores next Wednesday. With her privacy violated, Aspen Matthews returns to San Diego and runs into some problems with the Secret Service. Aspen promises that this issue is the perfect jumping on point for new fans. Check out the full solicit and exclusive preview images below.

No Caption Provided

FATHOM (Vol. 4) #2

Written by: Scott Lobdell

Art by: Alex Konat and Beth Sotelo

On Sale: September 21st, 2011!

Aspen Matthews finds herself back in her peaceful hometown of San Diego, but soon she will discover all is not fun under the sun. With her life’s privacy now a thing of the past, even a trip home will prove deadly for the daughter of both worlds. When a run in with the Secret Service turns ugly, her already infamous reputation above the surface reaches a breaking point amongst the Humans. However, the scorn of the people is far less threatening to Aspen’s present than the surprise return of someone from her past!

For the legions of FATHOM fans who have been waiting to see Aspen in her element, taking control of her life, now is the time to jump on in—the water’s just fine!

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Burnstar1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Burnstar1230

Never read anything from Aspen Comics, but it looks interesting. The artwork looks absolutely amazing though.

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By difficlus

@Burnstar1230 said:

Never read anything from Aspen Comics, but it looks interesting. The artwork looks absolutely amazing though.

trust me pick up the first volume, Krillian's tide, vol 2 and Cannon's mini-series. The story and art is surreal. This artwork is lame and sub-par compared to what they put out in the micheal turner days.

check it out!

No Caption Provided

so slick!

ThePRez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ThePRez

seems interesting

oldgum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By oldgum

I 'm always a fan of Micheal Turner and Aspen MTL.

Avatar image for blueninjapanther
    blueninjapanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By blueninjapanther

@Burnstar1230 said:

same here

yeopop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By yeopop

The stories of Fathom are amazing. I recommend volume 1 to everyone for its art and story.

Gambit1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gambit1969

I really like Aspen Comics, Fathom and Soulfire are great reads. Self contained stories without all the confusing backstory of Marvel and DC books.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

So what is the general outline of Fathom?

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By difficlus

@spiderbat87 said:

So what is the general outline of Fathom?

well there a race of underwater dwellers called the blues and its basically about how they interact with human above (aggression etc) and aspen is half blue and half black. However fathom isn't like other underwater adventures. No one is talking to fishes or killing human for hunting whales. the blue are very advanced (think kryptonian advanced) and generally peaceful and wish well for the humans living above. They can turn into water and control it (elite blues only) or channel the energy within the water for different stuff and breathe underwater and not be affected by high pressures (all blues). Once on land they're also much faster than stronger than humans and don't dehydrate unlike people from DC and Marvel. So its just great art, societies clashing together and aspen (as the most powerful blue ever) is caught in the middle. Volume 1/vol 2/ killians tide and cannon are must reads. for more information check these out:

these might not be in order.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @difficlus said:

@spiderbat87 said:

well there a race of underwater dwellers called the blues and its basically about how they interact with human above (aggression etc) and aspen is half blue and half black. However fathom isn't like other underwater adventures. No one is talking to fishes or killing human for hunting whales. the blue are very advanced (think kryptonian advanced) and generally peaceful and wish well for the humans living above. They can turn into water and control it (elite blues only) or channel the energy within the water for different stuff and breathe underwater and not be affected by high pressures (all blues). Once on land they're also much faster than stronger than humans and don't dehydrate unlike people from DC and Marvel. So its just great art, societies clashing together and aspen (as the most powerful blue ever) is caught in the middle. Volume 1/vol 2/ killians tide and cannon are must reads. for more information check these out:

I love the idea of underwater people but Submariner and Aquaman never seem to hold good books (we will see with the new 52) so I'm pretty interested in this and the art is awesome  
    difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By difficlus

@spiderbat87 said:

@difficlus said:

@spiderbat87 said:

I love the idea of underwater people but Submariner and Aquaman never seem to hold good books (we will see with the new 52) so I'm pretty interested in this and the art is awesome

the art lately is actually very bad compared to what they put out in before volume 3. see the pics i put up.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@difficlus said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@difficlus said:

@spiderbat87 said:

I love the idea of underwater people but Submariner and Aquaman never seem to hold good books (we will see with the new 52) so I'm pretty interested in this and the art is awesome

the art lately is actually very bad compared to what they put out in before volume 3. see the pics i put up.

yea I seen them, av just read issue 0# of vol one on comixology

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

ALWAYS have loved Aspen and the artwork it contains. I would definitely love to get this if I ever start making more money. Gorgeous art; I just can't emphasize that enough!

blackair9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By blackair9

@difficlus: I think I going to have to get pick up some back stuff or trade paperbacks Aspen sounds like a good character

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#15  Edited By The Impersonator
    No Caption Provided

Chiki Wow! Wow! :D

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By difficlus

@blackair9 said:

@difficlus: I think I going to have to get pick up some back stuff or trade paperbacks Aspen sounds like a good character

yep!

BoOMbOoMpOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw

Wow looks really cool ! But still no one draws aspen as good as Michael Turner did :(

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GrimoireMyst

@difficlus said:

@blackair9 said:

yep!

I think I will have to do the same. The artwork looks fantastic.

FalcomAdol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FalcomAdol

Every issue of Fathom should be a #1.

They try their best to make it so anyway.

MrGutts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrGutts

I love the Fathom and Soulfire series, but holy jumping jesus how many #1's and #2's can they make out of the same comic over and over? The continuity of this is hosed beyond belief.

Nod-Nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Nod-Nolan

@MrGutts: if it works for Hellboy and BPRD, why can't it work for the Aspen series?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.