inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided
    If the thirteen artifacts come together, it will bring on the destruction of the universe... And obviously, some evil entity wants this to happen. Can all of the top players in Top Cow's universe stop this from happening, or does it mean the end? 

Before we get started, I'll say this. Sometimes, you have to dive right in, head-first, into a book without knowing any back-story or history of a comic. This is me with Artifacts. I read issue 0, and I am currently reading Magdalena, but other than that, I've never had a chance to read any of Top Cow's books. I went in knowing little-to-nothing. And although many people may wonder why a person reviewing this giant story arc would do this, there are many people out there who know nothing about this universe, and this could be their first Top Cow book as well.

The Good

Wow... just wow. As stated in my pre-cursor to the review, I know very little about what's going on in the book. Luckily, Ron Marz did a great job of making everything in this universe easy to understand and explained just enough not to annoy the hardcore fans, but give enough to the new reader so some of us didn't feel lost and confused. Ron Marz's writing is solid, engaging, and leaves you wanting more. The art, pencils by Michael Broussard, inks by Rick Basaldue & Sal Regla, and colors by Sunny Gho are what really pulls everything together for me. It has a great, distinct style that's easy on the eyes, yet full of detail. In addition, there are some great bonus pages in the back including a quick recap on the Origin of Witchblade and a list of the key players in this book.

The Bad

I was a little lost on who everyone was and what the deal was with all of the artifacts, and who some of these people were. I've heard of Darkness and Witchblade before, but the characters Tom Judge and Aphrodite IV were completely new to me and I was still a little confused even after reading the text about them in the back of the issue.

The Verdict 4.5/5 - PICK OF THE WEEK!

100% enjoyable. There's lots of great stuff going on in this book, even if I'm completely confused. Ron Marz has been a writer under my radar for a while because I never got off my butt to read his stuff. Out of the two things I've recently read by him (This and Magdalena) he's two for two. It's wonderful to see another company do a giant cross-over story arc with their characters, and not just one or two appearing in each other's books, and even though this is only the first issue, and a lot of set-up, I have a feeling this book is going to be huge. 
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By sora_thekey

After the interview done about this I was hooked with a story about characters I (like you IE) know nothing about...
    I haven't read this, but I am intrigued by the story... Originally I wasn't planning on buying this comic but now that you have told me you don't know much about this book and since I don't either then I might enjoy this!!! 
    Will buy... and see for myself!

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Magian

It sounds good.
    Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Benzo

Can't wait to read this!!!!! :D

frogger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By frogger
    @sora_thekey: After the interview done about this I was hooked with a story about characters I (like you IE) know nothing about... 

If  any of eveybody wants to know more about the characters in this book just look them up here on comicvine    
    BoOMbOoMpOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw

Can`t wait :D :D :D

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Pizawle

Have to wait because I special ordered the collector's edition.

ninjadude853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By ninjadude853

i got totally sucked into top cow on free comic book day 

i can't wait to see Jackie and Finnegan show up

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Crom-Cruach

must... get... this... comic... tomorrow.

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Legacy_

Can't wait to pick it up!

Enoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Enoch

Yes!! I flippin love the top cow universe. 

Nick-SV(ril)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nick-SV(ril)

Just bought this. couldn't resist the power of the review.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Nick-SV(ril) said:
    " Just bought this. couldn't resist the power of the review. "
    MWAHAHAHAHHA!
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By danhimself

so this is where the review is....why is there a review in the review section that you can comment on but it's not the same as the review that appears in the forum section despite both being written by IE?   that's just weird

anyway....to repeat myself......the book was AWESOME....don't know if it's my pick of the week yet though....I still haven't read Frankencastle #19

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Magian
    @Nick-SV(ril) said:
    "Just bought this. couldn't resist the power of the review. "

Where did you buy this?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.