inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided
    The end of the first act to the giant Top Cow crossover Artifacts is here. The bearers of the artifacts have chosen sides.

The Good

For a Top Cow noob, like myself, I really enjoy the back-up stuff in this book explaining some of the characters and "players" in this storyline. We get a back up story of the origin of the Blood Sword, and back up info on Michael Finnegan, Patience, Abigail van Alstine, and Tilly Grimes. This book is the ultimate super-hero/super-villain team-up. I sense some seriously epic battles in the future of this mini-series. This issue reads more of a mystery than anything. It's a lot of the characters figuring out who to trust and who is behind the madness of trying to remake the world. I love the art in this book, especially on the second to last page where a man (who shall remain nameless until you read it) has essentially electricity flying out of his orrifices. Super-sweet looking art. I'm also a sucker for good use of cross-hatch shading, which is primarily how the artist of this book does shading. One of the other things I really like with the art is the playing with angles in each panel. Things are occasionally straight-forward (no pun intended), but for the most part, there's a great use of profiling, 3/4ths angles, tilts, and many others that keep the book fresh. Sometimes, when a writes takes an ensemble cast, a couple of the characters can fall pretty flat, simply because the writer may focus a bit more on one character. Now, this issue focuses a bit more on "the good guys," but at no point do the characters become cardboard and stale. They stay strong the entire issue and seem to "be themselves" throughout.

The Bad

There is so much going on in this book, and while the back-ups do a good job catching up readers, I find myself a tad bit confused on everything going on. I'm not entirely sure whether said confusion is because I simply do not fully know and understand this world the way most Top Cow fans understand it or because there's a lot to follow. I guess I'm confused on my confusion.

The Verdict 4/5 - Highly Recommended

Bad Jumping-On-Point

Here's the deal. Pick up this series. If you can't find the first three issues, then the Artifacts Hardcover featuring issues 1-4 and the Free Comic Book Day 0 issue (which explains each of the artifacts) will be out sometime this month. This is not the best jumping on point for new readers since it's the end of the first act. This is one of my favorite story arcs of the year, and I'm sure you guys will love it too. By the way, check out the preview of the first four pages below. 

UpscaleDoug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By UpscaleDoug

First of all, pick up some of the early ones first before this, ok as long as its better than the image crossover  and second the art does look nice.

Nuec_Sol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Nuec_Sol

Hey Inferiorego If you have a hard time catching up with the characters just look them up in Comicvine's data base. 
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Decept-O

So a character has electricity flying out of his orifices?  I have a visual I can't get out of my head now.  Ha Ha.   

No, this sounds great, actually.  I can never find the Top Cow books locally.   *sigh*  

Nice succinct review!
    Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Pizawle

I cannot state enough times how much I adore the TCU. Artifacts has been everything I had hoped for and more. Loving it and cannot wait to read this issue tomorrow.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By NightFang3
    @Pizawle said:
    " I cannot state enough times how much I adore the TCU. Artifacts has been everything I had hoped for and more. Loving it and cannot wait to read this issue tomorrow. "
    00 Raiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By 00 Raiser

I think this beats out DC's Blackest Night event.

NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By NexusOfLight
    @NightFang said:
    " @Pizawle said:
    " I cannot state enough times how much I adore the TCU. Artifacts has been everything I had hoped for and more. Loving it and cannot wait to read this issue tomorrow. "
    "

@00 Raiser said:
    " I think this beats out DC's Blackest Night event. "
    I know it beats it.
    Shadow Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Shadow Stalker

I agree.  The Artifacts storyline has been great.  I love it when publishers take plot items they have been developing for years and weave them together.  Makes you think they had it planned all along.  Yet another reason why I loved CrossGen comics so much.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.