Comic Vine News

41 Comments

'X-Men Legacy #226: UTOPIA' Reviewed!

Babs reviews the latest issue!


 

I really liked this issue. I thought it was so much better than the last issue of 'Legacy' I reviewed which made it all that better. A great addition to your 'UTOPIA' collection. Did you read the issue? What did you think? Do you want to see Gambit and Rogue together again?
41 Comments
Posted by Citizen 14

I loved this comic. My favorite parts were the confrontation between Rouge and Mrs. Marvel. (Moonstone) and Rouge trying to take Ares' powers. It just looked great. Also, I love Rouge and Gambit together. Gambit is, and always has been, my favorite X-Men.

and lame. I wrote this before you were like, "Rouge had the best scenes". Dang. ha. Great review.

Posted by Omg chris

good review yes gambit is in it  and a ms. marvel vs rougue thats awesome to

Posted by pixelized

The fight with Rogue was lame to the max. Karla is invulnerable so falling glass would have done all of no harm to her, but she phases instead, which is fine, but then she just watches Rogue get away? As though Karla can't Phase and run/fly at the same time? Lame. I understand that maybe Karla isn't the person that Carey wants to write on a regular basis, but her being bested by Rogue, not believable. Other than that, i kind of enjoyed the book, it was nice seeing Ariel's return, but after that it felt like it was stuck. But i am excited for the next isssue as i'm hoping Ariel has a bigger role, along with Trance.

Moderator
Posted by bioghost

Frist of all I didn't even know that Legacy is part of utopia story line.
I want to get it know to see Rouge beat Ms. Marvel (not very caring for her)

Posted by The_MVPs

I actually liked the Rogue/Ms. Marvel fight. It shows Rogue is more then just a powerhouse, she's also a tactical thinking leader. But my favorite part was at the end, Gambit vs Ares (with a little help ;P). Marvel's Ares is a f'n joke. He's such a waste of a character which made it all the more better to see him get his ass handed to him by the Cajun Ladies Man. God of War my ass lol

(Luv the Public Enemy shirt Babs)

Moderator
Posted by FoxxFireArt

It does come as a pretty good comic. Can't really blame Cyclops for being upset with the lot of them. Rogue pretty much just walked off after she revived without a single word. Considering everything that happened. Gambit also put Sam, Cannonball, in traction during the later quarter of Blinded by the Light.
What I found rather interesting, but I doubt no one noticed. In the first few pages it shows only two of the three Cuckoos on that rooftop seen. Where is the third? You always see them together.

Posted by The_MVPs

The third was captured wasnt she?

Moderator
Posted by CellphoneGirl

I really liked this issue ^^

Posted by Nahero

i cannot believe i did not find this while at the comic store today this is such a dummer

and i love just loved your review babs but who is that guy standing next to ariel?

Posted by pixelized

Gambit? or Onyx?

Moderator
Posted by The_MVPs

Onyx

Moderator
Edited by Suigetsu

They should become an official team. You know xavier, gambit, rouge and danger.
Also they should put jubilee in there...

I really liked this mag ALOT! The action , the storie and the cought by a Transformer! TBH I am not into x-men comics and I just started reading legacy since the begining of last arc. And from there on I have really enjoyed Carey's run.

Yeaarghh Captain Morgan! I Luv captain Morgan..
TaLKIN ABout pirates Deadpool is gonna be a pirate next month xD!

BTW about gambit and rouge... I think they should get married. That doesnt mean that they have to be together all times but at least we wont be having the breaking up and sticking back together again, again and again... Marriage is the only way to end the madness!!!

Posted by Sick_j0k3

Good review, but did she explain why she only gave it a 4 out of 5? I might've missed it but I didn't hear any criticisms on why it came 1 star short of perfect. 

Posted by Selty

Ahh Gambito and Rogue like the good ol' days. I have to say I really enjoyed this comic, as well. Cyclops was great in it.

Posted by jefprice

much better art! I was so happy with this over the lasy UXM issue. 

Posted by X711

Babs: Ya said it... This issue was AMAZING!
Rogue + Gambit: In the last few issues I was gettin tired of them... But seein how things turned out in this issue Im happy their together still...
Danger: Haha "Transfomer" haha Brillant...
My Girl Rogue: Well all I can say is YeE HaWw! She's Back! Mean lately this past year she been what, Almost dying, coma and well in the middle of nowhere... This was a great issue... Just cuz of the action in here, Man I read it 3 times...
Mike Carey: Right now I could kiss ya man... Loved it... A breath of fresh air dude...
Dustin Weaver: Great Work! Originality shows and keep Rogue just the way she is....
Overall 4 out of 5 Stars here... :D

Posted by X711
@FoxxFireArt said:
"It does come as a pretty good comic. Can't really blame Cyclops for being upset with the lot of them. Rogue pretty much just walked off after she revived without a single word. Considering everything that happened. Gambit also put Sam, Cannonball, in traction during the later quarter of Blinded by the Light.What I found rather interesting, but I doubt no one noticed. In the first few pages it shows only two of the three Cuckoos on that rooftop seen. Where is the third? You always see them together."

 I noticed only 2 Cuckoos on the rooftop too... Wheres the third? Anyone know? Curious here... :P
Posted by The_MVPs
@Gambler said:
" The third was captured wasnt she? "

Moderator
Posted by Damn Mac

Excellent breakdown. Keep hitting it out of the park, Babs.

Posted by dondasch

Great review.  If the old relationship of Gambit and Rogue can be recaptured, that would be great.  We'll see what Carey can do.

Posted by goldenkey

It's just another x-men side thing that keeps going and going and going.  I could care less who is with who.

Posted by SuperCoonce

great review babs ---- these vids keep getting better and better :)

Staff
Posted by xerox_kitty

You guys are funky dancers ;)


I agree with Pix that the 'fight' between Rogue & Karla was a bit of a non-event.  Why would falling glass stop an unstoppable & indestructable woman?  The logic there just seemed very weak.  And I have to say how much I hated the cover.  Nasty thick black lines everywhere.  Too messy.

Other than that, I absolutely LOVED this issue.  Bobs, you're right that it's great to see the old team members together.  What's more, is that reading this feels like reading a classic issue from those Gold & Blue days.  and Dustin Weaver's art is absolutely beautiful.  I much prefer it to Silvestri's art in Uncanny X-Men/Dark Avengers: Utopia!!  It is detailed without being bodded down, yet beautiful and soft.  It doesn't feel rushed, yet never slows the action down.  Lovely!

Personally, I don't care for Rogue & Gambit anymore.  Either have them together, or break them up.  They've had 20 years of 'waiting', so just get on with it!

And Babs, I love you for picking up on Ariel's schemes.  Oh yeah, she's definitely up to something!!  She's been willing to sell her friends out before, but this time...?  I loved seeing her again after so long.  That was fantastic.  But if Cyclops didn't send her, then why was she with Onyx?  Confusing confusing... Curiouser & curioser...!!
Moderator
Posted by The_MVPs
@xerox-kitty said:
"Personally, I don't care for Rogue & Gambit anymore.  Either have them together, or break them up.  They've had 20 years of 'waiting', so just get on with it!"
Say it ain't so
Moderator
Posted by Vindellavon

Liked the issue, hated the Romy.

Posted by xerox_kitty
@Gambler said:
" @xerox-kitty said:
"Personally, I don't care for Rogue & Gambit anymore.  Either have them together, or break them up.  They've had 20 years of 'waiting', so just get on with it!"
Say it ain't so "
LOL... well, it's not that I hate them.  It's more a case of major apathy.  If they get together, then that's fine... just get on with it!  Don't drag it out any longer!  I don't want to be collecting my pension before they're finally an official dating couple ;)
Moderator
Posted by Jamiracles

All I know is The 'Clops rolled up in a jetpack (in the newest Utopia) and my respect for him returned immediately.

If that makes me shallow then who isnt!?

Posted by Media_Master


I'll pick this up soon
Posted by xerox_kitty

The jetpack reminded me of NextWave.  But I can't believe that Matt Fraction gets paid for 'I come in peace. Take me to your leader'.

Moderator
Posted by Dupe
@Gambler said:
"But my favorite part was at the end, Gambit vs Ares (with a little help ;P). Marvel's Ares is a f'n joke. He's such a waste of a character which made it all the more better to see him get his ass handed to him by the Cajun Ladies Man. God of War my ass lol  "
True, the way Ares is written is pure garbage, but if you check out his mini you'll see how Ares should be written. In there he's a pretty bad ass character.
Posted by Media_Master

Utopia is back on track!!

Posted by pixelized
@xerox-kitty said:
" The jetpack reminded me of NextWave.  But I can't believe that Matt Fraction gets paid for 'I come in peace. Take me to your leader'. "
i told you to apply for a job with them!
Moderator
Posted by xerox_kitty
@pixelized: You always make me laugh :)

Dear Joe, please give me a job writing a cheesy, but fun title.  I have no experience at writing comics, and haven't written any sort of fiction since I was about 12.  But my mate Pix believes in me... 

I need to work on my 'pitch' ;)

How about NextWave: The NextGen :p

Moderator
Posted by pixelized

See, that made me laugh, all the more reason for you to apply!


That sounds good to me, especially with Boom Boom coming back! [=
Moderator
Posted by xerox_kitty

Mebba... but I doubt that NextWave: NeXt-Babies would be as popular ;)


You're really convinced she'll be back, aren't you?  :)
Moderator
Posted by No_Name_

I'm seeing a lot of criticism over the scene with Rogue and Ms. Marvel. Rogue didn't "Beat her," she "outsmarted her," which in my opinion is completely believable. Nobody's perfect, and let's face it, Karla has her blond moments once in a while ;)

@Sick_j0k3 said:

" Good review, but did she explain why she only gave it a 4 out of 5? I might've missed it but I didn't hear any criticisms on why it came 1 star short of perfect.  "

5 out of 5 is reserved for a comic that really blows me away. I can really like something, but it has got to move me...kind of like "I can't consider myself a comic fan without this issue!" and I don't feel that this issue of Legacy was on that level.


@xerox-kitty said:


And Babs, I love you for picking up on Ariel's schemes.  Oh yeah, she's definitely up to something!!  She's been willing to sell her friends out before, but this time...?  I loved seeing her again after so long.  That was fantastic.  But if Cyclops didn't send her, then why was she with Onyx?  Confusing confusing... Curiouser & curioser...!!
"
I am seriously excited about her role in this issue. Something about the dialogue between her and Remy just seemed a little bit...off. Could it be Mystique? She IS working for Norman now...and it's not like she has a choice.


@Gambler said:
 God of War my ass lol (Luv the Public Enemy shirt Babs) "
Thanks, it's my favorite! LOL! As for Ares, I feel like Bendis (lately) was writing him in Dark Avengers as a sort of dim-witted character. I was surprised that Rogue didn't receive more damage than she did after absorbing his power.
Posted by pixelized
@xerox-kitty said:
" Mebba... but I doubt that NextWave: NeXt-Babies would be as popular ;)

You're really convinced she'll be back, aren't you?  :)
"
without a doubt! X watched Kiden die, so it seems like she's going to lay down her life to get Tabitha back
Moderator
Edited by xerox_kitty
@Babs said:
@xerox-kitty said:
"And Babs, I love you for picking up on Ariel's schemes.  Oh yeah, she's definitely up to something!!  She's been willing to sell her friends out before, but this time...?  I loved seeing her again after so long.  That was fantastic.  But if Cyclops didn't send her, then why was she with Onyx?  Confusing confusing... Curiouser & curioser...!!"
I am seriously excited about her role in this issue. Something about the dialogue between her and Remy just seemed a little bit...off. Could it be Mystique? She IS working for Norman now...and it's not like she has a choice. "
I don't think it's Mystique, although I see why you'd think that.  After all, the doorway did glow pink, which is a sign of Ariel's natural alien ability to teleport through doorways.  The strange dialogue is probably her mutant power, since she can convince people to so what she says (or just agree with her).  So Remy being an experienced X-Men & Marauder would probably have had enough TP training to suspect her, so she'd have to come up with another excuse to convince him even more... Maybe??? </geekspaz> 

In Mindee's telepathic conversation with Rogue, she does say that a search team was sent to collect Trance but hadn't returned.  All they had to do was carry her back through the doorway.  And I've seen a pencilld preview page for the next issue, and Trance is in that, but it's hard to tell what's happening without any colour or dialogue... so something has happened, I just can't figure out what.

@pixelized said: 
"without a doubt! X watched Kiden die, so it seems like she's going to lay down her life to get Tabitha back "
In that case... I hope that HAMMER don't catch up to X first... *worries*
Moderator
Posted by pixelized

They're coming after her?

Moderator
Posted by AngelFrost

Nice review (:
Glad to see your feeling better.

and Lol at the guys,
Geeze :P your soo lucky.

Posted by romyfan

Loved seeing Rogue in action and I love the Romy.  Great issue.  However, I will not be happy if they turn Rogue and Gamibit's relationship into another major train wreck.  I am sick of that.  Let them be happy, finally.  They are better together anyway.