Comic Vine News

196 Comments

Will Darkseid be the big bad in the Justice League movie?

It looks like we might see the ruler of Apokolips hit DC's heroes with some omega beams on the silver screen.

Not a whole lot of information has leaked about the potential Justice League movie, but tonight Latino Review posted a veeeeeeeeeery interesting exclusive.  According to the site, Darkseid will serve as the Justice League's threat in the first movie.     

 "KNEEL BEFORE DARKSEID," says Warner Bros. to Marvel Studios.
Naturally, this is a move that's going to stir up some Marvel vs DC movies controversy. For one, do I need to even draw Thanos comparisons? Yes, yes... Darkseid appeared in the comics before Thanos (1970 vs 1973), but I'm willing to bet a rather huge percentage of general moviegoers don't know that.  
 
I can understand how this is a logical choice for the studio, though. Darkseid served as the foe in The New 52's first JUSTICE LEAGUE story and, as expected, the title didn't do too shabby with sales.  The six issue arc also showcased how the characters joined forces. To me, it seems like a safe bet the film will be inspired by Geoff Johns' story. You know, assuming this reveal actually pans out.
 
Viners, what do you think about this? Are you happy with the selection or would you rather see a different villain picked for the big screen?  

Source: Latino Review
196 Comments
  • 196 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
Posted by Dethklokx7

Heres how you do it DC:

1st movie: Government or CADMUS to develop AMAZO as a contingency against the the yet to be formed Justice League. He attacks each one only to get stronger with each encounter forcing and ultimately going rouge. They come together to stop AMAZO and the league is formed. End with after credits scene of the reveal that AMAZO design and project was influenced by Brainiac saying "This experience was most informative. I well correct this error......"

Posted by TheTmac

Darkseid is the safe choice wich is a smart move considering its the first JLA movie.In the sequels they can get a bit more ballsy and try Starro,Braniac,Superboy Prime or even the Anti Monitor.

Posted by N00beditor3

Wasn't it reported that the Masters of Evil would be the villains working for Thanos in Avengers 2? That right there can help differentiate them, a little. Thanos is likely going to continued to be played up as the chess master, manipulating stuff behind the scenes. You can make Darkseid more upfront.

Posted by G_Money_Christmas

Darkseid is one of the Justice League's most powerful opponents, I can understand why they chose him... He poses the biggest threat. Brainiac would be cool, too. I think it'd be best to create a completely new villain that poses a threat to the entire world... H'El would be pretty sweet, I think.

Posted by sora_thekey

@Zeeguy91: Hmmm... (After checking the CV pages for all these characters.) Lets see, Grundy is pretty much a powerful zombie. I don't think that would sell too well on the big screen, especially fighting against the likes of Superman. Seeing as how the JL includes gods and aliens, characters like Amazo, Queen Bee and Vandal Savage might not be a big enough threat in the movie. TO Morrow might be good as a secondary character. For Legion of Doom to exist there needs to be a Justice League first. Prometheus is pretty much a Batman villain.

So it seems that Despero or Starro are the best bet instead of Darkseid.

Moderator
Posted by SUNMAN

Good don't hold anything back. The general audience doesn't know who Thanos is anyway even if they saw that scene at the end of Avengers

Online
Posted by Grey56

@TitanTempest said:

This.

Once Thanos arrives mainstream and is established in the Avengers 2 movie, then we would prob never see Darkseid on the big screen for future movies. So Id rather see a head-to-head match Marvel and DC, then to never see him at all

Agreed. And I really love Thanos - ask me how much sometime and my wife will read the riot act on how much. Darkseid is a great choice, not the only one perhaps; Amazo, Luthor, Brainiac or even Doomsday might work as well just to name a few. I got the faith that Time Warner will do Kirby's villain justice. We'll see.

Posted by GeekOfKrypton

Yeah Baby! Go big or go home!!!!!!!!

Posted by G_Money_Christmas

@StMichalofWilson: I think Michael Clarke Duncan (RIP) had the best, most menacing voice for the character

Posted by HushoftheWind

@DeusVult: they'll probably each get their respective movies introducing a villain in each, then fight the Legion of Doom in the JL sequel

Posted by RoTheKid

Hmm...not sure I would do Darkseid first. Maybe Vandal Savage or Starro like someone else pointed out. I have to admit, I'm a bit worried for this film. But I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Posted by Batman242

Thanos is a rip of Metron and Darkseid from DC so it doesn't matter to me if they go with Darkseid as the leading villain/opponent. I was thinkin' they should do someone like Brainiac. If they do the White Martians, people will think its an automatic copy of The Avengers.... Whatever they do, they should make the Tower of Babel arc a part of the series. That would be awesome.

Posted by mattwing87

"but I'm willing to bet a rather huge percentage of general moviegoers don't know that."

That's cause no one reads comics anymore :(. Majority of the people I know who watch The Walking Dead had no freaking idea that it was based off a comic series.

Posted by Lvenger

Until we get official confirmation, I'll remain sceptical for now. Though Darkseid is way too obvious a choice, deserves more than to be a mere Justice League villain and will get loads of Thanos comparisons from non comic book viewers. And I have a bad feeling WB are rushing Justice League to compete with the Avengers 2. And a rushed movie is never a good thing.

Posted by moywar700

Not many people are gonna like my JL idea.I think there should be no villain in the story.The Justice League's mission is political and they go around the world doing politics stuff.There's once scene where Superman stops the middle east from killing each other with guns but they ended up having a blood bath with rocks as weapons.The movie will explore Wonder Woman ambassor's mission for world peace.She writes a book and there's a public outcry for it because of how scandalous it is.

Posted by Arkhamc1tizen

@DeusVult: how about any other jl villian?

Posted by zackattack529

@Dethklokx7 said:

Heres how you do it DC:

1st movie: Government or CADMUS to develop AMAZO as a contingency against the the yet to be formed Justice League. He attacks each one only to get stronger with each encounter forcing and ultimately going rouge. They come together to stop AMAZO and the league is formed. End with after credits scene of the reveal that AMAZO design and project was influenced by Brainiac saying "This experience was most informative. I well correct this error......"

*yawn

Posted by kid Apollo

my only issue with this is the Darkseid is such a big villian, who would be the baddie of a potential sequel? i think he should be saved for a 2nd or 3rd movie

Posted by StrangeMan

Ok, so now i can safely assume that we will see Cyborg instead of MM in this, oh well.

Also, Brainiac would've work amazing as well, having him referenced by Zod in Man of Steel so things get even more tense in the movie, helping the tone of this more "serious and gritty world" they're trying to portray. Still, it's smart for Warner to do this as close to The New 52 as possible, but at the same time it's stupid, because things are really close to what Marvel's doing, they have to manage well the scripts and set the tone right so that people who aren't familiar with comic books know that this isn't an Avengers rip off with no Samuel L Jackson. I hope that they really think this through instead of just rushing to get the film up as quick as possible.

Posted by Darkmount1

@DeusVult: Despero?

Posted by Cavemold

darkseid should and would be a good villain

Posted by joshmightbe

Michael Ironside for Darkseid please

Posted by DarthShap

@moywar700 said:

Not many people are gonna like my JL idea.I think there should be no villain in the story.The Justice League's mission is political and they go around the world doing politics stuff.There's once scene where Superman stops the middle east from killing each other with guns but they ended up having a blood bath with rocks as weapons.The movie will explore Wonder Woman ambassor's mission for world peace.She writes a book and there's a public outcry for it because of how scandalous it is.

So basically, the Authority?

Posted by KNIGHT SAVIOR

I kind of figure it was Darkseid but this shouldn't be a origin movie they should establish that JLA been around for years and have more members, in fact should open the movie with other members going on deep space mission and leave the original seven on Earth to face the big threat themselves

Posted by MP_SimonWilliams

@The Stegman: Not a bad idea you have....I'd be open to that. There have been a ton of good suggestions in this thread....all that would be better than just Darkseid with parademons...........Like I said, I love Darkseid as a badd-ass, but the problem with Darkseid in JLA movie would be that both movies debut in 2015......It'd seem just like "Meteor" vs "Armageddon" when both those stinker flicks came our at the same time. Eeef.

Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy

Too much to introduce in the first JL film. This movie is going to be confusing and messy. It will fail. Hate to say.

Posted by AmazingWebHead

I hope so. Making the White Martians villains seems wrong after Young Justice, and Starro would look too silly on screen.

Posted by SUNMAN

@AmazingWebHead said:

I hope so. Making the White Martians villains seems wrong after Young Justice, and Starro would look too silly on screen.

why does making White Martians villains seem wrong. Ms. Martians ben lobotomizing people left and right

Online
Posted by Z3RO180

I think its a godd idea cause well darkseid awesome

Posted by Zeeguy91

@sora_thekey said:

@Zeeguy91: Hmmm... (After checking the CV pages for all these characters.) Lets see, Grundy is pretty much a powerful zombie. I don't think that would sell too well on the big screen, especially fighting against the likes of Superman. Seeing as how the JL includes gods and aliens, characters like Amazo, Queen Bee and Vandal Savage might not be a big enough threat in the movie. TO Morrow might be good as a secondary character. For Legion of Doom to exist there needs to be a Justice League first. Prometheus is pretty much a Batman villain.

So it seems that Despero or Starro are the best bet instead of Darkseid.

How would Amazo, a nearly invincible android who can duplicate all of the powers of the Justice League, not enough of a threat? Although, he's not a good choice for a first movie villain because for Ivo to build Amazo in response to the JL, there has to be a JL first. Save him for the second or third movie. Also, which Queen Bee are you referring to? There are several. I should have been clearer, but I meant the Zazzala version, who has superhuman strength and speed and the ability to control peoples minds. I think she'd be a good choice since both DC and Marvel have so few strong female villains. Also, Vandal Savage isn't really so much of a physical threat (although he is immortal, so the League wouldn't be able to kill him anyway), but more so of a threat when dealing with his manipulative and tactical brilliance.

Posted by r3d_rob1n

Darkseid in first movie with Cyborg, and then possibly a sequel that introduces the Martian Manhunter. I wouldn't mind seeing a white MArtian invasion. WB could even have Batman rape face in the sequel as an homage to the time he took out the White Martians with only his fists, his brains, and a book of matches

Posted by OutlawRenegade

@DarthShap said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

Why do people think that if DC uses Darkseid first, then they won't have any villains to use later?

They could do an Atlantean Invasion story. They could do a story with a secret and shadowy version of the LoD/Injustice League/The Light like in Young Justice. They could use Hades. They could even make Felix Faust a servant and worshiper of the inter-dimensional god Starro (just make him a Lovecraftian as possible). It's not hard coming up with threats. Just read Grant Morrison's run for other ideas.

It is not that somehow there will not be any villain to use, it is just that you cannot top Darkseid, the ultimate threat. If Justice League is to become a franchise, that is going to be huge problem.

Anti-Monitor. Crisis of Infinite Earths. Explore New Genesis and Apokolips further in a sequel. Black Lanterns. There are plenty of ways to top Darkseid.

Posted by SUNMAN

ALL HAIL LORD DARKSEID!

By Jeremy Roberts
Great image for cover
Justice League #5
Sitting down
Online
Posted by _Zombie_

@InnerVenom123 said:

So it'll be pretty much the exact same plot as Avengers.

Surely this won't backfire.

Surely.

Posted by sora_thekey

@Zeeguy91: What I meant by big enough threat was that since the team's roster includes heavy hitters like aliens, gods and kings then any simple human or man-made villain wouldn't seem like such a big threat as an alien or a multidimensional threat would look like to the eyes of the JL.

Moderator
Posted by sethysquare

@DarthShap: nothing ultimate about joker?

wahhahahahahahhaahhahahahahahhaahahhahahahahahaha.

oh god. you crack me up.

Posted by sethysquare

@theTimeStreamer said:

@sethysquare said:

@theTimeStreamer said:

this idea is stupid. we dont know jack about their universe. we dont know what is normal or not. and they just throw dc's biggest baddie at us and expect us to be cool with it. give us some backstory, something to go on. the universe is 100% NOT like the comic one.

Huh? What backstory do you want? Don't you think you're being a little ridiculous?

You didn't need any back story for green goblin in spiderman 1.

you also didnt need any back story for scarecrow in batman 1.

neither did you need any back story for loki in thor.

there also wouldn't be any back story for thanos in avengers 2.

So whats the difference? You want some back story? try wikipedia

you got backstory for loki and green goblin. batman was a mess. they are throwing way too many characters at the screen and expect them to stick. all of the leaguers. who are they? do they have family alive? do they have existent villains? not to mention what are the heroes secret identities. batman and superman are easy but the rest are not known to the public. they wont have alot of time for backstories and it will be messy. now you can continue to be the dick ive seen you to be when dc is involved or see reason. up to you.

are you kidding me? theres no back story for green goblin in the first film. Everything was introduced there.

you should really try wikipedia marvel fanboy.

Posted by JamDamage

similar but not the same. There will be plenty of differances. Darkside already rules a planet facist style looking for the number thingy to rule everyone. Plus him being a New God will be cool. His minions should be pretty creepy on film as well. Thanos just wants to rule. He also has a thing for death. It'll be fine.

Posted by whitelantern64

@r3d_rob1n: uh what do u mean by " Batman rape face"?

Posted by jrock85

This is a sh*tstorm in the making.

Posted by sweatboy

Marvel's got Thanos,.. Thanos is cooler though

Posted by RedOwl_1

Sounds right to me, you don't really need much to make a villain like Darkseid; like in this DCnU they can just 'BOOM here is the bad guy now battle him or die trying'

He really doesn't need too much introduction nor background history.

Posted by jrock85

Meanwhile, over at Disney/Marvel...

Edited by OutlawRenegade

YES! Combine Justice League: Origin, Final Crisis, and Legends and you have a movie!

Posted by DarthShap

@sethysquare said:

@DarthShap: nothing ultimate about joker?

wahhahahahahahhaahhahahahahahhaahahhahahahahahaha.

oh god. you crack me up.

And you fail to answer to arguments.

I think you do not understand the meaning of the word. It means "last", "final".

The Joker is not no way linked to any idea of ending.

Posted by OutlawRenegade
Posted by DarthShap

@OutlawRenegade said:

@DarthShap said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

Why do people think that if DC uses Darkseid first, then they won't have any villains to use later?

They could do an Atlantean Invasion story. They could do a story with a secret and shadowy version of the LoD/Injustice League/The Light like in Young Justice. They could use Hades. They could even make Felix Faust a servant and worshiper of the inter-dimensional god Starro (just make him a Lovecraftian as possible). It's not hard coming up with threats. Just read Grant Morrison's run for other ideas.

It is not that somehow there will not be any villain to use, it is just that you cannot top Darkseid, the ultimate threat. If Justice League is to become a franchise, that is going to be huge problem.

Anti-Monitor. Crisis of Infinite Earths. Explore New Genesis and Apokolips further in a sequel. Black Lanterns. There are plenty of ways to top Darkseid.

1)Those are not Justice League stories.

2)There is just no way to make a movie out of Crisis on Infinite Earths because it requires dozens of movies about those Earths otherwise people would not care about them disappearing. Same thing about the Black Lanterns, which would require hundreds of superhero deaths prior to the actual movie.

Posted by jobbernos

@insanepayne7 said:

I'd prefer Starro!!!!!!

Posted by TheMtVernonKid82

Not surprised more surprised that this movie may only be 4 members.

Posted by Mina319

Darkseid is WAY too early, Brainiac would be better then legion of doom for the sequel then lead up to darkseid in justice league 3

  • 196 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4