Comic Vine News

66 Comments

Scott Lobdell's RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS Re-drawn & Re-cast

Some people critique comics, others put their pencil where their mouth is.

There's been two issues so far for RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS. It has been the center of controversy when the first issue featured Starfire with what seemed to be a new attitude. With all the discussion, it's clear that some people are really digging the series while others have voiced their opinion on why they don't like it.

Writer Scott Lobdell, being the good sport he is, discovered one fan express their opinion in a different manner and decided to share it with us.

== TEASER ==
LOL: A Special to Comicvine
By Scott Lobdell

I've certainly heard from a lot of people about RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS... but only one critic has gone so far as to re-write and re-draw and re-cast issue the series! And trust me when I say it is deserving of a wider audience!

VoxVulpina is a riot -- a very talented artist. Even better, a very talented satirist!

For everyone who misses the days of NOT BRAND ECHH and WHAT THE -- ?! VoxVulpina totally captures the cutting irreverence that made those series so biting and funny in the day. Here is hoping that we see more of this person's work in the future. (Very few people remember this, but I actually cut my teeth on WHAT THE -- ?! "The Last Charlie America Story" and "Marvel Balls" -- and I even wrote an entire MARVEL RIOT book where I savagely spoofed my own work on Age of Apocalypse back in the day!)

And yes, I could certainly do without the mean comment section, but that's just because I'm a person and no one actually enjoys being insulted. But... I will let you in on a Secret Of Being A Comic Book Writer: some people like your writing, some people don't!

Go check it out on VoxVulpina's DeviantArt site... and who knows, maybe ComicVine will collect the all the pages when they come out!

Here is the cover and first page.

After ditching Superboy and escaping the costraints of his book, Rose Wilson sets off in search of her father, Deathstroke, in order to wipe his new cheesy "scariest badass on the planet" persona off the face of the Earth. On the way, she bumps into this weird-ass mismatched trio in a jeep who’re speeding like crazy to get away from their evil writer, LOL-bdell. This newly emerging supervillain has traumatized our heroes, subjecting them to the worst forms of torture you can think of, including loss of braincells, hours of mandatory posing and Frat Boy Syndrome.

66 Comments
  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by Bestostero

They lost me when i saw Rose...eww bleh!

Posted by PrincessSolaria

Very Funny.

Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt

oy. just let the series die and give us the Outsiders back....please DC?

Posted by TheMess1428

Dude.............. Can DC publish this as the new cartoony comic that they also put out like Tiny Titans? :)

Posted by ReVamp
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

oy. just let the series die and give us the Outsiders back....please DC?

oy. Don't let the series die and give us back Outsiders... please DC? :P
Posted by ARMIV2

Yes.

Posted by TheGoldenOne
Cute.
Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt

@ReVamp said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

oy. just let the series die and give us the Outsiders back....please DC?

oy. Don't let the series die and give us back Outsiders... please DC? :P

it's like you wait for me lol.

Posted by KainScion

*with a scotish accent* WHAT IS THIS SH!T?!?

Edited by Lonestar88

Lol, this is the plot synopsis from the artist' deviant art page: 

 
"After ditching Superboy and escaping the costraints of his book, Rose Wilson sets off in search of her father, Deathstroke, in order to wipe his new cheesy "scariest badass on the planet" persona off the face of the Earth. On the way, she bumps into this weird-ass mismatched trio in a jeep who’re speeding like crazy to get away from their evil writer, LOL-bdell. This newly emerging supervillain has traumatized our heroes, subjecting them to the worst forms of torture you can think of, including loss of braincells, hours of mandatory posing and Frat Boy Syndrome."

Posted by The Poet

intersting...

Moderator
Posted by daredevil21134

ZZZZZZZ

Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus

That would be amazing if it came out as a kids-y like comic! I love that cover :)

Posted by Kairan1979
@ReVamp said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

oy. just let the series die and give us the Outsiders back....please DC?

oy. Don't let the series die and give us back Outsiders... please DC? :P
Posted by FinnVarra
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

oy. just let the series die and give us the Secret Six back....please DC?

Fixed!
Posted by PowerPlug

WTF... are you kidding me with this?

Posted by moywar700

is this a joke?

Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee

Red Hood and The Outlaws, so far, is an amazing book and the people who are "offended" or dislike starfire's portrayal should get their heads out of their asses. Sure, its a little bit much, but this is a new age where females can be portrayed as either serious and full clothed or half-naked and bubbly. There are plenty of female's in the DCnU who aren't portrayed as being sex icons but because DC decided to make Catwoman and Starfire them its suddenly an outrage. People these days. Get over it. It's a comic. Dont like it? Dont buy it. Read something else.

But really, DC, maybe even Scott, bring back the outsiders. They're awesome.

Edited by fodigg

Like it. And more proof that Lobdell is a good sport, although I still wish he'd assure us he understands the critiques other than "some people like stuff, some people don't!"

Edit: It should be noted, however, that this is not the first art critique/spoof of Red Hood:

RED X AND THE OUTLAWS: REDEMPTION ROAD - The mysterious Red X has discovered that Arsenal’s daughter is still alive. While Roy and Starfire believes him, unfortunately, everyone else believes former villain is lying to take advantage of the grief stricken archer. Together with Red X, the trio will journey the dark and mystic Redemption Road to reunite father and daughter together again.”
(Source)

Unfortunately Starfire looks hideous in the above, but I like the concept.

Posted by daredevil21134

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

Red Hood and The Outlaws, so far, is an amazing book and the people who are "offended" or dislike starfire's portrayal should get their heads out of their asses. Sure, its a little bit much, but this is a new age where females can be portrayed as either serious and full clothed or half-naked and bubbly. There are plenty of female's in the DCnU who aren't portrayed as being sex icons but because DC decided to make Catwoman and Starfire them its suddenly an outrage. People these days. Get over it. It's a comic. Dont like it? Dont buy it. Read something else.

But really, DC, maybe even Scott, bring back the outsiders. They're awesome.

Great post

Posted by xander_cole
@ArturoCalaKayVee: I agree with you a 110%. Haters can screw themself!!!
Posted by Neverpraying

I think they need to not make Chibi comics, and they need to get their damn asses in gear with starfire.

I'm sick of hearing people whine everysingle day. I don't read DC anymore because they are sexist pigs with women like Starefire. -_-

They have obviously never heard of Kate/Batwoman tho....

Posted by lykopis

Fave Part?

LOL-BDELL'S SECRET LAIR. Very cute and funny.

That is all. :)

Posted by ReVamp

@fodigg said:

Like it. And more proof that Lobdell is a good sport, although I still wish he'd assure us he understands the critiques other than "some people like stuff, some people don't!"

Edit: It should be noted, however, that this is not the first art critique/spoof of Red Hood:

RED X AND THE OUTLAWS: REDEMPTION ROAD - The mysterious Red X has discovered that Arsenal’s daughter is still alive. While Roy and Starfire believes him, unfortunately, everyone else believes former villain is lying to take advantage of the grief stricken archer. Together with Red X, the trio will journey the dark and mystic Redemption Road to reunite father and daughter together again.”
(Source)

Unfortunately Starfire looks hideous in the above, but I like the concept.

Awesome.

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

Red Hood and The Outlaws, so far, is an amazing book and the people who are "offended" or dislike starfire's portrayal should get their heads out of their asses. Sure, its a little bit much, but this is a new age where females can be portrayed as either serious and full clothed or half-naked and bubbly. There are plenty of female's in the DCnU who aren't portrayed as being sex icons but because DC decided to make Catwoman and Starfire them its suddenly an outrage. People these days. Get over it. It's a comic. Dont like it? Dont buy it. Read something else.

But really, DC, maybe even Scott, bring back the outsiders. They're awesome.

I think that the majority of the people that are pissed aren't pissed at this, but are pissed that Starfire has changed so much.

Posted by Mokey

I don't know what the problem is. Starfire has always been a sex icon.

Edited by daredevil21134

@Mokey said:

I don't know what the problem is. Starfire has always been a sex icon.

I know, Nightwing told me lol

Posted by pixelized

 
 
@fodigg said:

Like it. And more proof that Lobdell is a good sport, although I still wish he'd assure us he understands the critiques other than "some people like stuff, some people don't!"


This to the max!
 
Comics are a luxury expense. I need more than a, "because I said so" to continue investing some money into something.
 
@Neverpraying said:
I'm sick of hearing people whine everysingle day. I don't read DC anymore because they are sexist pigs with women like Starefire. -_-

They have obviously never heard of Kate/Batwoman tho....

What's the relation?
Posted by 0xymoron

That's too cute.

Posted by BlackArmor

This wasn't worth my time nor was it worth Lobdells instead of waisting time with this he should be hitting another issue of Outlaws out of the park

Posted by TadThuggish
Posted by Gordo789

Scott comes off as incredibly humble for all the bullshit he gets. If anything, all the talk about this book has only tempted me to add it to my pull list where it would have otherwise never found a home.

Posted by daredevil21134

@Gordo789 said:

Scott comes off as incredibly humble for all the bullshit he gets. If anything, all the talk about this book has only tempted me to add it to my pull list where it would have otherwise never found a home.

add it,its great

Posted by daredevil21134

@BlackArmor said:

This wasn't worth my time nor was it worth Lobdells instead of waisting time with this he should be hitting another issue of Outlaws out of the park

yup

Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt

@FinnVarra said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

oy. just let the series die and give us the Outsiders and Secret Six back....please DC?

Fixed!

ya happy?!?

Posted by FinnVarra
@Avenging-X-Bolt: Touche
Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee

@ReVamp: True, starfire has changed A LOT, and I have to admit that i'm not exactly fond of it, but it's a great new play on the character which makes me okay with the idea. No one says this will last, but for now its here and its staying. like i said before: if you dont like it, dont read it. Agree? Disagree?

Posted by ReVamp

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@ReVamp: True, starfire has changed A LOT, and I have to admit that i'm not exactly fond of it, but it's a great new play on the character which makes me okay with the idea. No one says this will last, but for now its here and its staying. like i said before: if you dont like it, dont read it. Agree? Disagree?

Yes, I agree with you.

Starfire has unfortunately changed a lot in the DC revamp and its something that I'm not exactly fond of either. I'm not exactly digging the whole I-don't-have-a-personality thing, but I do think that the book is superb in almost every other respect and that it deserves more good reception to counter-balance the bad reception that its been getting lately.

I'm don't know if it will last, it most probably won't, since at some point in time DC will have her acknowledge Dick and some of the events that have happened since she's reached earth.

But yes, if you don't like it, don't read it and I don't think anyone can argue with that, though I think that it is okay for people to dislike the direction that the character of starfire has taken and I also think that its absolutely okay for people to voice their disdain through rants and blogs.

But yeah, I agree with you.

Posted by Mister_Sensational

@daredevil21134 said:

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

Red Hood and The Outlaws, so far, is an amazing book and the people who are "offended" or dislike starfire's portrayal should get their heads out of their asses. Sure, its a little bit much, but this is a new age where females can be portrayed as either serious and full clothed or half-naked and bubbly. There are plenty of female's in the DCnU who aren't portrayed as being sex icons but because DC decided to make Catwoman and Starfire them its suddenly an outrage. People these days. Get over it. It's a comic. Dont like it? Dont buy it. Read something else.

But really, DC, maybe even Scott, bring back the outsiders. They're awesome.

Great post

I concur.

Posted by Duo_forbidden
@fodigg said:

Like it. And more proof that Lobdell is a good sport, although I still wish he'd assure us he understands the critiques other than "some people like stuff, some people don't!"

Edit: It should be noted, however, that this is not the first art critique/spoof of Red Hood:

RED X AND THE OUTLAWS: REDEMPTION ROAD - The mysterious Red X has discovered that Arsenal’s daughter is still alive. While Roy and Starfire believes him, unfortunately, everyone else believes former villain is lying to take advantage of the grief stricken archer. Together with Red X, the trio will journey the dark and mystic Redemption Road to reunite father and daughter together again.”
(Source)

Unfortunately Starfire looks hideous in the above, but I like the concept.

Holy crap, I would read that, along with the one with Rose.
Posted by TheRedRobin96

OK Lets NOW cancel Outlaws because people are being Starfire fanboys and complaining she CHANGED in a REVAMP!!!!!!!!!!! You people complain Hawk and Dove was pretty much not even close to being anything new, well guess what neither were Batman or Green Lantern (well barely) and you accept people like Superboy change (which is cool) but you complain about Starfire??? DC Give us Outsiders and KEEP the Outlaws. Scott is doing a great job with it.

Posted by ChaosAgentLoki

@ReVamp:

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@ReVamp: True, starfire has changed A LOT, and I have to admit that i'm not exactly fond of it, but it's a great new play on the character which makes me okay with the idea. No one says this will last, but for now its here and its staying. like i said before: if you dont like it, dont read it. Agree? Disagree?

Yes, I agree with you.

Starfire has unfortunately changed a lot in the DC revamp and its something that I'm not exactly fond of either. I'm not exactly digging the whole I-don't-have-a-personality thing, but I do think that the book is superb in almost every other respect and that it deserves more good reception to counter-balance the bad reception that its been getting lately.

I'm don't know if it will last, it most probably won't, since at some point in time DC will have her acknowledge Dick and some of the events that have happened since she's reached earth.

But yes, if you don't like it, don't read it and I don't think anyone can argue with that, though I think that it is okay for people to dislike the direction that the character of starfire has taken and I also think that its absolutely okay for people to voice their disdain through rants and blogs.

But yeah, I agree with you.

That was a very well thought out post. I myself have never liked Starfire, so any changes kind of sail right over my head. However, at the same time, I do agree that it is fine for people to rant and rave about this stuff. It's not hurting anyone, and (at least for me) it's not affecting my view of the series (one of the best that the DCnU has put out, in my opinion). In other words, I can agree with your perspective and respect those who don't like what has been done. However, I am personally enjoying Red Hood and the Outlaws, and I am enjoying Scott Lobdell's writing. That is all I have to say on this matter.

Posted by BlackArmor

@moywar700 said:

is this a joke?

Yes and a bad one at that

Posted by difficlus

@BlackArmor said:

@moywar700 said:

is this a joke?

Yes and a bad one at that

a very bad one...

Posted by daredevil21134

@difficlus said:

@BlackArmor said:

@moywar700 said:

is this a joke?

Yes and a bad one at that

a very bad one...

lol

Posted by Darkmount1

For some reason I can't explain...maybe the book would be better if it had in one issue....Starfire playing the bagpipes?

Posted by SC

Wait, wait, so people get frustrated, angry, upset, complain (or possibly just pointing out/expressing opinions) at people voicing their their opinions that are critical of anything ever... ?? Then its don't like it, don't buy it? Is that the new Marvel and DC advertising slogan? You know, on account of like comics losing all its fans recently? Since you know, they didn't like it and so didn't buy it and the ones trying to look for solutions? Well eff of and go to other mediums? 
 
Nyeh, not about personally liking or personally disliking the issue, but when did the ability to critically think die in a terrible fiery burning accident? 

Moderator
Posted by ChernobylCow

People read bad comics.

Posted by RedOwl_1

@TheMess1428 said:

Dude.............. Can DC publish this as the new cartoony comic that they also put out like Tiny Titans? :)

Yay that will be funny :D, and I love Tiny Titans

Posted by Grim

@SC said:

Wait, wait, so people get frustrated, angry, upset, complain (or possibly just pointing out/expressing opinions) at people voicing their their opinions that are critical of anything ever... ?? Then its don't like it, don't buy it? Is that the new Marvel and DC advertising slogan? You know, on account of like comics losing all its fans recently? Since you know, they didn't like it and so didn't buy it and the ones trying to look for solutions? Well eff of and go to other mediums? Nyeh, not about personally liking or personally disliking the issue, but when did the ability to critically think die in a terrible fiery burning accident?

sometimes people get too heated. On both sides. Sometimes people are ranting about how this book is the absolute worse thing because (as an example) starfire is having sex and not caring. Some people look at a comment saying "meh, i just dont like it" and tell that commenter to go jump in a river and die. Its not a universal thing. Its just some people and some people. Dont consider it blanket. The negative people are always the loudest.

Posted by SC
@Grim said:

@SC said:

Wait, wait, so people get frustrated, angry, upset, complain (or possibly just pointing out/expressing opinions) at people voicing their their opinions that are critical of anything ever... ?? Then its don't like it, don't buy it? Is that the new Marvel and DC advertising slogan? You know, on account of like comics losing all its fans recently? Since you know, they didn't like it and so didn't buy it and the ones trying to look for solutions? Well eff of and go to other mediums? Nyeh, not about personally liking or personally disliking the issue, but when did the ability to critically think die in a terrible fiery burning accident?

sometimes people get too heated. On both sides. Sometimes people are ranting about how this book is the absolute worse thing because (as an example) starfire is having sex and not caring. Some people look at a comment saying "meh, i just dont like it" and tell that commenter to go jump in a river and die. Its not a universal thing. Its just some people and some people. Dont consider it blanket. The negative people are always the loudest.

 
I know, I hate blankets, its just so much more fun and satisfying to address and or understand the points everyone makes, and since thats how I understand things everyone should agree with me!!  
 
lol (thats me being silly) I don't actually even think there are both sides. Just a lot of different sides. I always find it odd people just resort to the the "other side" is complaining or throwing a big ruckus. Its just like the oldest thing ever and applies to everything. Always the other side, other person. The other fans. Its never because opposition breeds opposition. (exaggeration on always and never)
Moderator
  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2