Comic Vine News

17 Comments

Read Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist #1 Here for Free

The first two issues are on sale and here's your chance to read the first if you haven't already.

Many know who Flash Gordon is. With the character seeing a recent revival, Dynamite Entertainment is offering the chance for everyone to read the first issue. The first issue was great and sets the stage for Flash Gordon. Keeping it in the original time period rather than trying to update it was the right move. If you don't believe me, check it out for yourself.

FLASH GORDON: ZEITGEIST #1

32 pages FC • Full issue introductory price $1.00 • Teen +

Written by ERIC TRAUTMANN

Plot and Art Direction by ALEX ROSS

Art by DANIEL INDRO

Covers by ALEX ROSS (75%), PAUL RENAUD (25%), FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA (1-in-10), WAGNER REIS (1-in-25)

“Negative Effect Art” Retailer Incentive cover by ALEX ROSS

“Retro Original Art” Retailer Incentive cover by FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

“Black & White” Retailer Incentive cover by PAUL RENAUD

“Sketch Art” Retailer Incentive cover by ALEX ROSS

The year is 1934, a time of two-fisted swashbuckling, of fearsome threats and wild adventure—and of ever-growing threats on the horizon.

Three valiant humans -- Flash Gordon, Dale Arden and Dr. Hans Zarkov -- are plucked from the Earth, traveling to the distant planet Mongo. Their exploits are legendary, battling the machinations and terror schemes of the dreaded emperor Ming, the All-Seeing Ruler of Mongo. But they did not fight alone…

Written by Eric Trautmann (Vampirella, Red Sonja), from a story and designs by Alex Ross (Kingdom Come, Marvels, Project Superpowers), and illustrated by Daniel Lindro (Sherlock Holmes: Year One).

17 Comments
Posted by Inverno

Thank you for posting this! You don't know of how much a love Flash Gordon !!

Posted by Primmaster64

Hell yeah

Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus

Johann Schmitt? Wow...anyone pick up on that? Still, this was great! Sooo loving this series thus far from what I read here!

Posted by PowerHerc

Woooo Hoooooo!

Flash Gordon (looking the way he way he should) is back!

Posted by mattiebatslayer

I picked this up for $1.00 a while ago and loved it! #2 was even better, in my opinion.

Posted by eric_trautmann

Glad you guys enjoyed it. :)

I had actually found some old records of military service in Germany in that rough locale/time period, which is where I pulled Johann's name from, actually—he's an amalgam of a few names of actual soldiers. And I ADORE writing Willi and Johann. They were just too much fun.

-E

Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus

@eric_trautmann said:

Glad you guys enjoyed it. :)

I had actually found some old records of military service in Germany in that rough locale/time period, which is where I pulled Johann's name from, actually—he's an amalgam of a few names of actual soldiers. And I ADORE writing Willi and Johann. They were just too much fun.

-E

That's wonderful! It just caught my eye especially because it sounds like Red Skull's real alias, Johann Schmidt. I'm a big time fan of the World Wars though so you're so right with those names being common for soldiers of Imperial and Weimar Era Germany. I tip my hat and bow to you sir for your awesomeness!

Posted by AlKusanagi

I read the title too fast and now I'm sad because of the awesome potential "Flash Gordon: Zangief" has.

And isn't Johann Schmidt just the German equivalent of "John Smith?"

Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir

@AlKusanagi said:

I read the title too fast and now I'm sad because of the awesome potential "Flash Gordon: Zangief" has.

And isn't Johann Schmidt just the German equivalent of "John Smith?"

Yes, it is.

Edited by TheWitchingHour

This looks awesome!!! But I always thought Flash Gordon played football...wtf is up with this polo bull?

Edited by Herx

awsum. just awsum. i place my compliments first as what I'm about to do next will surly annoy or excite everyone, but it must be done.

Or to be more accurate for this new flash gordon series

All Hail Ming!

:P

Posted by The Impersonator

OMG! IT'S FLESH GORDON! =P

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous

Cant go wrong with free comics, good times.

Online
Posted by eric_trautmann

@TheWitchingHour: The original description of Flash in his debut was the Yale grad/"world renowned polo player" stuff. The football player motif was a conceit of the 1980 film with Sam Jones, presumably to modernize the character for that time. But, since we set the story in the same month and year of the character's original appearance, it felt right to use the original origin. That caption is exactly as the character's creator, Alex Raymond, wrote it.

-E

Posted by shawn87

I've been following this series. Loved the first 2 issues. Looking forward to the third issue. 

Posted by TheWitchingHour

@eric_trautmann said:

@TheWitchingHour: The original description of Flash in his debut was the Yale grad/"world renowned polo player" stuff. The football player motif was a conceit of the 1980 film with Sam Jones, presumably to modernize the character for that time. But, since we set the story in the same month and year of the character's original appearance, it felt right to use the original origin. That caption is exactly as the character's creator, Alex Raymond, wrote it.

-E

Well I may be sorely lacking in taste for preferring a football playing Flash to a polo playing one, but besides that I love issue #1. It flows really well, great art and a lot of fun. Great job!

Posted by BrendanDeneen

If you love Flash Gordon comics, check out FLASH GORDON: THE MERCY WARS and FLASH GORDON: THE SECRET HISTORY OF MONGO (which explores the backstories of a host of FG characters, including Ming!). Our next story arc launches in about a month, entitled THE VENGEANCE OF MING! Check out issue #0 and #1 of THE MERCY WARS #1 for FREE here: www.Ardden-Entertainment.com We've been publishing Flash Gordon comics since 2008 and have received rave reviews from Publishers Weekly, Ain't It Cool News and more! Thanks!