Comic Vine News

83 Comments

Off My Mind: What Exactly Is Batman, Inc About?

Why does Batman feel the need to start a franchise now?

 Batman & Mr. Unknown, the Batman of Japan
We all know that a new comic is coming out next month called Batman, Inc. When Bruce Wayne finally returns from his journey through time, he's not going to take time off for a vacation. He's going to start up "Batman, Inc." This is said to mark the "next stage of evolution for the Dark Knight." We know that this new "team" will include Batman, Dick Grayson, Knight and Squire, El Gaucho and eight others. 
 
I absolutely trust Grant Morrison's writing but I have to wonder what is Bruce thinking? He's usually a loner, besides hanging with Robin (will Damian be included in this "team" since he's going to be hanging with the Teen Titans?). Batman's Outsiders team never really seemed to work out for him and we know what happened before with the Justice League.  
 
Why does Batman want to make a franchise out of himself now? 
 == TEASER == 
Perhaps his recent adventures through time have changed him a bit. Maybe now he's seeing things in a different way. I hope and would imagine he's still the same motivated and determined Batman. He could be looking at a bigger picture now. Over the summer I wrote about whether or not Batman could ever end crime in Gotham City. He could be looking at how to attack crime all over the world. We've seen the Batmen of All Nations before but they weren't really guided by Batman. Batman, Inc could be his way to have more of a say in their training and methods. 
 
Does the world need more than one Batman? We know Gotham will potentially have both Bruce and Dick (unless Bruce will be running all over the world meeting with all these other Batmen). It's going to be weird having Bruce back and jumping right into forming this team. Of course we'll have other Bat-titles where he won't necessarily be working with these other bat-dudes but don't you think "Batman, Inc" is a little egotistical? I suppose he has the right to name the team after him since he is so cool.
83 Comments
  • 83 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by countvontrey

I have a hard time seeing where it is going myself. I keep thinking of the X-Corporation from X-Men.  
 
I anticipate having to thin out their numbers eventually. Maybe having a huge Batman Inc crossover and killing them all off? It'd be like M Day. Just with Batmen. B Day...

Posted by johnny_spam

I think it is a misconception to call Batman a loner who only works alone because he teams up with many people trusts many and any time he is shown only alone he is in a bad place because no one else is there.  
 
So I can see him making something like Batman, Inc. when you live through the stuff he has then it changes your prospective on things.

Posted by EnSabahNurX

I think bruce's time travel adventure made him realize the world needs more than one batman i guess, idk not really happy about multiple batman, but i'll wait and see what happens and hold my judgement.  

Posted by Jslab425

It will not be a traditional super-hero team.
 
Its based on the concept of "the Batmen of Many Nations" and will probably be something like Bruce establishing a representative network of Batmen in different countries who will at times work together and at times independently.

Posted by Silkcuts
@johnny spam said:
" I think it is a misconception to call Batman a loner who only works alone because he teams up with many people trusts many and any time he is shown only alone he is in a bad place because no one else is there.   So I can see him making something like Batman, Inc. when you live through the stuff he has then it changes your prospective on things. "
I like what your thinking in this one.  Batman has a bad rep.  He does like people, he just isn't always on the same page.  
 
I like to think that Batman Inc helps the mythos of Batman because Batman to me is more a symbol.  This is why I did not mind, actually I've been enjoying Dick as Batman.  Bruce Wayne is Batman, sure.  But Would Bruce actually say "When I die, Batman dies?"... I don't think so.  Batman is Gotham's protector, and needs to outlive Bruce.  Having Batman Inc is just the next level and I absolutely trust and adore Grants writing that I am just sitting back for the ride.
Posted by Bruce Vain

Mr.Unknown looks like a cross between  Kung Lao, Kato and Zorro.
Posted by tonis

considering how many titles there are with his name it almost makes sense. It takes practically an army of Batmen to cover all those pages. 
 
It does seem to dilute the coolness of Batmen down even more though, he's going to hit a 'character' wall soon if the over saturation continues.
Posted by countvontrey
@tonis said:
" considering how many titles there are with his name it almost makes sense. It takes practically an army of Batmen to cover all those pages.  It does seem to dilute the coolness of Batmen down even more though, he's going to hit a 'character' wall soon if the over saturation continues. "
That's what I'm talking about. This is a neat idea and all, but sooner or later we will have to streamline it all again.
Posted by tonis
@countvontrey said:
" @tonis said:
" considering how many titles there are with his name it almost makes sense. It takes practically an army of Batmen to cover all those pages.  It does seem to dilute the coolness of Batmen down even more though, he's going to hit a 'character' wall soon if the over saturation continues. "
That's what I'm talking about. This is a neat idea and all, but sooner or later we will have to streamline it all again. "

If DC has thier way, they will bleed Batman to death first. 
Oh wait, they just did that :)
Posted by G-Man
@Jslab425: But we've just recently seen the Batmen of All Nations during the Black Glove story. Why create another team of Batmen when there already is one? The only thing I can figure is he wants a fresh start and to tell them how he wants things to be.
Staff
Posted by imaginaryman

I think this will be a good book, since its what I've been wanting for a while now(not exactly multiple batmen), I wanted to see a group of vigilante's trying to take on crime and sweeping them up if possible

Edited by countvontrey
@tonis said:

" @countvontrey said:

" @tonis said:
" considering how many titles there are with his name it almost makes sense. It takes practically an army of Batmen to cover all those pages.  It does seem to dilute the coolness of Batmen down even more though, he's going to hit a 'character' wall soon if the over saturation continues. "
That's what I'm talking about. This is a neat idea and all, but sooner or later we will have to streamline it all again. "
If DC has thier way, they will bleed Batman to death first. Oh wait, they just did that :) "
Much like Marvel and Deadpool. Soon we will see a Deadpool Army. Oh wait.....
Edited by johnny_spam
@tonis:  @tonis said:

" @countvontrey said:

" @tonis said:
" considering how many titles there are with his name it almost makes sense. It takes practically an army of Batmen to cover all those pages.  It does seem to dilute the coolness of Batmen down even more though, he's going to hit a 'character' wall soon if the over saturation continues. "
That's what I'm talking about. This is a neat idea and all, but sooner or later we will have to streamline it all again. "
If DC has thier way, they will bleed Batman to death first. Oh wait, they just did that :) "
When people buy the books then it is not bleeding to death there are only so many Batman books because people won't stop buying them. I do think the Gotham books and Batman Confidential should end.
Posted by tonis
@johnny spam said:
" @tonis:  @tonis said:
" @countvontrey said:
" @tonis said:
" considering how many titles there are with his name it almost makes sense. It takes practically an army of Batmen to cover all those pages.  It does seem to dilute the coolness of Batmen down even more though, he's going to hit a 'character' wall soon if the over saturation continues. "
That's what I'm talking about. This is a neat idea and all, but sooner or later we will have to streamline it all again. "
If DC has thier way, they will bleed Batman to death first. Oh wait, they just did that :) "
When people buy the books then it is not bleeding to death there are only so many Batman books because people won't stop buying them. I do think the Gotham books and Batman Confidential should end. "

You are right, it's not considered bleeding if they're selling. The problem comes in that they don't realize when it's too much until it stops moving and they are left wondering which arms to chop off first.
Posted by thiagofonseca

Doesn't "incorporation" mean the same as "embodiment"? That seems to be the plan. The idea of Batman, embodied/incorporated in several people (Bruce, Dick, Knight, etc.).
 
I guess that's why they have changed from "Inc." to "Incorporated" then back to "Inc." - it was never meant to be "Incoporated", but they were affraid people wouldn't notice it in the word "Inc." (which is basically pronounced "Ink").

Posted by SupremoMaximo

Is it going to be one big story arc or stories with a single Batman in their respective local, jumping back and forth between characters for different issues? 

Posted by speedlgt

it doesnt make much sense to me honestly batman already has a team. 
 
Dick Tim Damien and spolier batwoman are his Team is about 6 strong and i dont see why he needs abother. Hell superman is always on his side anyway so why would he need 8 more non powered batmen wanna bes around the globe?
Posted by johnny_spam
@SupremoMaximo: @SupremoMaximo said:
" Is it going to be one big story arc or stories with a single Batman in their respective local, jumping back and forth between characters for different issues?  "
Grant Morrison has said it is his homage to Batman Brave and the Bold so it will focus on team ups though DC hinted on their blog it has big events that lead up until 2012.
Posted by Brickabrack

Does the world need more than one Batman? Absolutely not. The concept is not something I enjoy and every time I think it can't get any worse, I'm proved wrong.
Posted by N7_Normandy

Heh, not particularly feeling nor understanding, given who Batman is, this concept

Posted by The Mighty Monarch
@SupremoMaximo said:
" Is it going to be one big story arc or stories with a single Batman in their respective local, jumping back and forth between characters for different issues?  "
Grant Morrison said the first year was going to be made up of a few 1, 2, and 3 issue arcs with Bruce and another member, then finish up with one big year long arc.
Posted by EisforExtinction

Morrison was talking about Batman R.I.P. being the breaking of Bruce and having Batman act on it's own. Batman Inc. is having a more dominate Bruce and I think that's awesome.

Posted by Decept-O

I'm a bit thrown by the title, "Batman, Inc."  If anyone previously had suspicions Bruce Wayne was Batman, wouldn't that be an indicator their suspicions were valid?   
 
The concept sounds unique.  I'm thinking about it and I don't know, doesn't sound like that bad of an idea.  If there will be more than one Batman in the U.S.A. why not build on the myth globally? 
Posted by fedspaz

I have to go with... drop the Batmen... batman is best as a loner.  Batman, Inc.  I think I can do without.

Posted by Xangel

hopefully this will be the book where people realize GM is not as good as says he is

Posted by CosmicSpiral

Let's be thankful that Grant Morrison is actually interested in changing the Batman universe instead of perpetually repeating the same boring old themes that have been in effect since the 90's. At least one facet of the DC universe isn't in perpetual stasis. 

Posted by DEGRAAF

Batman works well with other if he is the commander and chief. I dont think he works so great in big groups like JLA bc there are to many people that can oppose him and have their own ways already set.  
 
He works well with Superman because Superman gives his input but ultimately it seems like Batman trust Superman fully to accomplish what needs accomplishing. If you cant count on Superman who can you count on.  
 
He works well with the robins, and Oracle becuase they all do as he says. Once he starts to lose control of a team or doesnt have the deciding say at all times he seems to try to isolate him self and become a loner again. 
 
With this new team, he will be telling them what to do and how to do it. This is why this new team will work. I've heard that when he returns to the present that is supposed to create a cataclismic event or something. I wonder if he will accidently teach some crazy person that will try to take over the world with the knowledge, finesse and thinking strategy of Batman. Or it could go the other way, Bruce Wayne (as Batman) could pull a Matt Murdock (Dare Devil) move and create a version of the league of assassins to straighten up Gotham with an Iron fist. 
  
Actually i would like to see Jason try to do that last one. Stay in the shadows but control something like the League of Assassins or something to control Gotham
Posted by GraveSp

Bruce would probably want to start Batman Inc after what happened in Battle for the Cowl.  Batman dies and the city goes to hell, if there were more then one Batman that wouldn't have happened.

Posted by Gunslinger6

This looks like a very bad idea, you're right about Batman being a loner.

Posted by skaarason

anything gm does with batman is gold !!!

Posted by Mainline

I can see rationales on either side why Bruce would want to partner/affiliate or not... but I'm confused about the use of "Incorporated". 
 
Incorporation is a legal entity status. 
 
World wide only actually incorporated entities are allowed to put "Inc" in their names and, in fact, often are required to.  It exists only with a filing with the state (or, in rare circumstances, where there was a good faith attempt at filing and the company held themselves out as an incorporated entity and the other party had reason to believe it- which is impossible with masked, anonymous vigilantes) acknowledging your existence and has only one universal purpose... to limit liability.  It isn't to make profit (there are non-profit incorporations and there are other entity structures that are for-profit) or create something durable or to form affiliations, etc. all of those can be accomplished by other- and better- means (in fact, a sophisticated new venture would probably opt for a LLC nowadays... allowing you to custom craft every aspect of your affiliation and liability by contract... falling back on incorporation means you want a body of pre-existing law to take away control of certain ways things function, falling back on precedented defaults... a little like cooking strictly from a recipe book rather than seasoning to taste). 
 
So does Bruce intend to reveal his identity to the state for the purposes of incorporation?  Does Bruce want to limit his personal liability and make the corporation solely liable for its actions through incorporation?  Is Bruce too lazy or insufficiently motivated to hire either legal counsel or corporate structure experts to craft him the ideal LLC and instead is going the easy-in-the-short-term route of incorporation? 
 
I think the answer to all three is an obvious, "No." 
 
It seems that "Incorporation" here is just being plain misused and preying on public misunderstanding of the word and its use... it likely just means a loose sort of affiliation of some sort and perhaps a profit motive is implied.  I wonder if that's okay. 
 
I don't expect writers to be experts in everything and generally only expect highschool level competency (in physics, pop psychology, historical accuracy, etc.) but maybe I should expect more because they certainly aren't written by high school students and not written for high school students per se.  Grant Morrison is definitely one to research compared to many writers (look at Great Ten)... so I've come to expect a certain level of sophistication from him.  We live in a corporate world.  It may not be taught in high school but I kind of expect a certain level of understanding of what incorporation means when it is so pervasive.  And when it's emblazoned on the cover, the title, and the theme I expect a little more  wherewithal 
 
When it's pretty safe to say it won't be an accurate portrayal of a corporation and yet corporations permeate everyday living it seems really odd to perpetuate an inaccurate usage or perception of something... I can't really think of a spot-on analogy (because the things I do want to use, we aren't as pitifully ignorant about as a society) but it might be like titling a book "Cold Temperatures Causes The Common Cold" then filled with stuff meeting that popular urban myth (not accounting for increased indoor contact, etc).  So the question is... what is Morrison trying to invoke by using "Inc" in the title?

Posted by Proverb
@CosmicSpiral said:
" Let's be thankful that Grant Morrison is actually interested in changing the Batman universe instead of perpetually repeating the same boring old themes that have been in effect since the 90's. At least one facet of the DC universe isn't in perpetual stasis.  "
This. If nothing else, it's liberating to see more of the DCU outside North America.
 
Also, as far as I can tell I don't think any of them are actually going to be "Batman." From what Morrison has said it sounds as if they're going to be the same heroes they've always been (assuming they're pre-existing like El Gaucho) just under Batman's banner. In essence, turning the "Batfamily" into the "Batfamily Business." Which, honestly, makes more sense than any of the twenty years preceeding Morrison's run ever made.
 
The guy has had Robins, Batgirls, Batwomen, Bat-Hounds, Azraels, Oracles, Nightwings, Outsiders, and has worked with -if not been a member- of most of the superteams in the DCU. Exactly how much of a loner is this guy supposed to be again?
Posted by mouradb101

This topic reminds me of a particular bit of dialogue in Outsiders 15, after Batman "died" during Final Crisis. When talking about why the Outsiders was assembled, Alfred said "Batman understood there was no use in saving one city from the abyss. He believed that a world-view is necessary." I feel like this new development of Batman, Inc. is a natural storytelling progression of that concept. I'm a huge Batman fan, but I always wondered why one man with all his contacts and resources would devote everything to just ONE city, no matter how important Gotham is to him. It just seems kind of pointless trying to save one city if the rest of the world goes to hell.

Posted by DMC

From what I've read it looks like Batman Inc is about training new members for the Club of Heroes. I believe most of them were killed by the Black Glove.

Posted by FLStyle

Batman Inc to me is the natural evolution of Batman, if he can't do it alone and can't do it with a bunch of people who aren't like-minded like the JLA then start up a group who is like-minded, like Batman Inc. I certainly approve.

Edited by Mr_Wayne69

(I've made a list on this site for potential members of Batman, Inc.) 
 
You answered your own question. Batman, Inc. (from what we know) will be a franchise created by Bruce Wayne to combat crime on a global scale. He'll use his vast wealth and knowledge to either train or assist new (and possibly) old allies in this global war on crime. Think about it this way: before the Black Glove came along Batman eradicated super-crime in Gotham. The man has evolved well beyond protecting one city. My question is: why wouldn't a billionaire put his vast wealth into making his cause global? 
 
The thing that I think turns people off to the idea is the thought of Batmen. Looking at Mr. Unknown and the Batmen of All Nations should let you know that it'll be a lot more complex than a simple "guy dresses up as Batman in his own nation/environment" etc. These are individuals that are inspired by Batman, so they'll more than likely have their own look and theme (i e. Mr. Unknown). Those that may not necessarily be inspired by Batman will probably just get funding and equipment (like the rest of Inc.). Think of it as Bruce's own version of SHIELD.  
 
Bruce Wayne has evolved as a character yet again. How backwards would it have been for him to simply come back and fight crime in Gotham only after everything he's been through?

Edited by CosmicSpiral
@Mainline said:

" I can see rationales on either side why Bruce would want to partner/affiliate or not... but I'm confused about the use of "Incorporated". 
 
Incorporation is a legal entity status. 
 
World wide only actually incorporated entities are allowed to put "Inc" in their names and, in fact, often are required to.  It exists only with a filing with the state (or, in rare circumstances, where there was a good faith attempt at filing and the company held themselves out as an incorporated entity and the other party had reason to believe it- which is impossible with masked, anonymous vigilantes) acknowledging your existence and has only one universal purpose... to limit liability.  It isn't to make profit (there are non-profit incorporations and there are other entity structures that are for-profit) or create something durable or to form affiliations, etc. all of those can be accomplished by other- and better- means (in fact, a sophisticated new venture would probably opt for a LLC nowadays... allowing you to custom craft every aspect of your affiliation and liability by contract... falling back on incorporation means you want a body of pre-existing law to take away control of certain ways things function, falling back on precedented defaults... a little like cooking strictly from a recipe book rather than seasoning to taste). 
 
So does Bruce intend to reveal his identity to the state for the purposes of incorporation?  Does Bruce want to limit his personal liability and make the corporation solely liable for its actions through incorporation?  Is Bruce too lazy or insufficiently motivated to hire either legal counsel or corporate structure experts to craft him the ideal LLC and instead is going the easy-in-the-short-term route of incorporation? 
 
I think the answer to all three is an obvious, "No." 
 
It seems that "Incorporation" here is just being plain misused and preying on public misunderstanding of the word and its use... it likely just means a loose sort of affiliation of some sort and perhaps a profit motive is implied.  I wonder if that's okay. 
 
I don't expect writers to be experts in everything and generally only expect highschool level competency (in physics, pop psychology, historical accuracy, etc.) but maybe I should expect more because they certainly aren't written by high school students and not written for high school students per se.  Grant Morrison is definitely one to research compared to many writers (look at Great Ten)... so I've come to expect a certain level of sophistication from him.  We live in a corporate world.  It may not be taught in high school but I kind of expect a certain level of understanding of what incorporation means when it is so pervasive.  And when it's emblazoned on the cover, the title, and the theme I expect a little more  wherewithal 
 
When it's pretty safe to say it won't be an accurate portrayal of a corporation and yet corporations permeate everyday living it seems really odd to perpetuate an inaccurate usage or perception of something... I can't really think of a spot-on analogy (because the things I do want to use, we aren't as pitifully ignorant about as a society) but it might be like titling a book "Cold Temperatures Causes The Common Cold" then filled with stuff meeting that popular urban myth (not accounting for increased indoor contact, etc).  So the question is... what is Morrison trying to invoke by using "Inc" in the title? "

Wow, you must be popular at parties.  
Posted by CrimsonTempest

I don't want to rain on Batman's parade, but he explicitly is doing the same maneuver that John Raymond did when he was into super-heroics. While Web has his Web-Hosts, Batman has Batman, Inc. There has to be some kind of mentioning regarding these similarities.
Posted by rentfn

Cash Money Baby!

Posted by Gylan Thomas

I just hope now that Bob Harris is DC's new EIC it wont be too long before we have just one Batman involved in frighting crime. Not at least two gettin' up to alsort of shenanigans through time ansd sillyness.

Posted by CrimsonTempest
@Gylan Thomas:
I wouldn't be too quick to rely on Harras (correct spelling BTW) to add some insight into Batman, Inc. If anything, he'll end up destroying the good of this concept.
Posted by Dr. Maxwell
@DEGRAAF:  Chances are Jason will be making an appearance, if you look back ot his arc in Batman and Robin, he was talking about the theme of Batman being a brand, thus planting the seed for Batman Inc a year before the issue would come out, and months before it would even be announced of Bruce's Return
 
I'm all about this idea, sure I'm a Morrison fan boy, but for good reason, I'm not going to go into that now, but to me what Morrison is doing with the character makes sense, chances are we shall see some of the characters from the Batmen of Many Nations ( I know for a fact we'll see a few of them,) but some of them are pretty interesting and would like too see more done with them.
Posted by Jordanstine
@Jslab425 said:
"It will not be a traditional super-hero team.  Its based on the concept of "the Batmen of Many Nations" and will probably be something like Bruce establishing a representative network of Batmen in different countries who will at times work together and at times independently. "

Sounds like the Avenger's 50 State Initiative.
 
Anyway, I would LOVE to see the Batmen vs the X-Men.   
 
Posted by AirDave817

Who does Bruce Wayne thing he is? Walt Disney? Stan Lee?

Edited by Jordanstine

You know... we may actually see a "Batman" fall (as in die) in a storyline! 
 
Gasp!   
 
That will make this more anticipated, because you won't know which one it would be! 
 
It will make this notion of Batman being "invincible", especially when he goes against Justice Leage super powered villains, actually not so true. 
 
*** List of Most Unbelievable Batman Survival Stories *** 
 
It's just Bruce Wayne would still be considered "invincible" though.

Posted by TheMess1428

I just can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Posted by Doctor!!!!!

There are to many Baties... 
Just Sayin'.
Posted by ReverseNegative
@countvontrey said:
"I have a hard time seeing where it is going myself. I keep thinking of the X-Corporation from X-Men.   I anticipate having to thin out their numbers eventually. Maybe having a huge Batman Inc crossover and killing them all off? It'd be like M Day. Just with Batmen. B Day... "

Isn't B Day a birthday?
Posted by Dr. Detfink

Bruce always had a vulgar panache'. 
 
So wait, we have how many Earth Green Lanterns, number of Flash, and even Kryptonians but we can't have more than one Batman fighting crime?
 
Want the alternative? Wolverine is on 12 different books and three teams...THAT'S ridiculous.

Posted by Rorschach's Soliloquy

Why Damian? I mean really, who likes the brat? Can he just... leave? Please?

  • 83 results
  • 1
  • 2