Comic Vine News

86 Comments

New 'Dredd' Movie Stills Show Off Suits, Splatter, and No Smiles

Get a closer look at Judge Dredd on the set of the upcoming film adaptation.

Are you ready for some Dredd? So far we haven't seen a whole lot of information about the upcoming Judge Dredd film titled simply Dredd save for a very basic synopsis and some tidbits of information here and there; until now. Recently some images of actors Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby were taken and leaked online -- and they look pretty cool.

The images of the actors in full costume give us our first look at the costume design, which is a more modern, grittier version than what we saw in the original Judge Dredd film starring Sylvester Stallone back in 1995. With a budget of 45 million, the film is currently in its post-production stage with a release date set for September 21st, 2012. Dredd is being developed by British film companies DNA Films, IM Global and Reliance and will be distributed in the United States by Lionsgate.

The film will star Karl Urban as Judge Dredd in a violent, Dystopian future where law enforcement acts as "judge, jury and executioner." Dredd's main goal? To infiltrate and eradicate a gang that deals a "reality-altering" drug called SLO-MO. JUDGE DREDD is currently published by 2000AD.

Check out images from the set of the film below! Be warned that some of the images may be considered graphic.

== TEASER ==

Source: 2000AD

86 Comments
  • 86 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by inferiorego

That's one bulky helmet.

Staff
Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy

Holy crap. Dredd looks f*cking awesome.

Posted by danhimself

man that helmet is huge

Posted by ReVamp

Helmet is horrible.

Posted by LordRequiem

That helmet looks ridiculous, and if the original is anything to go by I doubt this iteration will be up to much.

Posted by sinful

ugh the helmet...

Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy

I think it looks pretty awesome. Yes, it's a pretty big helmet. But overall it looks pretty badass

Posted by emerald_dawn

So can that helmet kill this movie? Yes I think it can.

Edited by Jonny_Anonymous
@LordRequiem said:

That helmet looks ridiculous, and if the original is anything to go by I doubt this iteration will be up to much.

That film will have no bareing on this what so ever. 
 
I can't wait for this. Since it's British made I hope they stay true to 2000AD
Posted by The Poet

cool...

Moderator
Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy

@emerald_dawn said:

So can that helmet kill this movie? Yes I think it can.

Just like how Bane's crappy mask in DKR could kill that movie?

Posted by damswedon

That looks good. They are going for a modern and more realistic take on Dredd, and that is what it looks like.

Edited by NightFang

For f**k sake! The helmet has too be bulky because Dread rides around in a flying motorcycle.

Posted by BlackArmor

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

Holy crap. Dredd looks f*cking awesome.

Online
Posted by The Impersonator

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

Holy crap. Dredd looks f*cking awesome.

Online
Posted by suikoden352

that helmet is ridiculously bulky. it swallows the guy's head pretty much.

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous

Yea, seriously if this film doesn't do well I will actually hunt down every one on this Vine that didn't go and see it and kick there ass. Dredd is the ONLY British character that is remotely successfully and he has to do well or there wont be another.

Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy

@spiderbat87 said:

Yea, seriously if this film doesn't do well I will actually hunt down every one on this Vine that didn't go and see it and kick there ass. Dredd is the ONLY British character that is remotely successfully and he has to do well or there wont be another.

Well said, my friend.

Posted by buzz_clik

I would love a film where Dredd never removes his helmet, or if he does they shoot it in a way that you never see his face properly. Sure, it's not glamourous, but hot damn I'd admire that kind of commitment to the comic and the project.

This definitely looks more promising than the first movie incarnation of Dredd, and I'm more keen to see it than I thought I'd be, but I'm not counting my Umpty before it's unwrapped.

@NightFang said:

For f**k sake the helmet has be bulky because Dread rides around in a flying motorcycle.

Well, sorta. That's current-day thinking, but in the future I'd like to imagine there's some high tech material that's lighter, thinner and stronger than what we've got today.

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous
@buzz_clik: They told Urban before he was cast that he would not be talking the helmet off on camera and he said he wouldn't have it any other way.
Posted by TheGoldenOne
@ReVamp said:

Helmet is horrible.

Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy

@spiderbat87 said:

@buzz_clik: They told Urban before he was cast that he would not be talking the helmet off on camera and he said he wouldn't have it any other way.

Urban is indeed a known badass.

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous
@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@buzz_clik: They told Urban before he was cast that he would not be talking the helmet off on camera and he said he wouldn't have it any other way.

Urban is indeed a known badass.

true
Posted by ImperiousRix

Looks pretty darn cool thus far. Dredd looks as close as a direct representation as I think they could get.

What troubles me is every other person commenting on how "huge" it is. First of all... it is a helmet. Not a hat. It's supposed to have some bulk to it or else, what's the point?

Secondly, has anyone SEEN what Dredd's helmet looks like in the comics? Seems fairly accurate to me. I'd be more concerned if Dredd wasn't wearing a helmet at all.

Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus

Humina, humina, humina, humina! Amazing. I sooo am gonna see this movie.

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous
@ImperiousRix said:

Looks pretty darn cool thus far. Dredd looks as close as a direct representation as I think they could get.

What troubles me is every other person commenting on how "huge" it is. First of all... it is a helmet. Not a hat. It's supposed to have some bulk to it or else, what's the point?

Secondly, has anyone SEEN what Dredd's helmet looks like in the comics? Seems fairly accurate to me. I'd be more concerned if Dredd wasn't wearing a helmet at all.

Exactly take a look at last weeks issue of 2000AD:
Issue 1768 
Posted by Red Rum

My favorite part of the Dredd Mythos is the Judges' technology they use for law-enforcement. Particularly the spray-able rubber foam used to contain rioters en masse.

Posted by katanalauncher

I AM TEH LAWL!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by KainScion

nobody gonna beat stallone. the new guy looks kinda short. maybe thats why they made the helmet so big, compensating.

Posted by Herx

The 1995 film was a stalone film. You watched it to see stalone.

This is a dredd Film. You watch it to see dredd.

cant wait.

Posted by CaptainCockblock

What's hilarious is that Judge Dredd in the comics was, among other things, a parody of the kind of movie it was adapted into. If they can get it even an iota closer to the source material this time, it might actually be worth watching.

And NO taking off the helmet!

Edited by buzz_clik

@spiderbat87: You just made my goddamn day with this information. VERY COOL, MR URBAN.

To be totally honest, I didn't know they were making a Dredd movie until a few days ago; I've really fallen off the 2000 AD fanboy cart, haven't I? But all this has reminded me that I don't have an avatar on CV, so I'mma plug in my Super Deformed Strontium Dog and fly my 2000 AD flag!

Edited by NightFang

@buzz_clik said:

@NightFang said:

For f**k sake the helmet has be bulky because Dread rides around in a flying motorcycle.

Well, sorta. That's current-day thinking, but in the future I'd like to imagine there's some high tech material that's lighter, thinner and stronger than what we've got today.

Yeah, but Dread lives in a post-apocalyptic future were the police are literally judge, jury and executioners.

Edited by buzz_clik

@NightFang said:

Yeah, but Dread lives in a post-apocalyptic future were the police are literally judge, jury and executioners.

Yep, but it's also a future where sentient robots are trucking around, and dudes ride flying surfboards. I'm pretty sure their tech's up to snuff.

Posted by NightFang

@buzz_clik said:

@NightFang said:

Yeah, but Dread lives in a post-apocalyptic future were the police are literally judge, jury and executioners.

Yep, but it's also a future where sentient robots are trucking around, and dudes ride flying surfboards. I'm pretty sure their tech's up to snuff.

But not enough to prepare the Cursed Earth.

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous
@buzz_clik said:

@spiderbat87: You just made my goddamn day with this information. VERY COOL, MR URBAN.

To be totally honest, I didn't know they were making a Dredd movie until a few days ago; I've really fallen off the 2000 AD fanboy cart, haven't I? But all this has reminded me that I don't have an avatar on CV, so I'mma plug in my Super Deformed Strontium Dog and fly my 2000 AD flag!

Yea I'm going to have to start reping as well
Posted by jsphsmth

Thankfully Olivia Thirlby is not wearing the helmet. Yum.

Posted by frozenedge

The helmet is supposed to be bulky, its a helmet made to protect against possible injuries. I like how the second to first picture is a head shot lol. Can't wait for this movie to come out

Posted by Punisher007

Karl Urban is good at playing a badass.

Posted by Phaedrusgr

@emerald_dawn: You can trust helmets nowadays (Colossus - and now this... *sighs)

Posted by pikahyper

Wow that is one huge helmet, the whole outfit looks extremely bulky and inefficient.

Moderator Online
Posted by Deranged Midget

@Punisher007 said:

Karl Urban is good at playing a badass.

Karl Urban is a good actor overall.

Moderator
Posted by Namor1987

I remember this movie he was like "i'm judge, jury & executioner" I hope it turns out good but I wouldn't mind a Robocop reboot.

Posted by Inverno

I don't know what to say... I never read Judge Dredd comics before but I watched the so-bad-its-good-but-otherwise-forgettable Silvester Stallone's movie. This looks really good by the way.

Posted by alphamale73

I don't have a problem with the helmet, as long as he keeps it on.

Posted by pspin

This looks cool plus it has Karl Urban, who is awesome, so this should be good

Posted by Chibi-Iroh

That helmet could seriously lose a few pounds.

Edited by dvorak

All I needed to see was Dredd blowing a guys head off to know I need to see this. It might not have been Dredd, but my needs were delivered upon.

Posted by sesquipedalophobe

Olivia Thirlby can be my judge, jury and executioner any day.

Online
Posted by TurianAgent

Who the hell thought that helmet looked good? (talking about the production and the director)

  • 86 results
  • 1
  • 2