Comic Vine News

34 Comments

Frank Miller Says SIN CITY 2 Could Start Shooting Soon

And he teases a little about the plot.

The guns on her belt will probably pack live rounds, this time.

Thanks to his book, REBEL WITHOUT A CREW, and all the extensive behind-the-scenes featurettes on his movies’ DVDs, I’ve gotten some insight into Robert Rodriguez’s “Mariachi-style” production process. The guy’s made 11 flicks in the last ten years and, because he’s cut a most of the usual middle men out of the arrangement, I get the sense that his movies get made on the basis of when his interest and availability align - - instead of the other external factors the typically intrude, too. Thus, even though it’s been (yikes!) six years since SIN CITY’s release, I’ve had little doubt that long-discussed sequel would eventually get made - - and rather quickly - - whenever his calendar matched up with Frank Miller’s.

Miller did a video interview with MTV Geek at NYCC which would seem to confirm that alignment, finally. He’s been busy in the intervening years with THE SPIRIT, HOLY TERROR and the 300 companion piece, XERXES, of course, but he says that he and Rodriguez have been brainstorming in his studio lately. They could be shooting SIN CITY 2 as soon as next spring, actually...

== TEASER ==

What will it be about, though? Confirming the long-held assumptions, it’ll adapt A DAME TO KILL FOR and the short, JUST ANOTHER SATURDAY NIGHT (Dwight and Marv stories, respectively,) and then feature brand new portions starring Jessica Alba. That would certainly corroborate the earlier discussions of a sequel to THAT YELLOW BASTARD which would show Nancy Callahan taking revenge on the mob who took Hartigan away from her...

Then again, by Miller’s own admission, these ideas flux frequently, so that all could all certainly change. I figure A DAME TO KILL FOR is probably going to have be re-worked anyway because of Shellie's prominent role and Brittany Murphy's tragic passing. I highly doubt the character will be recast.

34 Comments
Posted by HumanNumber

Awesome.

Posted by NightFang

@HumanNumber said:

Awesome.

Posted by Pokeysteve

Is it safe to assume I'm the only one who really didn't like this movie? It's ok. Let me have it. I liked the music at least =D

Posted by Mr. Kamikaze

Thought they gave up on this a long time ago...I don't even care anymore. =/

Posted by DarthRob

So excited for this!

Posted by VaizD

I dunno if I'm going to be alone in this or not, but I'd dig seeing a The Dark Knight Returns movie in super stylized Miller movie fashion so hard. That's all I think of when I watch Sin City.

Posted by Knight Train

Will Clive Owen be back in it? I haven't read those stories but I hope they bring Clive Back

Posted by butters911

Im excited. I liked the first one even if Miller hasn't done a good comic in 20 years

Posted by quiksilver70777

Looking foward to Dark Knight: Boy Wonder. I been waiting for this for a long time. Its going to be epic!

Posted by feebadger

@VaizD said:

I dunno if I'm going to be alone in this or not, but I'd dig seeing a The Dark Knight Returns movie in super stylized Miller movie fashion so hard. That's all I think of when I watch Sin City.

AMEN!

Posted by KainScion

@Pokeysteve: not alone, man. not alone.

Edited by _Zombie_

Eh, I liked the first movie.. but Marv was one of my favorite parts about it, and they killed him off. So I'm not sure if I'm going to like the sequel as much. If they take Clive Owen out, the chance of me seeing it is going to go down the toilet. I'm going to wait for more details before I decide if I wanna see this though.

Posted by Clue_
@butters911 said:

Im excited. I liked the first one even if Miller hasn't done a good comic in 20 years

Not even.
Posted by Or35ti

Yes! Sin City is one of the movies that helped get me into movies in the first place so any news about the masterpiece's sequel is great.

Posted by MyraMyraMyra

Meh. Is the sequel really necessary, especially since it's already been quite a while since the first movie came out? I think Sin City the movie is one of the best film adaptations of a comic book ever made mostly because of its unique visual style. The main reason it claimed critical praisal was because it had such an interesting approach to adapting a graphic novel to the big screen. Isn't the possible sequel bound to unimpress the audience because the visual style no longer has the wow-factor it had when Sin City first came out (especially since Miller has already made that god-awful The Spirit movie, which also had very similar visuals)?

It's not like Frank Miller's writing is the best part of Sin City. I needn't to point out that his stories are over-the-top gritty revenge fantasies with very little actual substance, his characters are two-dimentional stereotypes, and his hard-boiled dialogue is unintentionally hilarious at best. The first Sin City movie was great because it utilized the campy potential of Frank Miller's writing to the maximum and turned the movie into a darkly funny, spot-on pastiche of noir detective stories, which isn't necessarily what Miller intended it to be. I think that a sequel would have the comedic effect of a joke you've already heard once. It's just not as funny the second time around.

I think Sin City was great, but I really don't think that it needs a sequel because I think it was as perfect of an adaptation as the series is ever going to get. Just because there's still more source material left to be adapted doesn't mean that it all has to be filmed.

Posted by fACEmelter88

Sin City was great but everybody died...I don't really see what the point of a sequel

Posted by Decept-O

It'd be interesting to see some type of approach to a "sequel" but I don't know, perhaps Sin City should just be left alone for what it is. Think I will watch it again tonight.

Posted by Billy Batson

I thought Sin City 2 was supposed to be released in 2012.
BB

Posted by Marterfarker

@MyraMyraMyra said:

Meh. Is the sequel really necessary, especially since it's already been quite a while since the first movie came out? I think Sin City the movie is one of the best film adaptations of a comic book ever made mostly because of its unique visual style. The main reason it claimed critical praisal was because it had such an interesting approach to adapting a graphic novel to the big screen. Isn't the possible sequel bound to unimpress the audience because the visual style no longer has the wow-factor it had when Sin City first came out (especially since Miller has already made that god-awful The Spirit movie, which also had very similar visuals)?

It's not like Frank Miller's writing is the best part of Sin City. I needn't to point out that his stories are over-the-top gritty revenge fantasies with very little actual substance, his characters are two-dimentional stereotypes, and his hard-boiled dialogue is unintentionally hilarious at best. The first Sin City movie was great because it utilized the campy potential of Frank Miller's writing to the maximum and turned the movie into a darkly funny, spot-on pastiche of noir detective stories, which isn't necessarily what Miller intended it to be. I think that a sequel would have the comedic effect of a joke you've already heard once. It's just not as funny the second time around.

I think Sin City was great, but I really don't think that it needs a sequel because I think it was as perfect of an adaptation as the series is ever going to get. Just because there's still more source material left to be adapted doesn't mean that it all has to be filmed.

I clicked on this story to post the very same thing, but you beat me to it and said it better than I probably would have. Kudos.

Posted by The Impersonator

I guess I won't be going to Las Vegas this time.

Posted by Z3RO180

@Pokeysteve:your not the ony one there were a few parts of the movie i didnt like and the music was awesome.

Posted by Kairan1979

I wonder how they are going to do A Dame to Kill For withous Shelly.

Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus

Ooh, good stuff :)

Posted by RonaldBryan

Or the movie could never get made. It's an either/or thing really.

Posted by masterlogan2000

The original Sin City was amazing, and I generally trust the works of Frank Miller. Too bad that these videos are no longer available for viewing.

Posted by msavo

I didn't like the original Sin City at all.

Posted by HexThis

I may be too heartbroken to see this. I loved Brittany Murphy, particularly in Sin City.....very, very underrated actress.

Posted by SuperDoahBoy

Recasting Shellie would indeed be a bad move, but I have no doubts Frank & Robert will be able to work something out.

Posted by TerryMcC

So will this be a sequel to Sin City (and I am one who while I found it interesting, really didn't "like it") or Miller's The Spirit?
Posted by VioletPhoenix

Frank Miller can really work the crazy eyes.

Posted by iaconpoint

I love you Jessica Alba.

Posted by MetropolisKid41

FINALLY!!!! I remember reading that Sin City 2 was on the way in Wizard in June of 2006!!! I can't wait for this to finally get shooting and come out in theaters!!!

Posted by ThomasElliot

@Pokeysteve:

You entitled to opinion. Nothing wrong with that. Just like I think Transformers is a big steaming pile of crap.

But what was it you didn't like?

I like Sin City... my only beef with it is that Rodriguez made such a faithful adaptation, it gives nerdy fanboys reasons to pick on other franchises like Xmen or Spider-man.

I like when movies do their own spin on the stories, as long as the characters are done properly. Sin City is the one exception where actually re-creating the comic in film-form was very well done and very entertaining at the same time.

Posted by Pokeysteve

@ThomasElliot: I haven't seen it in years so I couldn't tell you specifically. I just didn't enjoy it. Not one bit. Marv was a badass and that's really all I remember. It wasn't fun. I love all three of the Transformer movies but I think that's because I never got into the cartoon. Bumble bee as a Camaro?! When the credits roll on them though, I'm happy and want to see it again.

The faithful book to screen adaptation I like. I wish more comic book movies did that. I hated all three X-Men movies and the last Spider-Man movie. They changed too much and it ruined it for me. What did you think of Watchmen (if you saw it)? They did an excellent job with that.