Comic Vine News

39 Comments

DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS Gets New Creative Team, Concept Starting With Issue #6

The title, which will no longer feature Deadman's character, will shift from the supernatural to science fiction.

As you may or may not know, one of DC's newest ongoing books, DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS is structured a little bit differently than many of their other relaunches. Unlike most of their "new 52" titles, DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS is actually a title that will spotlight a variety of different characters, separated by different story arcs. The current arc, written by Paul Jenkins and illustrated by Bernard Chang has focused on Deadman's character, specifically, and has delved into the character's thoughts as well as his identity. Upon the current 5-issue story arc conclusion, DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS will be shaken up.

Revealed on THE SOURCE earlier today, the title will get a whole new creative team and the story will go from being all about the supernatural (Deadman), to a science-fiction story arc written by DC's co-publisher Dan Didio and drawn by Jerry Ordway. The new story arc will launch with issue #6 of DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS and will focus on the 'Challengers of the Unknown,' a concept first developed by Jack Kirby. Check out the gorgeous Ryan Sook cover to DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #6, above. What do you think? Do you like what you see so far? Do you think it's a good idea to tell a variety of different stories and separate them by different story arcs? Are you enjoying the current Deadman story?

39 Comments
Posted by MetropolisKid41

I have loved the Deadman story so far, I'll be sad to see him go. I hope he starts to take a more prominent role in JL Dark. I'm interested to see how they'll handle Challengers of the Unknown, I'll definitely continue to pick up the book and see where the arc heads. I do like the format of the book, and am curious what character or team will be tackled next after CotU.

Posted by jsphsmth

I was surprised how much I am enjoying the Deadman arc. Doubt it will translate to an ongoing though. he appears in too many titles as is.

Can't wait to see Didio's take on the Challengers. I used to be a hater, but after OMAC and the reboot, I am a supporter.

Posted by TheMess1428

What is up with Didio on Kirby characters? And I think the concept should have been 1 issue arcs like in the old days or go up to 3 at most. But I do understand the 5 issue arcs for trade purposes.

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous

That mountain face in the background looks ominous 

Online
Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus

This is one of the titles I seriously was considering getting when I was choosing which among New 52 to get. I still want it, but lord until $$$ constraints ease up I don't know if I can partake in this awesome title. I like that about this title though...with each story arc there is a new creative team. That's pretty cool.

Posted by MetropolisKid41

Didio must be a big fan of some of the classic Kirby DC stuff, no beef with that as I am as well! I love all the love the Kirby characters have been getting in not only the DC relaunch, but also with the Kirby Genesis stuff from Dynamite. I can't wait for the other tie-in books for that, and can't wait to see more of the Darkseid and Apokolips saga unfold in the pages of Justice League.

Posted by Green ankh

F##K YA !!!!!! opps sorry i got carried away. CotU and Ordway = awsome.

Posted by cosmo111687

I'm really enjoying the Deadman story and it's a shame that it will have to go. I might have to drop this title from my pull-lis after Deadman is over unless if DC can convince me otherwise.

Posted by Wattup

They should feature Batman. I rarely see him nowadays! 8 )

Edited by Knight Train

The Deadman run is definitely the best stuff I'm reading at the moment, but I knew it was going to end. I wish that after the Deadman run ends that they feature characters that the dcu has forgotten since the reboot, such as some Milestone characters, Captain Marvel, Cassandra Cain, etc. There are so many neglected characters that need to be revived that it seems silly to bring back a concept that was never really good. Ill read this even though I don't want to, and im also upset that they're changing the creative team, but at least they didn't do it during the Deadman run.

Posted by The Poet

hmm...Saw this and wondered...We'll see...

Moderator
Edited by doordoor123

@Knight Train said:

The Deadman run is definitely the best stuff I'm reading at the moment, but I knew it was going to end. I wish that after the Deadman run ends that they feature characters that the dcu has forgotten since the reboot, such as some Milestone characters, Captain Marvel, Cassandra Cain, etc. There are so many neglected characters that need to be revived that it seems silly to bring back a concept that was never really good. Ill read this even though I don't want to, and im also upset that they're changing the creative team, but at least they didn't do it during the Deadman run.

Hope you know that this is an anthology book. Meaning that characters and writers usually only last an arc. Some creative teams stay on anthology books but its pretty uncommon. This book is meant to see what people are interested in. If the Deadman story got a lot of attention, I'm sure it'll get some more. And same for Challengers of the Unknown.

Captain Marvel is showing up in the Justice League back-up, Milestone characters are supposed to pop up in Static Shock sometime and Gail Simone probably has plans for Cassandra Cain. She told us that she's doing a secret project with Brian Q Miller right after talking about Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown. I think shell bring one or both of them back. Also they will probably both be in Batman Inc next year.

Posted by The Poet

@TheMess1428 said:

What is up with Didio on Kirby characters? And I think the concept should have been 1 issue arcs like in the old days or go up to 3 at most. But I do understand the 5 issue arcs for trade purposes.

actully DC's site says the first volume will go from #1-8, which is peculiar to say the least...

Moderator
Posted by Icarusflies

…..D@mnit.

I'm not reading anything written by Didio. Buying this book would be one of the surest ways to waste my money short of throwing it in the gutter.

Moderator Online
Posted by The Impersonator

I'm a big fan of science-fiction. I can't wait to read the next story.

Posted by Adnan

Sounds neat. Not sure what's with DiDio and his sudden Kirby fetish lately, but it's notably different to the rest of what the 52 has to offer I suppose.

Posted by pikahyper

@TheMess1428 said:

What is up with Didio on Kirby characters? And I think the concept should have been 1 issue arcs like in the old days or go up to 3 at most. But I do understand the 5 issue arcs for trade purposes.

When I first heard about the series I totally thought they would be doing the one issue arcs like DC Comics Presents, I was a little disappointed when I found out it wasn't, glad they are switching it up but I hope they try to get a little more out there and maybe try some new/original characters and go the Showcase route.

I bet the next arc with either be Doom Patrol or Adam Strange.

Moderator
Posted by Knight Train

@doordoor123: Yeah I understand that, but what i'm saying is that the creative team has been fantastic. Also I don't care whether those characters are gonna show up in other books, they deserve a mini-series centered just around them. Also I hope more Milestone characters don't show up in Static, because that series is really bad at the moment. Also I don't think anyone wants anything written by Dan Didio...

Posted by haydenclaireheroes

It seems interesting. I like that they change up the present stories to give us stories we can not get in the other ongoing series.

Posted by chalkshark

This is exactly the kind of book that DC... & Marvel, too... needs to be publishing. Both companies have, literally, hundreds of characters laying fallow, a lot of whom do actually have fan bases. These characters can wait, sometimes for years, for some page time to open up in a regular series. Maybe that guest appearance leads to something more substantial. Likely, the character just goes back into limbo, unless they're lucky enough to get placement on a team. 
 
The advantage of a series like "DC Comics Presents" is that the character gets the limelight for an entire story arc. The character's entire fictional venue gets brought back to the forefront. If sales are high enough, maybe the character is brought back for an encore. Perhaps two. Possibly even graduating to their own series, if sales warrant that action. This type of book should also be relatively bullet proof in terms of maintaining an ongoing status. That lackluster Johnny Thunder story arc bringing down sales? No worries. It's being followed up by the Neil Gaiman penned/ Alex Ross painted Spectre story. The format allows you to reach out to the best talent in the industry, many of whom might not be willing to commit to a monthly series, but could certainly be wrangled into doing one story. Artist need a lot of lead time to maintain a monthly schedule? No problem. Assign the work, publish when it's ready. As long as you've got enough solid artist's who can handle the monthly grind, you can wait on the prima donnas to finish their work. The format has that kind of built in elasticity to it. 
 
Everyone has their favorite character, & they all deserve the chance to read great stories featuring them. This kind of series also shines a light on characters that, maybe, a large portion of the readership is unfamiliar with, or have never even heard of, or seen. It also gives DC the opportunity to make some money off even their lamest characters. Under ordinary circumstances, no one in their right mind would support a Doll Man series.... unless Lee Bermejo was drawing it in the pages of DC Comics Presents. Than, suddenly, it's the book everyone has to have.  
 
I'm not a big fan of Deadman, or the Challengers of the Unknown, but I'm buying & will continue to buy DC Comics Presents in the interest of maybe discovering why I should give a damn about those characters. I am a fan of Jerry Ordway's artwork, so Challengers of the Unknown has that going for it. While I'm reading those stories, I'll be thinking about the future. Hoping to see the return of The Metal Men, or The Doom Patrol, Maybe even Kamandi. Dare to dream.

Posted by doordoor123

@Knight Train said:

@doordoor123: Yeah I understand that, but what i'm saying is that the creative team has been fantastic. Also I don't care whether those characters are gonna show up in other books, they deserve a mini-series centered just around them. Also I hope more Milestone characters don't show up in Static, because that series is really bad at the moment. Also I don't think anyone wants anything written by Dan Didio...

TOTS disagree man. After the brilliance of OMAC, ill read almost anything he's a part of. I think he's a good idea mean but bad writer. And as long as he has a partner, I'm all for it.

Posted by doordoor123

@chalkshark said:

This is exactly the kind of book that DC... & Marvel, too... needs to be publishing. Both companies have, literally, hundreds of characters laying fallow, a lot of whom do actually have fan bases. These characters can wait, sometimes for years, for some page time to open up in a regular series. Maybe that guest appearance leads to something more substantial. Likely, the character just goes back into limbo, unless they're lucky enough to get placement on a team. The advantage of a series like "DC Comics Presents" is that the character gets the limelight for an entire story arc. The character's entire fictional venue gets brought back to the forefront. If sales are high enough, maybe the character is brought back for an encore. Perhaps two. Possibly even graduating to their own series, if sales warrant that action. This type of book should also be relatively bullet proof in terms of maintaining an ongoing status. That lackluster Johnny Thunder story arc bringing down sales? No worries. It's being followed up by the Neil Gaiman penned/ Alex Ross painted Spectre story. The format allows you to reach out to the best talent in the industry, many of whom might not be willing to commit to a monthly series, but could certainly be wrangled into doing one story. Artist need a lot of lead time to maintain a monthly schedule? No problem. Assign the work, publish when it's ready. As long as you've got enough solid artist's who can handle the monthly grind, you can wait on the prima donnas to finish their work. The format has that kind of built in elasticity to it. Everyone has their favorite character, & they all deserve the chance to read great stories featuring them. This kind of series also shines a light on characters that, maybe, a large portion of the readership is unfamiliar with, or have never even heard of, or seen. It also gives DC the opportunity to make some money off even their lamest characters. Under ordinary circumstances, no one in their right mind would support a Doll Man series.... unless Lee Bermejo was drawing it in the pages of DC Comics Presents. Than, suddenly, it's the book everyone has to have. I'm not a big fan of Deadman, or the Challengers of the Unknown, but I'm buying & will continue to buy DC Comics Presents in the interest of maybe discovering why I should give a damn about those characters. I am a fan of Jerry Ordway's artwork, so Challengers of the Unknown has that going for it. While I'm reading those stories, I'll be thinking about the future. Hoping to see the return of The Metal Men, or The Doom Patrol, Maybe even Kamandi. Dare to dream.

Great post. And I agree.

I would also love to see Kamandi, Metal Men, Doom Patrol and several others play a part in this relaunch. I didn't pick up the Deadman story because I felt fine with the Deadman that I know without his origin but I love to see characters that I don't know much about or just new characters.

This-- This is why I love the relaunch.

Posted by azza04

The concept sounds good, I didn't bother picking up the title because I haven't got much interest in Deadmans character, although he seems sort of cool in Justice League Dark...

Posted by TheoryOfEverything

I'd love to see a Doom Patrol arc.

Posted by JonesDeini

Glad to see The Challengers back on the scene...but Didio? Crap...

Posted by Mr. Kamikaze

Will we get to see Thomas Tresser's place in the New 52. I liked him in Wonder Woman...I hope they bring him back.

Posted by mikeclark1982

last time i saw a "comic book company x presents" was when marvel did it with wolverine and ghost rider, in like 1991 and they were in every issue. kinda irked me. marvel had a relatively small and stable group of characters and they focused on flame skull and wolvie!

Posted by obscurefan

You know I'll admit, I disagreed with a lot of my friends when they said Challengers of the Unknown should have gotten their own series with the new 52, but man oh man do I think they would be fantastic as a six issue long storyarc in DC Universe Presents.

Posted by mickeyangel

This anthology title is our best bet at exploring where some of our favorite characters or concepts ended up in the new DCU that aren't presently showcased in an ongoing. I am a fan of the Challengers and Ordway for sure. I share other's hopes for Metal Men and Doom Patrol.

Posted by DoomDoomDoom

@chalkshark: I would love to see Doom Patrol or Kamandi!

Posted by Eyz

The Challengers? Awesome!! :D

Posted by scifi_superstar

aaahhhhh!!!!!! theres a face on that mountian!!!! ok, im intrested. by the way, the new uniforms of the CotU look pretty cool. like special ops.

Posted by ImperiousRix

@JonesDeini said:

Glad to see The Challengers back on the scene...but Didio? Crap...

My thoughts exactly. I'd love to see a Challengers of the Unknown story, but have little faith that Didio will deliver with his writing.

Posted by TheMess1428

@The Poet said:

@TheMess1428 said:

What is up with Didio on Kirby characters? And I think the concept should have been 1 issue arcs like in the old days or go up to 3 at most. But I do understand the 5 issue arcs for trade purposes.

actully DC's site says the first volume will go from #1-8, which is peculiar to say the least...

DC Universe Presents Volume 1 is going to be 8 issues? That is not going to work at all!

Posted by SUPER-MAN 23

That soon eh

Posted by Omegalpha

Looks darn cool.
 
This is the whole point of this book.

Posted by The Stegman

Challengers of the Unknown?? i'm SO down!

Posted by positronic

Challengers of the Unknown is a concept that was decades ahead of its time. They investigate the strange, the mysterious, the unearthly, the paranormal, in short... the Unknown. It's basically a cross between "In Search Of" and "X-Files", but in the DC Universe with big Kirby monsters, aliens and everything else that implies. Would make for an excellent TV series (hint, hint).

Love me some Jerry Ordway (one of the most underrated DC artists). Dan DiDio, not so much.

Posted by jsphsmth

@chalkshark said:

This is exactly the kind of book that DC... & Marvel, too... needs to be publishing. Both companies have, literally, hundreds of characters laying fallow, a lot of whom do actually have fan bases. These characters can wait, sometimes for years, for some page time to open up in a regular series. Maybe that guest appearance leads to something more substantial. Likely, the character just goes back into limbo, unless they're lucky enough to get placement on a team. The advantage of a series like "DC Comics Presents" is that the character gets the limelight for an entire story arc. The character's entire fictional venue gets brought back to the forefront. If sales are high enough, maybe the character is brought back for an encore. Perhaps two. Possibly even graduating to their own series, if sales warrant that action. This type of book should also be relatively bullet proof in terms of maintaining an ongoing status. That lackluster Johnny Thunder story arc bringing down sales? No worries. It's being followed up by the Neil Gaiman penned/ Alex Ross painted Spectre story. The format allows you to reach out to the best talent in the industry, many of whom might not be willing to commit to a monthly series, but could certainly be wrangled into doing one story. Artist need a lot of lead time to maintain a monthly schedule? No problem. Assign the work, publish when it's ready. As long as you've got enough solid artist's who can handle the monthly grind, you can wait on the prima donnas to finish their work. The format has that kind of built in elasticity to it. Everyone has their favorite character, & they all deserve the chance to read great stories featuring them. This kind of series also shines a light on characters that, maybe, a large portion of the readership is unfamiliar with, or have never even heard of, or seen. It also gives DC the opportunity to make some money off even their lamest characters. Under ordinary circumstances, no one in their right mind would support a Doll Man series.... unless Lee Bermejo was drawing it in the pages of DC Comics Presents. Than, suddenly, it's the book everyone has to have. I'm not a big fan of Deadman, or the Challengers of the Unknown, but I'm buying & will continue to buy DC Comics Presents in the interest of maybe discovering why I should give a damn about those characters. I am a fan of Jerry Ordway's artwork, so Challengers of the Unknown has that going for it. While I'm reading those stories, I'll be thinking about the future. Hoping to see the return of The Metal Men, or The Doom Patrol, Maybe even Kamandi. Dare to dream.

Kamandi! I personally would love to see this, but people seem to be reacting negatively to the whole DC multiverse idea.