Today's edition of Community Star (Starlet if you're a lady. See? We're moving forward!) brings us a person I've had under the microscope for quite some time. He's one of the top reviewers on ComicVine, a lover of comic books that are a bit more indy, a great writer, and a fellow Canadian. Let's welcome Silkcuts into the ComicVine Community Star-of-Fame!
- Silkcuts has a number of great lists on the site, but there's a couple that really catch my eye. The first one is Silkcuts' Top 10 Canadian artists. There's quite a few I had no idea came from the land up north!
- That's a lot of awesome Canadians! How about ten more? But this time, it's Silkcuts' Top 10 Canadian Writers!
- Silkcuts also has some really great blogs. You say you want proof? Well look no further! He did a great write-up on how he admires artist Francis Manapul, and how they come from similar backgrounds!
- Silkcuts asks the question, " Is it worth starting a creator-owned project in Vertigo anymore?" Find out what he thinks and then answer for yourself!
- Silkcuts has been great at the wiki section with some of the things he's a bit more passionate about.He has roughly 1,800 points on the John Constantine page, 1,700 points on the Hellblazer volume page, 1,600 on the Vertigo page, and 1,500 points on the From Hell page.
- Above all though, Silkcuts has put a lot of work into the page about his hometown, Toronto, Ontario (Canada). He's racked up almost 2,800 points on there, including certain landmarks that appear in comic books.
Prince of Reviews!
- If you go to the Reviews section of the site and look at the Top Reviewers, you see people who have dedicated a lot of their time to writing for the site. It's not always about quantity though, it's about quality, and Silkcuts reviews have it.
- I'm a huge fan of Scott McCloud, who has written a few books on the medium of comics and how everything comes together. Check out Silkcuts review of McCloud's book Understanding Comics. He really breaks down the book and tells you everything you need to know.
- Hellblazer #275 recently came out. Silkcuts loves this book and gave the issue a great review. Check it out if you're interested in Vertigo... or just good comics.
- Batman: The Black Casebook is a collection of old Batman stories Grant Morrison took ideas from to tie in to Batman R.I.P. Check out Silkcuts' stellar review of the book.
There you have it! Another week, another awesome ComicVine user. Congratulations to Silkcuts for doing some great writing on the site! See you guys next week!