Comic Vine News

95 Comments

Actor Jamie Foxx Set To Play Electro In 'Amazing Spider-Man' Sequel

Foxx seems to have signed on for the next 'Amazing Spider-Man' film.

Although there has been no official announcement made by the Amazing Spider-Man camp, actor Jamie Foxx apparently confirmed he'll be playing Electro in the sequel to Amazing Spider-Man movie. Foxx is definitely excited for the role. Entertainment Tonight recently spoke to Foxx regarding a meeting he recently had with Amazing Spider-Man director Marc Webb and actor Andrew Garfield.

"I think Electro will be an exciting character to play because he's a ... genius electrician-type person, and he gets the short end of the stick from the whole world, and the next thing you know he turns it on."

The word around town is that Foxx has indeed signed on for the sequel to Amazing Spider-Man and that he will be playing Electro. This little rumor may also have been fueled by the fact that Foxx dressed up as Electro for Halloween. Coincidence? We think likely not. Foxx would be an interesting addition to the Amazing Spider-Man sequel, and considering he recently sat down with the Amazing Spider-Man director and the man who plays Peter Parker, it seems he's definitely signed on for the sequel and there's a good chance the actor might be making his way as the next Spidey villain.

It's interesting that Foxx has 'confirmed' he has the role but director Marc Webb hasn't said anything besides his Tweet yesterday about the casting of Harry Osborn.

What do you think of the possibility of Jamie Foxx playing Electro in the upcoming movie? Let us know in the comments below.

Source: Entertainment Tonight

95 Comments
  • 95 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by VictorVonDoom_1

Make it happen, Webb.

Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus

Riding on the hopeful success of Django, are we Jamie? Well, if he wants to do it I say, sure!

Edited by Ironhawk22

Hopefully he does a good job. I'm kind of mad their introducing Mary Jane and Harry Osborn already, I kind of wish they'd just keep ASM it's own thing and keep Gwen Stacy around for a while. Don't instantly go back and try to replicate the original trilogy(I honestly prefered ASM over all the old trilogy).

Posted by SUNMAN

I like Jamie Foxx, but Electro is a lame character.............oh well

Posted by mattwing87

@SUNMAN said:

I like Jamie Foxx, but Electro is a lame character.............oh well

I think you're thinking of The Shocker :P

Posted by NightFang

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

Riding on the hopeful success of Django, are we Jamie? Well, if he wants to do it I say, sure!

Hopefully it turns out well.

Posted by daredevil21134

lol

Posted by Omega Ray Jay

Really like Electro. I would like to have seen a more faithful 616 interpretation, however he's a great actor and I'm looking forward to see what he does with it.

Posted by dewboy01

If jamie foxx's going 2 B a spiderman villan besides electro, I recommend tombstone instead.

Posted by Mbecks14

I almost want to see the green and yellow costume with the ridiculous lightning mask

Posted by TheCrowbar

On the one hand, it's Jamie Foxx!

On the other...electro...urhmmm

Posted by MadeinBangladesh

ummmmmm OK?

Posted by Video_Martian

I can dig it.

Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude

Hmm, you could say this is SHOCKING news!!! Ha ha ha ha ha!! Um, I'll show myself out now.

Posted by haydenclaireheroes

I am still not sure what to think of this since i have never seen any Jamie Fox movies. But excited to see the trailer to see how he portrays the role

Posted by longbowhunter

Add Jamie Foxx's Electro to the growing list of black comic book characters with lightning powers.

Posted by Samimista

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

Hmm, you could say this is SHOCKING news!!! Ha ha ha ha ha!! Um, I'll show myself out now.

The news could just leave anyone electrified.

Posted by butters911
@Ironhawk22 said:
Hopefully he does a good job. I'm kind of mad their introducing Mary Jane and Harry Osborn already, I kind of wish they'd just keep ASM it's own thing and keep Gwen Stacy around for a while. Don't instantly go back and try to replicate the original trilogy(I honestly prefered ASM over all the old trilogy).
Thats exactly how I feel too
Posted by Meteorite

Considering how well they adapted the Lizard for film (not that that was perfect, but it could have gone badly so easily), I'd say that wasn't a bad idea for a villain. I'll be interested in how they portray his powers.

Posted by BlackReaper

Jamie Foxx? This is a train-wreck just waiting to happen.

Posted by kriminal

electro is kinda lame for comics but for a movie can be sweet. he can hold the city hostage from power and nearly kill spiderman, especially if he is the same weak spidey from the first

Posted by judasnixon
Posted by comicfan123

@Ironhawk22: Same here.

In fact, Garfield's Parker/Spidey seems much more like the wise-cracking comic book Spider-Man I know. ASM rocked.

Posted by Fetts

So, let me get this straight. This all happened just because Jamie Foxx wore an Electro costume on Halloween? 
... 
I'm sorry. Jamie Foxx is a great actor, but this just simply isn't a role that he should play.

Edited by _Black

Dislike. His quote about Electro reaffirms my notion. "electrician-type person"? lol

Posted by StMichalofWilson

@judasnixon said:

LMAO!!!

Posted by StMichalofWilson

@Samimista said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

Hmm, you could say this is SHOCKING news!!! Ha ha ha ha ha!! Um, I'll show myself out now.

The news could just leave anyone electrified.

Don't make me zap you guys

Posted by Agent9149

Will electro be leaning orientation wise or will he just be full throttle straight

Posted by GERALD

@dewboy01 said:

If jamie foxx's going 2 B a spiderman villan besides electro, I recommend tombstone instead.

I'll make sure to tell Marc Webb about your recommendation

Posted by tupiaz

I real don't get why so many black actors are taking the role of white roles. IMO it is a way to feel pity towards black people. IMO it’s a way to give something that is not natural to the role. This kind of positive discrimination does not give more freedom or more equality. On the long run it can just give more problems to pity somebody because they have a sergeant gender or race. Other race can become angry or jealous for instance Latin or Asian people could feel they were overlooked. The black people could feel the just got sergeant rights because the white people feel ashamed about their pass actions. Not that Electro needs to be white I just don’t see the reason for him to be played by a black person. I think it is funny that if a white person plays a minority group it would be so wrong, but if a minority group play the role of white person it is ok. You could say that if many white characters are played by minority groups the characters which have a significant minority identity somehow gets devaluated. If characters that before represent a sergeant group then why do we need that character when blacks can play a white role anyway. IMO you should stay more true to the character, for me it’s less real. Of cause the movie has its own universe and own reality I just don’t see the need for this change.

Online
Posted by iaconpoint

@BlackReaper said:

Jamie Foxx? This is a train-wreck just waiting to happen.

Ugh, he's such a ham actor. Can we say, fried ham? Anyone? Hello!

Posted by SexualLobster

@tupiaz said:

I real don't get why so many black actors are taking the role of white roles. IMO it is a way to feel pity towards black people. IMO it’s a way to give something that is not natural to the role. This kind of positive discrimination does not give more freedom or more equality. On the long run it can just give more problems to pity somebody because they have a sergeant gender or race. Other race can become angry or jealous for instance Latin or Asian people could feel they were overlooked. The black people could feel the just got sergeant rights because the white people feel ashamed about their pass actions. Not that Electro needs to be white I just don’t see the reason for him to be played by a black person. I think it is funny that if a white person plays a minority group it would be so wrong, but if a minority group play the role of white person it is ok. You could say that if many white characters are played by minority groups the characters which have a significant minority identity somehow gets devaluated. If characters that before represent a sergeant group then why do we need that character when blacks can play a white role anyway. IMO you should stay more true to the character, for me it’s less real. Of cause the movie has its own universe and own reality I just don’t see the need for this change.

How important is race to Electro? It's not, at all. He auditioned, Webb thought he was a good pick, and he got the role.

It isn't sympathy, it's the fact that he is a critically acclaimed actor, who went for the role of a movie Supervillain.

At least Heimdall is a Norse god, there weren't many black Vikings, so that argument at least had weight behind it. I see absolutely no point as to why him being black takes away from the character, when it's so unimportant to the character.

Posted by cdeoleo

@BlackReaper: he is a oscar winner so how is that signs of a train wreck?

Posted by cdeoleo

@tupiaz said:

I real don't get why so many black actors are taking the role of white roles. IMO it is a way to feel pity towards black people. IMO it’s a way to give something that is not natural to the role. This kind of positive discrimination does not give more freedom or more equality. On the long run it can just give more problems to pity somebody because they have a sergeant gender or race. Other race can become angry or jealous for instance Latin or Asian people could feel they were overlooked. The black people could feel the just got sergeant rights because the white people feel ashamed about their pass actions. Not that Electro needs to be white I just don’t see the reason for him to be played by a black person. I think it is funny that if a white person plays a minority group it would be so wrong, but if a minority group play the role of white person it is ok. You could say that if many white characters are played by minority groups the characters which have a significant minority identity somehow gets devaluated. If characters that before represent a sergeant group then why do we need that character when blacks can play a white role anyway. IMO you should stay more true to the character, for me it’s less real. Of cause the movie has its own universe and own reality I just don’t see the need for this change.

*certain

"I think it is funny that if a white person plays a minority group it would be so wrong, but if a minority group play the role of white person it is ok" - This is because in many cases being black is central to the character (example being Black Panther is the king of an African country and Isiah Bradley was experimented on first because he was black.)

Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy

Sucks.

Posted by BlackReaper

@cdeoleo said:

@BlackReaper: he is a oscar winner so how is that signs of a train wreck?

Yeah, for playing a blind pianist, not a deranged electric man. Just because someone can play one role, doesn't mean they can play every role. I just don't see it working without looking unbelievably cheesy.

Edited by tupiaz

@ SexualLobster. I agree race is not an important issue for Electro. But then again maybe electro have turned into another person if he has been black. Environment is an important issue for a person; if Electro had been treated different (either good or bad) he could have been another person. For me it seems unnecessary to change this part of the character. His reason for doing crimes could be different because his black than it were because he is black. If you look at FBI profiles they can usually predict what color the offender. It is the trend rather than this role in itself. Why is it necessary to change the race for several characters?

Online
Posted by JamDamage

Electro is a genious????

Posted by kid Apollo

yah why not? all the recent (since IM1) superhero movies on Marvel's side of the fence have been decent (not perfect but not terrible). I've found alot of the actors they've chosen have worked out well for the characters. I remeber saying 'no way, robert downey jr for Iron Man?', 'who the hell is chris hemsworth?', and 'goddamm*t! now mark rufalo is gonna play bruce banner?' and i think they all worked out well. and look at the people playing villains like Hugo Weaving, Jeff Bridges, and Tom Hiddleston. All good calls.

i say why not? if hes bad we can all b*tch about it later

Posted by tupiaz

@ cdeoleo. That I get my point is that many of the white characters would have been different if they were black and not white. Being white is in general a positive characteristic in the western world. Like it or not people that a white we in general be treated better than colored people. My point is that even though race is not important for Electro the fact that he is white have probably shaped him as well. Being white is often not an issue or problem and a white role is therefore in many way a white role is first need when it comes to represent racism or Nazism. In my opinion the trend seems to e a way to do positive discrimination. You could ask why Latin people are not getting the roles. They are after all the most growing group in USA. Reminds that how few Latin (and Asian for that matter) characters there are in comics.

Online
Posted by evilvegeta74

@Omega Ray Jay: You haven't seen any interpretation , what do you mean?

Posted by evilvegeta74

@SexualLobster: I think you're barely educated and you need a mental adjustment in your life for saying such an embarrassing statement, giving away your lack of education, and feel you need some sort of help. May the knowledge be with you , or rather may it travel to what you believe to be your brain cells. Grow up, seriously, just grow up!

Posted by Gambit1024

I'm ok with it... But is it just a coincidence that all the best characters with lighting powers happen to be black dudes?

Posted by YoungJustice

@tupiaz said:

@ cdeoleo. That I get my point is that many of the white characters would have been different if they were black and not white. Being white is in general a positive characteristic in the western world. Like it or not people that a white we in general be treated better than colored people. My point is that even though race is not important for Electro the fact that he is white have probably shaped him as well. Being white is often not an issue or problem and a white role is therefore in many way a white role is first need when it comes to represent racism or Nazism. In my opinion the trend seems to e a way to do positive discrimination. You could ask why Latin people are not getting the roles. They are after all the most growing group in USA. Reminds that how few Latin (and Asian for that matter) characters there are in comics.

Honestly, it depends if you live somewhere where civilization has moved on or hasn't.

Posted by LaserLambert

wait, they really think people will want to go see a movie where the villain is ELECTRO?

Posted by ComicStooge

YYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ELECTRO!

Posted by War Killer

I've always thought Electro was a cool villain, never understood why people disliked him so much. I'm assuming they'll be using his Ultimate version, so I'm looking forward to how they make his powers look onscreen.

Posted by Cavemold

WHAT A SHOCK!

Posted by DH69

Ok wow, officially done i'm out...

Posted by Yung ANcient One
In MY honest opinion. This isn't bad news. I mean it kind of sucks because Jaime is a Star, And we usually prefer to see a obscure actor be one of our super characters. But Jaime is a Great Actor. He's too talented he makes me look bad. XP  I mean the Idea of this going super mainstream is not great. Plus thinking about how Jaime Foxx will use his Electro Role as a gimmick or material is whack. The jokes of him being Black Bolt or Black Lighting, Volt, etc. Not to mention "Electrician type person"  But so what he's clearly not a fan, and all that.  I have hope that he will do a Amazing job, and Web-Aholics will express how Whack he is for being Electro.  Thanks for reading (+)
  • 95 results
  • 1
  • 2