What's this? Another Marvel title being penned by Marvel Architect Matt Fraction? That's right! Marvel is relaunching 'The Defenders,' and has gotten a rather unlikely team together. At the forefront, Doctor Stephen Strange, the former Sorcerer Supreme who will be getting help from Namor, Red She-Hulk, Silver Surfer and Iron Fist. The title, which will feature the art of Terry Dodson will be hitting comic store shelves this December. It will be interesting to see how Fraction deals with so many powerhouses on one team. According to the press release from Marvel, the team will be dealing with "a new kind of threat," but what could it be?
The first issue features a character that has not been named to the team -- the Hulk. Two of the characters are also getting new costumes -- it lseems Doctor Strange has officially lost the cape and Namor got a new gold, black and white suit. Pretty snazzy. You know, because it's important to have a new costume when you're dealing with a new threat.
Marvel won't be releasing this series without some retailer incentives, either; including but not limited to a free Defenders/X-Sanction preview book, a Neal Adams inked variant cover and much more. Full details of retailer incentives below. What do you think of the four-page, unlettered preview? Is this a book you are looking forward to picking up on December 17th?== TEASER ==
Written by MATT FRACTION
Pencils & Cover by TERRY DODSON
Variant Cover by STUART IMMONEN
Variant Cover by NEAL ADAMS
Sketch Variant Cover by NEAL ADAMS
Blank Variant available
I Am A Defender Variant also Available
- A free Defenders/Avengers X-Sanction preview book in stores Wednesday, November 2nd
- Exciting new ordering incentives for retailers, announced in this week’s Marvel Mailer
- Full issue preview on Diamond Retailer Site
- Extremely limited-edition Defenders #1 Neal Adams Inked Variant
- In-store promotional items including mini-posters, postcards and more.
- Digital marketing designed to drive consumers to comic stores for Defenders #1
- Prominently placed Defenders house ads in major Marvel comics
- A month long promotion through the Marvel Comics app, designed to create greater awareness and interest in Defenders
- Defenders-centric E-mail blasts to consumers
- Mainstream press timed around the Defenders #1 on-sale
This December, all-new era in Marvel history begins with Matt Fraction and Terry Dodson’s Defenders #1.
- Ads in each digital issue of Defenders #1 directing fans to check out subsequent issues at their local comic shop
DEFENDERS #1 (OCT110587)
DEFENDERS #1 IMMONEN VARIANT (OCT110588)
DEFENDERS #1 ADAMS VARIANT (OCT110589)
DEFENDERS #1 ADAMS INKED VARIANT (SEP118111)
DEFENDERS #1 BLANK VARIANT (OCT110590)
DEFENDERS #1 I AM A DEFENDER VARIANT (OCT110591)