Power Question

#1 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

When and why did Dr. Light lose the ability to become light?

#2 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

probebly after Identity Crisis

#3 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking for a bit more detail than that.

#4 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"I'm looking for a bit more detail than that."

lol i know that man. I think he lost it after the whole memory thing with Zatana. But i have not been keeping up to date on Dr.Light so im drawing a blank.

so again im not help sorry

#5 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#6 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

"The controversial 2004 miniseries Identity Crisis revealed that Doctor Light had, at some point in the past, brutally raped Sue Dibny, the wife of the superhero Elongated Man. (Later issues revealed that he was a serial rapist with Light stating that Dibny was not his first victim). After taking a vote, the League resolved to alter his mind through the use of Zatanna's magic so that Light would no longer pose a threat to their loved ones. In the process, they accidentally gave him a partial lobotomy, thus explaining how he fell from being a plausible foe of the Justice League to a punching bag for the Teen Titans. He later recovered his memories and intellect, and vowed revenge against the Justice League."

something Zatanna did?

just a guess

M

#7 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

If it were Zatanna then I'm pretty sure he would have gotten the ability back when he got his mind back afterwards and would have used it when he was punking the Teen Titans and messing with GA (although he did do something that resembled becoming light, but I thought that was just an illusion). I'm pretty sure it was gone before that anyway, but I could be wrong.

#8 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

dunno... i don't honestly remember that last time he used his ability to that extent...

M

#9 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"When and why did Dr. Light lose the ability to become light?"

He never could, I mean there was an arc, were he became infused the Green Lanterns Lamp, giving him the ability to become complete light. But after GL defeated him, he was returned back to his normal ability's.

#10 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty sure that's backwards. He died (I think in Suicide Squad) and when he came back to life he could be light. He was trapped by Hal Jordan in the Lamp on Oa after that.

#11 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty sure he died first, then got trapped. Might have to look it up to be sure.

#12 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

That's what I'm saying, he died first, then came back with the ability to become light (before going into the Lamp, not after, meaning it wouldn't be something he got from the Lamp) and then got trapped by Hal.

#13 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotcha.

#14 Posted by Spectrum (4468 posts) - - Show Bio

So would that mean that all those with the power of the th lapm have the ability to become light?

#15 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

He didn't get that ability from the Lamp, that's what my last two posts were saying. I'm still trying to figure out when (or if) he really lost it and how/why.

#16 Posted by Spectrum (4468 posts) - - Show Bio

oh right, ill keep an eye out for it, although there was a page in Identity Crisis when It was him exploding, i dont know if he was acually sending light out or was just

becoming it.

#17 Posted by Premutos (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Spectrum says:

"oh right, ill keep an eye out for it, although there was a page in Identity Crisis when It was him **exploding**, i dont know if he was acually sending light out or was just becoming it."

Becoming light and teleporting away, that's what he was doing. He does the same at the end of the "Heading into the Light" arc in Green Arrow

He never lost this ability, it's only that as of late he doesn't use it very often

#18 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"If it were Zatanna then I'm pretty sure he would have gotten the ability back when he got his mind back afterwards and would have used it when he was punking the Teen Titans and messing with GA (although he did do something that resembled becoming light, but I thought that was just an illusion). I'm pretty sure it was gone before that anyway, but I could be wrong. "

I'm going to see if I can find anything but I think your answer is that the writers either forgot he had that power (unlikely) or thought he would be more manageable without it (far more likely) and simply ignored the fact that he should be able to accomplish the feat again when he regained his full faculties. His character may not be considered (by the current DC staff) top flight enough to be on the power level where he could be punking the Titans. But that's just a guess and I'm going to search and see if there is any "in comic" explanation. If there is surely someone here will find it.

#19 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

i'd forgotten about this thread...

i actually located the issue where he escaped the "Power Battery" and imprisoned Kyle and Jade inside...

considering he took control of Kyle's constructs and then converted Kyle into light and imprisoned him in the battery, i'd say Dr Light is more of a threat than most people give him credit for

M

#20 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Impressive.

#21 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

It is. But then you could say that about most characters.

#22 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

he's got enough power behind him to be a real threat...

pity he doesn't use it right lol

M

#23 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

Forever says:

" His character may not be considered (by the current DC staff) top flight enough to be on the power level where he could be punking the Titans. "

Even if they didn't think he was normally, he should have been able to do it in that instance. The whole purpose for the fight was to show that with his mind intact again and him using his powers right, Dr. Light is scary powerful.

Methos says:

"considering he took control of Kyle's constructs and then converted Kyle into light and imprisoned him in the battery, i'd say Dr Light is more of a threat than most people give him credit forM"

Light is one of my favorite villains, part of the reason I was trying to find out about some details. If, like Premutos said, he never actually lost this ability, that's just more to like.

#24 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"i've searched through and i can't find him actually loosing the ability...i'm guessing the writers just forgot about itM"

or maybe they just don't wanna use it until they think of something good

#25 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

i've searched through and i can't find him actually loosing the ability...

i'm guessing the writers just forgot about it

M

#26 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"Forever says:
" His character may not be considered (by the current DC staff) top flight enough to be on the power level where he could be punking the Titans. "

Even if they didn't think he was normally, he should have been able to do it in that instance. The whole purpose for the fight was to show that with his mind intact again and him using his powers right, Dr. Light is scary powerful.

I agree, he fought alone against two dozen titans at the same time and he was defeating them

#27 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

Respek!

#28 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

He turned two Green Lantern's into light and trapped them inside a Power Battery...

yeah, he's scary powerful

M

#29 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"He turned two Green Lantern's into light and trapped them inside a Power Battery...yeah, he's scary powerfulM"

wow even better

#30 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

that appeared in the Green Lantern 3D issue if anyone wants to hunt it down for reference...

be warned, reading without the Red / Green glasses = headache

M

#31 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"He turned two Green Lantern's into light and trapped them inside a Power Battery... yeah, he's scary powerful M"

do you guys think he should have been able to do that? i mean shouldnt they have been able to protect themselves with their rings, "the greatest weapons in the universe"?

#32 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"do you guys think he should have been able to do that? i mean shouldnt they have been able to protect themselves with their rings, "the greatest weapons in the universe"?"

which uses Hard Light constructs... against someone that controls all forms of light?

M

#33 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

To the Titans:

Don't mess with doctor light anymore lol

#34 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"Apparition says:
"do you guys think he should have been able to do that? i mean shouldnt they have been able to protect themselves with their rings, "the greatest weapons in the universe"?"
which uses Hard Light constructs... against someone that controls all forms of light? M"

which just means his control is greater than theirs... cause if they had more will power then shouldnt they have been able to outdo him? i can understand him controlling their light constructs or attacks they make on him but he can turn them into light and they cant do anything at all about it.

#35 Posted by Premutos (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Problem with Dr. Light is, writters tend to ignore/forget half of his powerset. Otherwise he'd become way to powerful for the good guys to deal with. The same crap that happens to Electro, Graviton and other B-list elemental villains.

Anyone read Superman/Batman #43? Apparently Dr. Light's back to his pre-ID Crisis levels of nonsensical jobbing, only WORSE. Stupid writter probably wasn't aware that the one whose powers are useless in the darkness is Dr. Light II (Kimiyo Hoshi), since half of Dr. Light I's fight with the Titans happened in the darkness generated by himself.

Y'know, when I was a kid and started reading comics there was a thing called continuity. Oh, and editors...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.