Follow

Arrow

Series »

Thought to be dead after a catastrophe at sea, Oliver Queen returns to Starling City a changed man, determined to fight injustice as a hooded vigilante who comes to be known as The Arrow. Based on DC Comics' Green Arrow franchise.

Arrow "Seeing Red"

• 87 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

This week's Arrow was a huge one. Not only did it address how the mirakuru is messing with Roy, but it also skillfully juggled how this impacted Oliver and Sara's relationship, Deathstroke's plan, and the most detailed look we've yet to have at who Moira is and whether she'll allow this campaign to stand in the way of repairing the connection to her family.

Before we discuss the meaningful and heavy elements of this episode, I simply have to point out how awesome the action was. There wasn't much of it, but the little there was most certainly left a mark. The focus on Roy's physicals allowed for some seriously cool displays of power. From snapping limbs and sending people flying to catching one of Oliver's arrows, it was all directed very well and the wire work made these brawls very exciting.

The previews and the title may imply this episode's all about the situation with Roy -- and he does play a big role -- but the core of this episode revolves around Moira. She's had a rocky road in this show and had been put in the spotlight multiple times before, but this has got to be the best character study we've yet to see. It does a tremendous job humanizing her and they even expand upon this during the flashbacks. Instead of progressing the island plot, this one chimes in on a time young Oliver messed up and the lengths Moira will go to protect him. And in the present, well, let's just say the dynamic between Moira and her family is topnotch and you'll seriously need a heart of stone to reflect the feels this episode delivers.

The conflict with Roy allows for a little more focus on Thea and Sin, but honestly, it does a more effective job putting the dynamic between Oliver and Sara on display. The show tends to get a little heavy-handed with the "I'm a killer/no you're not!" conversations, but for the most part, the drama over how they want to handle the scenario is logical and well-earned. Not only that, but it was interesting to see how the two handled potentially taking a big step in their relationship. Sure, that was probably a little too "CW-ish" for some of you, but I dug it.

The big scene -- yeah, you know the one I'm talking about -- had a predictable outcome and part of me was seriously hoping they'd shock us and go with the "other option." My jaw would still be on the floor if that happened. That said, even though many of us knew how it would end, it was still presented in such a gripping and compelling manner. It's easily one of the best scenes this show has yet to produce.

Okay, I can't resist getting a little spoilery, so cut to the next paragraph if you don't want anything ruined! Now that Deathstroke has killed Moira and Merlyn has been name-dropped again, who else thinks the League of Assassins will appear to help battle Slade's army? Could this mean Ra's will finally show his face? Man, I hope so!

My biggest problem with this episode was the resolution with Sara. All of the drama elsewhere was really strong, but this felt like a major weak point. I understand what she just went through and why she feels that way, but the line she pulled made me cringe and, after all they've been through, it felt so abrupt. Also, is it just me or did Diggle totally overreact in the first scene? And the Roy "fake out" in the alley seemed unnecessary because I'm pretty sure it fooled absolutely no one. Still, these complaints hardly take away from everything this episode did so well.

Seeing Red is emotionally powerful, incorporates great action, and makes some major developments. Arrow's hit us with some pretty powerful scenes over the course of these two seasons, but nothing has had me nearly as emotionally invested as this one. Everything -- the writing, the directing, the stunt work, the performances -- was superb tonight and no fan should miss out on this episode.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Wolverine008

All we need now is

Macolm Merlyn:

No Caption Provided

vs

Slade Wilson:

No Caption Provided

Malcolm shall be pissed after his women has been killed!

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By MrMazz

Roy wasn't the only one seeing red

Heyoo

Cheap Plug to User Review

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Amazing episode, totally agree with the rating, and the way that Slade was pointing out Shado's "ghost" to Oliver was one of my favorite parts towards that, you know, MASSIVE ending. Only 3 episodes left!

SpiderPigLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Did they just set-up Connor Hawke?

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Jphu8414
    No Caption Provided

My reaction to the ending...

That was a great episode, really emotional and had good buildup, I'm sure the last couple of episodes are when things really start to get crazy. The flashbacks really showed some stuff in depth as well and went along well with the episode.

RIP Moira, I have actually always enjoyed her character and she will thoroughly missed by me. At least she redeemed herself before she went.

Can we get a Slade vs Merlyn showdown like everyone has been asking next? Really want to see Merlyn kick the crap out of Slade

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I'm at work so I can't see it, but this review has gotten me all excited.

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very good episode! At first I was blah over what seemed to be a Roy centric episode, but my attitude chaged. So much goodness packed into this episode! I can't believe there's only 3 episodes left. I can't help but wonder if they're going to go somewhere with Oliver's "family" in the future? But with 3 episodes left, let the goodt times roll.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_stegman  Moderator

I actually disliked most of this episode, mostly cause I don't care about Roy and his constant rage fits..but that ending made up for everything...dayum Slade, you are savage.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HushoftheWind
    No Caption Provided

Damn.....This show man....this show.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#10  Edited By batmannflash

@wolverine08: lol you should spoiler block that ... I didn't watch the episode yet :(

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
    obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

infernopig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldnt help but roll my eyes at Sarahs speech...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jakethesnake18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infernopig: I agree it seemed way too cliche, but now they can set up some sort of mysterious "old friend" for her to be visiting

Avatar image for depressed_insomniac
    Depressed_Insomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After tonights episode, I had to go hug my mother and tell her I love her

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#17  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

The ending was crazy but the epsiode as a whole, I didn't really care much.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By TheFirstLantern

this.

Jesus christ can we please have Merlyn, Suicide Squad, Arrow vs Slade and his Army?

Avatar image for SuperStar_sketcher
    SuperStar_sketcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What i do hope they don't do is kill off Slade.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By patrat18
    Avatar image for allstarsuperman1
    AllStarHit-Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually disliked most of this episode, mostly cause I don't care about Roy and his constant rage fits..but that ending made up for everything...dayum Slade, you are savage.

Completely agree. Roy is one of the worst on the show and a whole episode devoted to one big baby fit stank for the most part. I loved the ending though, and I really want Merlyn to take revenge.

stevencarver_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderpiglives: I was gonna say the same thing. I just about pooped my pants when I heard the related information. The question is, would it even matter? The kid would be just about 6 years old at this point, so maybe a it's thing to be revealed two, three seasons down the road? Also, did we hear the girl's name? I feel like we did, but I can't remember.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18: LMAO!Nice touch.

MERLYN!MERLYN!MERLYN!I want him to come back now!

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18: LMAO!Nice touch.

MERLYN!MERLYN!MERLYN!I want him to come back now!

I know right? If he killed Thea, sh!t would be intense to see how Merlyn would handle Slade.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By reaverlation

@patrat18: Funny hoping it was her because she's my least favorite. I am hoping more Merlyn and Oliver vs Slade in an epic showdown of the year with the League of Assassin's fighting Slade's army.Literally,if done correct,will be the best thing ever!...especially if Ra's gets involved 0_0

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18: Funny hoping it was her because she's my least favorite. I am hoping more Merlyn and Oliver vs Slade in an epic showdown of the year with the League of Assassin's fighting Slade's army.Literally,if done correct,will be the best thing ever!...especially if Ra's gets involved 0_0

Agreed.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Gahhh this show hits me right in the feels. As soon as she told Ollie she knew, we were waiting for it. I expected a bullet through one of the dozen windows they put her next to. Surprise. I wanted Slade to live but he gots to go now.

All we need now is

Macolm Merlyn:

vs

Slade Wilson:

Malcolm shall be pissed after his women has been killed!

That's what I thought too!

Did they just set-up Connor Hawke?

I was waiting so patiently for the girls name but the name never came........the name never came man!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pokeysteve: We're all excited! The ending of the episode was just the epitome of sweet :)

I need Malcolm Merlyn!

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@pokeysteve: We're all excited! The ending of the episode was just the epitome of sweet :)

I need Malcolm Merlyn!

Ollie, Malcolm, Canary, Digg, Roy, mayyyyybe the Suicide Squad vs Slade and co. '

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By dernman

The range that Deathstroke way outclasses Arrow far exceeds that which Merlyn outclasses him.

The fight would pretty much go the way it would with Arrow. Worse maybe because Slade has no reason to keep Merlyn alive nor does Merlyn know the capabilities of Deathstroke. I don't see the assassins helping Merlyn out seeing as IIRC they are no longer on good terms.

The scene with the mother was predictable but still very much engaging. I wonder if his sister will hate him more now. I thought what Black Canary did odd and incredibly stupid especially at a time when Slade is still around.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: SHUDDUP! Merlyn is unbeatable!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dernman

@wolverine08: Deathstoke's response to Merlyn is the same one he gave to the Queen of Queens. .:p

Loading Video...

Nuec_Sol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stevencarver_:

I'm pretty sure they didn't say her name, maybe she's a character for the comics and they're going to make it a big surprise later.

RasenchidoriX8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RasenchidoriX8

@patrat18: No joke, I did the same thing man!

The episode was spectacular, the build up was great, the drama was intense, and the ending my god, just mindblowing. It happened so freaking fast I didn't have time to understand and process what was going on until it was over and tears started dripping from my face. I am most definitely likely to be wrong, but I have this feeling that this might not be the last time we will be seeing Moria. (And by that, I am saying she might survive this even though she was stabbed directly in the chest.) Maybe I'm just in denial, Moria was one heck of a character with a bunch of secrets. I am still trying to gather my thoughts. I really hope for a battle between Merlyn and Slade; and speaking and referring to Slade, him being one of my favorite characters of all time in the DC universe, this really had an impact on me man....I sorta want to hate him...but I can't. waiwaiwaiwaiwaiwaiwaiwai This was my reaction just as Moria was about to talk I'm the car.

No Caption Provided

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@batmannflash said:

@wolverine08: lol you should spoiler block that ... I didn't watch the episode yet :(

Sorry man.

No it's totally fine. I personally don't care for spoilers at all. I'm just saving others from spoilers.

@batmannflash: and yet you are reading a review.

So? I didn't actually read the article, I'm just seeing if people that commented liked it. I don't care for spoilers at all but I was just saying to put spoiler blocks because the whole point of them is to not reveal spoilers to those that actually care.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RasenchidoriX8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18: I know, I am really use to marathoning shows....not use to not having another episode ready....in other words I'm in denial. lol

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18 said:

@depressed_insomniac said:

No Caption Provided

i can honestly see Batman being disappointed(with a little help from Flash too) being disappointed in Ollie, b/c he did kinda let his guard down this ep.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lurkero

The only thing that keeps bothering me about Arrow is the constant back-and-forth talk about being a killer or not being a killer.

LIVES ARE STAKE, ARROW! Kill or be killed. And if Arrow is killed, everyone else will die.

Roy's character is annoying, but that's what characters are supposed to be sometimes.

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really hoping/can't wait for the Arrow, Canary, Merlyn and Diggle vs Slade and crew showdown

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never liked Roy version on Arrow.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheBlackHood

Now THIS is how you do a street level hero show. Damn.... just all the feelings... all of them...

I do sort of have to stick up for Roy. I know a lot of people don't like the actor or the way Roy is being portrayed, but I love the actor since his stint on Teen Wolf. I have faith they are going to bring him into his own.

jadasick12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jadasick12

Im calling it now!!!

Imagine if Merlyn hired Slade to kill Moira. Think about it, how did Slade know Thea was Merlyn's daughter. Merlyn could have specifically told Slade to reveal that.

My prediction for the end is that Sara will come back with the help of the League Of Shadows and it will be revealed that Merlyn was behind all this from the beginning. That would make for a much more jaw-dropping season finally and would set up for next season.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

*** WARNING: I can't do spoiler blocks at the moment, so just a warning that my comment will contain a few uncensored spoilers. ***

Ready?

Okay, so I agree with the general consensus on most accounts. The Sara scenes were somewhat cringworthy this episode. I get what they were going for, and I approve of the direction. The only way that Laurel has Sara outclassed in terms of becoming Black Canary is her heart. Sara is too dark and too harsh to be Black Canary. And while I appreciate the show foreshadowing that idea, they could have done it in a less generic and melodramatic way.

I actually like Roy in this show. I really liked his development prior to being injected with the mirakuru. And I am a bit fan of his relationship with Thea. But since the mirakuru, we've seen far too many "rage" plots and subplots. I miss Roy when he was a big Arrow admirer and when he was with Thea. So I hope that they cure him soon and that they use all of this rage stuff as a motivation for him to chill out in the future. Because if not, I may just lose all interest in the character altogether.

Set-up for Connor Hawke was interesting. It was done in such an organic way and it fit perfectly for the show while still giving fans the opportunity to need out over it. The fact that he'd only be 7 years old may mean that we'll never actually see Connor make it onto the show. But I can't help but feel like it was foreshadowed that Moira's lie will come back to bite Oliver someday.

I still love Thea, despite her very emotional behavior. And while I think that her anger is so completely justified, I can't help but feel like the show is going out of its way to try to make her unlikable. Hopefully, they start to move her away from that direction soon. Because Thea is my favorite character and I'd hate to see the show set us up to hate her.

Also, if Oliver doesn't tell her that he is the Arrow now, he is the biggest ***hole on the planet. Seriously, now is the time to tell her. Especially after all of the secret-keeping has been driving her nuts.

That ending was a showstopper. Even though I saw Moira's death coming since she revealed that she knew about Oliver's identity, I was still shocked enough at how quickly it happened and at just how it was staged to be surprised. Wow, Slade. After all of the times he has needlessly spared Oliver's life, I finally feel like he had an actual purpose in doing so. And they did an excellent job bringing Moors full-circle before killing her. As a character I've loved and hated throughout the show, I can honestly say I'm going to miss her.

Bonus bits:

. I loved Thea and Diggle's conversation. It's about time that people in Oliver's life actually acknowledge his constant presence. And that bit about Diggle losing his job when Oliver loses his money was nicely stuck in.

. Always nice to see Sin. I'm hoping to see more of her now that Thea will likely need a friend.

. Just to reiterate: Thea had BETTER be brought into the loop by the end of the season. She's earned it.

. I expect some Merlyn very soon. It was kind of annoying and cliche that Moira was cut off just before revealing that he is alive. But hopefully he'll make himself known soon.

. My bet is that Sara is going back to Nyssa now. I'd be cool with that. I always thought that her relationship with Ollie was odd. He's better off with Laurel.

. Was I the only one who, when Roy flipped over Felicity's desk full of computers, thought about how replacing them might be an issue now that Oliver is broke? lol.

Stellar episode, in spite of a few minor flaws. 10/10

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually love Sara but she really pissed me off this episode...she decides to leave while all of this stuff with Deathstroke is still going on leaving the Arrow team seriously lacking in manpower...that's just plain selfish...the only way that this is forgivable is if her friend that she's going to see comes back with her in time to help Oliver in the final battle with Slade

christheartist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They DID NOT mention the mother's name...not even in the credits...on IMDB Anna Hopkins is only listed as "The Mother"....I would love to see this be a DC character, or the baby be a DC character.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a time jump coming up between season two and three

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 59

#50  Edited By SlamAdams

@spiderpiglives: I hope not because that girl didn't look half-black, half-Korean, or that interested in doing anything but a walk on role.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.