Follow

Arrow

Series »

Thought to be dead after a catastrophe at sea, Oliver Queen returns to Starling City a changed man, determined to fight injustice as a hooded vigilante who comes to be known as The Arrow. Based on DC Comics' Green Arrow franchise.

Arrow Episode #321: "Al Sah-him"

• 51 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Catching up

Ra’s al Ghul wants Ollie to become his heir. When he refused, Ra’s, Maseo, and the League of Assassins made it appear that the Arrow had turned his ways and was now killing innocents. The police task force was put back in motion. Ra’s revealed the Arrow’s identity to Laurel’s dad and Ollie eventually turned himself in. Roy then staged it to appear he was actually the Arrow. In prison, he was stabbed by a guard and killed. But it was a part of a plan by Diggle and Felicity to fake his death. Ra’s then stabbed Thea who Ollie managed to rush to the hospital. She was stable but on life support with no hopes of coming out of it. His only choice was to accept his “destiny” to become Ra’s heir. In return, Thea could be saved by being placed in a Lazarus Pit. Ollie now has to fulfill his part of the agreement.

Note: There will be spoilers in the recap and review.

No Caption Provided

Recap

Ollie goes through intense training and conditioning. When he’s not training, he’s kept locked up and the affects are weighing in on him. It turns out, it’s only been three weeks. He’s being conditioned to accept that “Oliver Queen is only alive in the past.” He is accepting his place as Al Sah-Him. Diggle tries sneaking but is captured. Diggle says they’re lying about him trying to sneak back, he was never allowed to leave. Al Sah-Him doesn’t care. He instructs Diggle’s chains to be removed and a sword given to him because he won’t kill an unarmed man. They fight for a bit and he stabs him. It turns out he was exposed by a rare herb and he was just seeing things. So it looks like Ollie was willing to actually kill Diggle because that’s what he was seeing?

Flashback to the past in Hong Kong and trying to stop the virus.

Ra’s tells Ollie about his time arriving to become the next Ra’s al Ghul. He didn’t succeed in killing another vying for the position and he escaped with some men. Ra’s says Ollie has to eliminate the threat. He even tried purchasing Malcolm Merlyn’s earthquake machine.

No Caption Provided

Black Canary continues fighting with Nyssa close by. Laurel shares the training by showing Nyssa how they do things in the real world, i.e. shakes and fried foods. Laurel finally tells her that Ollie accepted Ra’s offer. Nyssa is not happy and storms off.

Thea and Felicity have dinner with Diggle and Lyla. Felicity tries convincing Diggle he needs a costume or some sort of concealing outfit if he’s going to keep going out on patrol. Thea’s trying to cope with being resurrected and blames herself for Ollie being gone.

In Hong Kong, it appears that the government is giving a cure to the virus that’s been unleashed. Ollie knows that Waller says there isn’t one. They must be trying to infect even more people. They attack to destroy whatever it is they’re injecting the people with.

Nyssa tells Laurel she needs to leave her side. Now that he’s accepted his position, he’ll be coming after her. Ollie and some men arrive on the rooftop and he says she has to face justice for her betrayal. Nyssa and Laurel go to Felicity and Diggle after Laurel insists. She tries explaining that he is brainwashed and will do what he has to. Thea later goes to Felicity about wanting to take a more active role. Felicity explains that Ollie may be back in town, brainwashed, and going after Nyssa.

Nyssa waits on the rooftop where Sara died. Ollie says he’s there to bring her back to Nanda Parbat. The fight begins. Laruel and Diggle arrive just as Ollie is about to kill her. Laurel unleashes her new Canary blast. Ollie decides to leave. He tells Maseo it’s because Nyssa had friends with her. Thea visits Merlyn and says she has to do something to save her brother. Felicity and Diggle arrive at his place to find the baby left alone. Ollie calls and says he has 30 minutes to bring Nyssa. They have Lyla tied up. Diggle insists to Nyssa that she make the deal. During the exchange, Nyssa refuses to bow to the “true heir.” It was a trapped and they attack the Assassins. Nyssa is taken. Ollie stabs Diggle and is ready to finish him. Diggle tries talking him out of it. Just as Ollie is about to deliver the blow, an arrow pierces his arm. Thea orders him to get away.

Ra’s makes a speech to Nyssa. Ollie is about to kill her when Ra’s stops him. He says Ollie has defeated his rival and there’s no need to spill her blood. Maybe there’s another use for her. He says she is to be Ollie’s wife, the Bride of the Demon. She’s not too happy about it.

No Caption Provided

Thea is alone thinking things over. Felicity arrives. Thea says he should have let her die. They discuss how they still love him despite what he’s become. She finally tells Thea that Roy is still alive. She can leave and start a new life with him, if she wants it.

Cut to everyone being sad, thinking about the loss of Ollie.

Ra’s tells Ollie his final act in ridding himself of his former life is to unleash the virus (from the past) upon Starling City.

No Caption Provided

Thoughts

This show is definitely all over the place. That's not necessarily a bad thing. We have discussed, in the past, how this show, in many ways, just doesn't feel like a Green Arrow show. There are so many Batman elements being injected into it. It does provide for some cool moments and visuals. Part of me wonders if we'll ever go back to seeing Arrow, dressed in green, trying to save his city. Ever since Ra's al Ghul became a big part of the plot, the show's been veering away into other territories. The inclusion of an actual Lazarus Pit to save Thea cemented it even further.

No Caption Provided

Ollie as Al Sah-him could provide an interesting subplot. It'd be great to be able to see him venture off to other areas doing what needs to be done. But because we still have a pretty large cast in Starling City (even though Roy's no longer around), it's clear the show still needs to focus on them as well. Despite all the conditioning and brainwashing, I'm sure we can all agree that Ollie will soon overcome it and return to fight Ra's. The idea of him becoming his heir is just too Batman-ish. The mention of the "Bride of the Demon" makes it even more so.

Stephen Amell is doing a nice job conveying Ollie as being brainwashed and loyal. We can't help but think he's putting on an act for Ra's. It seems the others truly believe Ollie is "gone," especially with the cheesy montage towards the end. We have seen lots of fake outs in the last few episodes. Could this be another one? Is anyone in on Ollie's plan to pretend to truly have accepted his "destiny" or do they all believe he actually has?

Nyssa's actually starting to grow on me. Seeing her trying to adjust to the regular world was entertaining. I know we don't need more members to the cast but we also do need someone to help train Laurel some more. I do have to wonder why wasn’t Lyla gagged when she was captured? She was allowed to talk on and on to Ollie. The flashbacks to Hong Kong felt obtrusive in this episode. Yes, they deal with the virus but they just popped in and interrupted the flow of the show.

We'll have to see how far Ollie will go in proving himself to Ra's al Ghul. He did say he was convinced but he keeps coming up with things for Ollie to do as his puppet.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

YESS! Canary Cry! (Still want her to be a metahuman, though.)

This episode was pretty good. 4/5

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

Now THIS was a good episode. Shame the quality picks up so late. And I hope Thea becomes a vigilante named Speedy.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@the_stegman: It was cool seeing her all dressed up and actually doing something again.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty cool episode...

But when are they going to cool it with it being a Batman show???

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By MrMazz

Ah this was a nice episode, that felt a lot like a S2 episode where they did a bunch of totally comic book stuff (Canary Cry) but in their own way and it made since. We had clear episodic theme on top of mirrors to bounce said theme off of, a couple decent fight scenes and largely good character work with the campy melodrama I adore.

Katrina Law better not die and needs to stick around for either whatever Untitled Flash/Arrow Spin Off show is or more friendship adventure with Laurel.

CHEAP PLUG to User Review

Amell and LAw's faces at the end were pretty perfect.

No Caption Provided

Cared13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really don't like this season. I love Nyssa's character, she should definitely be a major support character next season. Diggle is still cool, Laurel is still good this season but Felicity... This season they ruined Felicity to me with the at least 1 high-piched voice talking and crying per episode. This season and almost every episode is max 3/5 to me except the Broken Arrow ep with Roy, that was the highlight of this season.

It has sooo many stupid moments and I think they should hire somebody who would watch over the script and cut out the dump moments because this season is full of it. Why didn't they checked Felicity? It was so obvious and the other stuffs uuggh. It's still not at Gotham level but close to me. in short: Katrina Law as regular!

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By goonage

@the_stegman said:

Now THIS was a good episode. Shame the quality picks up so late. And I hope Thea becomes a vigilante named Speedy.

For some reason every season Arrow tends to pick up during the last 3 episodes, although "Public Enemy" was another amazing episode.

TheArchon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really do like the show but God, they should have named it Batman instead...

Avatar image for dadarkknight36310
    dadarkknight36310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeperson: it's not a batman show. When GA first appeared he started out as a 70's Batman copycat anyways with his arrow car, sidekick, and etc. He is not Batman because batman would have never killed anybody, he never would have joined Ras, also Bats kicked Ras behind.

Avatar image for dadarkknight36310
    dadarkknight36310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this show is this season as good as the first two? No, but it's still really good. I think the problem they had with this season and what I believe they will correct next season was the fact that they had to many characters with each having their own story going on. I understand them doing that because when you are doing a good job with each season you always try to go bigger and I think they went to big. They kind of got lost but what can you do when you create all these awesome characters that people start to enjoy? You do what they just did and give them a spinoff show. Also who would have thought I would have fallen in love with Nyssa and Thea's character. Heck even Laurel is awesome. Diggel from day one been awesome. I hope they can get Fecilty a character I really liked in the first two season back on track instead of given into the olicities fans and making her annoying.

DarthDanMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we start calling Dark Arrow (Oliver) Darth Oliver now please?

Avatar image for justicethorpsylocke
    justicethorpsylocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Laurel did the Canary Cry I laughed so hard. It looked silly seeing as how it's a gadget.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Good episode

Laurel was pretty cool and it´s kind wierd that she now also have Black Canary´s personality (Comics)

Nisha was also cool but she can reminds me of Birds of Prey´s Huntress (Comics) specially when she was with Laurel.

Canary Cry was cool.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AwesomePerson

@dadarkknight36310: I meant the way that Ra's wants Oliver to marry Nyssa...

Bruce and Talia anyone???

I think we should all start counting down the days until Damian Queen is introduced...

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like that Oliver is getting league training. It makes him that much more of a threat. But I'd like to see him spend a little more time in the league than one episode. Since Ra's is giving him the alpha and omega ultimatum he's going to have to make a decision soon. Then again, we did see in Flash promos Ollie dressed up in league garb helping out, so maybe he finds a way to not be brainwashed any longer? Or never was fully brainwashed in the first place? Who knows? But yes, I agree, this is too much of a Batman analogue for my liking but still a pretty good episode. 4/5

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Evil Forced Marriage. Ras is such an evil Dad, forcing his lesbian daughter into a straight marriage. That was a really cool villain move. I feel bad for Nyssa though, hopefully someone stops that marriage. They still need to kill Felecity though. Also kill Detective Lance he's outlived his usefulness. Laurel is already their inside man for the law enforcement angle. Speaking of Laurel, why is she struggling with a Thug after fighting with LOA members? The hell is that about?

Anyway, I loved the fact they gave us some real info on Damian Darhk. I have a feeling he is going to be a much better villain than Ras ever was. Also does every season of Arrow have to end with someone trying to destroy the city? I know shows like Buffy are guilty of the same thing, but shows like Supernatural & Angel avoided such silliness as having every "Big Bad" villain wanting to destroy the world/city.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very Good episode.

Anjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone else feel that the whole brainwashing thing makes the previous episodes kind of pointless? What was the point of going through all that trouble to make Ollie join the League if they were just going to brainwash him anyway? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

@dadarkknight36310: I meant the way that Ra's wants Oliver to marry Nyssa...

Bruce and Talia anyone???

I think we should all start counting down the days until Damian Queen is introduced...

I don't think that's going to happen. Maybe Damien Queen will be born in an alternate timeline, which the Flash will create. In the current timeline, Oliver already has a son, who's living with his mom in Central City.

I'm thinking that Ra's al Ghul named Talia's son, Damien from the first Ra's al Ghul, Damien Dark. I haven't read much about Ra's al Ghul comic history. Without getting spoiled, I want to see who Damien Dark really is in the show.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjon: It kind of does. Why didn't Ras just kidnap Ollie and force feed him drugs if he could brainwash him the whole time?

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_impersonator: I was just kidding...

But considering they are literally turning Ollie into Bruce, they may as well give him his son...

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pelykan

They were so morally uptight about trading in Nyssa even though she was okay with it knowing the league would never stop anyway but at the same time are totally fine killing a bunch of league goons (they got masks so why would anyone care about them right).

And seeing as the writers clearly wanted to work on Batman and not the Arrow, they could've gone with a third option for Oli to avoid joining the league. Oli could've purposely had his back broken and with that make him useless as the next Ras.

It als seems that actors on the CW get awesome contracts, it's really rare for a character to truely die and never be seen on a show again. Most of their shows magically revive characters or put them in countless flashbacks or like Shado have a random twin sister which added nothing to the show.

Jyger85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

For those wondering, yes, Damien Darhk is a character from the comics. He's a villain from The Titans.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diggles wife is hot

SuperiorBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeperson: I want you to know that your comment involving Damien Queen was brilliant.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

definitely a good episode for this season past 3 have been great.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I really liked Nyssa standing up to Ra's at the end, but I hate the whole forced marriage thing. Ugh. And I was bothered she was taken down by only 2 of the league people. She should've had a larger group fighting her. Laurel was holding her own for a while against 2, and while I love Laurel, she's no Nyssa. I'd have preferred another Oliver-Nyssa fight, with Nyssa really giving it her all because she knows she has something to fight for. Even if she still lost and got taken, it would have had more meaning than her beaten by henchmen.

On the bright side, the canary cry was pretty cool. Especially her pose as she did it. Very imposing.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diggle lasted longer against Oliver than Nyssa did. That was weird.

Snape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how things are gonna go back to normal next season after all of this happening? I mean will Ollie still be Starlings protecter after all this is over?

rollingshadow7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with the general feeling going on here - season 3 has been rather disappointing, yet these past few episodes have been picking it up. "Darth Ollie" was rather a treat for me. It was cool seeing Amell not tortured with moral decisions every single scene.

@goonage How about Black Canary?! Ah! Did you see Laurel actually get to crack a smile and once again not have to be under the duress of over-dramatized scripts?! I liked the dynamic on Nyssa and Laurel. I think it's reasonable to say that Laurel needs someone to be there for her. She's not independent, butt-whooping Laurel we've seen in Young Justice or the comics yet (and hopefully she gets there).

The fight scene was a tad disappointing - looks like Team Arrow is going to stick to ballet style. Season 4 wishlist: some new fisticuff styles please. I rolled my eyes at the premise of a wedding, but realized if this happened in the comics, the next issue would be a hilarious cover of Ollie and Nyssa at the alter.

POSSIBLE Easter Egg? -> The room where Felicity is now working out of had a transparent/plastic human head with sensors and wires attached to the cranial area. Is that alluding to or paying homage to something? Or was it still that remote override thing from Iron Man, er Atom's suit?

Comickidd77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Comickidd77

Black suit looks cool. They should keep it.

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justicethorpsylocke: True it's a bit funny with the gadget, but honestly, what person in the general population is going to know (or notice) she's wearing a device??

If I had just witnessed her sonic scream as a bystander, I would just assume her to be 'like the Flash'.

It's strange for us because we know her as a metahuman in the original stories.

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great episode but a few issues.

3 weeks is all it took to break Ollie?...Really:/

Did Nyssa even try to defeat him on that roof? Also, Nyssa didn't need to come to Laurel's rescue in that alley fight. Make sure the girl doesn't get killed yes but she wasn't exactly down for the count. If you're gonna put her through a harsh training regimen then do it. She'll be better for it in the end.

Those flashbacks and Ra's (as the 'big bad') just aren't doing it for me either.

Bring on Damien Darhk and H.I.V.E. for season 4.

IamV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great episode, though instead of Damien Queen, anyone expecting an alternative version of Connor Hawke?

DarthDanMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DarthDanMan

@awesomeperson: Well some people consider Emiko Queen to be a Damian Wayne clone.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthdanman: Perhaps you're right but appraently there is a Connor Hawke already existing...

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

-This just prove again how much they didn't care about Roy, three weeks passed between last week's episode and this one and nobody told Thea he was alive.

-I like that the writer are self-aware enough to call out how stupid it is for the characters to keep secrets from love ones.

-I somehow find Nyssa, Thea and Laurel to be the more interesting characters now.

-Ra’s is such an underwhelming big bad I am almost convince this entire season is just an elaborate ploy of his to turn his lesbian daughter straight.

3/5 I can’t wait for this LoA story line to end.

Kyle_Dornez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like this season overall, and this episode in particular. >.<

It's nice to see the Hong Kong subplot to finally connect to "present", maybe now we can finally stop these flashbacks.

Ras somewhat grew on me, but his inability to just kill some people is aggravating. I'm not sure if the "marriage" is hilarious idea, or moronic.

Even though Laurel upgraded to "canary cry" she still can't knock out two people point blank. That's the whole new level of useless, I mean what the hell, writers?

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canary Cry was pretty lame.... It just shattered some glass.
    Also, the flashback are just there because they are forced to put those in there.
    And... this season... :/

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It was definitely great to see focus on the secondary cast again. I feel like the show's attempts to take Oliver out of the picture and put focus on other characters have been lacking in the past. Here, I actually believed that they could be a functional unit with real relationships between them. That being said, there were a few weird scenes (Nyssa and Laurel at the diner, while cute, seemed a bit contrived and dopey to me). And it's a bit disappointing to see another couple of parallels between Oliver and Batman in this episode (being forced to wed and impregnate Nyssa; poison Oliver's city).

But Thea and Nyssa were really the stars of this episode. I love that Thea is finally interacting with Team Arrow and taking steps towards joining them. And something about this nearly all-female Team Arrow is just really bad ass. I hope we'll be seeing Thea in a mask soon and actually using Speedy as her alias.

I'm a bit worried that the show won't have a great excuse for keeping Roy out of the picture. His departure made sense when it happened. But with all that's happened since he left (which despite only being two episodes ago, has been a lot) I can't see how they'll justify him staying away, if even just to help them against Oliver and the League. But that's a worry for another day.

Also a shout-out to Diggle and Lyla, who were both fantastic in this episode.

And, as always, the flashbacks just kinda sucked. I like Oliver. I like Maseo. I like Tatsu. But I just cannot get into the flashbacks. It'll be nice to see present-day Tatsu as Katana next week, and will hopefully help to make the flashbacks more relevant/interesting. But even so, I'm hoping for a drastic decrease in flashbacks next season. Flash utilizes flashbacks rarely but always with purpose. Maybe Arrow could do to follow that formula. Show us Oliver's fourth year away every couple of episode WHEN IT ACTUALLY MATTERS as opposed to every episode.

8/10. Solid character episode that may have dragged in a few places, and felt a bit cliche/contrived in others. Looking forward to the next two episodes.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero:

1. It's implied that the brain-washing process isn't just something you do in an afternoon, rather a long process (in which the Ra's in training could escape or actively resist if he has enough willpower, which would probably cause problems) that lasts almost a month (Ra's mentions that Oliver has been training for at least three weeks.)

2. The reason Laurel fumbled with the thug was because she underestimated him and was surprised he had knives. She was giving him a good beating before that. Besides, Laurel still isn't that good. She got her butt whooped by two LoA mooks.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about Black Canary?! Ah! Did you see Laurel actually get to crack a smile and once again not have to be under the duress of over-dramatized scripts?! I liked the dynamic on Nyssa and Laurel. I think it's reasonable to say that Laurel needs someone to be there for her. She's not independent, butt-whooping Laurel we've seen in Young Justice or the comics yet (and hopefully she gets there).

You pretty much summed up my thoughts about Laurel's recent appearances (I'm also including her appearance in Flash.) Honestly, I think *everyone* on Arrow will benefit if the show starts aiming for a lighter tone. Not Flash happy, but with maybe only half the angst.

Also- 62 posts! Welcome to CV!

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Katrina Law is all that matters.... like I need her to marry me now

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mickey-mouse

@goonage: Ehh. He's got him chained up and using drugs. Meryln slipped Thea some drugs and had her kill a friend of the family. Sorry, it just doesn't make sense.

Laurel was beating up Thugs during the Brick storyline. Those guys had weapons.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then become the next Heir to the Demon.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:
    @redbird3rdboywonder said:

If I got to be with her, I'd set the world on fire too

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_Kidd

@the_kidd said:
    @redbird3rdboywonder said:

If I got to be with her, I'd set the world on fire too

Me too that why the League would come in handy at that time as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ab7d71f7b453
    deactivated-5ab7d71f7b453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmazz: looks like normal marrage to me lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.