SDCC 2014: Arrow Panel and Season 3 First Look

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Arrow will return this Fall and there's a lot to get excited about. New characters, new relationships, and a new backstory is just scratching the surface of what's to come. Obviously, fans are thrilled and the show's panel was packed. Well, the wait in line was worth it because Andrew Kreisberg, Marc Guggenheim, Stephen Amell, Colton Haynes, Willa Holland, David Ramsey, John Barrowman, Greg Berlanti and Paul Blackthorne took to the stage and began a fun discussion on the show's future!

No Caption Provided
    • Opens with a "special sneak peek" of the 3rd Season. Begins with lots of recap and then begins to show many of the supporting characters, Oliver's expanding relationship with Felicity, and really brief looks at Arsenal and Black Canary. And, of course, there's some teases of action-heavy scenes in the new backstory (in Hong Kong) and a few lines with Amanda Waller. Oh, and there'sa severely injured Felicity with Oliver looking down at her and Quentin's alive and wearing a captain's hat.
    • Guggenheim says all of Season 3 is already mapped out.
    • Kreisberg says Season 1 ended on such a dour note, so they wanted to shock people by giving a "happy ending" in Season 2. "In the beginning of this season everyone is enjoying the peace everyone has found. Everything is coming up Arrow."
    • Amell: "I remember sitting in this Ballroom and making a promise to the people here that we were working really hard and that the show wasn't going to suck. It sounds simple but that's what drives us everyday."
    • Holland says she's been hitting the gym more and she's not allowed to say more about it. "The Thea you saw in Season 1 and 2 is not the girl you'll see in Season 3."
    • About Diggle having a kid: "Daddy Diggle!" joked Ramsey.
    • "It's a great story point to make Diggle a father and I think the stakes have gotten high" Ramsey states about his character.
    • Writers remind fans about the upcoming The Flash/Arrow crossover event -- as you can imagine, there's a whole lot of cheering and clapping.
    • Also reminds fans that Felicty will appear in the 4th episode of The Flash.
    • "Is Starling City big enough for all of these characters?" Kreisberg says Season 3 is typically when shows bring on gamechanging characters and eventually you can't imagine the show without said characters. Originally asked for Ted Kord but DC said they have other plans for him. And you likely know by now, they went with Ray Palmer (Brandon Ruth) instead. "Will anyone point out he looks like Superman?" Additionally, he "has his eye on Felicity."
    • Big "Olicity" spoiler: they get Italian food for a dinner date! GASP!
    • Amell is asked about the date and he jokes that he can't talk about it.
    • Amell says it's "really cool having the 2nd nicest suit on the show now" after being asked about training Arsenal. Adds this dynamic allows for more sarcasm and humor from his character.
    • Kreisberg says the Hong Kong backstory is a whole new world and is really exciting. Cited using Malcom, Katana, Waller, and more and said none are potential retcons to the story.
    • "How soon until we see Thea and Roy together in a scene?" Answer: "It's going to be worth the wait. I promise."
    • Guggenheim says we'll see more of the limo scene between Thea and her father.
    • Kreisberg says whenever they have a person find out Arrow's identity, the show became easier to write. Feels other shows have focused on that and they think it's more interesting when characters can have more realistic conversations about these matters without having to hide so much.
    • "Any plans for unlikely couples?" Blackthorne says "Lance needs a lover!"
    • Question: with so many more characters appearing, who would you like to see appear on Arrow or get their own show? Kreisberg mentions they have a great relationship with Geoff Johns on The Flash, states they've been able to bring characters they want to (e.g. Firestorm, Katana).
    • Question: a young fan asks Amell to repeat the intro dialogue. Amell says "no" and the kid cries. Just kidding, he's a nice dude and happily recites it. The audience loves it and he even adds the "previously on Arrow" bit at the end.
    • Question: if you were stranded on the island, which cast member would you bring with you? Ramsey says Stephen and Stephen then says he would pick Ramsey, too. They then joke it's purely for survival! Haynes says Amell, too. Holland says she'd pick Barrowman just because he's so entertaining. "Papa Barrowman!" Blackthorne picked Nyssa al Ghul and says she looks like a very "practical" person.
    • Question: can you really shoot arrows well, Stephen? Amell confidently says he can and joked that he'd of course beat Katniss in an archery contest.
    • One of the upcoming episodes will have a flashback of Felicity at MIT. The title of the episode is "Oracle." OH, SNAP!
    No Caption Provided

Season 3 will begin October 8 on the CW.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Guys are to much reading into the Oracle title

Remember the episode titled under the hood.

Felicity is the Oracle in the group but then again I can see them doing Harley Quinn on us

gjohnston786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By gjohnston786

Katzman and everybody else, here is the trailer to Arrow season 3 from the Warren Bros. YouTube channel http://youtu.be/DfgthhsuUb8

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

That trailer is so epic. I wish I was at the Con! :(

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Roys suit would be much better if there wasn't so many laces.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Cool.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Starting to get sick of Felicity and Diggle.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Sort of a sloppy trailer but I liked it.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@allstarsuperman said:

Roys suit would be much better if there wasn't so many laces.

This ^

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

BOOM!

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Roy's costume.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

So are they renaming Starling into "Star City?" I actually wouldn't mind that, never really understand why they changed the name to begin with.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

...They wanted to shock people by giving a "happy ending" in Season 2. "In the beginning of this season everyone is enjoying the peace everyone has found. Everything is coming up Arrow."

It brings me great joy to say, suck it New 52! There can still be hope in the DC universe!

"The Thea you saw in Season 1 and 2 is not the girl you'll see in Season 3"

Is anyone else's money on her becoming Cheshire?

Oracle showing up will be cool, and Arsenal looks badass.

"You have failed this city!" Oh, good. I was worried Ollie was all done with that catchphrase.

Which just leaves one question: who will the new 'big bad' be?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So are they renaming Starling into "Star City?" I actually wouldn't mind that, never really understand why they changed the name to begin with.

I figure they had it all planned out when they added the "-ling" to it. I always wondered why they changed it too but was fine with it since it wasn't "Seattle."

"The Thea you saw in Season 1 and 2 is not the girl you'll see in Season 3"

Is anyone else's money on her becoming Cheshire?

I feel like she's going to be an evil Speedy, since Ollie has been calling her that anyway. Or possibly Arrowette? Or Artemis? But if she was Cheshire…I would not hate that at all.

Which just leaves one question: who will the new 'big bad' be?

Richard Dragon (because of the Asian dude) or Amanda Waller (+ Suicide Squad) since she held him in captivity are my guesses.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@war_killer said:

I figure they had it all planned out when they added the "-ling" to it. I always wondered why they changed it too but was fine with it since it wasn't "Seattle."

Agreed. Despite how awesome Green Arrow's current comic has been recently, I still find him operating in Seattle instead of Star City slightly annoying.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Starting to get sick of Felicity and Diggle.

I'm getting more annoyed with the potential hints of Ra's being the big bad next season and their continued insistence on flooding DC characters for the heck of it. Hey Arrow team,it's called Arrow not DC universe presents.

DoctorXander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roy's costume looks awesome.

I'm keen for more Suicide Squad appearances. Hopefully they'l expand the roster. Also Prometheus should appear someday

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead:

No. Unless Thea becomes total bad ass in scale of bad ass, she shouldnt be Cheshire. Come on Cheshire almost killed Lady Shiva and Black Canary with a posion realising air conditioning. It is like Laurel becoming Lady Shiva.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Wow. I actually really like Roy's suit.

(the actor still has the face of a dude you just wana punch though)

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bystander

Why don't they make these masks larger? You can't hide your face behind a simple domino!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Stephen Amell is a super cool guy

spidershamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is set 3 years after season 2?

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By SupBatz

All of this sounds very interesting. I'm psyched for Thea's role this season. I've been pining for her to take a big step like this since the end of season one. I'm a bit skeptical is they go the route of making her "Cheshire" or "Artemis" (as I feel those are two distinct characters that don't necessarily fit with Thea's personality and could have their own roles in the show someday). But I am absolutely on board for taking Thea in a dark direction. And I seriously cannot wait to see if she'll be suiting up this season.

Roy's costume looks pretty cool. Very leathery. Always great to see more characters suit up.

Nice to hear that Oliver won't be hogging the flashback spotlight this season. I've always been rather skeptical of the flashbacks in Arrow - most of while I feel are not very interesting. But the episodes that really make the flashbacks work tend to be those that don't center around Oliver (such as the episode with flashbacks focusing on the Lance family, or the episode about Oliver's lovechild and Moira covering it up). I'm hoping that we get to see a lot of different characters get the flashback spotlight. So far, we have confirmation that Felicity will be getting an episode of flashbacks of her time at MIT. And episode two of season three will be called "Sara", presumably featuring flashbacks involving her.

I also like the idea of moving Oliver in a more lighthearted direction (something that was said at Comic-Con but not mentioned in this article). Amell can definitely pull of the more wise-cracking, light-hearted Oliver Queen. And I appreciate the hints that they'll be moving him more in that direction.

EDIT: A nitpick, but I also like the hint that they might change the name from "Starling" City to "Star" City. That's always been a little nitpick of mine, the needless name changing. Hopefully we'll have "Green Arrow" instead of "the Arrow", too, by the end of the season.

October certainly cannot come soon enough.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#23  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

aRROw started from being just another CW show to something BIG!

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: She did say she wasn't the same girl

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead:

She could be Artemis´s sistuation. Sportmaster trains her and she use more deadly weapons like Sharp arrows. Cheshire uses poision to make her opponents weak, so that she can kill them easly, I rather see Thea with Arrows than poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead:

She will be on flashbacks, training Arrow with other skills. As well some apperances with Suicide Squad and Argus.

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By amazing_webhead

@vitalius said:

@amazingwebhead:

She could be Artemis´s sistuation. Sportmaster trains her and she use more deadly weapons like Sharp arrows. Cheshire uses poision to make her opponents weak, so that she can kill them easly, I rather see Thea with Arrows than poison

Maybe they can be poison-tipped arrows?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

Here's a very special update version of the trailer!

Loading Video...

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#32  Edited By The Impersonator

Oh man, I'm so pumped up for this. I can't wait. Jesus Christ! I really can't wait!

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Awesome

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.