Does Arkham City Batman Kill? [SPOILERS]

#1 Edited by BlackArmor (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

Just beat the penguin level and I'm kind of freaked out because Batman RIPPED SOLOMON GRUNDY"S HEART OUT (literly reached into his chest) and he seemed to have no prior knowledge of Grundy so i don't think he knew he'd come back. This version of Grundy has been sitting in penguins basement chained to a wall since before he bought the iceberg lounge and no one knew him or thought he could be alive due to how old his legend is. it stands to reason Bats never met this version of Grundy and thus dosen't or didn't know about his being immortal. Also whenever i read a comic with batman easdropping on random crimminals theres always somebody who sais "did Batman kill him?" but then someone else is like "haven't you ever gone up against the bat before? he doesn't kill how do you think the boss is still around?" the person who sais he dosen't kill wasn't there this time also he seemed willing to let Mr. Freeze ice bleed out but this was most likely a bluff. Still in this universe they've fought before and Freeze believed batman wouldlet him die

#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33084 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor: Grundy is a Zombie, he's not really alive
#3 Posted by BlackArmor (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: I'm aware but batman seemed like he didn't know that or had never incounterd Grundy. if this was, and i could be wrong, there first video game meeting batman would have not known he wasn't really alive and still chose to rip his beating heart from his chest

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33084 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

@spiderbat87: I'm aware but batman seemed like he didn't know that or had never incounterd Grundy. if this was, and i could be wrong, there first video game meeting batman would have not known he wasn't really alive and still chose to rip his beating heart from his chest

Every one in Gotham knows who Soloman Grundy is, its a children's story but it just happens to be true. Anyway you can totally tell he's a zombie by looking at him. 
#5 Posted by tiger26 (129 posts) - - Show Bio

you cant really kill somthing thats already dead he is a bit more agressive in arkham city but he doesnt kill anyone from what i have see

#6 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13005 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

Penguin mentioned Grundy being a zombie several times during the fight, plus Grundy is a urban legend in Gotham originally believed to just be a scary story . 
#7 Posted by BlackArmor (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@BlackArmor said:

Every one in Gotham knows who Soloman Grundy is, its a children's story but it just happens to be true. Anyway you can totally tell he's a zombie by looking at him.

not in this version Penguin states that Grundy has been down in a cellar since before he became a crime kingpin (no idea how long that is in the Arkham series but penguin is pretty old in the game) also in the subway if you listen to the criminals conversation none of them have ever heard of Grundy and are disbalieving of his existence. finally in the Arkham universe Grundy took his name from the nursery rime (acording to his bio) it wasn't named after him or inspired by him

#8 Posted by BlackArmor (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt: He said that you can't kill him true but why would batman believe the penguin and if Grundy is completly restrained why rip his heart out? grundy is an urban legend in the Arkham series so you could be right but still they potray it as batman's first meeting with grundy so why take the chance killing him batman used to be an urban myth himself before he was on the news live time he knows legend are exagerated people used to think he had powers so why would batman asume that everything said about grundy is true when all he has to go on is superstitous rumor and a vauge nursery rhyme

#9 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13005 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@BlackArmor said:

Every one in Gotham knows who Soloman Grundy is, its a children's story but it just happens to be true. Anyway you can totally tell he's a zombie by looking at him.

not in this version Penguin states that Grundy has been down in a cellar since before he became a crime kingpin (no idea how long that is in the Arkham series but penguin is pretty old in the game) also in the subway if you listen to the criminals conversation none of them have ever heard of Grundy and are disbalieving of his existence. finally in the Arkham universe Grundy took his name from the nursery rime (acording to his bio) it wasn't named after him or inspired by him

actually penguin only  said that grundy was in there since before he bought the Iceberg Lounge and even sothat does not mean that people have never heard of him. Grundy has been running around since the 1940's fighting Alan Scott and the JSA,  Grundy's bio also specifically states the his home is Slaughter Swamp. Its extremely reasonable to suggest that something could have happened between that time. Also, Penguin's age doesn't really have any bearing on how long he has been a crime lord, hell for all we know he's just deformed like how is is in current comics
#10 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13005 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: He said that you can't kill him true but why would batman believe the penguin and if Grundy is completly restrained why rip his heart out? grundy is an urban legend in the Arkham series so you could be right but still they potray it as batman's first meeting with grundy so why take the chance killing him batman used to be an urban myth himself before he was on the news live time he knows legend are exagerated people used to think he had powers so why would batman asume that everything said about grundy is true when all he has to go on is superstitous rumor and a vauge nursery rhyme

we still don't truly know if it was Bats first time meeting him. He could have just been suprised that a low-life gang lord would have a monster in his basement.
#11 Edited by BlackArmor (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt: True i am infering it's there first meeting but your mixing comic and game continuty we don't know if the JSA exist in the Arkham verse so we should probably igonre those apperances. i also assume no one ever heard of him because the only people to mention him in the game (outside batman and penguin) have never heard of him. i mentioned penguins age because this penguins older and has probably been a criminal and onwed the icicle lounge longer and grundy has been locked in the cellar longer than the lounge has been in buisness (not specified how much longer). still i made this thread because it's weird for batman to rip an unconsious and restriand criminals heart out we don't actually know enough about the game universe to determine if batman has ever met grundy before but we can both agree that ripping hearts out of chest isn't batman's style

EDIT: I'm not complaining i love the game and it almost makes me wish batman went around ripping out hearts i just wonder if it means that this batman is more okay with killing. the villians and robin come off a little darker so maybe batman is too

#12 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13005 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: True i am infering it's there first meeting but your mixing comic and game continuty we don't know if the JSA exist in the Arkham verse so we should probably igonre those apperances. i also assume no one ever heard of him because the only people to mention him in the game (outside batman and penguin) have never heard of him. i mentioned penguins age because this penguins older and has probably been a criminal and onwed the icicle lounge longer and grundy has been locked in the cellar longer than the lounge has been in buisness (not specified how much longer). still i made this thread because it's weird for batman to rip an unconsious and restriand criminals heart out we don't actually know enough about the game universe to determine if batman has ever met grundy before but we can both agree that ripping hearts out of chest isn't batman's style

EDIT: I'm not complaining i love the game and it almost makes me wish batman went around ripping out hearts i just wonder if it means that this batman is more okay with killing. the villians and robin come off a little darker so maybe batman is too 

I've beaten the game and i can tell you straight out. Batman is not a killer, even in the Arkhamverse. Even in the last game Batman went out of his way to exercise extreme caution. Batman having the Solomon Grundy bio proves that he has met Grundy before because the bios are downloaded straight from the bat computer.Besides even if Batman hadnt met Grundy before, what else did he have to go on? a decaying giant with dead skin who shrugs off electric shocks?  We also have no explicit proof that Penguin is any older in the game universe than he is in the regular DCU.

Batman had to rip Grundy's heart out to keep Penguins machine from reviving him.
#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33084 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

When you get to the Ras Al Ghul youl know he is not a killer 

@Avenging-X-Bolt: BTW Do you know how to start the Azreal side mission?
#14 Posted by BlackArmor (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt:

@spiderbat87:

Thanks for answering the question

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.