Follow

Arkham Asylum

Location » Arkham Asylum appears in 1361 issues.

Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane is a fictional prison that is located in Gotham City. It is where most of Batman's enemies are imprisoned for treatment.

Arkham Asylum Reborn, Good Idea Or Asking For Trouble?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided

Back in April I reviewed " Battle For The Cowl: Arkham Asylum."  We got a glimpse into Jeremiah Arkham's mind and his longing to help the poor souls that pass through his place.  With the destruction of Arkham Asylum by the new Black Mask (we still need to find out who he is), Jeremiah was determined to build a new hospital rather than another asylum.  Does anyone think he's going to succeed? 

DC has a new mini-series, Arkham Reborn (didn't see that one coming, did you?) and it's set for release on October 28.  Here's the synopsis:

Written by David Hine with interior art by Jeremy Haun, picks up after the events of BATTLE FOR THE COWL. After the Black Mask’s destruction of Arkham Asylum, Dr. Jeremiah Arkham has rebuilt the Asylum following the design of his mad uncle Amadeus. Intended as a model for enlightened treatment of mental illness, the building soon mutates into a torture house, and the inmates find themselves trapped in a living hell. And when Jeremiah starts hearing a voice from beyond the grave, it becomes painfully clear that you can’t really get rid of the crazy when it comes to Arkham Asylum.

What do you think will happen?  Are we going to see the return of Mirror Man, No-Face and Hamburger Lady?  (Good thing pages were created for them).  Do you thnk Black Mask will show up?  What about Joker?  Will Jeremiah be able to keep his own sanity or is he just fated to go bonkers?
    Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By MysterioMaximus

I think there's potential here. Honestly, I don't want Arkham to change all that much though.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

What could it change it to?

Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Watch Dog

sounds good to me.

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Calvin

Freaky cover. Freaky....

Alphaproto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Alphaproto

Black mask could destroy this one too. Just to make a point.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By johnny_spam

My brother and I always found Amadeus Arkham's story very compeling in the Arkham Asylum book and it's good to see his legacy show up again hopefully it will snap Jerimah I never thought he was all there in the first place. The only problem is that the Batvillians are suposed to be in the streets or oout in the world where the Outsiders are supposed to be hunting them and no one is suppose to have seen Joker since RIP (I'm also mad he looks the way he did before his disfuguration on the cover).

Dr. ? man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dr. ? man

Arkham has been decimated at the hands of Ra's Al Ghul, Bane and now Black Mask, I don't see the point in rebuilding a place that's destined to get blown up again. None of these inmates are ever going to be cured of anything. Aside from that, I believe the "Arkham becomes hell on Earth for the inmates" angle was already covered in Alan Grant's Shadow of the Bat.

Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By Dr. Maxwell

Love the cover, Joker, Jeremiah and Scarecrow, love the puzzle piece effect

MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @Dr. ? man said:
    "Arkham has been decimated at the hands of Ra's Al Ghul, Bane and now Black Mask, I don't see the point in rebuilding a place that's destined to get blown up again. None of these inmates are ever going to be cured of anything. Aside from that, I believe the "Arkham becomes hell on Earth for the inmates" angle was already covered in Alan Grant's Shadow of the Bat."

I just don't think Batman fans want to live in a world without an Arkham Asylum. I know I sure don't. It's the imagery of it all. It completely reinforced the German expressionistic Gothic and psychological visual theme. It's not about the practicality. It's never been about curing them. I mean, rationally...a man wouldn't dress up like a Bat and jump from rooftop to rooftop in the first place. It's about the symbolism of the Bat titles. Arkham's not all that old compared to how old the franchise has been around, but the Asylum was a hit from the get go...and it's sure a keeper IMO.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

That sounds like my house

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#11  Edited By gmanfromheck

The point of BFTC: Arkham Asylum was Jeremiah didn't want a place to throw away the crazy folk.  He wants to actually helped their poor fractured minds.  He wants a nice relaxing nurturing environment. 

Uh huh.  Sounds like a great series, yeah?  I'm sure things won't go according to his plan.  We do need a whacky fun place for the crazies.

steedthedeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By steedthedeed

arkham needs a dark feeling to it obviously.  What fun would it be if the asylum actually did cure all its patients?? we need chaos and horror.  build it underneath gotham to ease peoples mind and to set up some great action arcs.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Media_Master

That guy looks like he needs some sleep

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Bruce Vain

I'm down for this series.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15  Edited By DMC
    @Dr. ? man said:
    " Arkham has been decimated at the hands of Ra's Al Ghul, Bane and now Black Mask, I don't see the point in rebuilding a place that's destined to get blown up again.
    so where should Gotham criminals be kept? Arkham or not it doesn't matter where they are kept. there will eventually be a breakout and someone will eventually destroy it.
    1eyejoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 1eyejoker

Long as I get a taste of Joker, it'll all be good.

TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheBug
    @MysterioMaximus said:
    "@Dr. ? man said:
    "Arkham has been decimated at the hands of Ra's Al Ghul, Bane and now Black Mask, I don't see the point in rebuilding a place that's destined to get blown up again. None of these inmates are ever going to be cured of anything. Aside from that, I believe the "Arkham becomes hell on Earth for the inmates" angle was already covered in Alan Grant's Shadow of the Bat."
    I just don't think Batman fans want to live in a world without an Arkham Asylum. I know I sure don't. It's the imagery of it all. It completely reinforced the German expressionistic Gothic and psychological visual theme. It's not about the practicality. It's never been about curing them. I mean, rationally...a man wouldn't dress up like a Bat and jump from rooftop to rooftop in the first place. It's about the symbolism of the Bat titles. Arkham's not all that old compared to how old the franchise has been around, but the Asylum was a hit from the get go...and it's sure a keeper IMO. "

In a way Arkham has become a character itself, twisted and changing. Hopefully this will tap into the darker elements of Arkham, like A Serious House on Serious Earth did.
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @TheBug said:
    "@MysterioMaximus said:
    "@Dr. ? man said:
    I just don't think Batman fans want to live in a world without an Arkham Asylum. I know I sure don't. It's the imagery of it all. It completely reinforced the German expressionistic Gothic and psychological visual theme. It's not about the practicality. It's never been about curing them. I mean, rationally...a man wouldn't dress up like a Bat and jump from rooftop to rooftop in the first place. It's about the symbolism of the Bat titles. Arkham's not all that old compared to how old the franchise has been around, but the Asylum was a hit from the get go...and it's sure a keeper IMO. "

In a way Arkham has become a character itself, twisted and changing. Hopefully this will tap into the darker elements of Arkham, like A Serious House on Serious Earth did. "

Totally agree! It's not just a backdrop anymore. It has so much personality. A Serious House on Serious Earth is a masterpiece. It's actually probably my favorite Graphic Novel of all-time. I get chills just thinking about it...horrific, psychological, symbolic archtypes...everything that makes the Batman rogues the best and most iconic in history.
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Apparently Arkham is just doomed to insanity, should be an interesting mini if it's anywhere as good as the last arkham mini

Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By Dr. Maxwell
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    " Apparently Arkham is just doomed to insanity, should be an interesting mini if it's anywhere as good as the last arkham mini "
    Yeah I was real surprised by that one when I read it
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By NightFang3

A new Asylum with even more crazy villains.

Psychotime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Psychotime

I'll give it a look, but I doubt it will be very engaging.

Was Living Hell any good?

glrayner85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By glrayner85

Love the cover and was a big fan of BFTC: Arkham Asylum, This Should Be Good I'm Really looking Forward to this.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.