Follow

Ares

Character » Ares appears in 779 issues.

Ares is the son of Zeus and the Olympian God of War. After years of fighting against The Avengers, Thor, and mostly his own brother Hercules, Ares joined the ranks of the Avengers. He was a member of Tony Stark's official Avengers team and later Norman Osborn's Dark Avengers. After he attacked Osborn for tricking him in starting Siege on Asgard, he was stopped and killed by the Sentry.

What does Marvel need to do with Ares?

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kallarkz

Marvel really needs to kick this character into overdrive. Its really sad what they have done with him compared to the DC Ares and it was just depressing how they killed him in Siege by being torn in half. I took it as "This is a horrible character who can't do much of anything so we are going to kill him in the most humiliating way possible and continue with the story. Thanks."  

Ares in Marvel needs a major power upgrade, 
    Change of attitude (I would like to see him use a bit more intelligence) 
    And make him do God like feats. I would like to see Ares use a bit more magic maybe...something other than watch the God of War walk around with a AK47 and think he can take on the most dangerous characters in Marvel. I know they don't want to run the risk of making him too overpowered but i think he deserves a bit more attention.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Nova`Prime`

If you want the DC Ares why not just petition DC to put out more comics for him.

I don't understand why people constantly want Marvel's Ares to be DC's Ares, to understand the character read his miniseries where Makaboshi attacks Olympus and the Greek gods all act like Ares is the mad dog of the Pantheon and they don't want to let him lose on the battle field, its a good read and explains why the character is like he is.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kallarkz

Although seeing more of DC Ares would be pleasant since he does seem like a interesting character.....that is not what this topic is about =). 

This topic is discussing what the MARVEL Ares needs. But maybe thats a good idea that i read his mini-series and see why he is "how he is". The origin of this topic came from my distaste in how they chose to kill him in Siege as if he were insignificant in the grand scheme.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PrinceIMC

Nah, I don't mind Ares but I love Hercules and Herc and Ares will always fight. And you can't have two heroes always trying to kill each other. Ares is better as a villain in my opinion.
    Lokheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lokheit

In fact I love how Ares is written in marvel... Specially when he acts like the true god of war, he usually doesn't show too much inteligence, but he has a lot of wisdom and is an honorable fighter. His death wasn't ridicoulus, the guy that killed him also killed Loki, and I prefer this version of Ares as a character rather than the DC villian.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I like Ares, I just dont like the way Bedis writes him. His mini was a really good and thats they way he should always be presented. The thing I would like to change about him is instead of him just being uber strong would be to play up his wepon handling feats, make him unparalleled in sword fighting and the like, also it would be cool to have him get stronger the more violence that is around him so to take him down you would have to use unconventional methods.

BarelyAverage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BarelyAverage

Ares is probably one of the characters in Marvel with the most potential, He is truly a bad ass and does need a power upgrade. His abilities are inconsistently written IMO. He went toe to toe with the A-Bomb yet gets ripped in half by the Sentry. I didn't expect him to win but not get ripped in half! What is that?

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kallarkz
    @BarelyAverage said:
     He went toe to toe with the A-Bomb yet gets ripped in half by the Sentry. I didn't expect him to win but not get ripped in half! What is that? "
    Seriously. They really need something to redeem his character after that.
    Enyalios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Enyalios

They don't really need to do any type of power increase on him or anything like that.  While personally, based on mythology and the like I feel Ares would not be significantly weaker than Hercules, I can understand why they choose to make him so. 

What they need to do is get him a decent writer who is going to be consistant.  When they initially started putting him in the comics, they essentially only used Homer's version of Ares, not the Ares of Greek Mythology, and certainly not the one that evolved into the Roman myths.  With his miniseries Ares was allowed to be the God of War and not simply a foil for Hercules.  Then...well then Bendis got a hold of him and, like so many characters before him, Bendis took all the build up that had been done before, and ruined it completely.  While I hated the fact that Ares was killed off by Sentry (coincidently ANOTHER character with a decent concept destroyed by Bendis), I am looking forward to his eventual return because it can be a fresh start.

What they need to do with the character is finish what they started with him.  Allow him to evolve into the master of war and combat, that "Thor and Wolverine" combo they built him up to be before the complete let down of Might Avengers and Dark Avengers. 

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By seekquaze
    @BarelyAverage said:
    " Ares is probably one of the characters in Marvel with the most potential, He is truly a bad ass and does need a power upgrade. His abilities are inconsistently written IMO. He went toe to toe with the A-Bomb yet gets ripped in half by the Sentry. I didn't expect him to win but not get ripped in half! What is that? "
    A-bomb is possible his highest showing.  He rarely comes off looking that well against anything but the weakest opponents.   I don't think he needs a power up grade.  If they showed up more to be the weapons master he is supposed to be that would power him up enough.  Maybe give him a few other abilities like "to summon weapon from his armory" a few enchanted weapons like Hercules is using now in his "street" series or the power to enhance the weapons he has:  channel mystical energy through his ax to create energy blasts or increase its cutting power, empower his bullets so they explode on impact, things like that.
    Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Bring him back
    2. Give him an upgrade
    3. Make him live up to his title
    4. Get revenge on the Sentry if he returns
    5. Give him his own on-going showcasing all of this
    westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh? I wouldn’t mind Ares getting a powerup. Or Hercules for that matter. Better physical stats, flight, teleportation and enchanted weapons would be nice. For most of the characters history he’s been just a middling brick. Not even an Uber brick. When he’s well weitten, he can be an enjoyable character though.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Think one of Marvel's bigger problems with him is that they tamed him and made him kind of boring when they decided he was sort of retired... kinda like Kratos in GoW4, he's also reluctantly being pulled back into the fight rather than 'just' raising his son.

And another problem they face is that if they want to flex his God of War'ness it's very easy for them to fall into the pit and make a copy of DC's Ares, because a God of War can't be seen as a good guy any more.

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The last I saw Ares he was with his son Phobos in afterlife. If so, let the man be

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Why can’t a war god be seen as a good guy? Hercules, Thor and Odin all were to an extent war gods and worshipped for it. Not that I want Ares to be a good guy in any case. He was at his best in the first arc of Incredible Hercules and in Heart of Chaos IMO. A highly underrated book in my opinion.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@outside_85: Why can’t a war god be seen as a good guy? Hercules, Thor and Odin all were to an extent war gods and worshipped for it. Not that I want Ares to be a good guy in any case. He was at his best in the first arc of Incredible Hercules and in Heart of Chaos IMO. A highly underrated book in my opinion.

Thor and Hercules are not war gods, they just fight in them a lot, and more to the point, the two of them are hero gods who fight monsters on behalf of mankind. Granted Odin and Athena are both war gods, but despite both are considered good, they are also not the kind of gods you'd want to make an enemy of and neither are the sort Ares tends to be (which if you want to be nidpicking, is more a god of battle, since the Greeks had half a dozen deities and spirits to represent war as a concept).

And I suppose that's another problem Ares has, if you just make him into a fight-happy brawler who doesn't really care who he fights or for what... you are sort of making him just like Hercules and Thor.

WreckItDavey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys

Late to the party, but I'd like to say my two cent(urion)s on the matter :

I mostly agree with who says that Ares should be brought back (no, I don't count Swordmaster or War of the Realms as a ''return'' for him) and get a power up that can allow him to go toe to toe with The Sentry to get a revenge (if he returns as well). I'm not saying he should kill Sentry, but at least beating him up so bad to gain back some credibility as a character.

After that you can make him a hero, a villain, a antihero or whatever, as long as he keep that credibility. Again, I'm not suggestin he should be an OP character that ''holds back'' during fights, but he should definitly be one that even the OP characters should think twice before messing with him.

Now this beeing said, we should also consider that he is a eternal loser as stated in all of Greek mythology , however, is battle are the most epic of all. I could be fine with this if the battle he is involved are really epic, and in my P.O.V., a epic battle is one in which both the winner and the loser are bea and can barely walk home by their own. For all I have readed of Ares, never I've seeing this happens. (most of the times even in Mythology itself, but thats not the point)

Finally, I also want to address the guys who mentioned DC Ares : I think MARVEL rappresented Ares better as a warrior god. Don't get me wrong, I love DC Ares, but I see him more of a ''lucifer kinda'' character : a guy who leads into temptation those who can be usefull to his master plan, always scheaming the next move. As I stated above, Greek Mythology potrays Ares as an impation and rageful diety that yes, get defeated most of the times, but he's also the first in line with weapons in hands seeking a bloodbath. DC Ares, to me, doesen't reflects this, and its ok, he is a different take on the character that works in DC universe, but in MARVEL one, I think that the raging warrior side of Ares is better suited; He Just needs that power up that we talked about to reclaim some credibility and after that can be putted in any scenario.

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: I didn’t even realize that I never responded to this. Thor and Hercules were definitely war gods. In mythology, we often talk about the god of x, but that’s not how it actually was. Generally, gods would have various and often overlapping domains. So Thor was a weather god. He was also a war god. And he was a fertility god. And he was an agricultural god. And on and on it goes.

It would be kind of cool if Ares outfitted himself with cool gear. His sword, his axe, a shield, his pistols with hydra blood, maybe a dagger and winged sandals for flight.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.