Follow

Ares

Character » Ares appears in 779 issues.

Ares is the son of Zeus and the Olympian God of War. After years of fighting against The Avengers, Thor, and mostly his own brother Hercules, Ares joined the ranks of the Avengers. He was a member of Tony Stark's official Avengers team and later Norman Osborn's Dark Avengers. After he attacked Osborn for tricking him in starting Siege on Asgard, he was stopped and killed by the Sentry.

Is Ares an Avenger?

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By waezi2

Once an Avenger, always an Avenger, but if Ares came back, would he be considered one? And was he ever really one?

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

When he was apart of the Mighty Avengers he was great. But if he does ever come back he would be welcomed back.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By JonSmith

I doubt Cap would accept Ares' as an Avenger. Nor do I think Ares would follow the good Captain. Last I saw of him, he was a construction worker. So presumably he's retired from superhero/villain work. For a while.

As for whether or not he ever really was one, I don't consider any of the Dark Avengers the real deal. Except maybe Sentry.

Jimmie_Hudson_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith: he was a avenger before they formed the dark avengers

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By waezi2

@jonsmith said:

I doubt Cap would accept Ares' as an Avenger. Nor do I think Ares would follow the good Captain. Last I saw of him, he was a construction worker. So presumably he's retired from superhero/villain work. For a while.

Wait, he is alive?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@waezi2 said:

@jonsmith said:

Wait, he is alive?

no

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:

Wait, he is alive?

I can't remember. I've picked up and reread all kinds of old issues, so it's all kind of a blur. I want to say I read about him being a construction worker trying to provide for his son. But whether that was prior to his dismemberment by the Void or after some resurrection, I couldn't say.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HumanRocket

@jonsmith said:

@waezi2 said:

Wait, he is alive?

I can't remember. I've picked up and reread all kinds of old issues, so it's all kind of a blur. I want to say I read about him being a construction worker trying to provide for his son. But whether that was prior to his dismemberment by the Void or after some resurrection, I couldn't say.

He joined the Mighty Avengers after Civil War then he joined the Dark Avengers during Dark Reign. During the Siege of Asgard he died during the battle with Sentry after he realized the Osborn had tricked him into battle

Reveal the spoiler at your own risk

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HumanRocket

@waezi2 said:

@humanrocket: Your sure Cap would accept him?

Why wouldn't Steve let him in the team? He's allowed Black Widow, Moon Knight, Hawkeye, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch and both Hulk and Red Hulk on the team before all of which are more questionable acceptance to the team than Ares.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith: And he was a construction worker before joining the Avengers.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:

Why wouldn't Steve let him in the team? He's allowed Black Widow, Moon Knight, Hawkeye, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch and both Hulk and Red Hulk on the team before all of which are more questionable acceptance to the team than Ares.

And Sandman.

I suppose you have a point, but none of them was as bloodthirsty as Ares.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:

@humanrocket said:

@waezi2 said:

And Sandman.

Yeah, that is why Ares never worked as an avenger for me. Black Widow, Hawkeey, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Hulk and Red Hulk were never truly villainous or if they were they were not THAT evil. They each truly reformed. And as far as I know Sandman himself is a bank robber and such, but not that terrible of a person.

Then you have Ares who is so bloodthirsty his own family thinks he goes too far. Heck, he goes so far I don't think most war gods want anything to do with him. As an Avenger he had trouble following orders and reigning in his dark nature. That makes him a liability to the team. As a villain he tried to start WWIII for no other reason than laughs. He is worse than all the other reformed villains who joined the team combined. I can see plenty of reasons why Steve would not let him return to the team.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@waezi2 said:

@humanrocket said:

@waezi2 said:

And Sandman.

Yeah, that is why Ares never worked as an avenger for me. Black Widow, Hawkeey, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Hulk and Red Hulk were never truly villainous or if they were they were not THAT evil. They each truly reformed. And as far as I know Sandman himself is a bank robber and such, but not that terrible of a person.

Then you have Ares who is so bloodthirsty his own family thinks he goes too far. Heck, he goes so far I don't think most war gods want anything to do with him. As an Avenger he had trouble following orders and reigning in his dark nature. That makes him a liability to the team. As a villain he tried to start WWIII for no other reason than laughs. He is worse than all the other reformed villains who joined the team combined. I can see plenty of reasons why Steve would not let him return to the team.

Wolverine has killed every member of his family, Red Hulk assaulted the White House and tried to kill the president, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver committed terrorist attacks and the former committed genocide.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By seekquaze

@jonny_anonymous said

Wolverine has killed every member of his family, Red Hulk assaulted the White House and tried to kill the president, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver committed terrorist attacks and the former committed genocide.

From what I understand with Wolverine those instances of killing his family were not for giggles. Daken was a sociopath who had no interest in changing and would continue to target innocent people. The other instance is some group out for revenge against Wolverine trained a force of Wolverine' illegitimate children and he did not know who they were. When Wolverine kills people it is usually under specific circumstances or reasons. He does not do it for laughs. Same for Red Hulk who from what I understand truly regretted what he had done and joined the Avengers to try and redeem himself. When did Quicksilver commit genocide?

In each case Ares is different since he would do all those things and more for laughs. During him time at the Avengers he once released a dangerous weapon just to increase conflict.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He was a carpenter wasnt he? Any way he was trying to live a normal life before joining the Avengers just trying to make sure his son had a normal life. So I would say he had turned it around. He was an interesting Avenger so i think many fans would have him back. As for Steve letting him back I think he knows what an asset Ares is and would rather not disrespect the God of war by turning him away and give him at least a second chance.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 vance_astro  Moderator

When did Quicksilver commit genocide?

I think he meant Scarlet Witch committed genocide and is referencing House of M.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18 vance_astro  Moderator

You have to understand the time period in which Ares was recruited as an Avenger. The Avengers were a mess at that point. Cap & Iron Man were warring against each other, I think Iron Man was just trying to put together the most powerful team that he could, he didn't really consider backgrounds. I think he did some shady deals with villains and he helped create an android Thor clone with Skrull Hank & Reed Richards that ended up malfunctioning and causing the Avengers some real problems. If anything it would seem that Steve should have less trouble trusting Iron Man than Ares. Iron Man was is responsible for alot of really bad occurrences in the last 5-7 years.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By seekquaze

@westy206 said:

He was a carpenter wasnt he? Any way he was trying to live a normal life before joining the Avengers just trying to make sure his son had a normal life. So I would say he had turned it around. He was an interesting Avenger so i think many fans would have him back. As for Steve letting him back I think he knows what an asset Ares is and would rather not disrespect the God of war by turning him away and give him at least a second chance.

So? Once he joined the team he came across to me more as a liability than an asset. He hardly ever stops to think about his actions and the few times he used his "war god brain" it was for direct attacks anyone could have thought of. He sided with Osborn and still had great difficulty controlling his bloodlust. I think he only joined because he loves to fight and as he once said being a warrior lets him indulge his bloodlust for a sometimes worthy cause. He is hardly an asset when the likes of Hulk, Hyperion, Thor, Hercules, Wonder Man, or several others available. Frankly, given his past, unrepentant nature, and general actions on the team I cannot imagine Steve in his right mind letting him on the team. Iron Man only let him on by whitewashing his past and it did not make sense to a lot of fans. I also have not heard of Ares having that many fans so I don't think many would be eager to have him back.

I think he meant Scarlet Witch committed genocide and is referencing House of M.

How was that genocide? She depowered mutants, but did not kill them unless you want to say the act of depowering is genocide which I suppose is possible. But iirc she was mentally disturbed at the time which the same cannot be said for Ares.

You have to understand the time period in which Ares was recruited as an Avenger. The Avengers were a mess at that point. Cap & Iron Man were warring against each other, I think Iron Man was just trying to put together the most powerful team that he could, he didn't really consider backgrounds. I think he did some shady deals with villains and he helped create an android Thor clone with Skrull Hank & Reed Richards that ended up malfunctioning and causing the Avengers some real problems. If anything it would seem that Steve should have less trouble trusting Iron Man than Ares. Iron Man was is responsible for alot of really bad occurrences in the last 5-7 years.

I remember reading the Mighty Avengers story arc where Tony put together that team. I recall a funny moment in Carol states that the enemies they fight are not scared of power and Tony agrees and says with all the heroes they can choose from he wants a team with diverse talents. But in the end he formed a team composed of mainly heavy-hitters. Thor was still dead and he had alienated Hercules and some of the other heroes commonly called upon to form the avengers. They put the highly mentally unstable Sentry on the team. Ares' own past was whitewashed as the "guy who fought Hercules a few times." You are right in nearly every decision Iron Man made during that era was highly questionable.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Avengers aren't as exclusive as they used to be...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By dernman

He should be a borderline villain or straight up villain. Not hang out with the heroes. Nevertheless I don't see him returning any time soon. It seems his daughter will be taking over as the god of War.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By waezi2

@maccyd said:

The Avengers aren't as exclusive as they used to be...

Yeah, pretty much 3/4 of all the Marvel heroes are an Avenger now.

@dernman said:

He should be a borderline villain or straight up villain. Not hang out with the heroes. Nevertheless I don't see him returning any time soon. It seems his daughter will be taking over as the god of War.

... Ares has a daughter?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:
    @dernman said:

... Ares has a daughter?

No Caption Provided

Yup Hippolyta from Fearless Defenders.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Is she a good guy, bad guy or god guy?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: She's fighting with the good guys now but you can tell she's god type where it depends on her purpose.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was an Avenger.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.