Follow

Ares

Character » Ares appears in 779 issues.

Ares is the son of Zeus and the Olympian God of War. After years of fighting against The Avengers, Thor, and mostly his own brother Hercules, Ares joined the ranks of the Avengers. He was a member of Tony Stark's official Avengers team and later Norman Osborn's Dark Avengers. After he attacked Osborn for tricking him in starting Siege on Asgard, he was stopped and killed by the Sentry.

Heavily under rated or....

Vulcan786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vulcan786

well lets think about it...ares the god of WAR should be a good hero/villlain i dunno but the way marvel shows him isnt really rite for instance he should be much stronger than class 70 and the whole portrail thing i think should have been like thor as in he has a magical item in his case a massive sword (with fire around it =D) and should have made a stroner hero..his whole character i like in terms of being really bad ass but he gets taken out to easily which is what i dont like ..

Ripcord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ripcord

Maybe there's a reason that Ares is the way he is and Marvel just hasn't reveled it yet. Maybe he's turning human or something.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zee crusher

Marvel made ares some sh!t. DC however did a perfect job wtih him. The god of war is marvel just sucks really.

Vulcan786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vulcan786

unfortunatey i think your right....he should have been somethin like thor in terms of a heroic/villainous figure in the form of a god...in stead they just made him some weak ass......nevermind the powers they havent really explained much about him for him to be in the avengers i know what oyur thinking "what is their to explain he is the go of war" but come on he should be a way more ruthless person and wayyyyy stronger....im not only fixated on him being stronger but the whole idea of him being taken down so easily by ultron just isnt rite

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zee crusher

I think they should have first increased his strength. 70 tons is way to weak even wonder man is stronger then he is. They should have then gave him some special weapons. Even hercules has some special weapons and the lions skin that pertects him from all physical damage. Then they should have given him or made him some specail. Like he should have been the best at all fighting styles and been able to like plan things out 300 times faster then yada. Then he would be vicious. But marvel had to make him weak.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#6  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I really expected more from Ares. I thought they'd do him as a sort of mix between Deathstroke and Hercules. Incredible intelligence when it comes to all things combat related, a skilled martial artist and with the power to take down armies single handedly. That's not where they went though.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    Buckshot said:
    "I really expected more from Ares. I thought they'd do him as a sort of mix between Deathstroke and Hercules. Incredible intelligence when it comes to all things combat related, a skilled martial artist and with the power to take down armies single handedly. That's not where they went though.
    "
    Agreed. Isnt he the god of war? They should depict him pulling off some fighting feats the rival the best in the Marvel U (at least)
    Alpha Guard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Alpha Guard

I haven't read about Marvel's Ares, but from what I've read here, he is way too weak. I mean, sure he probably shouldn't be vastly more powerful then everyone else, but still, the god of war should be the ultimate warrior.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zee crusher

Yeah his fighting skills are crap. You would atleast expect him to have that even if he was weak. They couldn't even do that. Even when he lifted 210 tons he still lost to Thor in fighting skills.

Alpha Guard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Alpha Guard
    zee crusher said:
    "Yeah his fighting skills are crap. You would atleast expect him to have that even if he was weak. They couldn't even do that. Even when he lifted 210 tons he still lost to Thor in fighting skills."
    Well Thor's kinda like a god of war, in Norse mythology he was the main warrior of the Norse gods, so I'd think they should be about even...
    Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

#11  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator
    Gambler said:
    "Buckshot said:
    "I really expected more from Ares. I thought they'd do him as a sort of mix between Deathstroke and Hercules. Incredible intelligence when it comes to all things combat related, a skilled martial artist and with the power to take down armies single handedly. That's not where they went though.
    "
    Agreed. Isnt he the god of war? They should depict him pulling off some fighting feats the rival the best in the Marvel U (at least)
    "
     I honestly think Cap or Wolverine would make better gods of war.
    zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zee crusher
    Alpha Guard said:
    "zee crusher said:
    "Yeah his fighting skills are crap. You would atleast expect him to have that even if he was weak. They couldn't even do that. Even when he lifted 210 tons he still lost to Thor in fighting skills."
    Well Thor's kinda like a god of war, in Norse mythology he was the main warrior of the Norse gods, so I'd think they should be about even...
    "
    In that fight though it was mainly warrior skils being used. They should have atleast let ares win that. In norse mythology your right but Thor wasn't the best he got beat by a giant old women when he came to challenge the giants once lol.
    Alpha Guard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Alpha Guard
    Buckshot said:
    "Gambler said:
    "Buckshot said:
    "
    "
     I honestly think Cap or Wolverine would make better gods of war.
    "
    They probably would. After all, isn't Wolverine sometimes described as 'The best at what he does. And what he does is fight" ?
    Vulcan786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vulcan786

hope marvel will build on him...just hope

SeSAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SeSAW

In Marvel the Greeks take a big back seat to the Norse God's mostly because of Thor's popularity. But in DC things are reversed

Vulcan786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vulcan786

urmmmm what do you mean by back seat .... but back to topic ares as the god of war has just been a total let down honestly i mean guns...GUNS WTF ok he is the god of war skilled with every weapon and all that atleast make those guns f***ing powerfull, oh yh the only greek god related heroes in DC I know of are Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman and thats it (obviously ares as well) also would he make a good: hero, villain, or aniti-hero ? + what would anyone elses "ideal" ares be like in terms of character appearence and items e.t.c. ?

---just checked up on the DC one...thats much more like it in terms of power and physicial characteristics much better

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By the creator

Ares should be better than shown.

A bit of a strength upgrade would help but the best impact would be for him to be shown doing more leading in battle situations and devising even more wins (via tactics) than has been shown.
    Play up the fact that he can fight for weeks without tiring or than he regenerates from damage or that he supposed to be one of the best fighters in the Marvel Universe. Put him up gainst beings that than showcase his fighting prowess (like the Champion) and let them duel it out.

Vulcan786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vulcan786

should he be a match for thor ?

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By the creator

Well he should be a decent challenge for Hercules and thus he should be a better match up than he is for Thor. Thor (classic not current) has many other advatages because of Mjolnir but Ares in theory is a good strategist and thus should be able to play to his advantages and put Thor at a disadvanatage, on battlesfields of his chosing.

Against current Thor, with the Thor power, I find it  difficult to imagine his possing much threat at all.

Alpha Guard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Alpha Guard

All in all, Ares is just wrong.

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Mr. Wilson

I like Ares and believe Marvel is going to start giving him more face time and respect with War Machine, Hercules, and Dark Avengers.  He is even appearing in New Avengers.  I would like to see antoher mini.  I also really like his quips in Mighty Avengers.

mercster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mercster

In the Marvel proper hes been a joke so far, but I did like Greg Pak's take on him in War Machine. He's currently infected with the Ultimo virus.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By warlock360

ares' got a kid, and if you read the mini you know why he is the way he is

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By seekquaze

Overall Ares has for most of Marvel history been a b-list villain you pull out every once in a while to annoy Hercules.  DC adopted Ares from a Roman standpoint.  Marvel adopted him from  a Greek standpoint where he is at heart a bloodthirty coward.  He has always been portrayed that.  To suddenly have him kicking Hercules' butt after so long of being a mid-level threat would be too weird. 

The problem partly is that over the last few years Marvel writers have kept bragging about how great a war god Ares is at tactics and everything else, but he was never good at things like that.  His fighting styles and strategies revolve around scaring his enemy into submission, but the things he is fighting now do not scare. 

I think he should be a bit more of a direct challenge if they keep promoting him like he is.  On the other hand it would be weird if he was suddenly a lot better.  He is the type of bad ass that brags alot and bullies others when he is more powerful then you, but when someone as big or bigger then him comes up he tends to loose. 

Enyalios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Enyalios

Problem is they did not even read mythology correctly.  Ares was the god of battle and strife.  He was not liked by the Greeks, but he was still respected and feared.  People point out that Athena or Heracles beat him in battle but that's bull.  Heracles and Ares fought twice, the first time they were broken up by Zeus who refused to allow his least favorite son (Ares) to kill his favorite son (Heracles).  The second time Heracles was about to kill Ares's son and Athena distracted Ares which allowed Heracles to wound him in battle and kill Ares's son.  Diomedes wounds him because Athena guides his weapon unseen by Ares since she was wearing Hades' helmet.  And Athena never fought Ares in a pitched fight she used trickery. 
    So from that standpoint, he and Heracles should be roughly equal.  Thor on the other hand would win due to sheer power, though fighting-wise, they should also be about even. 

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Korg
    Enyalios said:
    Problem is they did not even read mythology correctly.  Ares was the god of battle and strife.  He was not ... [more]
    This is probably slightly more accurate.
    GothikKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GothikKnight

Ares is a God of War (Bloodlust).
    As MARS, Ares is the God of Rome, Farmers, and War. As Mars, Ares is well liked and worshiped by many for his expanded role.

Thor is the Norse God of War and Thunder/Storms.

Ares/Mars should be able to fight savagely and bloodily. He is not about Tactics, that is Athena's realm. Ares/mars however should be a brawler styled warrior who likes to kill, kill, kill. He should be able to hold his own against Thor. Ares/Mars does not need to as Strong as Thor to do this. Ares/mars is truely immortal as an Olympian. That is his strongest advantage vs Thor, who is a god, but not immortal.

And yes, the Greek gods in Marvel do take a back seat to Thor and the Asgardians (Aesir).

I do want to see more Olympians in the spotlight for awhile. Specially Zues, Ares, Herakles (his greek name), and possiblely a few unique Grrek/roman inspired Heroes. I do miss the Pantheon from the Hulk Comics.

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By speedlgt

I can understand that marvel wants ares to be a god of war NOT power and strength but if thats the case his tactics and war knowledge should be great than anyone! even Captain america and Ironman. also he should grow more powerful with each war that occurs thats what makes him strong. in his own right he is a powerhouse in marvel but he should be a little stronger to hang with the real powerhouses like Thor and Hulk

hes basically a wolverine & thor hybrid

Z3TR0C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Z3TR0C

I think Ares should also be taller than what the official marvel universe say, he should be at least 6'4''-6'5'' not 6'1''. he's a god so he should be bigger than a normal person.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SUNMAN

technically Ares should be weaker physically than Hercules. That said DC and marvel can @$#%$@#$@ up the original mythology all they want cause they have all these other stories and stuff that did not originally happen.

You just have to go with it. I think DC Ares  is too cliche and marvel just had no idea where to put Ares strength wise cause they have all these other heavy hitters. I would guestimate that Ares is stronger that wonderman. Thats all I know.
    Dredd Judge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dredd Judge
    @Alpha Guard:
    I'm pretty sure Frey wasthe Norse God of War. Hence the term "into the frey"
    seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By seekquaze
    @Dredd Judge said:
    " @Alpha Guard: I'm pretty sure Frey wasthe Norse God of War. Hence the term "into the frey" "
    Tyr was the Norse god of war involving things such as courage in battle, heroic glory, single combat, justice through combat, swords, etc.  Odin was the god of war who started wars and could bring about victory in battle.  

Tyr and Ares share some characteristics and both were prayed to for courage and victory in battle, but Tyr is the more respected of the two.

As to this threat, I think Ares is strong enough the way he is.  As we have seen even in his most recent mini Ares is obessed with victory through shock and awe.  He is not about tactics or anything we consider important to modern warfare.  He is not this great warrior everyone thinks of him or even a deep thinker.  I think the only thing they might need to do is  they need to improve his fighting skills some so he is not so easily defeated. 
    BatDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BatDance
    @Gambler said:
    "Agreed. Isnt he the god of war? They should depict him pulling off some fighting feats the rival the best in the Marvel U (at least) "
    Bendis never liked him
    Jk-Prodigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jk-Prodigy

he's pretty weak for the god of war,  they should at least make him strong enough to to go head to head with the hulk or hercules 

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AtPhantom
    He's not underrated. He's just not good. The fact that he should be better is a different matter.
    Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Precise

He's not underrated, but underwritten..

rein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rein

I don't think he needs to be physically stronger, just Much more skilled.

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By castleking
    he doesnt need to be stronger just better skilled and written.. the damage he could do to hulk and herc should be astronomical with just lvl 70 ton strength.. his grapple, and various combat techniques in arm and unarm combat should be staggering.. his reflexes should be above hulk's as well he is a god he should be shown with some actual superhuman speed reaction godspeed...

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#39  Edited By SC

His was great in his mini. Based on that he is underrated. Marvel did start building him up though, but like all characters, its a balancing act. Thor and Superman aren't as strong as they are because they really are that strong. It ties into how respectively they have historic reasons due to when they were created and by who they were created from, and the intent of their creators and how those things progress and evolve with time.  

Ares in recent times, has increased in popularity, enough to probably sustain more appearances which could boost his popularity even more, enough to get more minis and one shots, and even maybe one day an ongoing. When, and If, he gets an ongoing, then we can expect that Ares will start being treated more like Hercules and Thor and in Battles, you could probably put him up against Superman without it being considered spite lol

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Ares is the God of War, but that doesn't make him the God of Fighters, he has stated as such himself. He is a brawler, he is the savage dog the Olympians turn loss when they need. Granted he knows much about war fighting abilities, he isn't the God of Strategy either, that would be Athena's job. Ares is however the God of Righteous Indignation, so you can see where he gets his temper from. He is also a contradiction, he is the God of Rebellion and Civil Order, and you question why he's messed up?

Now that being said, I do wish Marvel would make him a serious hero/villain. Understandably Bendis and his ilk wanted to put over Sentry by making him rip Ares apart, but Ares should rival Thor in just about everything, with the exception of noble spirit. My biggest problem is how they almost always cow Ares in Thor's presents as if he was scared of him.

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Thor's hammmer
    @Nova`Prime`:
    thats Because Thor is half Elder God which is why he can battle against people like Zeus when othe sons of Odin who are entirely asgardian can only lift about 50 tons. If Ares was half elder god then it would make sense for him to Rival Thor in practically everything.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @Thor's hammmer: That argument has merit if Marvel actually would portray Thor as being part Elder God, but they barely touch that aspect of him. And if that was true then why don't other gods do the same thing? Or is it Ares is showing proper respect, which is totally out of character for him.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SC

Arguably Thor does get portrayed like that by Marvel, hardly any other god characters get the special treatment he has, lifting as much as he has, or moving or fast, or enduring as much. In any case, it comes back to the same reasons Hulk generally gets regarded as the strongest, and Marvel wouldn't actively try and push a more relatable character than Spider-Man at the cost of Spider-man.  

Ares would have to be half elder god, and generally be created around the same time as Thor with the same intent and subsequent popularity.  

Some of his characterization varies as well, his attitude in his mini somewhat contradicts what he said himself under Bendis. 

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Video_Martian

Ares is an assh*le.  I'm SOOO glad they killed him off...

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SC

With what you called Ares though, who is going to keep Rolly the Dog employed? Ares lack of life will caused dogs everywhere to go unemployed and die.  

Am glad they brought him back. 

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By PowerHerc

Marvel decided to promote/put the spotlight on Ares in hope of capitalizing on the 'God of War' video game.   
    They have upped his abilities:  He's depicted as a much better fighter, a more durable god and he's shown to have honor now.   
    It's my opinion that the first two make sense, but Ares suddenly becoming honorable is B.S.   
    Ares is much better as a villain and should stay one.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By HellionVulcan

Hes the most under rated God like character hes mini's are amazing thou but i don't want him a villain forever, hes beef with Hercules should've ended by now .

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best power upgrade for Ares would be either the more violence he's surrounded by increases his stats or summon he's favourite soldiers to aid him when he starts to battle like Achilles, Ajax etc.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@westy206: Summoning Achilles and Ajax would be boss

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.