Follow

Ares

Character » Ares appears in 779 issues.

Ares is the son of Zeus and the Olympian God of War. After years of fighting against The Avengers, Thor, and mostly his own brother Hercules, Ares joined the ranks of the Avengers. He was a member of Tony Stark's official Avengers team and later Norman Osborn's Dark Avengers. After he attacked Osborn for tricking him in starting Siege on Asgard, he was stopped and killed by the Sentry.

Ares Feats

gordocomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gordocomics

i've always assumed he had godly powers and abilities. maybe it's because he is a god, maybe it's because he's usually written on the same scale as people like thor and herc. now that i think about it though, i can't remember any really impressive feats aside from durability. i guess he sort of injured sentry during siege which is impressive but insignificant. don't get me wrong, i love the character and he's totally badass, but i just haven't seen any evidence of real power or ability. Does he have anything impressive that you can show me? scans would be awesome.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2  Edited By SC  Moderator

I'll give it a try in the weekend. Be careful though, Ares actually is usually written much lower than his more famous godly brothers. He doesn't really have anything that matches, Thor or Herc, he does have some call and badass feats though, I'll warm up the scanner. 

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By HellionVulcan

Ares beating A-bomb was a nice feat also his encounter with x-man in the dark x-men mini showed how awesome he was plus his battles with Hercules showed he could hang with one of the strongest beings alive .

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#4  Edited By thatlad

He lost a lot of power by choosing a mortal life to raise his son.  

Ares is a pretty big powerhouse but was treated as almost disposable by some writers. For example, when Ultron infected Tony in New Avengers and Ares attacked with his Axe forged by the gods it simply shattered like it was cinder toffee. 
    Plus until the recent what if...dark reign? It wasn't really emphasised how when the Sentry ripped Ares in half it drained a lot Sentry's power. It was a major factor in the Sentry being defeated but was barely touched on

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator

Sorry, been a bit caught up with my secret work as an interstellar gigolo to upload scans. (Was that too much info?) Will try and update now and then. 

As brought up by another poster, he was really impressive against Abomination, handing him his first sound defeat (or second, Abomb did pretty well against Rulk)  

No Caption Provided

ARES SKILL and ACCURACY might make Bullseye smile, (the same one ARES backhanded hilariously in DARK AVENGERS) takes out the fingers of cops, because he doesn't want to kill them, more concerned about finding his son.

No Caption Provided

COLOSSUS and WOLVERINE FASTBALL SPECIAL? Nah screw that, instead try a HERCULES, ARES FLAMING FASTBALL SPECIAL with a touch of GUNFIRE COMBO breeeeaka! Shows he ain't just durable, but is pretty badass too.  

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SC  Moderator

Oh and forgot, a cool ARES DURABILITY sequence, which I know, its DURABILITY, but still. Quite cool. Takes a bag of GRENADES and gets back up like it was nothing.  

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CrimsonAlchemist

he also knocked out Wonder Man which was very funny LOL

No Caption Provided
    bgibs13390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bgibs13390
    @CrimsonAlchemist said:
    " he also knocked out Wonder Man which was very funny LOL
    No Caption Provided
    "
    Haha thats awesome 
    HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HellionVulcan

Ares feats beating a-bomb ,a-bomb got in some brutal hits & it never knocked out Ares  ,stalemating skaar ,destroying buildings one hit with his axe ,Knocking out wolverine one punch ,Defeating x-man well stalemating him but he also followed X-man outta time to continue fighting him ,dunno if his mini are canon but hes defeated half the world back many many years ago during Mikaboshi first attack as Ares helped to defeat him as not even hercules could stop his army ,Ares had to do it . Ares fight with war machine  ,one shotting swamp thing , Ares rips open a portal that Eden says only he controls who goes through.  

I'm sure theres many more .

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By seekquaze

The problem with Ares is he has many down moments and few up ones.  Beating up A-bomb is probable his largest battle feat.  Most of the time writer just treated him like dumb muscle.  Ultron laughed him off.  The Hulk has crushed him with one blow twice.  Morgan La Fey turned him to stone.  He wasn't that effective against Dr. Doom.  Etc.  Gambit and Rogue bloodied him up quite a bit.  X-Man was faking at least part of his defeat.  He lacks the strength or energy powers of the heavy-hitters.  He is rarely shown using strategy besides "charge!"  And you can't show him hacking apart villains with an ax so that leaves him hacking up minions.  For a god, he has been regulated to just pretty much a brick.  If Hercules is a poor man's Thor Ares is a poor man's Hercules.  A lot of his other victories are against minor foes far below him like Man-Thing.  

His best showings tend to be when he is on his own not having to play second fiddle to anyone or when you get a writer that remembers he is a god and has a few other powers besides bricks.   Unfortunate these moments are inconsistent.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By PowerHerc

Ares lighting himself on fire and goading Hercules into throwing as far as he can into Mikaboshi's hordes is one of the most bad-ass things I've ever seenin over 35 years of reading comics.   
    It's Ares best feat/moment ever,imo.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @PowerHerc said:
    " Ares lighting himself on fire and goading Hercules into throwing as far as he can into Mikaboshi's hordes is one of the most bad-ass things I've ever seenin over 35 years of reading comics.   It's Ares best feat/moment ever,imo. "

I definitely agree it was his most badass. It was a pretty awesome feat for Hercules as well. Definitely the best fastball special in the history of comics. (Hercules actually has a few cool ones, I'm guessing you already realize to lol, his one with Namor was funny too) 
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

He didn't knock Wonder Man out.He hit him with a large rock and at class 70 that SHOULD hurt but he only knocked Wonder Man down.It's not even a feat because Wonder Man wasn't looking.

darth_fletcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By darth_fletcher
    @HellionVulcan said:
    " Ares beating A-bomb was a nice feat also his encounter with x-man in the dark x-men mini showed how awesome he was plus his battles with Hercules showed he could hang with one of the strongest beings alive . "
    ive read both stories and in dark x-men he was able to stay inside reality when x-man shifted the rest outside and his battle with herc was definitely the story that stepped his game up !!!
    Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@SC said:
    " COLOSSUS and WOLVERINE FASTBALL SPECIAL? Nah screw that, instead try a HERCULES, ARES FLAMING FASTBALL SPECIAL with a touch of GUNFIRE COMBO breeeeaka! Shows he ain't just durable, but is pretty badass too. 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    "
    Sorry dude I don't think Ares is even involved in that feat, it's just Herc throwing Cerberus, actually even if that is Ares it only shows that he has a strong resistance to pain OR that he is immune to it completely. which isn't that impressive.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @hydrabob: Thats okay, you would think that, wouldn't you? I understand and pass no personal judgement. 
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @CrimsonAlchemist said:
    " he also knocked out Wonder Man which was very funny LOL
    No Caption Provided
    "
    This isn't even a feat... 
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SC said:
    " @hydrabob: Thats okay, you would think that, wouldn't you? I understand and pass no personal judgement.  "
    it still looks cool but what I am saying when people are debating for Ares they are going to come here to look for feats and if someone brings that feat in then it will get ripped to shreds, still looks awesome though
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @hydrabob said:
    " @SC said:
    " @hydrabob: Thats okay, you would think that, wouldn't you? I understand and pass no personal judgement.  "
    it still looks cool but what I am saying when people are debating for Ares they are going to come here to look for feats and if someone brings that feat in then it will get ripped to shreds, still looks awesome though "

Who are these "people debating for Ares" and why are they looking for scans without context instead of relying on highly fine turned eastern debating methods in which to use their brain and sexual power to tantric debate?  

If its a Ares VS a common man with a common flamethrower, I know where my silver bottle caps are going on! lol 

Awesome looking feats >> Boring feats for lazy debates. *smile*
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SC: oh you know random fan boys of Ares, some people just aren't as intelligent as us and don't know how to debate so they use scans to try and prove their points but most of the time use crazy irrelevant feats.

I hope you understand what i'm trying to say.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @hydrabob: Frankly I don't understand!!!! (Nah I do lol, I get what you mean) I tend to remember Ares coolest or funniest feats 'myself' and so scans those in, hopefully some Ares fan more battle minded can come in and contrib. 
    HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HellionVulcan

I like this bit alot from savage axe of ares  & the quote is badass -  The snake takes the wind from my lungs & i realize hellbeast or not every snake needs to breathe! ....The creature is not unintelligent it knows it's in trouble . what it doesn't realize,this creature has never faced a GOD ...... I know this because until it met me ...... It Lived .

hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SC said:
    " @hydrabob: Frankly I don't understand!!!! (Nah I do lol, I get what you mean) I tend to remember Ares coolest or funniest feats 'myself' and so scans those in, hopefully some Ares fan more battle minded can come in and contrib.  "
    only feat of Ares I can think of is that he rips easy jk lol
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @hydrabob:  True, but the guy who ripped him, got knocked on his ass by She Hulk and his face blown off by his own wife. In this game, there are only losers and bigger losers lol
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Thor's hammmer

Nate Grey couldn't stop him directly (nate's TK can destroy planets) and even shifting himself out of time didn't work and Ares came after him anyway.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Caligula

No Caption Provided
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Kallarkz

i think this was a very bad way to temporarily off this character. but you have to take into account as well that Sentry is one of the most insane overpowered  characters ever made.

spiderbuck1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By spiderbuck1

that sentry debacle was nothing but PIS

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HellionVulcan
    @spiderbuck said:

" that sentry debacle was nothing but PIS "

How Many avengers ?
    How Many avengers ?
    Second rectangle ,even if Ironman was lying to persuade Ares back then sentry wasn't close to his dark avengers/siege power levels but still 5 to 6 of the most powerful Avengers to Physically take him down ,u don't hear that much ..
    seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By seekquaze
    @HellionVulcan:
    Iron Man is definitely catering to Ares's ego.  Part of the problem is several of the more powerful Avengers like Thor, Quasar or Hercules were alienated or missing at the time.  Sentry at the time could have done it on his own.  Iron Man, She Hulk or Warbird each would stand a good chance as well even though it would be much more difficult.   Ares stands the best chance against Wonder Man due to Wonder Man's lack of fighting edge.  Overall, I would say it would take maybe to...three tops on that list to take Ares down safely. 
    Epicbeast3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By Epicbeast3000

@PowerHerc: Dude how old are you, 100. U have been reading comics for 35 years.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By PowerHerc

@Epicbeast3000: I'm 43.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.