Who Here Still Reads Archie Comics?

#1 Posted by Psykhophear (251 posts) - - Show Bio

For me, I used to be a huge Archie comic book reader back in the day and would devour my entire weekend just reading them. But now, I've grown sick and tired of them because it's the same gags, jokes and pratfalls over and over again. Not only have they recycled the same plot line on the newer digest magazine but also the comic strip itself. They (the publisher) literally reused the same comic strip on the newer issues with some extra enhancement just to make it look different. Imagine DC or Marvel taking an old issue from let's say #49 and reprint it into the latest issue #105. Some say it's nice to read the old comic strip but I think it's a cheap move. 

What about you guys? Do you still read Archie Comics or have you grown tired of the gang reliving the same teenage lifestyle everyday? If you're interested, check out my other article about my current experience with Archie Comics.

#2 Posted by N7_Normandy (2411 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never read them and never will; I don't find all that melodrama stuff interesting

#3 Posted by xscarletkittie (594 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't read Archie comics anymore, but I used to pick up issues sporadically when I was a kid. I don't think it's horrible that they are reusing stories, but that's only because few people read Archie comics after a certain age. I mean, I doubt most of the people reading the reused stories now have had exposure to the originals. As for Marvel and DC... the back issues are always available and usually sought after so they can't pull that off like Archie Comics can.

#4 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5487 posts) - - Show Bio

I do still read Archie and have seen a few repeat stories that I remember from way back.  I think they are still a valid read and enjoyable for the younger crowd.  As for back issues, you can find old Archie's in any book/comic store that sells older books.  Much more accesable than DC/Marvel back issues.
#5 Posted by danhimself (22712 posts) - - Show Bio

they canceled TMNT Adventures and I was done with Archie Comics

#6 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8869 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, they have where I work. I work the nightshift so I read them every now and then to pass the time.

#7 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

I find it amazing that Archie is still a teen and in high school for literally decades. In my lifetime, I will see Archie's 100th anniversary and he'll still be a teen. He holds the record for longest lasting triangle and is the world's oldest teenager.

A person can't change Archie or he won't be the same anymore. It's a catch-22.

I find it absurd....

#8 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to read Archie Comics a lot when I was little, but I did start to lose interest in it recently, so I don't read Archie comics as much as I used to.

#9 Posted by ForgottenBeast (3 posts) - - Show Bio

It's duller than watching paint dry. I'm honestly amazed how it's still even around.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.