Follow

Archie Comics

Publisher »

Archie Comics are the publishers of the Riverdale Gang's adventures as well as Sonic.

Archie Comics Launches Kickstarter and Announces New Books with Top Talent [UPDATE]

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

[Update at the end of the article]

Archie Comics launched a Kickstarter today in order to help get a few new series or series with top talent running at the company, including JUGHEAD, BETTY & VERONICA, and LIFE WITH KEVIN. They are asking for $350,0000 in the next month in order to fund this project. Many people will be wondering why an established company would need a Kickstarter for a project like this, but the answer, straight from their Kickstarter, is pretty simple:

Archie isn't owned by a corporate behemoth. We're more like David, fighting against Goliath. The reality is that we're not Marvel or DC. We see this as a good thing. We move quickly. We take risks and we are not beholden to any paper-pushers with a profit margin to meet. The only people we answer to are you, our fans, which we love.

But the reality of publishing is what it is, and if we want to expand and bring you more of a good thing—which is what this Kickstarter is all about—we need funding. We want to bring you more great comics by the best and brightest, featuring your favorite characters. But we can't do it alone.

Chip Zdarksy's variant cover for Archie #1
    Chip Zdarksy's variant cover for Archie #1

There are lots of different levels to choose from, and every level from the $10 one and up gets you at least a copy of the brand new ARCHIE #1. The top tier levels will get you to pitch your own story to the Archie team or get you a lifetime subscription to every book from the company.

Archie Comics announced a little more information about this Kickstarter in a recent press release.

Archie Comics, the acclaimed and bestselling comic book publisher that is home to some of the best-known pop culture creations in the world, including Archie, Jughead, Betty & Veronica, Josie & The Pussycats, Sabrina the Teenage Witch and the hit AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE series, announced today that it would launch a historic crowdfunding campaign via the popular Kickstarter platform.

The Kickstarter campaign’s call to action is a simple one: Help Archie Comics build a New Riverdale. Specifically, the Kickstarter will ask fans to help fund a slate of titles that build off the surefire success of ARCHIE #1 ­­­­­— the debut issue of a new, ongoing ARCHIE series from writer Mark Waid (Daredevil, Kingdom Come) and artist Fiona Staples (Saga). The series will be crafted by some of the biggest names in the comic book industry and feature the most beloved characters in comic book history.

The three new titles, launching over the next 18 months, include:

JUGHEAD — Featuring the adventures of Archie’s hamburger-loving best friend, from acclaimed writer Chip Zdarsky (Sex Criminals, Howard the Duck) and an artist TBA. An off-the-wall series full of laughs, unexpected twists and a modern sense of humor.

BETTY AND VERONICA — Girl-next-door Betty Cooper and wealthy socialite Veronica Lodge are best friends and fiercely competitive. While they both have a history with that guy Archie, the series puts the focus squarely on them — their friendship, their high school lives and adventures beyond Riverdale. Written and drawn by comic book legend Adam Hughes (Wonder Woman, Before Watchmen: Doctor Manhattan).

Adam Hughes' variant cover for Betty & Veronica #275
    Adam Hughes' variant cover for Betty & Veronica #275

LIFE WITH KEVIN — Kevin Keller, the hugely-popular and historic character that broke new ground in Riverdale by being the first gay character in the company’s publishing history returns in a new ongoing series. Writer/artist Dan Parent (Kevin Keller) and inker J. Bone (The Spirit) tell a tale of an older, more experienced Kevin as he navigates a new city, new romance and leaving home.

sneak peek at Dan Parent's pencils and J. Bone's inks for Life with Kevin
    sneak peek at Dan Parent's pencils and J. Bone's inks for Life with Kevin

“Our fans are part of our family — they’re an integral part of everything we do,” said Archie Comics Publisher/Co-CEO Jon Goldwater. “We’re not flush with corporate cash like Marvel or DC. But we’re also not afraid to take calculated risks. With this Kickstarter, fans have the chance to get in on the ground floor of an exciting and forward-thinking initiative. Fans can help build a New Riverdale, brick-by-brick. We’ve put together a stellar lineup of titles — featuring the best and the brightest creators working on our top characters. With your help, we can make this New Riverdale a reality. The best part? This is only the beginning.”

The crowdfunding initiative marks the latest part of the company’s 75th anniversary celebration — while also marking the beginning of a new era for the long-running publisher. With the launch of ARCHIE #1 on July 8, the company will be poised to reimagine its core characters while retaining the humorous and edgy elements that made them instant sensations when they first appeared.

“When I first stepped into the Archie offices, the brand was frozen in time. The stories felt stiff and dated. That’s no longer the case,” Goldwater said. “This is a new Archie. A new Jughead. A new Betty and Veronica and a new Kevin. We’re holding onto the things that made them great — the humor, the love triangle, the friendship and youthful exuberance — but presenting them in a way that can appeal to everyone, from classic comic fans to new readers who might not know every nook and cranny of our history. Each part of this is a brick that will help build a New Riverdale. But we can only do it with your help.”

Check out the Kickstarter to help support Archie Comics.

[UPDATE]

There's been a lot of questions about why this Kickstarter is asking to raise the money when they are already an established publisher, even though, as the Kickstarter originally explained, they are not a "corporate behemith" and they've said this is about bringing these books to the masses quicker with the talent they want. In an update for those who have pledged or are thinking about pledging, Archie Comics publisher Jon Goldwater explained the situation:

We’ve gotten a lot of questions about why we’re asking for this money and what it means for these books, so to be completely transparent:

A few months back, Archie got a huge opportunity—we got the chance to set up some rack space at Target and Wal-Mart. The opportunity was unexpected but important. It also meant a diversion of resources that we did not anticipate. It’s the good kind of surprise. But it didn’t come without a price.

That being said, we knew ARCHIE #1 was going to be a huge success. How could it not be? Mark Waid + Fiona Staples + Archie!

So we wanted to maximize the opportunity and present our fans with more #NewRiverdale content, from some of the best creators out there. Minus this Kickstarter, would these books come out? Yes, eventually. But we don’t want to wait—and we don’t think our fans want to wait. Hence, this call for help in building a #NewRiverdale.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Neat

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    AlwaysBeClothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By AlwaysBeClothing

Woah Chip Zdarsky writing a Jughead solo? That should be, interesting to say the least. Very interested in seeing Adam Hughes on interior pages though I don't know if he could do that monthly!

I'll have to look into that full color sketch option at $200.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Seems sketchy. Sure they arent they giants of the industry, but they are still mainstays that have been around for decades. I serioulsy doubt they really need the help to put these books out, and could have done it if they really wanted to, but it still seems like they are trying to take advantage of the Kickstarter model. Its less of a risk for them. Kickstarter makes sense for independant creators who want to publish and distribute by themselves, but for a company to do it seems strange. Will we see Marvel and DC trying to publish smaller works that arent guaranteed to sell through Kickstarter soon?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@noj: I don't think it's sketchy at all. I backed it myself and I saw a tweet from Mat's account as well. I'm sure there's all sorts of logistics as to why they want to or have to go this route. But that's just my opinion.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@noj: I hope not. That'll be just sad.

But, I really wanna see a more mature Jughead comic though. Always like him

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Written and drawn by comic book legend Adam Hughes

Adam Hughes drawing interior pages? On a regular basis? Is.... is that even possible?

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

$350,000!

Are you ducking kidding me!!!

Seriously, this is a slap into the face of all the unknown talents who may only ask for as much as $3.500 and not getting it - such rather small amount of money. And here is poor old Archie Comics asking for 350 GRAND while telling us, in all honesty, they were David (fighting Goliath). This is nuts.

cobsohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$350,000 is not really that much money, it could be easily gotten by actual investors. But, if they kick start it that means they don't have to share the profits. They don't owe people anything but variant covers and original art. They can sit on people's money and earn interest on it instead of them. This will open the door for bigger and bigger companies to pull this too. Typical America, the rich always cry poor.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By MrMazz

I don't like am conflicted about this.I was fine with the Braff Kickstarter since he is one man trying to go outside the traditional funding bases for his film project. This is a well known long lasting corporation looking for crowd funding instead of using the traditional buisness tools for it.

Read an interview CEO Jon Goldwater

We came to Kickstarter because we didn't want to wait a few years to expand on the world writer Mark Waid and Fiona Staples were building with "Archie" #1 -- we wanted it all faster, so our fans could really experience the scope and breadth of this New Riverdale.

He continues after trying to distance himself / company as a corpation (which they are just not as big as Marvel or DC and so on).

I like Zdarksy but this isn't doing it for me. Also all their rewards are geered more towards physical rewards (prints of the comics) and the digital reward is only first issues for $20 all in PDF which cmon who likes reading comics in PDF?

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

I have lost a whole lot of respect for Archie Comics right now. The idea of a major comics company, one whose comics are more pervasive than Marvel and DC in terms of mainstream distribution (grocery stores) using Kickstarter is ridiculous in the first place. Add on to that nonsense, that these are completely standard books that are not a financial or creative risk. And finally, they can't even be honest about it, likening themselves to the biblical David. I was really excited for Archie #1, now I am seriously reconsidering that purchase.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I am super pumped for these creative teams and for the doubters do you really believe that Archie has the same kind of financial backing as Marvel/Disney and DC/WB? You may know the company but they're essentially the size of an independent publisher

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well...according to the responses on this site and the questions/comments on the Kickstarter page it seems this is not going accordingly...at least not to Mr Goldwater n Co.'s hopes.

Its a problem everyone faces once they decide to compare themselves to something or someone else, a truly double edged sword. And i think this is a prime example of it backfiring. I for one am pretty savvy with the rewards and the ideas, and as somone already pulling 4 Archie monthly titles i'll probably check all these new titles out, whether its now or months/years down the line

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

dont know if ill kickstart it or not but will pick up betty and veronica even if its only for adam hughes art

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me or are B and V looking really sexual in that pic? I mean, isn't this supposed to be read by kids?

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

All these titles look great. A+ creative teams.

Avatar image for the_greatest_username
    The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: What was wrong with what he said? They have more creative freedom and less financial backing than larger publishers. That is very true.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.