What's in store for Aquaman??? Subscriptions ending with #10.

#1 Posted by k4tzm4n (35161 posts) - - Show Bio

The current Aquaman series by writer Geoff Johns has been a huge success for DC and The New 52. Back in January the often mocked hero managed to sell more copies of his on-going than any of the competitive titles over at Marvel. That's right - Aquaman solo'd the entire Marvel Universe. So naturally, it comes as a gigantic surprise that DC Comics will end subscriptions to the book with issue 10. After that, they'll start receiving Justice League instead.

What do you think this means for Arthur's future? Should we be concerned over the long-term life span of the series, or do you think DC believes the title will sell just fine in stores and online?

Subscriptions also ending will be Justice League International, Justice League Dark, and Swamp Thing.

source: bleeding cool

Staff Online
#2 Posted by BlackArmor (6121 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns may drop the book but there's no way in hell Dc would let him end it. That being said this is weird, I really have no idea what this could signify

#3 Edited by Bleeble (44 posts) - - Show Bio

I not sure what this means, I believe Aquaman is still selling pretty well and I imagine this would hurt sales.

#4 Posted by k4tzm4n (35161 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor: Yeah, putting an end to this book wouldn't be a very wise move on their behalf. But cropping it in with other titles that aren't selling well makes me curious about the announcement.

Staff Online
#5 Posted by Mercy_ (92074 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#6 Posted by BlackArmor (6121 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Well due to the free comic book day issue we know hes not dying anytime soon, I could see Johns leaving it for another project but DC wouldn't just assume that it would stop selling, it might be a promotional issue with DC wanting to push other characters to the forefront but that would cost them money in the mean time so its unlikely. there doesn't seem to be any logical reason for this move

#7 Posted by k4tzm4n (35161 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor: @Mercy_: Yeah, I guess we'll have to wait and see :(

Staff Online
#8 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
I don't see how ending it is possible. It's been a top seller through and through and has garnered sufficient praise both from readers and critics alike.
#9 Posted by k4tzm4n (35161 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_: Exactly why this decision has me scratching my head.

Staff Online
#10 Posted by cattlebattle (12271 posts) - - Show Bio

This further proves god hates Aquaman...

#11 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this just means that Aquaman isn't selling well in subs. So they're pulling it out. Simple.

#12 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

Swamp Thing and Red Hood aren't being offered through subscription anymore either. I don't think anything is happening to the titles themselves, just something with what titles they are offering for subscription.

#13 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

My news on comics comes pretty much from Kit-Kat, Dern and some random, occaisional CVer. Seriously.

#14 Posted by k4tzm4n (35161 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: @Adnan: Yup, exactly why I have the following remark in the OP:

or do you think DC believes the title will sell just fine in stores and online?

Staff Online
#15 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright DC, you continuously attempt to confuse me and distort the nigh-perfect vision for Aquaman that has been created. Make up your damn minds...

#16 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n said:

@sethysquare: @Adnan: Yup, exactly why I have the following remark in the OP:

or do you think DC believes the title will sell just fine in stores and online?

Yeah, I was still reading your post as I posted that. My bad.

Weird decision by DC, for sure.
#17 Posted by k4tzm4n (35161 posts) - - Show Bio

@Adnan: No biggie. After all, I'm asking if you agree with any of those options in the OP :D

Staff Online
#18 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1384 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he'll do some swimming, maybe some fishing (oh wait scratch that). I think he will take to the sea and ask all the sea life what makes Namore so much more badass and interesting.

#19 Posted by k4tzm4n (35161 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

My news on comics comes pretty much from Kit-Kat, Dern and some random, occaisional CVer. Seriously.

I live to serve.

Staff Online
#20 Posted by doomsilver (643 posts) - - Show Bio

This series just proves that Aquaman is awesome! So why are they ending the substription? This is why I follow Marvel instead of DC anywhy. Except for Superboy.

#21 Edited by The_Tree (6395 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope Johns isn't pulling a "The Flash", and only writing like 12 issues until the next event comes along.

#22 Posted by Benuben (230 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

I think this just means that Aquaman isn't selling well in subs. So they're pulling it out. Simple.

You do realise Aquaman has sales comparable with Spider-Man? What the hell is "welll enough" then? 3 bilion copies per month?

#23 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

It definetely won't be cancelled, that's definete. Maybe the series will get a new writer or the story might get a bit dissapointing.

#24 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

BOO to this, Justice League sucks

#25 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Benuben said:

@sethysquare said:

You do realise Aquaman has sales comparable with Spider-Man? What the hell is "welll enough" then? 3 bilion copies per month?

in SUBS! That means SUBSCRIPTION!

You can sell a milion copies in the direct market but sell close to none in subscription. Likewise you can sell 10,000 copies in subs, but only 5k in the direct market.

#26 Posted by k4tzm4n (35161 posts) - - Show Bio

Dudebros, this is old news. It's clear they just didn't think subscriptions was a profitable option for the title.

Staff Online
#27 Posted by inferiorego (20571 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman isn't going anywhere people, calm down.

Staff
#28 Posted by Iron Fist Angel (222 posts) - - Show Bio

While I think this series is great, it's only a matter of time before sales drop off and it gets the axe. It happens with every Aquaman book - all of his series seem destined to fail. It makes being an Aquaman fan very frustrating. I have to deal with the same issue with one of my other faves Iron Fist. No matter how good his comics are, (and IIF was great), they just don't sell so well after the first several months.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.