inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Jeff Parker's run begins here! I couldn't be more excited! The toughest thing AQUAMAN fans are going to have to deal with while reading this issue is comparing it to Geoff Johns' run. Just don't do it. Parker does a pretty good job at starting his run off by going off into his own story while trying to wrap up a few loose ends in the process.

Parker brings a whole pile of fun to the table, like he does with all of his series. There's a bit of shift in tone with Parker taking over, and that's what really makes this first issue great. It's fun. We get to see Arthur fight a giant sea monster. Parker incorporates some classic comic book ideas, like fighting a giant monster, propels them into the 21st century, and adds a modern twist to them.

Artist Paul Pelletier's and/or Netho Diaz's design of this giant creature is super-cool. It has a mix of a few different sea creatures, but the overall design looks a bit like a trilobite. This leads on to a really awesome fight (battle of the week, anyone?) where Aquaman quickly realizes he's not the toughest thing in the ocean. Now the last time Aquaman tried to control something large, Topo, he ended up in a coma for six months. He tries here again and it leads to a very weird reveal page that will grip the readers and have them set for the rest of the story.

The Bad

Paul Pelletier's split art duties with Netho Diaz so the art is a bit inconsistent here. It becomes pretty apparent a few times, when Aquaman's face starts to shift and change throughout the issue. It gets to the point that the character doesn't even look like himself.

The biggest problem with the issue is a pretty obvious one. Geoff Johns left Parker at a pretty weird spot and Parker has to spend a good amount of time cleaning up Johns' mess. When I say "mess," I don't mean Johns destroyed the book, but there are some loose ends here. I like that Parker does what he can to tie up some of the loose ends while moving into his own though.

The Verdict

I truly believe that the farther we get from Johns' phenomenal run, the better this book will get. It's going to take a bit of time to adjust. All-in-all, this is a great start for Parker. He establishes his tone and his run all in one swoop. Sure, it's not going to be the smoothest transition between writers because they both have different writing styles, but I truly believe, from this issue alone, that Parker has some amazing adventures in store for the reader. Parker is a very capable and fantastic writer and he gives fans a very worthwhile read. I can't wait to see what's next. Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

Great Review

I really want to start with this series but I'm on the fence

Paul2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Art was off? It was pencilled by Netho Diaz as well as Pelletier, hence the face changes.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 inferiorego  Staff

@paul2814 said:

Art was off? It was pencilled by Netho Diaz as well as Pelletier, hence the face changes.

yeah. i missed that. changes made. thanks for the update

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 inferiorego  Staff

@flazam said:

Great Review

I really want to start with this series but I'm on the fence

Start here. It's pretty good for new readers.

Paul2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: I would have preferred it if they had done the issue half and half, instead of, what felt page by page.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 inferiorego  Staff

@paul2814 said:

@inferiorego: I would have preferred it if they had done the issue half and half, instead of, what felt page by page.

Agreed. Diaz's faces are a bit more elongated, while Pelletier has more of a boxy style. It's hard to read, page by page, when they keep switching off.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

im not at home so i wont get to read it to tomorrow, glad to know so far so good. Aquaman deserves to continue his success for a long time

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed it. I'm feeling confident about JP taking over

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm staying on board with Aquaman

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I have complete faith that this book will remain great. Parker is criminally underrated and Pelletier is always great

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By patrat18
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read the issue.

Gotta say, I don't really have any complaints with Pelletier's art. He does absolutely wonderful work on the scenary even if Aquaman's face is a little inconsistent as you say.

Really great start to the run though. I was pretty worried having not read any of Parker's work but everything seems in order.

Also, Mera launching Aquaman into the stratosphere so he can missile down onto the Karaqan? Awesome

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I didn't like this that much. I'm gonna give it 1 more issue.

Avatar image for averageinsanity
    AverageInsanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will be the first aquaman issue I've ever picked up (besides the throne of Atlantis crossover story).

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@averageinsanity said:

This will be the first aquaman issue I've ever picked up (besides the throne of Atlantis crossover story).

If you can afford it, I would highly recommend picking up the rest of the issues in trades.

I've ready every Aquaman series except for the run in the 60's and Johns' run was the best.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@theacidskull: Never read a single issue of Parker's until this one, so I can't comment.

And I'm just saying compared to all other Aquaman runs, Johns' was the best. (cept 60's since i haven't read it, but silver age writing is usually out dated at this point)

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Hope he has a good run then. This needs to last lol

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fallschirmjager
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By Lvenger

@theacidskull: Well admittedly you're not a big fan of Geoff Johns are you? :P And apparently yeah it was this good during Johns' run.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@theacidskull: Fair enough though I have yet to experience that with Bendis or Slott as of late :P

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mahzian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Aquaman was very good under John's run, not sure if it would beat Flash, Batman and Wonder Woman in my mind though, they are all very high quality in my opinion. It's a great run for the character though, I can't remember the last time when Aquaman was treated so well by fans.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#34 TDK_1997  Online

I will definitely miss Johns and everything about his run but to get on the subject - Parker is definitely a good writer who I trust but this for me was a really rocky and mediocre start.I didn't like it that much but the end got me interested.

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

Great review! I liked the issue. I think Aquaman has benefited from The New 52 reset. I was never really an Aquaman fan, but seeing him in new, uncharted waters (sorry), I've really come around. For me, this Aquaman is a lot like the Justice Aquaman by Alex Ross and Jim Krueger.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I thought this was a really great start for Parker's run. The art was a bit iffy due to the split duties but the action was great.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

This issue didn't stand out much to me. But I don't plan to quit on Aquaman after how much I've loved the previous 25 issues. The art was definitely inconsistent. And faces looked very off in places. But hopefully this will be remedied soon.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.