Aquaman #20

Posted by inferiorego (28275 posts) - - Show Bio

The Good

Aquaman hires the Others to go and find some Atlantian weapons which the Scavenger has been selling on the black market. They team up with a woman named Sky who is connected to some of the dead members of The Others.

The only thing I really got excited for was the overall concept and story in this issue. I really like the idea of The Others working for Aquaman, having to find all these Atlantian weapons and relics, even if they fall into the wrong hands. We get to see one of these weapons called "The Power Glove" (see below) and it's concept is extremely cool, which is that it can punch through any object. The Skinwalker takes it in hopes of breaking an ancient seal to command an undead army.

While Sky is the new character focus here, I found the Skinwalker much more appealing. Native American lore and mythology is not as explored in modern day comics as it should be since it's such a larger part of the United States. He had a very cool look, and I liked his simple, yet enjoyable motivation for the overall story.

The Bad

Don't let the cover fool you. This is not written by Geoff Johns and drawn by Paul Pelletier. It's written by John Ostrander, pencilled by Manuel Garcia, colored by Pete Pantazis, and inked by Sandra Hope, Rob Hunter, Ray McCarthy, and Wayne Faucher.

There is so much time spent on setting everything up that by the time we get to the final confrontation, it's over in just a few pages. A part of this problem is because the creative team is only given so much time to set up this story. The overall pacing of the book is a bit of a mess. The concept here is far too big for one issue.

Everything about this issue feels a tad rushed, whether it's the pacing of the overall book or the fact the art is inconsistent, we get a great concept that falls a bit flat. This is a solid creative team too. There are times where Garcia's art, with whoever was inking on that page, really shined. Over on the next page, the inking would wash out the pencils, and then a few pages later, faces would be strangely distorted.

I can't take an item called "The Power Glove" seriously. I grew up in the 80s, and I'm thinking of something completely different when I hear those words.

The Verdict

Hopefully, someday, The Others will have their own stand-alone book. This is a team that could pull it off. Aquaman is a consistently great book. Sure, there's been a couple bumps in the road, so far, but overall, this has been a stellar series, but this issue was a big let down. Concept-wise, this is a fantastic book that gives DC a reason to use the characters from the Others without just shoehorning them into a book because there was already a connection made between these characters and Atlantian artifacts, but the execution of the actual issue is a bit of a mess. It feels rushed, and it's inconsistent. It has a solid writer and artist, but they needed more pages to work with to make this the issue it needs to be.

#1 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8062 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Edited by The Stegman (26006 posts) - - Show Bio

Judging from what you said went on, I can understand the rating. I love the series but if it focuses entirely on "The Others'' a team I really don't care much for anyway, I'd be less than thrilled too.

#3 Posted by inferiorego (28275 posts) - - Show Bio

Judging from what you said went on, I can understand the rating. I love the series but if it focuses entirely on "The Others'' a team I really don't care much for anyway, I'd be less than thrilled too.

It's a fill in issue. I've never read a fill in that's as good as the main series or better. Most of the time, they're put together last minute.

#4 Posted by Trevel8182 (754 posts) - - Show Bio

I swear to god if Geoff Johns leaves this book but stays on shitty Justice League, I'll drop DC.

#5 Posted by QuantomMan (215 posts) - - Show Bio

I havent seen a 2 star in a long time....glad I didnt pick this up

#6 Edited by kilomac29 (323 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed this issue, but I started this series with #19, so I don't know much about "The Others." I just finished The Trench in trade and really enjoyed it, so I'm excited about the next TPB so I can learn more about "The Others." The Native American mythology was interesting, but like the review said, the setup took so long the ending felt pretty rushed.

#7 Posted by Billy Batson (58319 posts) - - Show Bio

Two stars for Ostrander?!
BB

#8 Posted by HempKnight757 (130 posts) - - Show Bio

@trevel8182: I totally agree. Well besides Batman. I'm really scared he will leave in favor of Earth 2. Which could be good, but given how up & down JL has been I would rather him not.

#9 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

Beyond pissed I pick this up :( This was really bad. I could've bought something else than this. 2 stars was generous IMO. I mean, I knew it was a filler issue but man, I didn't think it would be that bad.

#10 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the future of Aquaman after Johns leaves.

#11 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker said:

What makes you think that?

#12 Edited by Avengers_4everXX (138 posts) - - Show Bio

@hempknight757: Don't even say that. If he touches Earth 2 I am so beyond done with everything

#13 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (8032 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman getting a 2/ dayum!

#14 Posted by kennybaese (1152 posts) - - Show Bio

Every other issue people seem convinced that Johns is going to leave Aquaman, but I've literally nothing to that effect for quite some time now, so I'm a bit confused as to why.

#15 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5668 posts) - - Show Bio

Of they're doing a fill-in they should've done 2 issues. They could've told a better story and it wouldn't have been so bad. I like The Others and I'd like them to get a shot.

#16 Posted by modunhanul (415 posts) - - Show Bio

It's really that bad?

#17 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8686 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this issue essential to the rest of the story?

Because I'm not to thrilled about this one.

#18 Edited by Atomiic (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I was a little disappointed with this issue, I liked what it was trying to establish but it felt very rushed wich sucks. Id rather have something come out a couple weeks late than to have something put together last minute. This could of made a pretty good 2-3 issue arc if it was given the proper chance.

#19 Posted by cc1738 (359 posts) - - Show Bio

This sucked. I'm annoyed I wasted my money on it. I wish I had just waited until the next issue when Johns returned.

#20 Posted by bladewolf (873 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a terrible issue, but not great either. As you said, the story was rushed and since this was a fill-in issue I can understand why.

#21 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker said:

I'll have to go back and look for my source. But I read somewhere that Ostrander is favored to take over the book after Johns leaves. Think it was Bleeding Cool, but I'll post a link if I can find it.

#22 Edited by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker said:

@smashbrawler said:

@reignmaker said:

I'll have to go back and look for my source. But I read somewhere that Ostrander is favored to take over the book after Johns leaves. Think it was Bleeding Cool, but I'll post a link if I can find it.

Really? That sounds... interesting. I personally like Ostrander as a writer but I'm not sure if he'd do a good work on this title. I do think this issue is a poor indicator of how well he'd perform in this title though, as it's clearly nothing more than a rushed and somewhat pointless fill-in issue.

#23 Posted by Danial79 (2325 posts) - - Show Bio

This review reads as if I wrote it myself. I really wasn't fond of this issue, and I loved The Others when they were introduced. I thought the writing was terrible and wondered how Johns could have dropped the ball so badly, but then you mentioned that it wasn't even him, which makes me feel better about thinking that :)

#24 Posted by elkinscs (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

It's a fill in issue. I've never read a fill in that's as good as the main series or better. Most of the time, they're put together last minute.

That Mera fill-in (#6 or 7 i think?) was actually really good. but ya, this issue was a huge let down. Also, Aquaman is in it for like 3 pages. Terribly disappointing.

#25 Posted by Cakeman3000 (50 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care how many times people have said this issue was horrendous, I'll say it again. Never have I felt so betrayed. It was awful, simply awful. Johns, please don't ever stop writing Aquaman...please.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.