Why is Aquaman very unappreciated?

#1 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1493 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it his suit or something like that>

Or is it because of his incarnation in the 70"s or something?

#2 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW: Because of that stupid show Super Friends that ruined his reputation...

#3 Posted by serpent222 (319 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr.obvious said:

@RoyHarperBLOW: Because of that stupid show Super Friends that ruined his reputation...

Yeah, it really was that damned show. It is what made him a household name, at the same time.

#4 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@serpent222: He became a household name, but not for the right reasons...

#5 Posted by Joygirl (18495 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by aquaman76 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Writers didn't know how to use him. There was a perception that he talked to fish and was weak out of water. People forget that as a King, He oversaw the Atlantean Navy and was a skilled hand to hand combatant. Only a few writers from the old Justice League of America focused on his super strength. There is so much that could be done with him and I remember several JLA issues that had underwater scenes, but Aquaman wasn't included in the storyline. JLA: 105, 113, 162 just to name a few.

#7 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr.obvious said:

Yeup. Imagine if the ONLY thing being put out for years of any note about Batman was the Adam West show. Imagine if Frank Miller wrote Aquaman Returns instead of Dark Knight Returns. But it didn't happen that way so Batman is awesome and Aquaman somehow isn't.

Also, once the mockery got going, it snowballed and it became a joke just to call aquaman a joke. What's worse, some of the satire is genuinely entertaining:

@Joygirl said:

#8 Edited by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: Yeah, but you have to admit that DC never takes a chance on their characters other than Batman and Superman. And they've been doing this for years, we never got a Green Lantern movie until like, last year, and DC hasn't made a Wonder Woman or Flash movie yet. If they haven't given some of their more recognizable characters a chance at stardom yet, then why should they with Aquaman?!? Geoff Johns' new series has been trying to change that by making him more likable and awesome, but people still hate on him and say he sucks, just to fit in with the crowd... If you say to anyone that Batman sucks, they shun you and call you crazy, but if you say that Aquaman's cool they laugh at you and say he sucks... It's so hard to have your own opinions nowadays -__-

#9 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr.obvious said:

@fodigg: Yeah, but you have to admit that DC never takes a chance on their characters other than Batman and Superman. And they've been doing this for years, we never got a Green Lantern movie until like, last year, and DC hasn't made a Wonder Woman or Flash movie yet. If they haven't given some of their more recognizable characters a chance at stardom yet, then why should they with Aquaman?!? Geoff Johns' new series has been trying to change that by making him more likable and awesome, but people still hate on him and say he sucks, just to fit in with the crowd... If you say to anyone that Batman sucks, they shun you and call you crazy, but if you say that Aquaman's cool they laugh at you and say he sucks... It's so hard to have your own opinions nowadays -__-

Well, remember there was a time when the Marvel movies we were getting were basically X-Men and Spider-Man. And it wasn't until we'd seen some pretty awful films from other properties (e.g., Hulk, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Elektra, Ghost Rider) that we started seeing Marvel really doing something with their own films. After the glorious financial success of Avengers, I'm sure we'll be seeing more from DC's pantheon. Whether or not that includes Aquaman, I don't know. That said, as much as I like the 'serious' Aquaman we're getting in the new 52, and the badass hook hand aquaman from the JL cartoons--

--I do think there's value in a more lighthearted take on Aquaman. I freaking love the "outrageous" Aquaman from Batman: Brave and the Bold:

I just like the humor in that show generally:

There's value in funny Aquaman too.

#10 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: I accidentally mistook you for an Aquaman hater, I actually have way more respect for you now... :')

Don't care what haters say, AQUAMAN RULES!!!!!

#11 Posted by Ms. Omega (4403 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he smells of fish and elder berries

#12 Posted by Oni_Bane (1558 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he is all but useless unless he is near water.

#13 Posted by SmashBrawler (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@Oni_Bane said:

Wow, I'm amazed by your superior knowledge of Aquaman! Please sir, continue to share your wisdom with us! You clearly have followed this character longer than any of us here!

#14 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Oni_Bane said:

Wow, I'm amazed by your superior knowledge of Aquaman! Please sir, continue to share your wisdom with us! You clearly have followed this character longer than any of us here!

Hahaha, OWNED XD

#15 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr.obvious said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Oni_Bane said:

Hahaha, OWNED XD

You sir have my respect.

#16 Posted by SmashBrawler (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr.obvious:

@Blood1991:

Hey, I'm just admiring admiring his knowledge here. Guy sounds like a real Aquaman expert, unlike any of us noobs :P

#17 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: I have respect for you too ;)

#18 Posted by BlackWind (5507 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ms. Omega:Oh joy, another who is going along with a 30+ year old, ignorant joke. You're so witty.

#19 Posted by Oni_Bane (1558 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Oni_Bane said:

Wow, I'm amazed at what douchebag you are. Please sir, continue sharing you douchey ways. You clearly have been a douchebag longer than any of us here.

#20 Posted by SmashBrawler (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@Oni_Bane said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Oni_Bane said:

Wow, I'm amazed at what douchebag you are. Please sir, continue sharing you douchey ways. You clearly have been a douchebag longer than any of us here.

Nice! You took my comment and made a new version that attacks me (with profanity none the less)! Good work!

#21 Posted by Oni_Bane (1558 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Oni_Bane said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Oni_Bane said:

Nice! You took my comment and made a new version that attacks me (with profanity none the less)! Good work!

Thanks, it didn't take that long either. What are you five years old, douchebag is not profanity.

#22 Posted by SmashBrawler (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@Oni_Bane said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Oni_Bane said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Oni_Bane said:

Thanks, it didn't take that long either. What are you five years old, douchebag is not profanity.

Well, I don't think I'm five years old, considering the fact that I didn't go all out into insulting someone instead of looking for an intelling discussion with him. Yes, I did use sarcasm, but only because you clearly came here with the intention of irritating certain people or, at least, not looking for an actual discussion concerning the character's traits and capabilities.

#23 Posted by Oni_Bane (1558 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Oni_Bane said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Oni_Bane said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Oni_Bane said:

Well, I don't think I'm five years old, considering the fact that I didn't go all out into insulting someone instead of looking for an intelling discussion with him. Yes, I did use sarcasm, but only because you clearly came here with the intention of irritating certain people or, at least, not looking for an actual discussion concerning the character's traits and capabilities.

Not at all. I stated my opinion on the discussion, when you took it upon yourself to insult me. I had no intentions of irritating anyone but I refuse to let some nobody insult my intelligence, so feel free not to comment back since you get so butt hurt about 1 little comment.

#24 Posted by SmashBrawler (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@Oni_Bane said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Oni_Bane said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Oni_Bane said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Oni_Bane said:

Not at all. I stated my opinion on the discussion, when you took it upon yourself to insult me. I had no intentions of irritating anyone but I refuse to let some nobody insult my intelligence, so feel free not to comment back since you get so butt hurt about 1 little comment.

All right then.

#25 Posted by Dreamcast89 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

Because people who don't know what they're talking about are allowed to open their mouth. I bet you half the fools who crack aquaman jokes have never read Peter David's run or Aquaman form 2003 onwards. What's bizarre is Superfriends is ancient history yet the retarded jokes persist. The comic world needs a hero who can fill that roll of overseeing 70% of the earth and its life.

#26 Posted by CrimsonCake (2668 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dreamcast89 said:

Because people who don't know what they're talking about are allowed to open their mouth. I bet you half the fools who crack aquaman jokes have never read Peter David's run or Aquaman form 2003 onwards. What's bizarre is Superfriends is ancient history yet the retarded jokes persist. The comic world needs a hero who can fill that roll of overseeing 70% of the earth and its life.

You have no idea how correct you are. I actually saw a youtube comment where someone called Batman a "Cheap" Copy of Iron Man and get this... He also called Wonder Woman a cheap copy of Black Widow...

#27 Posted by samuel_larson_10 (283 posts) - - Show Bio

his fish speaking powers are cheesy people don't generally look past that, once you do you just get coolness

#28 Posted by geoff2005 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

probably cause he doesn't have enough exposure?

#29 Posted by BlackWind (5507 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake: Lol at Widow and Wondy having anything in common.

#30 Edited by drgnx (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he is on a team with Superman, Batman, Wonder Women, Flash, and Hal Jordan. That would suck for anyone but the Martian. Other than his solo, he gets no love. Even Cyborg looks cooler with his weapons and shown abilities in JLA in DCnU. AM reminds me of those disgraced actors who take a minor role in random movies and shows till their PR can be salvaged. I guess his crime was being in Superfriends (thanks, never knew thats why they was hated, though I personally hated his long hair, hooked hand look) ... Hope he gets his retribution very soon...

#31 Posted by geoff2005 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr.obvious said:

i really doubt a lot were even part of that generation, I know I wasn't.

I have no idea why nobody likes Aquaman, is it possible the older generation doesnt like them? or is it all generations?

#32 Posted by HigorM (3576 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by kidrob (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Pre New 52 Aquaman sucked, but Jeff Johns turned it around and made him spectacular with the new book

#34 Posted by aranido (19 posts) - - Show Bio

Agree, 70(s) did it but he is doing better now.

#35 Posted by PassionFlower (957 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked him a lot in JLU he was pretty cool and as he did Hal Jordan, Geoff Johns has reconstructed him.

#36 Posted by BlackWind (5507 posts) - - Show Bio

Again, he's not just now becoming good. He's been solid since the late 70s, and really the character jumped up with Peter David.

#37 Posted by Hit_Monkey (872 posts) - - Show Bio
Get up in Aquaman's grill & this happens.
#38 Posted by Danial79 (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hit_Monkey said:

Get up in Aquaman's grill & this happens.

That would be an awesome powermove if he appears in Injustice :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.