Why is Aquaman so hated?

Posted by nrgb2814 (116 posts) - - Show Bio

I watch alot of TV... And practically every show that mentions Aquaman, at least once, says he sucks.

What I think they should know:

1.) He can defend 75 more percent of the planet that most heroes can't.

2.) He has more powers than fish talking and water breathing

Am I missing something?

#1 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not so much hated as he is ridiculed. I love Aquaman as a character, certainly in his new book. But people find it easier to make jokes then actually look up and learn about the character.

#2 Posted by Mercy_ (92698 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman's a freaking badass.

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

What he is cool he is just easy to make fun off but when it comes to battle he will kick your ass.

#4 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

because he's aquaman. 

hell atleast namor wears a speedo to keep people interested.

#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

Because of his role in the Super Friends where he was completely useless and subsequent parodies thereof. That's where most of his mainstream exposure to non-comic fans comes from, hence the hate. The fact that a book meant to reach out to casual readers is addressing that, when no other Aquaman book has, is not a coincidence.

#6 Posted by Saren (25674 posts) - - Show Bio

Super Friends.

#7 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

Super Friends.

that damn seahorse. THAT's why people make fun of him.

#8 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

Hate isn't the word to use. Now "Laughing Stock" on the other hand......

Superhero friends DESTROYED ALL of Ms. Scales street cred. Hell, I still remember when I saw the episode where he swam upstream through a waterfall...................his feats were the equivalent of Squirrel Girl's. Complete B.S., yet effective.

#9 Posted by aliensoldier105 (488 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman being hated? not seen or heard anyone complain about that fictional character before, I might be missing out on something big here? however I have seen way too much hate against the classic superhero icon Superman, certain video game characters, heard too many unfunny jokes hinting Batman and Robin to being "gay" (perhaps due to the whole costume or "men wearing tights" and secret identity thing in the superhero genre) examples like Eminem's Without Me music video don't count, remember parody/satire is not meant to be taken literally LOL! and who can forget the old Freakazoid cartoon hahahaha

I take it you've not had a thorough look on Youtube before lad :/ some guy recently had his videos flagged to hell over his opinions about precrisis superman and supergirl vs goku and vegeta ect. multiple third party notifications for something like that doesn't really sound like the handywork of Toei/FUNimation. they usually only do that to people who upload full episodes, from experience I'd day it's more likely to be the butthurt DBZ fans crying over their lord almighty Kakarott meeting his match. and despite the fact that PC Supes undoubtedly would pwn anyone from the DB universe, and most from Marvel, the account owner openly admitted in one comment post that he doesn't even like Supes, but I guess everyone knows how overly defensive DBZ fantards can be about their precious overrated anime. so that probably doesn't matter to you as I'm sure you have more important things to contend with.

now if you excuse me I will be discussing subjects regarding psychotic religious extremists with a friend of mine, enjoy your day everyone, I hate Sundays... they're so boring but oh well, atheism and common sense ftw! :)

#10 Posted by Saren (25674 posts) - - Show Bio
@aliensoldier105 said:

Aquaman being hated? not seen or heard anyone complain about that fictional character before, I might be missing out on something big here? however I have seen way too much hate against the classic superhero icon Superman, certain video game characters, heard too many unfunny jokes hinting Batman and Robin to being "gay" (perhaps due to the whole costume or "men wearing tights" and secret identity thing in the superhero genre) examples like Eminem's Without Me music video don't count, remember parody/satire is not meant to be taken literally LOL! and who can forget the old Freakazoid cartoon hahahaha

I take it you've not had a thorough look on Youtube before lad :/ some guy recently had his videos flagged to hell over his opinions about precrisis superman and supergirl vs goku and vegeta ect. multiple third party notifications for something like that doesn't really sound like the handywork of Toei/FUNimation. they usually only do that to people who upload full episodes, from experience I'd day it's more likely to be the butthurt DBZ fans crying over their lord almighty Kakarott meeting his match. and despite the fact that PC Supes undoubtedly would pwn anyone from the DB universe, and most from Marvel, the account owner openly admitted in one comment post that he doesn't even like Supes, but I guess everyone knows how overly defensive DBZ fantards can be about their precious overrated anime. so that probably doesn't matter to you as I'm sure you have more important things to contend with.

now if you excuse me I will be discussing subjects regarding psychotic religious extremists with a friend of mine, enjoy your day everyone, I hate Sundays... they're so boring but oh well, atheism and common sense ftw! :)

What does any of this have to do with Aquaman?
#11 Posted by aliensoldier105 (488 posts) - - Show Bio

read the first sentence, I do not know why Aquaman is getting so much hate, where I live nobody even knows who that character is, so I changed the subject for the sake of extending the conversation, if you deem this irrelevant and spam then remove it if you must, otherwise chill out pal.

#12 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I grew up watching old episodes of Superfriends so I think that just ruined Aquaman for me and I just never bothered to read into him at all since then and I still consider him a useless dope...Hope I have been helpful! :D

#13 Posted by Kairan1979 (16746 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't hate Aquaman. I just prefer Namor.

#14 Posted by nrgb2814 (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks everyone! I completely forgot about the Super Friends!

#15 Posted by Billy Batson (58026 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn said:

I grew up watching old episodes of Superfriends so I think that just ruined Aquaman for me and I just never bothered to read into him at all since then and I still consider him a useless dope...Hope I have been helpful! :D

LOL
BB

#16 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

I genuinely feel he isn't used as well as he could be, even when you disregard his so-awful-it's-funny Super Friends portrayal. I mean, he's king of roughly 70% of Planet Earth, but that's not something you'd think when reading about him, is it?

#17 Posted by super_psycho (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn said:

rofl

#18 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

All blame for the Aquaman can be placed on Super Friends and as with many others the Silver age making him look varying degrees of completely stupid to bat sh*t crazy

#19 Posted by Khasm (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, super friends really destroyed aquamans image. This new series is awesome so far though, Johns is gonna make aquaman bada** again!

#20 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

Because of NAMOR the real King of atlantis.

#21 Posted by PowerHerc (84031 posts) - - Show Bio

Mostly because of the Super Friends cartoon and the fact that it's currently trendy, even in mainstream pop-culture, to hate him.

#22 Posted by StarKiller809 (1238 posts) - - Show Bio
@Glitch_Spawn: Love this
#23 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

Imperious Rex>>>

#24 Posted by RScottH08 (249 posts) - - Show Bio

i agree with most people here. 

1. because of superfriends lol which did make it easier to make fun of him than find him interesting. 
2. i do find namor way better anyways
#25 Posted by Sir_Deadpool (461 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe people dont like that underwater thing

and his water powers

they just do not deal with him. its not hate just some kind of distance

there is no comic book character who is actually hated

thats my opinion

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.