Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4624 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

Why are you an Aqua-man fan?

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By acer51

Why? what do people like about him?

not insulting him just wanna hear it from his fans.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

Because he can give people seizures just by thinking about it.

Because he's the king of 2/3's of the Earth.

Because his wife is awesome.

Because trident.

Effin' love Aquaman.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Gambit1024 said:

Because trident.

Effin' love Aquaman.

A million times this. Also, he's not afraid of killing his enemies, unlike most DC heroes

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gambit1024

@SmashBrawler said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Because trident.

Effin' love Aquaman.

A million times this. Also, he's not afraid of killing his enemies, unlike most DC heroes

That too. I love Superman, Batman and Flash, but I get a kick out of seeing Aquaman spear someone with the trident or Wonder Woman going all out.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#5  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Noble hero with an awesome shtick and mythology around him. I liked most of his costumes as well.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Gambit1024 said:

Because trident.

Effin' love Aquaman.

Let me add to it!

People s--- on him all the time and he still defends the weak and innocent. He's a hero not because he wants fame and glory but because he wants to be the best person he can be.

TheGraySon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheGraySon

@SmashBrawler said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Because trident.

Effin' love Aquaman.

Yes. Exactly these things.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By chalkshark

I grew up in a coastal town, and spent a lot of time at the beach. Playing in the ocean, it was pretty natural to pretend I was Aquaman, when I was a child. I always had a fascination with marine life, especially sharks, and here was a hero who could control it. I spent my childhood years reading books on Arthurian legend and Greek Mythology, and Aquaman combined elements of both. He was another KIng Arthur, who ruled over a mythical kingdom, and founded a fellowship of noble warriors. His God was Poseidon. Aquaman was also always growing as a character. His adventures were never stagnant. Whereas Superman, the Atom, and Green Lantern spent years... decades even... mooning over their respective love interests, Aquaman moved on Mera fast. He married her 6 months after she was introduced. They had a child a few months after that. Said child was then murdered by Aquaman's arch nemesis, Black Manta, which was just not the sort of thing you saw in comic books, at that time. His series featured some of the best artists of the day, and his was one of the first titles to feature an epic length story that ran for 9 issues. Unfortunately, after introducing such an adult concept as infanticide to, what was then considered, juvenile literature, the writers waffled very badly with the series, all but ignoring the death of Aquaman's son, for several months. The DC Implosion killed the series, and ever since then, thanks to the perception of the character fostered by the Super Friends cartoon series, every writer that took on the character in subsequent series felt the need to re-invent Aquaman, to make him seem cool to the readers. The truth is, the character was always cool. Still is. Glad he's finally getting the mainstream respect he's always deserved.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By SoA

because he is a bad@$$. the fights in his recent book with black manta are just amazing

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Gambit1024 said:

Because trident.

Effin' love Aquaman.

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By X9

Cause he's never been more interesting than he's now in the New 52... really badass

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By the_tree

Because he's a badass, and he always has been. Tell me a character his age that hasn't at one point had a cheesy time in their publication history.

Further down to the character himself, he's smart, genuinely cares, he's noble, I like his powerset, and he's got an interesting supporting cast.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @chalkshark said:

I grew up in a coastal town, and spent a lot of time at the beach. Playing in the ocean, it was pretty natural to pretend I was Aquaman, when I was a child. I always had a fascination with marine life, especially sharks, and here was a hero who could control it. I spent my childhood years reading books on Arthurian legend and Greek Mythology, and Aquaman combined elements of both. He was another KIng Arthur, who ruled over a mythical kingdom, and founded a fellowship of noble warriors. His God was Poseidon. Aquaman was also always growing as a character. His adventures were never stagnant. Whereas Superman, the Atom, and Green Lantern spent years... decades even... mooning over their respective love interests, Aquaman moved on Mera fast. He married her 6 months after she was introduced. They had a child a few months after that. Said child was then murdered by Aquaman's arch nemesis, Black Manta, which was just not the sort of thing you saw in comic books, at that time. His series featured some of the best artists of the day, and his was one of the first titles to feature an epic length story that ran for 9 issues. Unfortunately, after introducing such an adult concept as infanticide to, what was then considered, juvenile literature, the writers waffled very badly with the series, all but ignoring the death of Aquaman's son, for several months. The DC Implosion killed the series, and ever since then, thanks to the perception of the character fostered by the Super Friends cartoon series, every writer that took on the character in subsequent series felt the need to re-invent Aquaman, to make him seem cool to the readers. The truth is, the character was always cool. Still is. Glad he's finally getting the mainstream respect he's always deserved.

Zoch81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#14  Edited By Zoch81

@Gambit1024 said:

Because trident.

Effin' love Aquaman.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

@Gambit1024 said:

He can do that? His telepathy is seriously that powerful?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Blood1991

I wasn't a fan until the New 52. He was my sisters favorite, because I told her he was lame and she decided that he needed love and wasn't lame and was going to be his # 1 fangirl. So I bought the New 52 series for her to read and I myself loved it and now I too am an Aquaman fan.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gambit1024

@CrimsonAvenger said:

@Gambit1024 said:

He can do that? His telepathy is seriously that powerful?

Morrison's JLA run. He can tap into the marine-evolved part of a human's (or in this specific case, martian's) brain and give them a seizure with minimal effort.

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By serpent222

I am admittedly shaped by the new 52, but I went back and read past things afterwards. The New 52 has perfected him as a straight up badass. But I generally like his attitude compared to other heroes. There is a certain benefit to having him as a king and a hero. It produces and interesting insight into things where he looks at problems differently. But despite that, he is still a very noble and selfless hero. Plus, an epic beard and hook hand. Come on.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Twentyfive

Most people are because of Johns, whether they admit it or not.

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By serpent222

@Twentyfive: To that I say: And why on Earth shouldn't we be fans thanks to him?

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Twentyfive

@serpent222: There is no reason you shouldn't be fans thanks to him. I am a fan thanks to him. And so are most people saying they are fans of Aquaman, whether they want to admit it, or not. That is what I said in my first comment.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BlackWind

He's a noble king, patient, a nice guy, but not at all disillusioned or naive about things or people, as other heroes can be. And even though he's a benevolent being, he can hit someone with all the rage of a tsunami and not feel bad about it tomorrow. He doesn't let his people go without and he doesn't stand above his subjects, he stands with them. Aquaman's life has been crap, and he could have easily turned out like Batman, but he didn't.

One of my favorite heroes who I'll continue to defend up and down.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Video_Martian

I love Aquaman's costume, his name, his personality, his smokin' hot wife Mera, and his rogues gallery, and because he is so underrated, which I don't mind because all of my favorite characters from comics are underrated anyway :P I also liked Aquaman even before Johns' series thanks to Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.