Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4624 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

What needs to happen for Aquaman to taken seriously

Mr_Zatura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think a R rated action movie in the style of 300 would stop the public eye from assuming that he is a joke of a character

Avatar image for outlawrenegadefangirl
    OutlawRenegadeFangirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A book written by Frank Miller called The Sea King Returns.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

An R-rated action movie is totally unnecessary. A PG-13 movie is just fine for the public eye to respect him.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

The misconceptions, to me, are puzzling.

Obviously, comics are not the solution. Arthur has been a well-written character well before the reboot. The reboot just helped give Aquaman some attention within the comic-book-reading community, and help remove the ridiculous misconceptions from within.

Many people say that Aquaman got this 'rep' thanks to the Superfriends show from the 60s...well, that is just a bullshit excuse. Honestly, how many people nowadays have actually watched an episode? Why is it that other heroes that were on that show do not suffer the same ridicule as Arthur? How was Batman able to shed the skin of the campy character from that cartoon show, the Adam West Batman, and Batman and Robin?

Is it his powers? Nope. Namor, Arthur's Marvel counterpart, does not receive anywhere near as much recognition, let alone insults, as Aquaman does. If it is a misconception about his powers, why not ridicule those with no superpowers?

But what is the solution? A movie? True, part of the reason why Batman's character was taken more seriously was because of some highly acclaimed films he starred in, but what about other superheroes that have not received half as much PR as the Bat?

People that mock Arthur can't be described as being ignorant...they know nothing and do not deserve the time of day to know about Aquaman.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

A book written by Frank Miller called The Sea King Returns.

The name might catch the eye of Pokemon fans I suppose.

No Caption Provided

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By the_tree

Make a good Justice League movie, put Aquaman on the team, have him do a few badass things in it.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By SupBatz
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

He should star in a Justice League movie in which he would do cool stuff and will be useful for the team.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BlackWind

@Justthatkid: Superfriends is the fuel that started the fire. In this day and age, anyone who is 23 and under should have grown up on the Justice League cartoon. IF someone mentions Superfriends, they should be all like, "What is that?" Comics aren't the problem. Aquaman has been decent.since the Silver Age ended. And he jumped off once PAD got him. So what's the problem now? The problem is that he needs more mainstream exposure to show that the misconceptions are wrong.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its too late for him to ever be taken seriously. I actually read his series by johns and enjoy it, but Aquaman is still lame to me. You can probably blame DC and Super Friends.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By M3th

@sinestro_gl: Aquaman is DC's counterpart of Namor. Not the other way around.

On Subject: I don't think he needs to be taken seriously. Being viewed as a joke has increased his popularity. I would say he is more well known that Green Lantern, Hawkguyrl, J'onn, and can become more well known than Flash.

All he needs is to get more exposure. My friend loves Aquaman and he's never read a comic or watched a show.

I think he could become just as well known as Batman, and Superman. He's better as a underdog.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@m3th said:

Namor only had 4 stories published before Aquaman came out and the latter's debut was only 8 months after Namor's - its hardly copying. I believe Namor was also on hiatus at the time of Aquaman's debut and it was only because of Aquaman that Namor continued.

As far as topic...I agree Super friends have nothing to do with it anymore...but the Family guy joke didn't help this day and age.

Not to mention the fact so many people grew up watching Justice League and he was subbed out of the roster for Hawkgirl because they wanted another female character. So many people have preconceived notions about DC based off that cartoon.

I remember the rage induced by so many people when Green Lantern movie was coming out and GL wasn't black - they didn't know John was one of only many Green Lanterns. For many people who haven't read comics Justice League is all they know.

Personally I think Aquaman has more than enough story, lore, supporting characters (Aquaman and Mera are perhaps the most enduring CB relationship) and very relateable problems (man torn between two worlds) - for his own movie. And I think many of us DC fans would welcome a live action movie not featuring Superman or Batman. Given the dumb reluctance to get a WW movie, Green Lantern's disaster and possible upcoming Flash TV show...Aquaman may be the go-to guy.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

He's never going to be taken seriously by the mainstream and it doesn't really matter. They can have their bad family guy parodies and go watch more batman stuff.

IamTheLaw85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinestro_gl: the stigma mostly stems from shows like family guy and robot chicken fanning the old flames on a really stale joke. id give it a couple more years till the masses completely forget about the "aquaman is a joke" thing

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinestro_gl: Easy target. Batman got hella popular afrer a while so people ignore/forgot Ambiguously Gay Batman. Aquaman's lack of mainstream exposure and the popularity of Family Guy and Big Bang Theory are to blame for today.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

A series written by Geoff Johns.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Raw_Material

A new DC animated series based on Aquaman.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the_stegman  Moderator

A series won't work, a tv show won't work, as they both only reach a certain amount of people, what he needs is a REALLY good movie, one that can reach millions of people and show them that their preconceived notions about Aquaman are false. That he is a badass king, warrior and hero. That's what he needs.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A movie that isn't like 'Mercy Reef' and one by Warner Bros.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An artist, like Ivan Reis.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

A series won't work, a tv show won't work, as they both only reach a certain amount of people, what he needs is a REALLY good movie, one that can reach millions of people and show them that their preconceived notions about Aquaman are false. That he is a badass king, warrior and hero. That's what he needs.

Agreed. Movies reach audiences far and wide - especially good ones. TDK and Avengers have taught us that. Animated Series, Animated Films and even a live-action TV show (save one done by HBO with a ridiculous budget :D) isn't going to help. We need dat movie.

@iamthelaw85: @fallschirmjager: @justthatkid: @m3th:

One point I mentioned earlier is why is only Aquaman ridiculed and not anyone else?

Well...no one ridiculous Batman, Superman or Wonder Women. You just don't.

I don't think Martian Manhunter is popular enough by the main stream to get ridiculed if that makes sense.

Which leaves Green Lantern, Flash and Aquaman (as the 7 founding members of the JLA). Given that there are many GL's...picking on 1 is almost pointless - although the 2011 movie didn't help.

And to the non-comic book crowd I think Flash gets a little bit of ridiculed as Super Speed is seen as somewhat under powered to those who aren't nerds and know exactly what his powers with the Speed Force grant him...and again...there is 4 of them. Not an easy target.

Which leaves Aquaman. And given that "talking to fish" is sort of lame to people who don't geek-out about super powers like us Viners and comic fans...he makes for an easier target.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Become less of a p**sy and more heroic again.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@m3th said:

So many people have preconceived notions about DC based off that cartoon.

I hate this more than anything.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Read his New 52 series?

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better stories.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A movie could work. Give it a "Clash Of The Titans" feel to it and a good script and it would do well.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By batmannflash

A DC animated series is a great idea. But the truly best idea is a live-action movie. That way his awesomeness can reach the public eye

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

The Only way for Aqua man to be taken seriously is by either giving him his own animated TV series, or put him in a live action Justice League movie because people in general don't care for him like they do with Batman and Superman. They are the first generation of superheroes and through their actions and abilities they represent something to everyones interests. This is why they are such a cash cow that WB and DC comics are confident they'll get what they want through them. Aquaman doesn't have that sort of recognition and thus can't do that on his own. The only thing people know of Aqua man is from the Super friends series, and that was terrible in itself. And thanks to tv shows like Family Guy, Conan O' Brian, South Park and SNL, he'll always be viewed as a joke to all superheroes, just like with Robin from the Batman '66 Adam West show without ever understanding the character or what he's capable of (they see Aqua man fighting crime out of water and Robin as Batman's butt buddy). Trying to get Aqua Man have his own movie won't work either if most people don't respect him and think that it'll be terrible which will encourage them not to go see it, it'll be bad at the box office.If they have problems trying to come up doing a Wonder Woman movie, I can guarantee you they won't even bother doing so. So again, either make his own animated series making him a badass and have great series, or like what the Avengers did, introduce him within the Justice League movie and shoe him at his best moments. Nuff said.

No Caption Provided

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By batmannflash

@nerd_of_a_hero: agreed. I think the best idea (as I stated above) is a live-action movie. But not just any live-action movie. He needs to be a significant member in the Justice League movie and have a bunch of great moments. Then they could make a live action solo Aquaman movie once the public respects him more.

ViperKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Aquaman needs an animated movie, a live-action movie, an animated series, and finally a live-action series. That would be the best course of action to raise his popularity. After all, everyone can see how Green Lantern suddenly became one of the most popular characters in the comics universe. He has two animated movies, one live-action movie, and animated series. He has an entire family of titles, which is nearly as popular as Superman and Batman titles. However, Green Lantern failed to establish himself in the movie industry. This event caused him to be left behind, compared to those two characters. I'm positive we can all maintain the fact that everyone knows who Green Lantern is and what he can do.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

an animated movie, which Geoff Johns announced

then a live-action feature film or an appearance in Justice League

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

People who post articles about Aquaman (most of the time without knowing anything about the character), need to stop starting said articles with shit like "Aquaman who is considered the laughing stock..." or "Aquaman who most people consider a joke..." or etc etc.

That's all.

People need to be less on the @sshole side (which most of the writers on mainstream sites are) and more on the fan side.

It's also a good way to filter informed posters from generic hipster "I just discovered comics and need to acknowledge Super Friends and AQ sucks lulz because I know nothing about him" posters.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By warlock360

Slick back his hair a bit, dye it black, give him slanted eyes like some angry Asian and some pointy ears like Santa's helping elves. Maybe make his new make his new name start with N.... :D

Or make him go broke and to make money he has to take the job of a fisherman and sell his beloved friends with tears in his eyes, catching great amounts due to the misuse of his telepathic abilities towards them, now that I'd read :D

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DEADPOOL

@sinestro_gl said:

The misconceptions, to me, are puzzling.

Obviously, comics are not the solution. Arthur has been a well-written character well before the reboot. The reboot just helped give Aquaman some attention within the comic-book-reading community, and help remove the ridiculous misconceptions from within.

Many people say that Aquaman got this 'rep' thanks to the Superfriends show from the 60s...well, that is just a bullshit excuse. Honestly, how many people nowadays have actually watched an episode? Why is it that other heroes that were on that show do not suffer the same ridicule as Arthur? How was Batman able to shed the skin of the campy character from that cartoon show, the Adam West Batman, and Batman and Robin?

Is it his powers? Nope. Namor, Arthur's Marvel counterpart, does not receive anywhere near as much recognition, let alone insults, as Aquaman does. If it is a misconception about his powers, why not ridicule those with no superpowers?

But what is the solution? A movie? True, part of the reason why Batman's character was taken more seriously was because of some highly acclaimed films he starred in, but what about other superheroes that have not received half as much PR as the Bat?

People that mock Arthur can't be described as being ignorant...they know nothing and do not deserve the time of day to know about Aquaman.

To be fair, I've noticed that Aquaman hasn't gotten a lot of attention in the animated universe since the Superfriends either, not until the recent Flashpoint Paradox. It's that kind of stuff that's still holing him down and making people that aren't familiar with him to think poorly of him. In Justice League he fought Orm and had a good fight with Wonder Woman but got one-shotted by Superman. In JL Unlimited he beat the Wonder Twins. In Crisis on Two Earths he had a short scuffle with the evil Marvels. In Young Justice he didn't really do much of anything, especially not as much as other such as some of the other mentors like Batman, Red Tornado, etc.

@nerd_of_a_hero: agreed. I think the best idea (as I stated above) is a live-action movie. But not just any live-action movie. He needs to be a significant member in the Justice League movie and have a bunch of great moments. Then they could make a live action solo Aquaman movie once the public respects him more.

The problem though is that DC has had a run of bad luck with the live-action department, the recent Batman Begins trilogy was their best and the rest are either okay or crappy. Man of Steel definitely got many mixed views.

DC's strong point has always been their animated features for some reason. In my and many other peoples' opinions, they have been consistently good. That might be a good way to introduce the Aquaman that people need to see.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Be the "the Hulk" in JL.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.