What does he need to recover his reputation out-comics?

#1 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm always exited for Wednesday and everybody in school now it (I'm very expressive with my happiness). Then the next day a classmate asked what I read, I said Aquaman was an awesome read ... they laughed, anybody (obviously) read comics and

I asked myself, What they really have to do to return the respect and dignity of Aquaman in other media?...

#2 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

An Aquaman movie by Christopher Nolan would probably do it. Or any good director.

#3 Posted by inferiorego (22983 posts) - - Show Bio

Go back in time and murder the person who created the Super-Friends cartoon

Staff
#4 Posted by maikkywin (100 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman will always have a speedo in my eyes .

Everytime I see him, all that come of his speech bubbles are "I'm sexy and I know it."

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@maikkywin said:

Aquaman will always have a speedo in my eyes .

Everytime I see him, all that come of his speech bubbles are "I'm sexy and I know it."

@RedOwl_1: An awesome movie were Aquaman gives Superman a wedgie, steals the batmobile and beats the crap out of Optimus Prime 
#6 Posted by lady_toyano (162 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

All that rite there.

Perhaps an animated movie in the same style as Batman Year One, or at least a DC animated short where he creatively uses his powers to whoop on any baddies who takes his abilities lightly when he shows up. Then he can be all like "You want some of this to" to the onlookers who were talking smack about others getting a beat down by Aquaman. That'll start showing how boss he is.

#7 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@lady_toyano said:

@inferiorego said:

All that rite there.

Perhaps an animated movie in the same style as Batman Year One, or at least a DC animated short where he creatively uses his powers to whoop on any baddies who takes his abilities lightly when he shows up. Then he can be all like "You want some of this to" to the onlookers who were talking smack about others getting a beat down by Aquaman. That'll start showing how boss he is.

I doubt anyone will bother buying that DVD.Super Friends was very popular.I assume if they made a cartoon show that's just as popular and made Aquaman bad ass in it, the view would change, at least for kids who will eventually become comic readers.My generation is already in that group of thinking that Aquaman is a joke.Super Friends has already damaged us.
#8 Edited by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

He never had it in other media. He's been in the Timmverse style animation which most consider to be the top of the shelves, and it still didn't save his reputation outside of the readership.

Nor will the Adam West character leave Batman's image for a long time, not particularly with Hulu re-airing the series. It's not really a bad thing anyways. Aquaman is seen as silly outside

comic readers sure, but so are most comic book characters, at least in one sense or another. It doesn't mean they're also not enjoyed outside the readership either. Aquaman certainly was, so were the Wonder Twins, the long air time and fact that they're remembered to this day is a testament to that fact. Daffy Duck is a silly character, it doesn't actually mean something bad.

Added too, I'm not sure why what people who don't read comics think of comic characters matters to comic readers? They don't read comics, so they shouldn't be expected to understand comic characters in that manner by readers, nor should readers worry about what non-readers think of the medium.

#9 Posted by super_psycho (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

He needs to ride on little Pony :P

#10 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

LoL. I second this

#11 Posted by lady_toyano (162 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: If it's a DC animated movie, I know quite a few who will buy it, or at least watch just because of that (and these are folks who wont even pick up a comic) and from that all he will need is for one of those people to make a vid featuring his awesomeness and post it to the tube of you and viral Aquaman vid.

Meh... you never know.

But alas, I'm aware that this would work a bit easier with my gen and under bc I'm in the gen that thought John Stewart was the first Green Lantern (then Aquaman having a hook...). I had all my knowledge of Justice Friends Aquaman from Adult Swim skits in passing. I'd have to imagine its a whole nother mindset of uprooting if you grew up with Aquaman being the haha dude with fish powers.

Luckily I wasn't to far gone before seeing just how swanky his abilities are.

#12 Posted by Danial79 (2346 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say an animation or film would do the trick.

However, I read an article somewhere once (wish I could remember where) about why we'll never see an Aquaman or Namor film, and it came down to underwater films being very expensive to shoot, and the general moviegoer not liking underwater settings as a whole, meaning that they wouldn't make back those expensive costs.

#13 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

@super_psycho said:

He needs to ride on little Pony :P

Maybe, they are more respected that he I can say (Yes they laugh at Aquaman but see a pony and say D'aaaw, even the boys) or at least in my classroom

#14 Posted by Benuben (230 posts) - - Show Bio

The best way how make people forget something shallow and stupid, is making something else shallow and stupid. My answer: Live action movie. R-rated. F words. Mera showing boobs. Aquaman punching things every second scene. Blood. Violence. That will do.

#15 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10228 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedOwl_1 said:

I'm always exited for Wednesday and everybody in school now it (I'm very expressive with my happiness). Then the next day a classmate asked what I read, I said Aquaman was an awesome read ... they laughed, anybody (obviously) read comics and

I asked myself, What they really have to do to return the respect and dignity of Aquaman in other media?...

1: Change his image, the beard was something cool he used to have

2: Show his other powers more.

3: A new kick ass costume

#16 Posted by Kairan1979 (16723 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:

#17 Posted by daak1212 (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

HAHAHA AQUAMAN BAHAHA

#18 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

QFT!

@DeathpooltheT1000: That first costume variant is wicked!

#19 Posted by Poontanglife (66 posts) - - Show Bio

That.

But until we wait for that to happend, they should make him an animated series on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon or some other channel like those i dont know of. Then i think they should start calling him another name, now before you misunderstand me, he will still be Aquaman but he should be called by his maiden name for some time (Arthur), then they should use him in as much and as many of their popular shows, give him cameos that show how badass he is. I honestly think that he gained a lot of respect from his cameos on Justice League TAS/unlimited/ Superman TAS, they should give THAT Aquaman or someone like him his own show.

#20 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000: The first is Ok but the second is too fluffy

#21 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

go on 2 dates with wonder woman, boink her and never call her again. PLAYAH!!!

#22 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@lady_toyano said:

@Vance Astro: If it's a DC animated movie, I know quite a few who will buy it, or at least watch just because of that (and these are folks who wont even pick up a comic) and from that all he will need is for one of those people to make a vid featuring his awesomeness and post it to the tube of you and viral Aquaman vid.

Meh... you never know.

But alas, I'm aware that this would work a bit easier with my gen and under bc I'm in the gen that thought John Stewart was the first Green Lantern (then Aquaman having a hook...). I had all my knowledge of Justice Friends Aquaman from Adult Swim skits in passing. I'd have to imagine its a whole nother mindset of uprooting if you grew up with Aquaman being the haha dude with fish powers.

Luckily I wasn't to far gone before seeing just how swanky his abilities are.

I don't think alot of people bought Wonder Woman's animated movie and she's not as much of a laughing stock as "Only talks to Fish Guy".
#23 Posted by Misterwizz (198 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego:

So destroy the people who had parts in the Flintstones, Jetsons, Scooby Doo, Yogi Bear and other classic show?

#24 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

That wouldn't hurt.

He is on his way. The comic is great and word might spread. Then eventually an adaptation of him will come that the general public will see and change their minds.

#25 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10228 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedOwl_1: @Deranged Midget: Actually i made a thread about a Aquaman redesign, also the crustation armous look badass, they need to misx that one with the Young Justice one, make it less orange and make it more agressive.

If he look badass people willl notice he is a badass.

Also the armour parts of the first redesign looks more agrssive, that is what Aquaman needs.

#26 Posted by Atlantean325 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman can kill anyone he wants! Using his Trident, he cuts off heads ALL the time and don't even think twice about it. I heard that he was once eating at a diner. And when some dude dropped a spoon, he attacked the whole town. My friend said that he saw Aquaman totally uppercut some kid just because the kid looked at him the wrong way. Respect? Dignity? Now that's respect. How do you improve the image of a superhero that has telepathy, can hold his breath foreeeever and weighs in at 325 pounds. Get real....Aquaman is the #@$&!

#27 Posted by BlackArmor (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

I was going to say a good cartoon or movie but this is so much better.

#28 Posted by MrDirector786 (43511 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

#29 Posted by _Cain_ (23666 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

This and A Badass Aquaman movie.

#30 Posted by The Stegman (23918 posts) - - Show Bio

For people to stop making fun of him..for good

#31 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, he owned the entire Marvel U in January, so I'd say he's doing just fine.

#32 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Superfriends was fine. That's where I first learned about Aquaman and first learned to like him. My reaction to that cartoon was decidedly different from the one I keep hearing about all over the net. Years after the cartoon was over, when I first got wind of the meme about him being a useless hero, I was actually surprised. It never occurred to me that he was useless.

2. I can't imagine why the opinions of non-comics readers about comic book characters would be important to me. As far as I am concerned, if they choose to swim in a sea of ignorance, that's their business, not mine. If they ask for a life preserver and laugh at the one I throw them, I say let 'em drown.

#33 Posted by BloodTalon (431 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hatutzeraze said:

1. Superfriends was fine. That's where I first learned about Aquaman and first learned to like him. My reaction to that cartoon was decidedly different from the one I keep hearing about all over the net. Years after the cartoon was over, when I first got wind of the meme about him being a useless hero, I was actually surprised. It never occurred to me that he was useless.

2. I can't imagine why the opinions of non-comics readers about comic book characters would be important to me. As far as I am concerned, if they choose to swim in a sea of ignorance, that's their business, not mine. If they ask for a life preserver and laugh at the one I throw them, I say let 'em drown.

All this

#34 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hatutzeraze said:

Was that suppose to be pun?

#35 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8653 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hatutzeraze said:

Almost agreed,we need of non-comic readers,before being comic fans,we were like them, had no knowledge about any of this. What I mean is everyone has to know the character in some way so that he receives more attention and popularity,see for example now with the Avengers, he was popular but not as much as JLA,the film only brought more exposure to them, which attracted more people to their comics and many of these people were non-comic readers. We need them for the comics in general gain more attention and respect,is our duty to teach them.

#36 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7729 posts) - - Show Bio

Make more use of his other powers. Such as his super strength and skills with his trident. The 'water hand' power was badass to, should have kept that.

#37 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he used to talk to fish.

#38 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

just a clip/panel of him punching chuck norris. or batman. that is all.

#39 Edited by Wolfrazer (6472 posts) - - Show Bio
He has to beat someone, that not even Superman/Batman could beat.
#40 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, first we need to erase all evidence of Super Friend's existence. Then, we need to make a film (live action or animated. Animated preferred) adaptation of Johns's Aquaman run so far.

#41 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8810 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

#42 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8810 posts) - - Show Bio

This might also help:

#43 Posted by X9 (757 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

Haha, this!

#44 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

Just got bada$$ written all over it.

But seriously, Aquaman is finally living up to his potential in the New 52 so I say give him a solid movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.