Was Sword of Atlantis Aquaman actually the second Aquaman?

#1 Posted by Justthatkid (3811 posts) - - Show Bio

The Way I remember it was There's Arthur/Orin/Aquaman the original Aquaman, Then after him I thought it was A.J. also known as Arthur Joseph Curry like the one from sword of Atlantis, I find this confusing.

#2 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, it was confusing. Thank One Year Later. Bottom line was Orin had been turned into a squid thing but then he came back but then he died but then he was raised and they cut off his hand again but not the same hand and then REBOOT.

As always, comics alliance's excellent LBFA! presents COMICS, EVERYBODY! series does an excellent job of breaking it down:

To be fair, the Sub Diego storyline hate is totally undeserved. That was great stuff, then One Year Later killed it.

#3 Edited by Justthatkid (3811 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: This just made me more confused :( Isn't Atlan and Atlanna Blonde? Kordax was Aquaman's Mentor? and Mera vomiting all over people? Oh and what issue does Black Lantern Aquababy appear in? Also what about netherspace was that the dimension Mera was stuck in?.?

#4 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: This just made me more confused :( Isn't Atlan and Atlanna Blonde? Kordax was Aquaman's Mentor? and Mera vomiting all over people? Oh and what issue does Black Lantern Aquababy appear in? Also what about netherspace was that the dimension Mera was stuck in?.?

Yup. Crazy stuff.

#5 Edited by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid: Arthur Joseph Curry appeared during the aftermath of Infinite Crisis as an alternate version of the original Aquaman. When Superboy destroyed Lex Luthor's device to recreate the mutli-universe, it resulted in all Earths emerging into what we know as New Earth. Arthur Joseph Curry was thrown into this "New Earth" as the successor (substitute) to Aquaman after his disappearance during Infinite Crisis. He is shown in the One Year Later storyline and was the Aquaman in Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis. However, in this storyline the Dweller-of-the-Depths tells him of his future, which seems to be describing the events from the original Aquaman. This was somewhat confusing for new readers that missed Infinite Crisis and 52 and I could see why. Arthur Joesph Curry was the second Aquaman up until Orin (the original Aquaman) appeared as a Black Lantern in the Blackest Night and later revived by the White Lantern power battery (meaning he was deceased during One Year Later storyline).

#6 Posted by Justthatkid (3811 posts) - - Show Bio

@raw_material: So was Arthur Joseph Curry a rebooted AJ? Or a completely new character based off the Golden Age?

#7 Edited by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid: Completely different Arthur resembling more of the Golden Age Aquaman. He was never a reboot, but more of a substitute or successor to the original Aquaman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.