Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4625 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

The Aquaman Theory; a rant

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Recently, Aquaman has undergone some changes. He's been re-vamped so that he's really strong on land, as well as being a generally handy sort of guy to have around out of water.  In the past, this wasn't the case. How, then, was he useful to the Justice League? The answer is simple: 
    Every once in a while, something would happen where his set of skills were invaluable to saving the world (or someone). 
    You have to wonder exactly what the chances are that some evil 'genius' would think building an underwater lair is a good idea if they knew of Aquaman. It's like Gilligan's Island, with that guy who can build a freaking television out of coconuts but couldn't fix the freaking boat. I know, I know, that would have ended the series, I'm not a MORON, I'm simply saying that the writers could maybe have come up with some excuse as to the whole boat thing. My point is, it's ridiculous to believe that anyone who can honestly attach the word 'genius' to his name would fail to take Aquaman into account.  
    So my theory is this: any character can be useful in a situation, no matter how stupid their powers are, ergo, if they are deemed popular enough (or if a writer likes them enough), they can, at any time, be given their own series, in which only they can save the world or whatever. 
    Let's say someone has the superpower to, I dunno, summon a kitten from another dimension every 2 hours. I can't think of how that would prove useful, but someone out there could, potentially, like him enough to give him his own comic. The costume would be something to see... 
    So that's my theory. Remember, you've been warned, it could theoretically happen to any character, at any time.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Aquaman usually was strong on land as well as the sea, it's just that most of the people that write him in stories think he's a joke

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Martian
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    " Aquaman usually was strong on land as well as the sea, it's just that most of the people that write him in stories think he's a joke "
    This, I believe Aquaman jokes came when he was on the Super-Friends and his own abilities were talking to fish and swimming.
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@Nobody said:
    " @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    " Aquaman usually was strong on land as well as the sea, it's just that most of the people that write him in stories think he's a joke "
    This, I believe Aquaman jokes came when he was on the Super-Friends and his own abilities were talking to fish and swimming. "
    It also doesn't help when every mainstream reference to Aquaman is to him being an effeminate little bitch

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.