The Aquaman Respect Thread

#1 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

...Self explainitory. 
Everyone thinks Aquaman is the most Useless Hero ever, even though he Does Control 75% of the entire World---Whereas It takes Half the JLA to cover the Land and the other Half to cover Space/beyond.  

And yet people call him "gay" and "pathetic" because they don't know enough about him 
(Because their Babies weren't killed by Black Manta)

This guy Seriously needs a respect thread if you ask me.

#2 Edited by longbowhunter (7094 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm always making the same point.  Aquaman technically rules the world by percentage. There is nothing lame about that. I think its just become part of pop culture to pick on Aquaman. There is a motto I live by, "There are no bad characters, just bad writers". In the right hands Aquaman can kick ass.
#3 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7853 posts) - - Show Bio

He was coolest when he had the beard and the hook for a hand.

#4 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8867 posts) - - Show Bio

He was awesome in the Justice League show, especially his introductory episode where he cuts off his own hand to save his son. That was too badass for words. Aquaman  is awesome.

#5 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

#6 Posted by MrDirector786 (43560 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for making this thread. I agree that he's underrated and a respect thread could help show off how cool he is. He's also much stronger than a lot of people think.

#7 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8867 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786 said:
" Thanks for making this thread. I agree that he's underrated and a respect thread could help show off how cool he is. He's also much stronger than a lot of people think. "
So true...
#8 Posted by the referee (2533 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach: @Crom-Cruach said:
" He was awesome in the Justice League show, especially his introductory episode where he cuts off his own hand to save his son. That was too badass for words. Aquaman  is awesome. "
Completly agree plus most people forget how strong Aquaman realy is. Even though he gets his strength from the water he gets stronger on land because there is no deep sea water pressure against him!
#9 Posted by Comicjew (164 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dracade102:
He is mocked, because in the Super Friends-related shows television show he only displays his ability to water-breathing power and aquatic telepathy, as such it would seem he would be unhelpful in a battle on land.
#10 Edited by Aquamariner (203 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn str8! Aquaman is a very powerful character, if handled correctly like Mr. Peter David did back in the 90's. He's the King of DCU Kings if you ask me.  

@Comicjew said:

" @Dracade102:
He is mocked, because in the Super Friends-related shows television show he only displays his ability to water-breathing power and aquatic telepathy, as such it would seem he would be unhelpful in a battle on land. "

Yes... even though I loved that show when I was a kid, if I ever needed a reason to hate the hell out of it, It'd be that exactly.
#11 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8867 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman is awesome
Pictured, aquaman awesome.

#12 Posted by GT-Man (4054 posts) - - Show Bio

The sad thing is you can't never tell when he's peeing sucks becuase you might be standing there and he's peeing all over you :(
#13 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind Aquaman, I'm just not a fan of the underwater fantasy stuff. Like Namor, I can handle him when on the surface and in other stories, but I can't bare reading about Atlantis and whatnot.

I mentioned this thread on Twitter and one of my followers replied with this:

Aquaman is a relic of a simpler time. A time when superheroes were colorful. Innocent. Corny, but in a good way, like Mr. Rogers. Aquaman is a shining counterpoint to the brooding antiheroes (like Batman) who are so popular today. The Boy Scout morality of Superman, without the generic powers. Sure, he's little help on land, but he has his own undersea fantasy world in which he rules. The only difference is that his glories take place in his world, not ours. Besides, he still has super strength and toughness, so he could still put up a reasonable fight against a lot of superheroes/villains on land.

So I just thought I'd share it with the Aquaman fans here : ) 

P.S. If Aquaman was able to control Cthulhu as in that picture above (which he couldn't because Cthulhu is actually an alien, not a sea creature : P ), I'm glad he's a good guy!
#14 Posted by saiyan_earthling (5445 posts) - - Show Bio

Besides Namor, Aquaman's one of my favourite aquatic superheroes.

#15 Posted by gunjin (716 posts) - - Show Bio

i always thought aquaman was legit. esp during the jla run where they face the ancient super friends. he just needs a really good writer and he'll shine, or a good feats display in comics. 

#16 Posted by Winfield (116 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always liked Aquaman but disappointed in his storylines. 
Is there a definitive Aquaman story?

#17 Posted by SuperAquaMan (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman is one the best superheros and also the most underrated. I really hope his new reboot open peoples eyes on how much of a badass he is 
#18 Posted by coldmaster61342 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

I would enjoy his new series more if they stop making civilian disrespect aquaman.

#19 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by sinestro_GL (3160 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman in the n52 simply kicks ASS!

All bow before your king!

#21 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8763 posts) - - Show Bio

Controlling alien sea life

#22 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21 said:

Controlling alien sea life

What's that from?

#23 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79: Waid's JLA run, I believe.

#24 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

shame so many people hate Aquaman. I think he's quite powerful to be honest.

#25 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8763 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: Yes.

@Danial79: Waid's JLA run. Dc Comics Presents: JLA Heaven's Ladder

#26 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21 said:

@Gambit1024: Yes.

@Danial79: Waid's JLA run. Dc Comics Presents: JLA Heaven's Ladder

Cool. So I guess that's proof enough that he could control Cthulhu :)

#27 Posted by TheBigRedCheese (372 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

wtf?
#29 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: You no like?

#30 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79 said:

Cool. So I guess that's proof enough that he could control Cthulhu :)

You need to read Brave and the Bold #32 where he teamed up with the Demon. It tells the story that once every year, the two heroes get together to keep an alien space god (all but calling him Cthulhu) from taking over. There is a gorgeous picture in which Aquaman summons a giant wall of sea life to fight off the alien god's demonic minions. It was epic.

#31 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio
The video was stupid.

@Gambit1024 said:

#32 Edited by Skyfire (752 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman is an awesome character. It really REALLY irritates me when people came him lame and useless without ever touching an Aquaman comic in their lives.

#33 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8763 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skyfire: Tottaly agreed

Aquaman make Karshon return to his original form
Throw a bus on OMAC
#34 Edited by IIDEADxPOOLII (1414 posts) - - Show Bio
Lifting a Submerged tank
Moving fast enough to save Batmans life
#35 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8763 posts) - - Show Bio
Swimming at 10,000 fet per second
Faster than speed torpedo
Swimming at one thousand knots
Moses Aquaman?
#36 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8763 posts) - - Show Bio
AQuaman is fast enough to save to women to be hit by a falling building and knockout Power Ring

@Danial79: @IIDEADxPOOLII:@htb106: @Skyfire: @CODYSF: More scans

#37 Posted by Cole_Mercer (214 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to think that aquaman was lame but i think otherwise after i saw this

#38 Posted by BlackWind (6358 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cole_Mercer: Every character has a bad run. It just so happens Aquaman's stuck around for so many years.

#39 Posted by Cole_Mercer (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackWind said:

@Cole_Mercer: Every character has a bad run. It just so happens Aquaman's stuck around for so many years.

If anyone should be considered a joke, it should be Bane imo

#40 Posted by BlackWind (6358 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cole_Mercer: Why Bane?

#41 Posted by Cole_Mercer (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackWind said:

@Cole_Mercer: Why Bane?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I think that Bane should be considered a joke because every time I watch or read a comic with Bane in it. Batman just simply breaks the cord that supplies him with that venom stuff. You'd think that Bane would figure out a solution to protect it somehow lol, but no.

#42 Posted by KingOfAsh (3611 posts) - - Show Bio
Aquaman summoning a Lovecrafian horror
Aquaman punching out Superman

#43 Edited by ForneverStar (21 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Edited by Aquaneto (161 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Aquaman because he is a regal badass , he has a cool supporting cast and most of his stories are fantastic. Seriously no one mentions this but Aquaman has always had good writers on his solo title.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.